Modelo Especial | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo EspecialModelo Especial
2.82/5
Poor
Modelo EspecialModelo Especial

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico

Ratings: 2,319 |  Reviews: 601
Reviews by DMc8ride:
2.75/5  rDev -2.5%

3.4/5  rDev +20.6%

Bit more flavour than your usual Mexi-Lager, this is a prefered lager I have when enjoying south-of-the-border cuisine. No lime is needed being that there is less offensive off flavours to try and mask. Best consumed ice cold.

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%

This Beer Surprised Me

First of all, I was surprised when the waiter brought it to me. I had ordered a Negra Modelo. He brought me Modelo Especial. I don't like to make a big fuss especially with the man who is going to be delivering my food so I went with the flow.

Second, I was surprised that I liked this beer. It's a beautiful clear golden color with a little bit of a head on top. It has a nice summertime taste and a smooth feel. This is the type of beer that you want when you're sitting at a Mexican beach resort or on your deck in the summertime. It's not heavy; it was a good taste; and it doesn't have a high level of alcohol so you can have a few without getting buzzed (although some people consider this a bad thing, but when the surf's up, you want to be ready to go).

Overall, it's a decent but not spectacular warm weather thirst quencher.

1.28/5  rDev -54.6%

Appearance – Yellow with an orangish tinge and a medium-sized head that disappeared without a trace in seconds.

Smell – I can’t really make out this one. It smells vegetal. Whatever it is, it’s not beer.

Taste – This is definitely not to my liking. I can’t pick out any typical beer flavors like hops, malts, grain, or sweetness of any kind. It’s almost like drinking pureed cauliflour or lawn grass. It’s not skunked, though. I just can’t figure out what they put in it.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation isn’t bad, but I’m going to be apologizing to my tongue for weeks.

Drinkability – You could sell this at a stand in the middle of the Sahara desert and wounded, sick, emaciated, nomads would walk right by it. But, it sells like crazy so what do I know.

Comments – I hate to offer nothing constructive, and I know some of the other BAs found things to like about it, but I just can’t write anything in all honesty even remotely favorable about this especial brew. I thought it estunk.

3.59/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A good Mexican AAL, one that I prefer to Corona, though somewhat bland. I recall having been most of the way through my first twelve-pack of these at the age of 25, when I got the call for a job interview. I brushed my teeth and came right over, aced the interview, and worked at that place for over ten years, doubling my income in the meantime. Maybe I should drink more Modelo these days, lol.

1.66/5  rDev -41.1%

DATE TASTED: January 25, 2015... GLASSWARE: 22 oz. pilsner... OCCASION: celebrating a rather easy Cavs win over the Thunder... APPEARANCE: clear copper body; pours a rashly fizzing head that comes to nothing quickly; a solitary bubble ascends; no lacing... AROMA: sweet, syrupy malts are front and center; biscuit and bread suggest a standard premium pilsener... PALATE: soft, apologetic and thin--drinkable but fizzy...TASTE: candied caramel malts and oats combine with some flowery hints to create a below-average, pitchy flavor...OVERALL: the can suggests it is the Mexican Miller, and not much in the can suggests the contrary; a good beer to finish the night with, when other quality beers have already been quaffed; as a sessional, meh...as a study, a fast, unrewarding one...

The best Mexican beer there is! The bottle is awesome the cans taste better that the bottles! If your drinking these A) you got some money B) you like to party C) you got good taste
Mexican beers don't get the ratings they deserve on this site, look I like some fancyass expensive beers too but that's not always what's right for the occasion and for some of the best occasions your going to have Model is the beer of choice!!

2.83/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn and grainy malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has initial flavors of corn (and hints of sweetness) followed by notes of grainy malts and a light amount of hop bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not really watery) on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and isn't really that bad when compared to other beers in the style.

3.26/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Taking a look at the Canadian version, which ups the ABV to 4.5%.

What shocked me is that I actually, actively enjoyed this beer. Sipping it from the bottle, I commented to my girlfriend, "Damn--this is what Corona would taste like if Corona was actually any good."

And I stand by that assessment: it's got a decent malt backbone, crisp, not overly sweet, and a surprising amount of body and substance for such a low ABV. Decent hop aromatics, even if not a lot of bitterness or hop character comes through in the taste. It's not a great beer, but it's really an enjoyable one--especially straight from the bottle, and especially on a hot, sunny day. Only recently available in Canada, I am actually pretty happy it's made its way here.

3.81/5  rDev +35.1%

For what it is. A massively produced beer. It is consistently good. Not flavorful but after a long days work a 3 pack of ice cold tall cans hits a spot that craft beer just can’t in my case. I love craft but will probably still drink modelos in my micheladas and when I want to pound several beers

3.39/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Not bad. Quite refreshing. Beats Corona for me. Not as good as Longfin which I had this summer but better than Narragansett and PBR. Very gold and bubbly. Cute bottle. July 2015 12 oz bottle as part of a beers of the world gift box from Walt for my birthday.

