Corona Extra
Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra
Score:
Ranked #50,545
2.33 | pDev: 32.19%
From:
Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Mexico
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Awful
Corona ExtraCorona Extra
Notes: Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,344 | Ratings: 5,459 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
HardTarget from Texas

12 oz. clear bottle with a BB of Oct 2021 (sampled May 2021).

Appearance: Clear pale straw body, no head.

Aroma: Mild malt sweetness, corn, and a fair bit of skunk.

Taste: Same as it smells, mild yeasty note, classic lager profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium low body, medium high carbonation, clean finish.

Overall: It's Corona! Pretty classic adjunct lager brew, not much flavor, not much expected. A squeeze of lime and it's easy drinking. About as far from Craft Beer as you can get, so I understand the low scores, but there is nothing wrong here. Pretty perfect for a Cinco De Mayo or a day on the beach or in the hot sun. Not anything I'm going to pick over a craft beer, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at one. Neither should you.

Thursday at 12:04 AM
Sigmund from Norway

2.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

March 2002: "Over-priced beer with a silly lime-slice gimmick to attract stock-broker wannabes and other idiots. Pass." Well, I know some quite respectable ladies who actually like this, and I try not to harrass them for it. Personally I avoid it, with or without the lime wedge.

Monday at 09:40 PM
LeBron_James from Canada (ON)

1.58/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

2nd time reviewing the garbage adjuncts from the high school party days. Went as poorly as I expected.
Looks amber with no head and no lacing.
Literally 0 smell very obviously an adjunct with corn or something.
The taste is gross. Just a bad beer it's corny with no malt character or hops whatsoever as far as I can tell.
The mouthfeel is actually unpleasant. Carbonation is very high but the feel is just light and thin.
Overall... buy craft

Feb 14, 2021
Alic099 from England

4.69/5  rDev +101.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely love this beer, takes me right to the Spanish Beach.

First time I had this was at my mate Barry's family BBQ, the wife hated it she was having a shit day, the kids were being annoying but not my problem. One sip in and I was transported to el barrio. I couldn't even hear the Mrs moaning, I was in pure bliss.

The bottle alone is a sexy silhouette that lures you in. The slightly sweet taste captures you and needs you wanting another sip. Needs to be served cold with a slice of lime but I make sure I always have shelf full in my fridge, sorry kids, this is the beer shelf only, none of your frubes in here lol.

I love this beer and rate it highly, but personally I don't want to be too giving, so going in just under 5

She's a stunner

Feb 12, 2021
DrOfGolf from Florida

2.18/5  rDev -6.4%

When we had pizza the other night, found these Coronita Extra (small bottles) out in the fridge in the garage. Wife had them out there and thought I'd toss back a few. Not like I remembered them from back in the early 90s. Decent with Pizza

Jan 17, 2021
Veegenius from Massachusetts

3.27/5  rDev +40.3%

This is a good beer for New beer drinkers. Its light in color and taste. I drink only Heineken Lights. When I first started drinking beer I thought Heineken was the strongest, worst tasting. I drank shitty beers with friends in our younger days not knowing what I was consuming and ended up sick. Corona was a easy, light beer to take down. But for years Heineken has been my choice. It doesn't make me feel shitty in any way. SO I was just given a 6 pack of this Corona Extra (been years) which saves me a store trip! But now that I am older... I am not sure if I am buggin, But i am burping up foam. Why? Its strange. Like I have to get up to spit it out. What is this?

Jan 16, 2021
Phoodcritic from Michigan

1.7/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

From a can. Truly a deplorable beer. Having one of these is one too many. Unlike Corona Light, the problem isn’t the absence of flavor. It’s the flavor itself. Just awful.

Jan 01, 2021
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

1.94/5  rDev -16.7%

A 7 oz. bottle of this has been sitting in my Dad's refrigerator for two years. Obviously, no one is interested, so I'll make some room in the box. For what I understand, the duration won't augment nor detract from its original taste. Poured into a pint glass to maximize its qualities, it shows a very light and crystal clear amber color. There's no head nor lacing. If your nose tries real hard, well into the glass, it may detect a faint hint of common beer. It drinks like a beer seltzer with more stimulation from the carbonation than any flavor. There's no other description other than nearly tasteless.

Jan 01, 2021
mac_tre from California

1.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Just writing some words down to qualify for a review so I can say I contribute on here. Just a few more words to go and I’ll reach 150 characters to make this legit

Dec 31, 2020
Caldwan123 from Iowa

1.45/5  rDev -37.8%

Recently bought a 40oz bottle at a local convenience store. I got to say not at all a good beer. This may be one of the worst beers. I have ever had. Many have said well you have to add a lime. my response you should not have to add something to a beer to make it not suck.

Nov 24, 2020
Feddeytx from Texas

1.06/5  rDev -54.5%

Worst beer I have EVER had. I cannot believe people drink this piss. I had my first in 1984. Thought the same about it then and that was when I thought Lownebrau was a good beer.

Oct 27, 2020
crazyspicychef from Pennsylvania

2.79/5  rDev +19.7%

The aroma is funky, hard to describe. Flavor follows aroma.
No wonder they serve it with a lime. I think that does more harm than good, but that's my opinion. I don't like fruit in my beer.
There are way better Mexican offerings available.

Oct 25, 2020
Easki from Texas

3.45/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Drink em cold! Love the skunky notes, great with fajitas and bbq chicken. Nice carbonation bites back when chugged. Salt and lime definitely add pleasurably to the mix. Nice beer!

