Gold Star Pilsner | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.

Added by stirgy on 03-24-2003

3.4/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz. bottle

Pours a light amber with a fluffy white head that maintains well. Thick lacing on the glass. It looks rather good, but too dark for a pilsner.

Has a lightly sweet caramel malt aroma with a light amount of herbal hops. Also, a slight fruitiness is present. Is there really a pilsner in here?

Upfront is a caramel malt flavor and a slight fruitiness. This is followed by a nice bitter hop bite and rather herbal hop flavor. It finishes a bit dry with a lingering bitterness and hoppy taste.

Nicely carbonated, creamy texture.

This is a decent beer, but disappointing to a man craving a crisp and spicy pils.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

This poured out a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a decent sized white fizzy head. The left the scene like it owed my money shortly after the pour. Roasted grain is what I first smelled, though after a while I believe it smelled like hay. There was some roasted scent, malt and a bit of spice notes sprinkled about over the hay. The flavor was a bit sweet with malts while have a roasted grain character to it as well. There were a good amount of hops balancing it out and lending a nice bitterness to it as well. Mouthfeel was about average with no notable aspects standing out or detracting from this brew. With a pretty good flavor this was definitely an easy drinking brew I could put down a few of if I was in the mood for a pilsner.

3.6/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a slightly cloudy golden color with a creamy white head of foam topping the brew off. The aroma has a good balance of fruity sweet hops and musty malt. The taste is fruity with sweet malts that combines with a pleasant bitterness. Some floral sweetness and caramel spiciness comes through. The beer is medium bodied and pretty well blended. Not as crisp and tasty as other Pilsners. This is actually more like a Golden fest beer. More sweeter than I expected, but fine nevertheless.

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazed golden pils color with a white head and a few surprise chunks (I mean chunks) of protein coagulation. Bready and husky malt aroma. Pretty clean taste but somewhat flawed for some reason; predominantly malty and husky, with minimal hops other than a small bite. Pretty good but not my favorite style of pilsener.

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a fluffy bright white head. Clear, deep yellow liquid...a shade or so darker than the usual Pils. Nose is zesty maltiness with grassy and lightly herbal hop notes, nice and clean. The taste is crisp and hoppy right out of the gate. Substantial maltiness gives this great body and mouthfeel. More grassy/citrusy hoppiness appears mid-line, finishes on a slightly metallic hop note. A great example of an American pilsner, reccomended!

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Semi-transparent golden body with some orange, big white, rocky head with good retention and great lace. No carbonation.
Kickass floral and hay scents with spiced hop oils and mild malt.
Mild to moderate malts up front that grows rapidly with honey notes then washes into a dry hop aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is full and spiked, far from smooth, and a refreshing change from your usual lager. Some coating and slick feel.
Great drinkability, interesting and easy to enjoy.

-Oelergud

3.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.22/5  rDev +20.2%

Poureed a color somewhere between hay yellow and gold, with a fluffy head that fell to a thin but clumpy sheen. Showed a light and amoeba-like stain with plenty of nice carbonation underneath, as a good pils should.

Smelled of a full pale malt, reminiscent of a whitebread loaf fresh out the oven. Had hoppy florals of a soft herbal variety, with some soft grass and hay funk tones. Occasional fruity esters abound, too - I really liked these.

Tasted of tasty bitter: creamy with the smallest lemon tone, it had a solid thin and dry bitterness. Malt was light and just balancing, as the beer came across as very juicy with hints of fruitiness. Its moderate finish was of a fresh and barely green hops, rolling out into more oily and tart flavors. I saw some chunks floating around on the second pour, but they gave the beer a nice taste though. Mouthfeel was thin but not too much so.

I rather like this pilsener, it really surprised me with how good it was. Could drink a bunch in a row.

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

Nice, simple label and graphics. There is no born on or freshness date. However, it does say that it is “all natural” and unfiltered. I later find out that it is bottle conditioned. This is helpful and puts me at ease, since I bought it at a place of questionable turnover.

Had to give this baby a high score for appearance. First, it simply erupts in the glass when poured. I used my trusty imperial pint glass. If I got half the bottle out in the first pour, I was lucky. The first thing you see is a big, billowy, and fluffy head that was completely untamable. When I enjoyed my first one, I was impatient and used the old college keg trick of putting a bit of my nose grease on the top to kill the head. It poured a hazy golden copper with some light flecks of yeast roaming around. Those Penn folks really know how to fill a bottle, since I got the same “wow” experience when I first opened up the Love Stout. A pillow of sea foam like head withstood my hearty proboscis grease and road down the glass with the sticky lacing.