3.46/5  rDev +22.7%

Overall this is a good beer. It's bottle and packaging definitely out do the taste but it's better than holding a Corona with the hipsters.

2.65/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is a middle of the road beer. Very drinkable in social occasions. This is my go to beer at the lake, ice cold on a warm day. I prefer this over the other big Mexican beers. Very clean, aftertaste is pretty much non-existent, not heavy at all.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very light yellow color with a lot of visible carbonation. Both the nose and the flavor are seemingly one in the same. Luckily this strays away from a lot of the skunky flavors that plague this style, especially when placed into a clear glass bottle. There is just a touch of light grain husks and not much else. Decent enough brew and definitely better than others from this brewery.

3.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It's a good cheap low end kinda beer. Great for parties or relaxing with something plain. Taste a little like bread but it goes down really smooth. I drink Modelo at bars that don't have any kind of selection.

3.74/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A great beach beer. Way better than its Mexican peers or most cheap American beers. It’s not a high end beer, but you shouldn’t be buying it for that reason so it’s silly to complain about it. there’s a time and a place for a beer like this, and in that time and at that place, this is a great beer to which to turn.

3.05/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a crystal clear light yellow with a 1 inch puffy white head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. No lacing on this beer on the drink down. Smell is of grain/corn and some fruity notes. Taste is of grains and corn with some pretty good fruity flavors. A mild bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a crisp and clean mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty average beer but not that bad all around compared to other stuff on the market.

3.71/5  rDev +31.6%

Look at all the complainers on here weeping about the quality of Mexican water and how Mexican beers aren't worth the packaging they're put in. Why are beers like this still reviewed as if they are craft brews from an obscure micro-brewery that only uses ingredients pertaining to a 400 hundred year tradition? This is a mass produced corn beer and it's a respectable one, too. It's got some hints of citrus, a good, creamy feel to it, the color is relatively attractive and the carbonation isn't overdone.

If you wanted a good beer, this is a good choice. Ignore the beer snobs who say otherwise. If you can get this at a decent price, you won't be disappointed. That is, if you go into drinking it knowing what it is and what it isn't. Modelo is a great alternative to Corona and is a fantastic beer to relax in the sun with.

1.79/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I am so glad that this was brought to my house, because I can't see justifying how I spent money on it. Bud light has a cleaner taste to it, and don't even mention about the pour......where is the nice crisp foam? I rated it low, because of the following. I will give it points for the nice bottle and a well done commercial, but for taste, it was pretty bland. For look, the color was nice, but not even a quarter finger of foam, and even that dissipated once I poured it. Smell, well, it was decent. Taste was not very fresh, kind of left a metallic linger.....and that was from a bottle. The only feel I had was disappointment. Overall, I didn't care for the beer, but again, pretty nice commercial.

2.03/5  rDev -28%

felt like a mexican pbr

4.4/5  rDev +56%

So many people in this forum critiquing beers like Modelo like it's a craft beer when they are meant to be drank either as a thirst quencher or in quantity.
Look: looks like a beer
Smell: yeasty
Taste: not the best beer ever, but after three margaritas, not bad, tastes like a Mexican pilsner (which it is)
Feel: oh boy I'm gonna feel those three margaritas tomorrow when my daughter wakes me up at 6:30 am. It feels like drinking a Mexican beer
Overall: I'm from VT - home of Hill Farmstead, Heady Topper, Fiddlehead, and countless other great craft beers which I enjoy to the fullest extent. Stop critiquing beers like Modelo (which I'm drinking right now) like they should earn the respect of other craft beers and have a feel, nose, head etc... don't waste your time... oh.... oops..

3.5/5  rDev +24.1%

2.03/5  rDev -28%

2.65/5  rDev -6%

I have to put this out there. This is in regard to style; this is an adjunct rating. An overall rating, this would not compare. That being said lets move forword.

Im drinking straight from can. I cannot see the color but I imagine its going to be a lighter color like bud compared to mgd. In taste i want to say it taste closer to coors but coors taste like a dry smoked hangover. This tastes like the piss of Ninkasi. Ninkasi brews sexy IPAs and Porters and then pisses Modelo, cans it in a sexy classic can, and fizzy barley pop drink it to feel "adventurous". Not the worst I've had, actually pretty happy drinking it. Would take over any miller standard brands.

I do enjoy that it has a nice coat on the tongue that lingers a little. To me it is suprising because it is very champagne like. Very bubbly very watery. After taste does hint sweet, almost no hop. Nice sweet and bread, but not sweet bread.

This is a true barley pop, true to adjunct lager.

Modelo Especial from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 2.82 out of 5 with 2,319 ratings