Modelo Especial
Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo EspecialModelo Especial
Score:
Ranked #50,762
2.86 | pDev: 22.38%
From:
Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Mexico
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Modelo EspecialModelo Especial
Notes: Brewed as a model of what good beer should be, this rich, full-flavored Pilsner-style Lager delivers a crisp, refreshing taste.

Well-balanced taste and light hop character with a crisp, clean finish. Modelo Especial is characterized by an orange blossom honey aroma with a hint of herb.
View: Beers
Reviews: 699 | Ratings: 2,689 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Brondeau:
Brondeau from Connecticut

3.39/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not bad. Quite refreshing. Beats Corona for me. Not as good as Longfin which I had this summer but better than Narragansett and PBR. Very gold and bubbly. Cute bottle. July 2015 12 oz bottle as part of a beers of the world gift box from Walt for my birthday.

Jul 18, 2015
Jason from Massachusetts

3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Bit more flavour than your usual Mexi-Lager, this is a prefered lager I have when enjoying south-of-the-border cuisine. No lime is needed being that there is less offensive off flavours to try and mask. Best consumed ice cold.

Aug 18, 2002
PhilHeinricke from Virginia

3.6/5  rDev +25.9%

This Beer Surprised Me

First of all, I was surprised when the waiter brought it to me. I had ordered a Negra Modelo. He brought me Modelo Especial. I don't like to make a big fuss especially with the man who is going to be delivering my food so I went with the flow.

Second, I was surprised that I liked this beer. It's a beautiful clear golden color with a little bit of a head on top. It has a nice summertime taste and a smooth feel. This is the type of beer that you want when you're sitting at a Mexican beach resort or on your deck in the summertime. It's not heavy; it was a good taste; and it doesn't have a high level of alcohol so you can have a few without getting buzzed (although some people consider this a bad thing, but when the surf's up, you want to be ready to go).

Overall, it's a decent but not spectacular warm weather thirst quencher.

May 18, 2015
RaulMondesi from California

Everything you want in a Mexican Lager; light like Alexis Ren after a fresh steam, and crisp like Adriana Lima walkin’ down The catwalk in September. Nowhere near amazing, but I still feel it, ya feel me?

Apr 24, 2018
RoyalT from Ohio

1.28/5  rDev -55.2%

Appearance – Yellow with an orangish tinge and a medium-sized head that disappeared without a trace in seconds.

Smell – I can’t really make out this one. It smells vegetal. Whatever it is, it’s not beer.

Taste – This is definitely not to my liking. I can’t pick out any typical beer flavors like hops, malts, grain, or sweetness of any kind. It’s almost like drinking pureed cauliflour or lawn grass. It’s not skunked, though. I just can’t figure out what they put in it.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation isn’t bad, but I’m going to be apologizing to my tongue for weeks.

Drinkability – You could sell this at a stand in the middle of the Sahara desert and wounded, sick, emaciated, nomads would walk right by it. But, it sells like crazy so what do I know.

Comments – I hate to offer nothing constructive, and I know some of the other BAs found things to like about it, but I just can’t write anything in all honesty even remotely favorable about this especial brew. I thought it estunk.

Aug 29, 2003
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.59/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A good Mexican AAL, one that I prefer to Corona, though somewhat bland. I recall having been most of the way through my first twelve-pack of these at the age of 25, when I got the call for a job interview. I brushed my teeth and came right over, aced the interview, and worked at that place for over ten years, doubling my income in the meantime. Maybe I should drink more Modelo these days, lol.

Dec 13, 2017
headlessparrot from Canada (ON)

3.26/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Taking a look at the Canadian version, which ups the ABV to 4.5%.

What shocked me is that I actually, actively enjoyed this beer. Sipping it from the bottle, I commented to my girlfriend, "Damn--this is what Corona would taste like if Corona was actually any good."

And I stand by that assessment: it's got a decent malt backbone, crisp, not overly sweet, and a surprising amount of body and substance for such a low ABV. Decent hop aromatics, even if not a lot of bitterness or hop character comes through in the taste. It's not a great beer, but it's really an enjoyable one--especially straight from the bottle, and especially on a hot, sunny day. Only recently available in Canada, I am actually pretty happy it's made its way here.

Sep 02, 2015
harsley from Massachusetts

4.12/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a good beer if you review it to the style. Too many people review this low because they don’t like the style. This is way better than most American made adjunct lagers I’ve tried. Very refreshing, no weird sweetness and you can taste the malt and hops. Highly crushable with some brisket tacos.

Apr 15, 2018
Harrison8 from Missouri

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nearly crystal-clear yellow-orange with a finger of white head. Head retention is okay with a long, lingering ring of white foam. Aroma is dank from the moment the bottle cap is pryed off. Herbal, floral, and rye hops add a little spiciness. Flavor profile is dank, herbal, floral, and rye hops with a touch of biscuit malt at the end. Nice dry spiciness to it. The dank note lingers for a long while. Mouth feel is thin and fizzy, but refreshing and nearing a crispy feel. Overall, a good lager with a refreshing quality. Dank notes can't be understated.

Served in a 12oz snifter from a 12oz bottle.

May 12, 2018
metter98 from New York

2.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn and grainy malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has initial flavors of corn (and hints of sweetness) followed by notes of grainy malts and a light amount of hop bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not really watery) on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and isn't really that bad when compared to other beers in the style.

