Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,236 | Ratings: 4,891
3.92/5  rDev +75%

The color is a pale amber, clear and carbonated. The smell is mild, nothing offensive but also nothing particularly great. The taste is very mild, but actually quite good. No discernible hops, nothing pungent, just a lite aftertaste of grain.
The feel of this beer is where it shines. Corona Extra has to be one of the most refreshing beers you can find. It goes down like water, smooth, but with a decent amount of carbonation. It is probably my favorite beer to drink on a hot day.
I know, it won't put hair on your chest, and it probably won't be noteworthy to most. It's just a Mexican beer that is great on a hot day.

2.71/5  rDev +21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 2.75

Look - Kept in the bottle, clear straw color lots of visible carbonation

Smell - Very very faint grain, thats it

Taste - Dry, grainy, sightly abrasive, faint corn, finishes crisp with next to no bitterness

Feel - Light bodied, super carbonated, dry, refreshing

Overall - By no means a bad beer, just fairly average. Above average when it's free and comes with a lime wedge.

2.67/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Beautiful bottle with a beautiful yellow color but I can't say the same thing for the taste. Literally no taste but it is smooth when it comes to feel probably because of its 4.6 ABV. Very plain taste, malty smell, avarage beer.

2.09/5  rDev -6.7%

It smells musty. Without a lime, it does really have much taste profile. But drop the lime in the bottle and it takes me back to dive bars in my early 20's. It's a guilty pleasure.

Another shitty beer out of Mexico. Nose smells like a skunk that's been living in a truck stop bathroom. Mouthfeel is non-existent, it might as well be water. Aftertaste is of cheap corn and the insoles of gym shoes. Looks like a well hydrated person topped off a half-full glass of water with piss. Tastes about the same. I would rather cut a hole in my ballsack with a butter knife than have to stomach another sip of this swill. You may think I'm bashing it, but Corona deserves every word. Even more offensive is the price they sell it at. A product of marketing to non beer drinkers and nothing more

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

Why people love it so much here in the USA is crazy but we do, as it reminds us of being in Mexico or on vacation I think. That alone they have done their job, but as for taste and quality, I believe this to comparable to our Bud Light or other cheap light beer that comes in a glass bottle and marketed well. It still needs a lime or two to make it drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Yes, obviously, this standby Cerveza isn't winning any rewards. But I can't say that it doesn't have a place on the shelves. At least for me, there's something familiar about a familiar, perhaps it was instilled in me at an impressionable age. "You can have any beer you like as long as it's a Corona." Thank you Vin Diesel, now every time I go see another of your ludicrous Fast films, I ceremoniously pregame with a 32 oz. It's no Modelo, it's not trying to be. No one can emulate the patented Rusty Water nuance a Corona provides. It's almost a fun in-home alchemical experiment, to balance the Ph of this brew with slices upon slices of lime. All in all, it's a impressively average choice for impressively average times.

1.03/5  rDev -54%

Arguably the worst beer I've ever tasted. Appearance is impressively artificially caramel colored. If it was possible to give the smell of this beer a negative rating I would. The palate is wildly unremarkable, but blessedly, not as offensive as the nose. Mouthfeel is light. Yeah, this is the most drain-pour-able beer I've ever encountered.

2.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle from the bottle.

Appearance: It's clear yellow. Looks like liquid corn. Probably is liquid corn. Falls flat very fast and looks kind of sad.

Aroma: Could pass as water. Nothing there at all; maybe faint cereal notes.

Taste: It's cold. So, as long as there are hot days and spicy food, it will have a theoretical purpose. Very faint cereal grains, faint corn. Just not much there.

Mouthfeel: Would also win this category in an "other liquids pretending to be water" contest.

Overall: There's really just nothing here. Makes me wonder how people tell all the "fizzy yellow"-type beers apart. It's entirely anonymous. I guess I can see the appeal on a hot day with a lime at the beach. However, I had this in January in Maine.

