Strawberry Wheat Beer | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

This American Wheat Lager-style beer, with the subtle suggestion of real strawberries is the perfect pint of true refreshment.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-09-2003

Liked:
3.19/5
Alströms:

1.44/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

07/07/2012
AROMA: Barely fruity, something other than strawberry.
LOOK: Pours Hazy light orange,
TASTE: Blah. Not too pasty.
FEEL: a bit flat, sour, stale. Nothing special

1.5/5  rDev -53%

1.57/5  rDev -50.8%

Put simply, I expected more from this beer.

I poured my bottle into a pint glass and found very little lacing.
The color was a light light amber. But I've never put much stock in color.

The aroma was very weak, nearly undetectable.
The flavor and mouthfeel is where this beer really falls short. With a strawberry wheat, I look for more of the strawberry to come through. I could hardly tell that this beer is either a wheat or a strawberry. There are so many more worth while beers that this better off left to the
non-beer advocate

1.58/5  rDev -50.5%

On tap at BCTC09. I just had to write a review of my terrible experience with this beer. It just layed about leagues below anything else I had to drink that day.

Way too generous pour into my Duvel glass. Pours a murky & oily pinkish amber with a wisp of off-white head.

Smell seems innocent enough. Mixed berries, dusty wheat, & a little steel.

Taste just goes all wrong. Berry punch, a touch sour/tart, acidic upfront, but halfway through all I notice is the ugly margarine. So greasy & disgusting. Heavy, yet still quite frothy. Try & try, every proceeding sip gets more & more dominated by oil & butter.

Just horrible. I'm amazed that I kept the contents of my stomach in check throughout the terrible experience. I saw some people mixing this with the milk stout & having a better time of it. Those were some very tolerable people.

1.72/5  rDev -46.1%

1.76/5  rDev -44.8%

A rare clinker for Lancaster, which normally does good work.

Pours a reddish golden with a slight head. The smell is, as promised, strawberry-ish, but it smelled artificial, or like frozen puree. The taste is even worse, like licking an artificially-flavored strawberry Popsicle. The flavor is so overwhelming that any trace of malt, wheat or hops is simply blasted off the palate. To make matters worse, the flavor becomes even more overpowering as the beer warms and opens in the glass. I stated thinking "Hm, this is OK but not great," but by half way through the flavor was so cloying that it became nearly undrinkable.

This is a serious avoid unless you have a mad passion for strawberry puree.

1.82/5  rDev -42.9%

A - Clear amber with a strawberry tint. Pours a white head with good lacing.
S - Strawberry jam. Odors you'd expect from a sour beer... gym sock?
T - This is not good. Watered down strawberry kool-aid. Little to no wheat flavor, maybe even a bit malty.
M - Carbonation is high, but appropriate. Good mouthfeel.
D - Drinkability severely hampered by the terrible taste.

1.83/5  rDev -42.6%

This fruit beer is for fans of light beers and no desire to drink a real beer. Weak in every way.

The false strawberry flavor permeates but is not even strong enough to mask the ultra weak wheat style. A boring garbage beer that never comes into its own flavor. So light and so nothing.

1.89/5  rDev -40.8%

I am amazed that with all the refined palates reviewing this beer no one in the first couple pages that I read mentioned the big Sarsaparilla note up front. It's root beer, folks. I love this brewery, but this is a non-starter for me. A&W does it better.

1.93/5  rDev -39.5%

Wheat beers are my favorite but t this just missed the mark. Would not drink again. It had a slight sour taste.

1.96/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured amberish/orange with a creamy white head that thinned, but was fairly well retained and left some lacing.
The smell reminiscent of strawberry juice. That's about it.
The taste was very acidic. Reminded me of chewing on a stale battery. Eventually, some hints of something neutralized it a bit, but the acidity stayed.
In the mouth, there was some creaminess that almost saved it, but the stale acid flavor remained.
It was not easy putting this away. A neighbor gave it to me to try. I gave him an Allagash White. He got the good end of the switch. This was acidic and lacked any flavor outside of some strawberry-juicelike flavor that did seem to vanish as the drink progressed.

There is not a lot to say about this one. Very little strawberry flavor is able to get through a very weak wheat beer. No aroma, no complexity, no second chance. And to make is worse, this was on tap at the brewery, I can't imagine how nondescript it must be from a bottle.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: light, clear golden color with small carbonation bubbles. The 1 finger head quickly reduced to hardly any foam.

Smell: slight strawberry and yeast.  The yeast smell is dank, a little old and basement like.

Taste: grainy wheat, somewhat bitter, and the end flavor is exactly Captian Crunch Berries. That flavor is quite fresh in my mind, since I just had a taste of Crunch Berries yesterday - we bought it for a vacation treat for my son. Hence, the strawberry taste is unnatural. I also pick up a slight metallic bite.

Drinkability: the strawberry is overwhelming, it is really fizzy, and light.

Strawberry Wheat Beer from Lancaster Brewing Company