Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Modelo Especial | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo EspecialModelo Especial
2.82/5
Poor
Modelo EspecialModelo Especial

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001

3.4

Ratings: 2,279 |  Reviews: 592

2.25/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a dimpled beer mug.

Beer #7 in my great American Adjunct lager hunt (even though this is Mexican, I still consider it to be under the adjunct lager umbrella, sorry).

A-Deep gold, looks better than the typcial Adjunct piss yellow color. Poured a 1/2 finger soda water head that fizzled quickly and left a slight white ring around the edges of the beer. No lacing at all. Lower carbonation in the glass.

S-Grain, sweet corn, and water.

T-For a cheap Mexican-American Adjunct style lager, it actually had some sweet malt character. Of course the dominant tastes were corn and cheap cereal. The aftertaste was wet and didn't leave a strong aftertaste, which is what I like in a good cheap lager.

M-Highly carbonated and it did quench my thirst. There was an element of crispness, but nothing too special. Quite watery, really.

Overall-I had no expectations when I bought this. It surprised me more than I thought it would. It wasn't spectacular, and in fact, it was quite average. It's just a good way to wash down spicy food.

2.71/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is to be enjoyed at the pool or on the beach... or maybe just on a hot day. Other than that I dont advise this beer. It is something only to be enjoyed when its a perfect day out. Also i advise drinking it out of the bottle rather than the can, the can for this beer does not do it justice. Especially how the bottle's cap is wrapped in gold paper.

3.09/5  rDev +9.6%

From the 12 fl. oz. can marked K0720039-14:41. Sampled on February 19, 2013

I made some homemade salsa and I just had to crack open a can of Mexican beer. Today it happened to be Modelo Especial. The pour is a nice golden yellow with a fizzy white head the dissolves quickly.

I did use the lime wedge so most of my analysis is tainted. But ignoring the lime I get a corn, pale grainy malts, and a clean hop character.

The body is light and creamy.

The taste has this bready malt forward note with a clean hop finish. It does what it is supposed to do.

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%

Modelo Especial from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 2.82 out of 5 with 2,279 ratings