2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz can, served in a plastic pint glass on the beach in a resort near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's as "local" and "beach experience" as it gets. So I figured this was the appropriate time to review this beer. Pour is a fizzy light golden yellow body, one finger white head, good carbonation, fair retention, nice lacing. As far as beach beers go, this ain't a bad looking one- it looks nice in the sun. Of course, I quickly recognize that this is a bad idea to keep it in the sun so much. On the nose, there is a light bready graininess, minimal grassy hop bitterness, a bit of barley grain sweetness. As the beer sits in the glass in the sun longer, it gets more of a distinct skunkiness. Flavour has more of the breadiness than anything else, light breadiness, a bit of skunk, very light grassiness. It's not particularly flavourful, and there is a touch of a little perfume in it too. It's certainly everything you expect from a beer like this, and more. Mouthfeel is thin bodied, a bit watery, not much mouthfeel to it, but at the same time, the carbonation makes this taste refreshing. Overall, an experience that I had to wait for in order to properly review the beer, and it is a nice beach beer. However, on all other metrics, this is objectively a lousy beer and I wouldn't want to drink it anywhere else.

2.66/5  rDev +18.8%

Very, very pale yellow. But it's a standard American lager, after all. So it looks exactly like one. I can't comment about head or lacing because this is one to drink right out of the pony bottle (each bottle is 7 oz.).

There is next to no aroma, but what little you get smells like, you know, beer.

Tastes like... beer. And that's okay cause that's what it is. Nothing complex. No notes of this or that. Even so, it's kind of refreshing when paired with many foods.

So... no surprises here. It's drinkable, like sparkling water with a tiny alcohol kick (4.6%). It's perfectly fine for what it is.

3.1/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

clear golden straw with a thin white head that quickly recedes. notes of skunked grain and ice water predominate, corn and mild hops as well. obviously its an incredibly thin and light bodied feel, but I can't necessarily knock it for that because the drinkability and water like characteristics are the best thing this has to offer. this beer has its time and place but overall pretty weak!

2.86/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

So I went to my company holiday party at a local restaurant and asked for craft beer at the bar. Corona was the best they had to offer. It went down well with Chicken Marsala......other than that it basically reminded me of lime-flavored water. Not horrible but nothing special either. A palatable beer when nothing else is available.

2.59/5  rDev +15.6%

Golden, pale yellow in color. Very see through in appearance. Grain, malty and cardboard. Thin to approaching medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. Very short finish. Probably pairs well with spicy food.

2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Here's the truth. Corona Familiar (I don't know where that "la" comes from; not the bottle or the brewer) is the exact same beer as Corona Extra. They have the exact same alcohol content. Extra is in a clear bottle and is easily skunked by heat and light. Familiar in the dark brown bottle is not so easily ruined, but it can be. Yes, it is a tiny bit darker than clear-bottle Extra, because its color hasn't been bleached by light. The major factor in the quality of either is whether they were properly refrigerated for the trip across the border and by the U.S. store that sells it to you. Your best bet is to go to a major grocery store where there's a high turnover and they're getting their beer new on a regular basis. I'm in Arizona, I go to a Fry's (Kroger). But even here the clear-bottle Extra is often slightly skunked, which is why most people decide to put a wedge of lime in the neck of each bottle. There is a big bottle of Extra, in a clear bottle, containing 24 ounces. It is identical to the 12 ounce Extra and the 7 ounce Coronita. The brown bottle Familiar often tastes better; and putting a lime in a decent North American yellow (yes, I know that's an oxymoron) tastes kind of strange. As for Caguama, it comes in the same style squat quart bottle as Familiar, which is Mexican, but it is a completely different beer, from El Salvador, and I've only seen it in a clear bottle. People get it confused with Corona because it is also frequently skunked by the time an American opens it. Also, Mexican-Americans use "caguama" ("turtle") to refer to a quart bottle of beer. Which came first, the slang word or the Salvadoran brand name? I don't know. But there is no Mexican beer brand named Caguama. My ultimate recommendation: never buy an imported beer in a bottle; go for cans. No, they don't have a metallic taste, not even when you drink directly from the can. You're remembering steel cans from the 1950s, if you're that old; or else you're remembering your grandpa's denunciation of canned beer. The taste of canned beer lasts many times longer than bottled beer, especially if it's trucked through the deserts of Mexico and Arizona.

