Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,204 | Ratings: 4,738
Reviews by bestadler:
2.75/5  rDev +23.3%

1.45/5  rDev -35%

A guy came into my craft beer store and asked if I had Corona. I gave him some snitty reply like: "We don't sell bad beer here." Afterwards I felt like a snob and I hate that so I decided to try this beer one more time with a unbiased mindset. Got the classic clear bottle from a bodega in Brooklyn.

A: Looks exactly like a good pee. Not too dark or light. Just a perfect pee colour. I mean you could feed this through a tube and use it to make special effects pee in a movie. Very little carbonation that fades instantly.

S: Smells very lightly of corn and rotting veggies. Is this really beer or some sort of corn wine? No hops or malt present in the aroma at all.

T: I can't believe I guzzled this down in college. Either my pallet has grown or I was just too drunk to notice but this is one bad tasting beer. The only consolation is it doesn't have much taste at all. But what it does have is rotten asparagus and old canned corn. Faintly, in the back.

M: Mouthfeel like canada dry seltzer. I guess this is why people like to drink it in the summer cause I like a nice seltzer on a hot day but the effect for me is ruined by subtle under taste of rust, can corn and rotten garbage.

D: Went down very easy but I did not enjoy it as it went down. As this is basically badly flavored seltzer water I got close to my college chugging record of 2 seconds with this beer. Made me flashback to vomiting in a trashcan as I finished it. Maybe I am the wrong kind of person to drink this beer as I have been exposed to good tasting beer. I have decided I will never taste it again. Praise Jah in all his glory. Never again.

So it seems I am not a snob after all. This beer is a marketing fraud perpetrated on the people of the earth. Not at all beer, it is my opinion that it is a badly made mixed drink that someone allowed some salad to fall into. Should this beer even be on the site? Is there a minimum amount of malt and hops you need to have in the beverage in ratio to other ingredients in order to be called beer? The only reason for a person to buy or drink this beer is because in your subconscious one has been programed to think that this beer is really refreshing on a hot day. It is not even that refreshing when you consider the other options available. Even PBR would be a better BBQ beer because it has that same refreshing effect without the garbage and corn flavor. Wow. Nobody should drink this so they go out of business. I feel for all the working class hispanics in my neighborhood who can only afford this beer to drink. Modelo is lying and stealing from customers and using the mass media to brainwash them into thinking it is a drinkable beer. It is not at all. My Final Verdict: Bad

P.S. Anyone who says this beer tastes of citrus or it tastes "limey" should think about the fact that they might have put a lime in the beer and that might be where the taste came from. If so that is not good reviewing because we are not here to review the lime juice that is added. I did not use a lime and I am here to tell you that this beer has ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, no lime or citrus flavor at all. Not even a little bit. Nope you are totally wrong if you think there is. Try again with out the lime in it, it really has no lime flavor. None whatsoever. Really, Seriously. No lime. Not even a hint of citrus. None. Nada...

4.86/5  rDev +117.9%

Actually all thise who give it law score it is beacause they do not understand the purpose of thos Corona beer. It is not ontended to be German beer nor Belgian beer . This is an American beer / Mexican beer ( very similar to s Miller beer by the way wich I also like) .
The purpose this to eat food while drinking, seating best to the fire on a trail trek while drinking , when hot day,when fursty . Great with lemon .
LIghtness is the purpose. very light and well balanced beer . Not to heavy , not to complicated yet the very basic taste is vey very fine by me .
This is not intended to be an hoegaarden .
CORONA IS AN EXCELLENT BEER.

3.76/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Of beers that are available nearly anywhere, Corona is one of the best, if not the best. Coronas are meant to be drank in social gatherings such as parties or in a bar with a bunch of friends. You buy Corona because its cheap, available nearly anywhere, and tastes better than its peers. Do not compare this beer to craft or expensive not easily accessible beer. Compare this beer to Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Heineken, etc.

1.72/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance – Crystal clear yellow colour like urine (sorry but it is true). Tiny white lace head that does not retain well at all.

