Milk Stout | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Ratings: 1,182 |  Reviews: 473

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A- a dark pour with a brown frothy head and a good amount of lacing.

S- the smell is of chocolate and coffee, with a bit of licorice or anise, and some malt.

T- a very roasty punch brings in dark chocolate and coffee with a root beer like flavor, good malt presence, anise, vanilla.

o- a very nice milk stout that is not as creamy as I would like, but packs a big punch of roasty flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Left Hand Milk Stout.

A: Dark brown/black with two-finger, tan, fizzy head that lasted a minute. Not much lacing.

S: Milk and roasted coffee.

T: Moderate sweetness and light bitterness. Sweet milky cappuccino. Wonderful. This is what a milk stout should taste like.

M: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Very smooth but a tad thin.

O: The taste is fantastic. The appearance, smell, and mouthfeel are just above average in my opinion, but the taste is phenomenal. I like the Left Hand Milk Stout slightly more for being just a little bit better in every other dimension, but this is still one of my favorites.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I love this style. I don't think I've had anything from the brewery afore. Acquired via mail as part of a beer of the month club me sister signed me up for for me birthday.

A: Pours a half finger head of lovely tan colour, fair cream, decent thickness, and bad retention - especially for the merely average ABV. It retains for about thirty seconds. Colour is a predictable solid black.

Sm: Milky with lactose - I can't say I'm surprised. Also pleasant caramel, wonderful roasted barley (an excellent sign in the aroma of a stout), pretty strong capuccino, and hints of something more rich - perhaps chocolate. Some coffee. A moderate strength, aroma, but truly a remarkable one in its complexity and depth. I'm quite fond of the aroma, and I'm hoping the flavour delivers on its promise.

T/Mf: The roasted barley is subtly present for the first act only, with the silky smooth milk notes taking over afterwards. The effect is lovely, more in terms of mouthfeel than flavour perhaps, and helps it avoid feeling too much like a porter. The capuccino, coffee, light chocolate, and subtle caramel flavours that soon reveal themselves are quite complementary to the foundation, giving the beer a rich complexity whilst maintaining an impressive balance. It drinks smooth and wet, but with enough coarseness on the open from the roast and enough thickness to keep it feeling bold. It's never too much or too little, though the mouthfeel could use some more cream (I'm nitpicking). I'm pretty impressed with this beer. Bravo.

Dr: It drinks very easily. I could down this one all night, and I'd be glad to. The alcohol never comes through (not that it's high or anything). A lovely little milk stout that gets me excited to try more beers from the same brewery. This is one I'd love to try on nitro-draught. I'd definitely pick up a six pack of this. I wish it was more available in California.

B+