Sep 30, 2020
DanielB93 from Texas

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Used to drink these often, when I didn't have to pay for beer (High school parties). Now that I have strayed away from this it's time to look back on my youth.
It's not a good beer. Not terrible, but just not something to brag about. It's never the same taste when you grab a sixer of these. You might get a set that's maybe enjoyable or you get a set that smells straight up skunky. If you find a decent set the taste isn't bad, real light feel and can go down easy. I see this as a imported chugging beer. Cheap and not a beer to bring to well organized social occasions.

Sep 27, 2020
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

1.73/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Transparent yellow in looks with a small head that leaves the glass quickly. In true corona fashion, this beer smells like skunk funk & straw. Taste like bread & skunk. Goes great with a lime, but for the sake of the review I didn't garnish this beer. Very thin, highly carbonated beer that goes down like water. This beer is certainly skunky, but goes great with street tacos.

Sep 02, 2020
RDWHAHB_Tom from Maryland

2.98/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

DATA: BBD 03/2021, 12 oz. glass bottle, served in a glass

Look: Pale straw, lackluster. Weak head (less than one minute persistence).
Smell: Light skunk, lightly sweet.
Taste: Plantain, floral.
Feel: Light, thin, watery.

Overall: Direct quote from my girlfriend: "The fact that you're struggling to figure out which glass has water is quite telling." There are two identical glasses on the table: One is Corona and one is water...

Aug 27, 2020
TedHead from Illinois

2.07/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

It's really not that great. Smells grainy with hints of skunk. It's definitely better with a lime. It's not flavorful so it goes well with spicy Mexican food because it's pretty much water. Once again, better with the lime.

Aug 20, 2020
BelgianHops from Belgium

2.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Stay clear of this. It's water with a very faint hint of dishwasher. No beer-lover would drink this with passion. The 3 worst are this, cuba and despo.

Aug 13, 2020
1009 from Massachusetts

2.42/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

In late December of 2019, a mysterious pneumonia of unknown cause began to take hold of the city of Wuhan, China — the dawn of what would soon become the global COVID-19 pandemic. New York City was the initial epicenter for the outbreak in the United States, but the resilience and diligence of New Yorkers in wearing a mask and maintaining social distance has since ‘flattened the curve’ to work towards the New Normal until the arrival of an effective therapeutic or vaccine. Having said this, drinking doesn’t get much more socially distant than cracking a Corona atop an NYC apartment rooftop. Unfortunately for Grupo Modelo, the novel virus shares a namesake with their most popular product, the Corona Extra pale lager. In the raw, Corona carries the familiar skunk of cannabis (quite fitting for the group’s alleged ties to the Sinaloa Cartel) which is why the true corona (crown) for her is a wedge of lime. I like to call Corona the ultimate catfish of common beers; Adorned with citrus, you really can’t take away from the fact that Corona is just the gold standard of island beers, great for some outrageous fun. Without the lime, forget about it. Corona is smooth and inoffensive until such time as the heat warms it up, forcing you to realize that you’re drinking a rather plain lager. Head back to the bar for your second, third, or fifteenth when you’re about 80% of the way through, and kill the rest there.

Aug 03, 2020
Dingbat88 from Louisiana

3.87/5  rDev +66.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is enjoyable but nothing to brag about. Nice look with a good taste and it is something that you might enjoy. If I don't get a margarita then I would get one of these.

Jul 17, 2020
mikeinportc from New York

2.16/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle no discernible date.

Clear gold, with very quickly-dissipating white head, that leaves a thin ring, briefly.

Smell is light skunk when first poured, to the tiniest bit of grain smell, after the head is gone. I can tell that it's not water, but not by much. A plain sheet of paper, that's been sitting out for three or four days (not fresh, or distinct) , is as close as I can approximate it.

Taste is light bread crust, with a barest hint of sweetness. Not much there, but it's inoffensive. Guessing that's the appeal? A tiny bit of the initial skunk makes a brief appearance at finish, but thankfully doesn't linger. Slight bitterness at finish, that lingers briefly. That at least is some sort of gustatory sensation, so adds slightly more than the almost-nothing , that this beer otherwise generates.

Feel is light, with moderate, soft carbonation that leaves a light pleasant tingle after finish.

Overall, other than the fact that this was cool & wet, on a hot summer day, this beer was a waste of time, brain cells, & calories. It did serve as a reminder of why I haven't had it in a long time, so there is that. ;)
ps : A burp brings the skunk back up , as a bonus, internal review . :P

Jul 04, 2020
IceChuggington from Canada (AB)

3.19/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We made a shirt that copied the corona logo, so you can say we kind of like the taste. Iconic logo with an even more iconic taste. Best enjoyed in flip flops, on the beach, with the sun raining down on your neck. It helps ease the pain from sunburn and worsens the dehydration. 6 Smirnoff Ices/10

Jun 19, 2020
DeaconWhite82 from Pennsylvania

2.12/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Drank it out of a can in the parking lot after work. Everything is drinkable at that point. First beer was a little bit rough. 2nd beer not so bad. For free, I would drink it again.

May 29, 2020
jonmikel from Spain

2.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Transparent and yellow colour. i would say that I like it. The foam disappears right away. Almost no smell. At least it is fresh. The taste is little bitter. The feeling is sparkling. In overall, I believe it is a beer for the summer, to enjoy it on the beach. It is not bad but it is not a "good" beer.

May 02, 2020
Frito_Pedrito from Maryland

4.76/5  rDev +104.3%

I've got to say that Corona is my go-to beer. Especially if you put a lime in it (some people add salt but I don't think it's necessary). It tastes good without the lime, but adding the lime really adds to the experience. This is a great beer for the summer time, especially when you're at the beach. Cheers!

Apr 21, 2020
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 56 out of 100 with 5459 ratings