Milk Stout | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Ratings: 1,179 |  Reviews: 471

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

wow finally found a six pack , what a wonderful taste smell, , it magic on the tongue what a joy , pour the beer it black , taste the beer not overpowering , just great milk stout with a nice aftertaste a winner a great friday night or any time beer i cant pinpoint diffrent smells or taste but i love every thing i do taste go enjoy the beer

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Deep brown, completely opaque, with a thin tan head that doesn't stick around long.

S: Sweet milk/creamer smell, not much else here.

T: Very sweet, almost as if I'm drinking a Guinness with creamer added, but oddly in a good way. This is definitely sweet though, I couldn't handle more than one in a sitting.

M: Almost light, with not much carbonation.

O: I don't know how fresh this was, thanks for the no bottled date, but I would like to try this fresh if I got the chance. There's too much I think missing from this due to it being potentially a bit old.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Appearance- black as coal with a darker edge of more blackness.
Smell. Butterscotch. Yes it smell great.
Taste is buttery with spice and bourbon rolling through.
Feel. Well it is high in carbon and hits me in the chest but it is alright. Lively on the tongue.
Overall. I really like this beer. It is just what i needed today.
Ihavebeen excited to try this beer. We just don't see it in Boise

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

A: black body, trace tan head, very little
lacing

S: big nose of molasses, brown sugar,
coffee, bitter cocoa, oats

T: coffee, malt, bitter choc.,
brown sugar, molasses/smoky finish

M: med/heavy, smooth/chewy mouth
mild front/tongue prick

O: New to this brewery, quite nice.
Not my fav style, but would
recommend + get again.

VERY GOOD, WORTH GETTING!

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

A rich mocha brown color is the color of the beer with an abundance of rich brown foamy head. It's fast fading leaving some spotty lacing on the glass and some surface foam. Aroma is lite on the nose with hints of lactose sweetness cream and roasted malts. A good roasted malt flavor, condensed milk, cocoa, and nuiances of licorise. Feels thin on the palette but smooth and soft. A pretty good stout in my opinion but probably a lot better out of the tap. The bottle version seems weak and watered down a bit.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

Background: I bought of six pack of bottles on sale, as my local store was out of my usual, Butternuts' Moo Thunder Stout. For comparison, Moo Thunder is canned, with no widget. I drink all my beers out of a glass, and I prefer Stouts over everything else, with IPAs a good second.

Without going down the checklist everyone else normally does I did note the following:

Too carbonated. On the one hand, the carbonation made it light and easy to drink, on the other hand, it was like drinking beer soda. I found the carbonation seriously compromised the mouth feel that I normally go for in a stout.

The carbonation created an instant head, but left no lace, which impacted my appearance score.

The flavor was good, but there was a hint of metal that I normally don't appreciate that turns up from time to time. Last time I ran into the metal taste in a stout was Beemish in a widget can (poured into a glass).

As a whole, it smells right, the overall taste was good (excpet for the metal, which I can overlook), but the carbonation was a kick in the pants that I have not experienced for a while. Its a nice back-up beer for sure, but not my first choice. Its hard to not give it a better score, but that carbonation was a real killer for me.

Milk Stout from Lancaster Brewing Company