Smell – Pretty heavy aroma of ethonal alcohol, aromas of sulphur stewed vegetables and an odd fusty smell that is very unpleasant.

Taste – Flavours of cooked corn with some light sweetness. A tiny amount of Hop bitterness helps to make it drinkable but this is basically a bland vehicle for alcohol.

Mouthfeel – Crisp carbonation holds a light to medium body. Zero linger as there is little flavour to speak of.

Overall – Popular with the 18 to 20 somethings at university. This beer is really only drinkable with half a lime wedged in the neck of the bottle and chilled to the point were your taste buds can’t tell what you are actually drinking.

1.99/5  rDev -10.8%

Was offered one by a fishing buddy while out on the boat.

I obliged.

From the bottle out of an ice chest at ~39F.

Tasted like anti freeze mixed with cheap malts and stale hops.

Then I come to find out that Corona actually contains propelyne glycol. Yes folks that is the scientific name for anti freeze.

FYI-Glycols are toxic substances to the human body according the US Center For Disease Control.

But for some reason the FDA allows distillers and macrobrewers to use these toxic substances in our food supply.

Glycols are also responsible for lowing testosterone in men and women. In women causing ovarian cancer and turning men into liberal pansies with no heart.

No thanks Corona. Your beer tastes like shit.

2.16/5  rDev -3.1%

Last time I had a Corona was in my dad's garage with some Mexicans. I don't quite remember liking it very much, and that was about 6 years ago. $1 special, right here.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured for appearance

Appearance (2) : Sudsy white 1 finger head with a bubbly champagne-like appearance. Light gold/hay color with carbonation bubbles lining the body of the glass.

Smell (2.75) : While I was pouring it this really gross dirty diaper/urine smell permeated the air. As I lean in close and sniff the glass, I get a more pleasant scent. Buttered biscuit, cracker, aluminum or tin, mossy water, and some hay. Slightly above average.

Taste (2) : Refreshing but has an off-putting sour corn bitterness. It's really not a horrible taste, but it isn't good, either. I feel like if I drink more of it I will get sick because it's fermented. Ugh. Tin and fermentation. I do honestly feel I will get sick if I drink more. Sour corn, bitter grass, just something rotting. It keeps coming back. Rotting. Does "don't drink the water" in Mexico translate to "don't drink the beer"?

Mouthfeel (2.5) : Slightly creamy but mostly carbonated.

Overall (2.07) : I do feel like I wasted a dollar. I'm not kidding. I will probably pour the rest of this down the drain for fear of illness. Never ever felt that way about a beer before this one. I'd avoid it if I were you. Worst part is, over half the beer is left. Probably the worst lager I've had in a long time, if not ever.

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

Seeing this beer rated so low overall makes me assume that it's resulting from comparing this beer to the best beers out there. That's not a good idea. Overall, I'd call it better in quality than most general American beers (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) and very refreshing on a hot day.

2.78/5  rDev +24.7%

It's a cheap beer, good for someone on a budget. Otherwise look elsewhere. It tastes much better if you add a slice of lime, but good beer shouldn't require extra flavoring to be good.

2.91/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Grabbed a couple of cans from the discount beer cart at the local Kroger. Code on the bottom of the can is "R275B029," whatever that's supposed to mean -- assuming some kind of coded date-stamp.

Pours very pale yellow into the glass, and once inside it's still pretty pale yellow -- very clear, and with lots and lots of little bubbles rising up from the bottom. Kicks up a huge foamy head of good-sized bubbles when poured, filling up the entire glass but not quite to the point where an overflow would be a real possibility. Starts to shrink away immediately, but takes a while, slowing down as it gets to the point of a thick cap on top with a few lingering traces hanging on to the edges. The foam actually sticks around quite a while even after I've started drinking -- about a third of the way down the glass it's still very much present as a thin coating over the surface of the beer. Overall, looks pretty nice -- honestly one of the better-looking beers I've seen in the category of cheap/"macro" pale and adjunct lagers. Oddly, the second can didn't generate a huge head of foam like the first one did, and what was there faded into almost nothing very rapidly.