2.16/5  rDev -3.6%

L -- piss yellow with a light, fizzy head
S -- mild malts, corn
T -- mild corn and grain. bland
F -- very weak. watery
O -- I can understand it's place as a great beer for hot environments, but corona just isn't for me

1.99/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Arrived at vacation destination and had nothing cold ready. Realitive left some Corona extras in the fridge so drank one. Had to try really hard to finish. Just aweful. Thank god I brount Sam adams variety pack and a couple of the dragons milk variants. Now just have to wait to get cold and enjoy around a fire instead of this crap.

1.42/5  rDev -36.6%

L- looks ok but nothing to write home about.

T- it tastes foul, after two sips i chucked it out the window.

S- it smells unappealing, it smells like it tastes.

F- it goes down fairly easy nothing too unbearable, but certainly not pleasant.

3.37/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very light golden color with a popping white head that looked a bit soapy. Crazy carbonation bubbles dancing around.

Smell was of bread and some yeast, malts. Think beer ingredient smell without any hop notes.

Taste was almost non existent. I seriously think Coors Light has more flavor.

Mouth feel is extremely light slightly watery and like a drink of water just finishes crisply.

Overall I find this stuff to be totally crazy! There really was no beer taste coming through. It almost tasted like a bad glass of water. I can see why someone would put a lime in it, to give it some flavor! Thank goodness I had a lime and was able to do so. Not a bad beer but not a good beer either. I think I will leave this one the shelf for someone else.

2.28/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I used to drink this back in the day before I knew any better. Since discovering good beer, I haven't had a Corona in years. Out of curiosity I've been looking at the negative reviews here and have been wanting to revisit it for a while, just to see if it's as bad as they say. Finally got my chance at a Mexican restaurant that didn't have much else. The verdict: I don't think it's as horrible as it's made out to be, however, it's pretty uninspiring.
Not much to say as it's bland, simple and watery. Pours a piss yellow color with virtually no head. I did not detect the skunky aroma everyone talks about here. I smelled mostly corn, which was evident in the taste also. Other than that, the taste was mostly clean, watery and with virtually no hop flavor. Served in a chilled glass it was actually kind of refreshing. Something tells me that it would be a different story at a warmer temperature, but I'm not sure if like to try. The body is quite light.
I found it overall to be inoffensive, bland, and at best somewhat refreshing. Would I have it again? Probably not.

Corona La Familiar | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. Split from a large bottle with @nicholas2121 and poured into a pint glass, this beer's head is one finger thick, with no lacing, and a clear medium-light amber body.

I smell skunkines quite a bit.

Once you get past the skunk taste, there's bright grains and grassy malts.

The mouthfeel is medium-light with fair carbonation.

Overall, I'll rate Corona La Familiar | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. with a 3.

3.05/5  rDev +36.2%

Looks like piss, taste is an aquired one with lime or not. Very refreshing on a hot day. I'm told Mexicans call this tourist piss, lol. Well I guess I like tourist piss. Decent beer, as I said it's an aquired taste. Meaning it's not for everyone. People that like an easy drinking beer will like it.

2.05/5  rDev -8.5%

Golden in color with white foamy head. Smells of corn and yeast. Taste is mild with a grainy feel and corn essence. Finish is clean, mild beer with average character. I drank a lot of this over the years and cannot knock it, for what it is I will take it over others, its a average beer for an average day outside.

This was my first positive experience with beer. For a long time, I thought that I did not like beer; I did not like Bud Light. But this was tasty. Still is, for the first one or two. For some reason these go really skunky after a few. Is it the best? No. Is it good? Meh. But it has a special place in my heart, and I would say no to having one as my first beer of the day if a friend offered.

2.15/5  rDev -4%

What is there to say that hasn't already been said about Corona Extra?

It's brewed with adjuncts, and for good reason it's quite infamous, but snobbery aside it really isn't all that bad on a hot day if your bottle is fresh and hasn't been skunked.

Pours a translucent pale yellow that generates a one finger head. It leaves no lacing and has poor retention but who cares? Smells like corn and apples.

The taste is watery with mild bitterness and sweetness. Notes of bread, sour green apples, rice and corn. Feel is undercarbonated, thin and rather thirst quenching.

I like Corona Extra because it has decent bitterness compared to other macros with and a mildly sweet cereal grain taste to complement it. Overall, served ice cold, it makes for a great beer on a hot, humid day. But yeah it comes up just short of being utter undrinkable swill.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.