Gold Star Pilsner | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.

Added by stirgy on 03-24-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 102
4.23/5  rDev +17.2%

Bright yellow-gold, with a bit of chill haze, topped by a pure white, sticky, whip cream head. Nice lacing. Inviting.

Low key aroma, with some very fresh hay and spicey notes, but subdued.

The malt enters lightly, slipping down the throat easily, as the hops arise to give a light, fresh rinse which is greatly refreshing, and not so biting as to be off putting to the American lager drinker.

Nice soft mouthfeel. A great drinking beer for the hot days of summer.

Served up a case to a mixed crowd on Mother's Day. At party's end this bottle was the last in the cooler. I'd say that makes for a good crossover beer. Lancaster's comeback really needs more attention, another fine PA brewery. I really must visit the brewpub this summer.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Very light gold/ yellow, translucent. Retains the white head for a long time.

S: Sweet butterscotch.

T: Caramel/ butterscotch. Very rich. Well-balanced malt and hops. Light, perhaps citrus, aftertaste.

M: Smooth and slick caramel. Good carbonation.

D: I could drink this all night long!

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

This is a sophisticated, nuanced, soft and spicy pilsner. A pilsner to be envied by brewers in Plzen, and to be tasted by those who only have been taken in by the advertised True Pilsner of Miller Brewing. The pour is the first clue that your are about to taste a fresh, American pilsner, not one that has spent weeks on a ship in who knows what condition. The aroma is soft and enticing with a wisp of grass and straw and a subtle floral note, no doubt from the three types of hops in the brew. The taste is mouthfilling with a superb balance between the slight toastiness of the ample malt and the above mentioned sophistication of the hopping process. Spicy pepper from the Saaz and a mellow bitterness from the German hops gives a refreshing, crisp note to the mid palate. Finishes with some mouth coating maltiness, then a final residual, floral bitterness. Well done.

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

I had this pilsner along time ago, and loved it. So now that I'm a big time reviewer on BA, I had to get a Lancaster sampler and comment on them. This Gold Star Pilsner gets a gold star in my book.

Although hazy, and not clear gold did not turn me away from this brew. I see this nice 2 inch thick white head that sits well. I could smell this beer all day as my nostrils take in this buttery, doughy bread with a twist of lemon.

As It coats the palate with the slight doughy malt sweetness the hops *BOOM* release all over the place, and dance on the buds, and on the inside of your mouth for a long time. Good amount of carbonation ends with a crisp hoppy finish. Lacing all the way down. I am pleased.

Overall great MADE IN USA pilsner. I highly recommend this one.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last