Smell is pretty faint, but present if you take a good sniff. What's there is grainy-bready, with maybe a faint whiff of some sort of musty grassiness hiding in the background? It's a beery smell. Not bad by any means, but nothing spectacular either. In the second glass, the smell is not quite as pleasant, there's a bit of a sort of sulfury smell mixed in there. Not strong enough to be off-putting, but still not as pleasant.

Flavor is similar to the smell, though I want to say it's maybe not quite as nice. Grain and breadiness with a faint bit of bitterness in the background every now and then. Maybe a little sweetish corn in there too, which is becoming more noticeable as I drink more, but not so much that it's off-putting. I wonder if these cans might be older than the bottle I had at a restaurant a while back, I remember being able to taste just a bit of grassy hops in that one and I'm not really getting that here at all.

Mouthfeel... it's very, very light (though thankfully not to "lite beer" extremes of watery lightness) and very, very easy to drink quickly. The lingering foam on the surface makes it feel pretty nice going down -- the second glass I'm having now is just a little more prickly-fizzy feeling than the first without that layer of foam on top smoothing things out. Would've given it a 3.5 or maybe even 3.75 for feel if it was consistent between the two cans/glasses.

Overall, not amazing... but also not even *close* to as bad as you'd think it would be going by the average score on here. It's a fairly average beer that's somehow gotten an undeserved reputation for being terrible, probably thanks to the "if it's not one of the best things I've ever tasted, it must be undrinkable garbage" crowd.

2.41/5  rDev +8.1%

OK, it's a Corona. You don't necessarily pour it into a tulip and examine the (non-existent) malts and hops very closely. You stick a lime wedge in the bottle and down a few on a scorching summer day. It's a Mexican lager that's of better quality than Tecate or any Bud Light/cheap AAL. No need to analyze too deeply. Like the ads, it's a beer meant to be enjoyed on any kind of beach/any kind of day and I'd happily oblige if offered one. I'm enjoying one now at home just because it's what's in the fridge. Somehow, it sells at a premium price above Tecate and Pacifico, but not quite a San Migue, maybe because of the name being a "crown" beer?

It's a golden straw colored lager with no head, once the bottle's cracked. It smells and tastes of grain, metal, citrus (likely from the lime wedge) and summertime fun at the beach. It drinks like a soda. It's not a craft beer or anything special by any means. But damn if it doesn't hit the spot.

Shitty macro brew that tastes like piss unless you put a lime in it....then it taste like Limey piss

2.8/5  rDev +25.6%

Before I knew about hefe-weizen, I drank a lot of Coronas in the summer. I drink far fewer now but I still enjoy the taste of the beer as long as there’s a lot of lime in it.

Appearance: Cororna looks as bad as a beer can possibly look. It looks like piss.

Smell: Corona smells like skunk piss.

Taste: (with a lime) Corona tastes like being on a boat. It tastes like the beach. It tastes like having a hot young woman by your side in a bikini.

Seriously, pardon the juvenile figurative language but that’s what Corona tastes like to me and it always will.

I believe that there is something to be said about beers that evoke powerful memories. Corona does this for me and so for better or worse I like the taste of the skunky urine juice.

Without a lime, however, Corona tastes like you took a jar of water, dropped some rotten corn husks in it, left it in the sun for a couple days, froze it, and then put it back in the sun before filtering and bottling. It’s crap without lime.

I'm not some anal purist who thinks that lime is cheating. Adding an orange ot a Blue Moon to make it suck less is fine, adding a lemon to certain wheats to improve on them is fine, and adding a lime to a Cororna is manditory.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It feels like tap water.

Drinkability: At parties in the summer where my options are Miller Lite from the keg or Corona from the fridge, I can happily drink a half dozen of these perros or more without feeling much of anything. Gotta have about 5 limes wedged in to the last one if you’re gonna drink that many though.