Apr 08, 2013
dacrza1 from New Jersey

1.66/5  rDev -42%

DATE TASTED: January 25, 2015... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsner... OCCASION: celebrating a rather easy Cavs win over the Thunder... APPEARANCE: clear copper body; pours a rashly fizzing head that comes to nothing quickly; a solitary bubble ascends; no lacing... AROMA: sweet, syrupy malts are front and center; biscuit and bread suggest a standard premium pilsener... PALATE: soft, apologetic and thin--drinkable but fizzy...TASTE: candied caramel malts and oats combine with some flowery hints to create a below-average, pitchy flavor...OVERALL: the can suggests it is the Mexican Miller, and not much in the can suggests the contrary; a good beer to finish the night with, when other quality beers have already been quaffed; as a sessional, meh...as a study, a fast, unrewarding one...

Jan 26, 2015
Nora3 from New York

2.03/5  rDev -29%

felt like a mexican pbr

Jan 03, 2015
Davedrinkinbeer from Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Beer has a light feel overall, but a consistent mouthful, with hops and light spice throughout. Light feel overall, and moderate carbonation. Beer has light grain smell, and not much else-- this is not a complex beer at all.

This is a hard to beat beer for a hot summer day-- very enjoyable overall, and one can actually enjoy this Mexican beer without any fruit! One of the better Mexican beers.

Mar 25, 2018
MFMB from Idaho

3.46/5  rDev +21%

Overall this is a good beer. It's bottle and packaging definitely out do the taste but it's better than holding a Corona with the hipsters.

Jan 24, 2015
choll from New Jersey

4.5/5  rDev +57.3%

Had on tap. Smooth Mexican beer. Somewhat sweet taste very easy to drink. Have to try it in cans and bottles and see how much difference there is. Would get on tap again. Cheers.

May 07, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.31/5  rDev +15.7%

My can kick rolls on ...

My pour resulted in a big, bone-white head that immediately began falling away. The color was a deep golden yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles. The nose had a dry, musty scent along with a mild sweetness. Mouthfeel was on the thin side with a light sweetness on the tongue. The finish was slightly sweet. This was an innocuous beer, very drinkable/ sessionable, and would go well with food.

Mar 08, 2008
ShiftyMagoo from Arkansas

2.65/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is a middle of the road beer. Very drinkable in social occasions. This is my go to beer at the lake, ice cold on a warm day. I prefer this over the other big Mexican beers. Very clean, aftertaste is pretty much non-existent, not heavy at all.

Jul 07, 2015
Apartment-drinker from California

The best Mexican beer there is! The bottle is awesome the cans taste better that the bottles! If your drinking these A) you got some money B) you like to party C) you got good taste
Mexican beers don't get the ratings they deserve on this site, look I like some fancyass expensive beers too but that's not always what's right for the occasion and for some of the best occasions your going to have Model is the beer of choice!!

Nov 26, 2017
navy67 from Michigan

1.79/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I am so glad that this was brought to my house, because I can't see justifying how I spent money on it. Bud light has a cleaner taste to it, and don't even mention about the pour......where is the nice crisp foam? I rated it low, because of the following. I will give it points for the nice bottle and a well done commercial, but for taste, it was pretty bland. For look, the color was nice, but not even a quarter finger of foam, and even that dissipated once I poured it. Smell, well, it was decent. Taste was not very fresh, kind of left a metallic linger.....and that was from a bottle. The only feel I had was disappointment. Overall, I didn't care for the beer, but again, pretty nice commercial.

Jan 08, 2018
LA_Hue24 from California

3.81/5  rDev +33.2%

For what it is. A massively produced beer. It is consistently good. Not flavorful but after a long days work a 3 pack of ice cold tall cans hits a spot that craft beer just can’t in my case. I love craft but will probably still drink modelos in my micheladas and when I want to pound several beers

Dec 14, 2017
ConfusedCat from Canada (ON)

3.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Inoffensive, watery, and refreshing, not a bad summer beer at all. Tastes better with a lime, but unlike Corona which is absolute crap it also tastes good without a lime, which is how a beer should be rated.

Mar 17, 2018
thebadone24 from California

3.57/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I would give this beer a lower mark if I only had it out of a can, but the bottled version (with a lime in it) makes for the perfect summer companion (and provides a better alternative to Corona or dark Mexican beers.) Not perfect, but not terrible either, and you could do a lot worse in terms of beer selection than Modelo Especial.

Mar 08, 2018
WojoVT from Vermont

4.4/5  rDev +53.8%

So many people in this forum critiquing beers like Modelo like it's a craft beer when they are meant to be drank either as a thirst quencher or in quantity.
Look: looks like a beer
Smell: yeasty
Taste: not the best beer ever, but after three margaritas, not bad, tastes like a Mexican pilsner (which it is)
Feel: oh boy I'm gonna feel those three margaritas tomorrow when my daughter wakes me up at 6:30 am. It feels like drinking a Mexican beer
Overall: I'm from VT - home of Hill Farmstead, Heady Topper, Fiddlehead, and countless other great craft beers which I enjoy to the fullest extent. Stop critiquing beers like Modelo (which I'm drinking right now) like they should earn the respect of other craft beers and have a feel, nose, head etc... don't waste your time... oh.... oops..

Apr 02, 2017
SEATTLITERON1942 from Washington

Some of the ratings..... it just sounds like they don't prefer lager. This is a fine lager. We had it on draft at our local mexican restaurant. Love the smell and the flavor was so good with our macho burrito. I had it in the bottle at home when on the computer and got a better idea of it's full flavor. If you like lager try this one.

Jul 17, 2018
tbrax34 from New York

3.74/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A great beach beer. Way better than its Mexican peers or most cheap American beers. It’s not a high end beer, but you shouldn’t be buying it for that reason so it’s silly to complain about it. there’s a time and a place for a beer like this, and in that time and at that place, this is a great beer to which to turn.

Nov 30, 2017
Modelo Especial from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 67 out of 100 with 2689 ratings