An interesting grass, hay, and lemon aroma was oozing out of the volcanic head. I kept thinking that it smelled more like an Allagash-style Belgian, with a definite yeast note.

Slick on the tongue with a great mix of high bitterness, mixed with a strong malt backbone and a spicy tinge. This is crisp, easy drinking and dry, finishing very clean. The carbonation mentioned before is (burp) evident in the medium mouthfeel as well. The yeast, however, detracts from the malt and hops, so I took a bit of points off for that. I'll keep it in the cellar, and see how it is in a few months.

The website has this listed as a Bohemian pilsner, and this is an excellent example of the style. I’ve recently had the Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell and the Lancaster blows them out of the water.

Notes: Though not quite a five star quality in every way, this would definitely be a solid session brew. Drinking this makes me imagine myself out on the Grady White, bobbing around, doing my best to catch all the flounder at the Jersey shore.

4.21/5  rDev +19.9%

"Not pasteurized," "Brewed Naturally," and "without preservatives." I don't know what "brewed naturally" infers, but I like the other two. Now all we need is a freshness date and we would be all set.

Clear light gold with a medium-sized white head that does not stay for too long, but laces well.

Smell is deep, seedy continental hops. If I close my eyes I am in Prague with a vine in front of me with its thick, juicy cones inches from my nostrils.

Dry from the get-go, there is only an impressionistic background of grain as the vinous and herbal attributes work their way to the foreground. The colors are more muted than expected. In the end, honey is the only flavor accompanying the hops, which are by this point dusty and musty.

Feel is crisp and bitter, as well it should be. It surprisingly leaves the back of my tongue in favor of the salty sides quickly after the majority passes through.

Drinking this is easy and enjoyable. Thank you Lancaster for sharing your talent with me.

3.4/5  rDev -3.1%

3.76/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a bottle chilled at 50 degrees (F) into a tulip glass, it pours a honey color with a 1/3" head that appears white and creamy. I notice a slight haze thru the glass.

Aroma is rather pungeunt of hops with a slight caramel sweetness, and some grainy maltiness and even a biscuit aroma due to the grains. However, not all that appealing to me overall.

Taste is of bitter apricots accompanying a smooth grainy malt flavor (bready/biscuit). The finish leaves a sweet apricot taste on my tongue as well as a grassy hoppy note (rather nice).

The carbonation hits sharply on the first 1/2 of my tongue upon sipping, but it quickly becomes smooth and nice throughout; not much alcohol felt either.

Decent pils brew. I am not really a pils fan, but I do like this one. It is easy to drink, not too heavy, and not too grainy and "bready" tasting, which is what bothers me about a lot of pils. Overall, a crisp, light, nicely crafted brew from Lancaster.

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearence: Poured into my Prima Pils glass a clear copper with a thin, bubbly off-white head. There is loads of carbonation in this beer.

Smell: The smell has a very bland malt quality to it that is unbalanced. There are no hops present.

Taste and Mouthfeel: While there is hardly any hop flavor in this brew, the malts are quite tasty and almost have a wheat type quality to them. Bread and cereal come to mind, but not in a bland or generic way. The simple complexities are just about perfect. The mouthfeel is thin and crisp.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an excellent pilsener from and excellent brewery. It may not be the best pilsener in the world (definitly not the best smelling), but it's crisp, enjoyable, and very drinkable. Perfect for this warm spring day.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bright slightly dark gold with a thin head and lots of carbonation. Aroma is sharp and clean, nice light Saaz and toasted malt.

Taste is sweet golden malt with a hint of sourness. A slight orange citrus edge, more than I would expect in a pils. More body and bittersweet flavors than a typical pilsner. Needs to be lighter, more Saaz and less [other] hops. Finishes with a dry hoppy aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium but heavier than a pilsner should be. This is a good beer but I have to bring the numbers down a little because I think they missed the style.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a hazy orange with a finger of rocky white head and a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is is a subdued grass, hay, and floral hops. Taste starts out with a light malt sweetness followed quickly by a grassy and spicey hop finish. Medium bodied with a very soft smooth mouthfeel and a dryish finish. This is a pretty nice easy drinking pilsner.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%