1.82/5  rDev -18.4%

Once you've had good beer, you just can't go back to this. This stuff was never good in the first place, but once you go back you realize how bad it really was. This stuff is barely palatable. It is so nasty in fact that you have to drink it with a lime wedge. You know a beer is not good when to make it drinkable you have to add another substance to it.

I can't even drink this now. One sniff of this beer gives me flashbacks of college years, throwing up a cocktail of Corona and Bud light. Once you throw up Corona it haunts your tastebuds forever. The beer is SO FREAKING skunky. Try smelling it and tell me that smells inviting. It would be like if your girl friend was serving brownies and you enter the kitchen and it smells like dog feces. I bet those brownies wouldn't be appetizing!

Friends don't let friends drink Corona. Don't be cheap. Pay $2 more and get better beer. If you are trying to get drunk go drink 1-2 Belgian quads. Drink safely my friends.

1.09/5  rDev -51.1%

Uma cerveja barata, gosto super fraco, tipica lager porcaria comum. Deve ser servida o mais gelada possível e ainda sim é bem sonsa, sem carbonatação, sem espuma...

This beer is good in one way and one way only. It has to be 90+ out, super sunny day, sitting near water (beach, pool, river, lake, etc.), the beer must be ice cold, and you have to have a lime wedge shoved into the bottle. No glass. Must be from the bottle. In a moment such as this one though, it is a very refreshing beverage to have.

Would purchase again, but ONLY in this scenario.
Would Drink Again: Yes

This beer is on my top beer to drank in the summer and maybe of all time! Others do not like this beer but in my 20 years of dranking it does not disapoint on being refreshing and taste. It is crisp and clean! I The taste of heaven!

Apperance:Gloden like beautiful gold watch forever, the retention is excellent.

Smell: Very Smooth and refreshing has hops and malts.

Taste: This is very smooth and refrshing beer. It has no after taste but with a lime even taste better then all craft beers. Who would thnk that !

Mouthfull: very refreshing, crips, leave's a pleasant taste, medium body and medium carbonation in it.

Overall People either hate or love it. I am on the side of love it! The price is not cheap even in California but I will always buy it. By far the best Mexican beer on the market!

D: World class.

1.15/5  rDev -48.4%

Out of a bottle at some bunk azz party.

You ever have a horse piss in ur mouth? I haven't, but I imagine drinkin' this snake juice is what it tastes like.

Man, everything is wrong with this thing. How the hell can you expect me to enjoy sumthin that tastes and smell like a skunks boo boo? Damn... the only way I can wash this gutter drink down is with a hefty dose of lime and salt. And still... ay mami!!!!

1.23/5  rDev -44.8%

It should say ACME Beer

3.51/5  rDev +57.4%

A must have beer in the summer. Don't forget the lime!

I asked you for a beer, not water.

is Corona ever available on draft? doesn't really matter. what a terrible beer. even when I am too drunk to care about what I'm drinking, i'd still pass on a Corona.

3.02/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Any beer requiring fruit to enhance the flavor isn't good.

I'm not going to spend too much time with the rating of this "beer" but this has to be the worst beer I've ever drank in my life. There is absolutely nothing at all redeeming about this stuff.
People actually drink this? Why?

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

So being a proud gamer I like to call Corona the "Nathan Drake of beers". This is a beer that I would only have during the summer when the weather is hot and when I want something cheap and well summery. This beer is not fancy in the slightest in fact it's actually only really marketed as a summer beer. It's not fancy tasting nor does it have any complex notes of flavor to it, it's a simple lager beer. Corona isn't something I would go halfway around the world to get or even really to a store to buy but it's not a bad tasting beer. With a couple of limes this beer tastes really nice actually and it's quite refreshing. It has a very light flavor that reminds me of seltzer water actually. In fact the reviewer who said this stuff was like seltzer hit the nail on the head. It's very light in color and in flavor but add a lime or two and this beer is actually a nice beer to have on a summer day at a beach side shack.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.