Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,212 | Ratings: 4,802
2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz can, served in a plastic pint glass on the beach in a resort near Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's as "local" and "beach experience" as it gets. So I figured this was the appropriate time to review this beer. Pour is a fizzy light golden yellow body, one finger white head, good carbonation, fair retention, nice lacing. As far as beach beers go, this ain't a bad looking one- it looks nice in the sun. Of course, I quickly recognize that this is a bad idea to keep it in the sun so much. On the nose, there is a light bready graininess, minimal grassy hop bitterness, a bit of barley grain sweetness. As the beer sits in the glass in the sun longer, it gets more of a distinct skunkiness. Flavour has more of the breadiness than anything else, light breadiness, a bit of skunk, very light grassiness. It's not particularly flavourful, and there is a touch of a little perfume in it too. It's certainly everything you expect from a beer like this, and more. Mouthfeel is thin bodied, a bit watery, not much mouthfeel to it, but at the same time, the carbonation makes this taste refreshing. Overall, an experience that I had to wait for in order to properly review the beer, and it is a nice beach beer. However, on all other metrics, this is objectively a lousy beer and I wouldn't want to drink it anywhere else.

3.1/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

clear golden straw with a thin white head that quickly recedes. notes of skunked grain and ice water predominate, corn and mild hops as well. obviously its an incredibly thin and light bodied feel, but I can't necessarily knock it for that because the drinkability and water like characteristics are the best thing this has to offer. this beer has its time and place but overall pretty weak!

2.86/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

So I went to my company holiday party at a local restaurant and asked for craft beer at the bar. Corona was the best they had to offer. It went down well with Chicken Marsala......other than that it basically reminded me of lime-flavored water. Not horrible but nothing special either. A palatable beer when nothing else is available.

2.16/5  rDev -3.1%

L -- piss yellow with a light, fizzy head
S -- mild malts, corn
T -- mild corn and grain. bland
F -- very weak. watery
O -- I can understand it's place as a great beer for hot environments, but corona just isn't for me

1.99/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Arrived at vacation destination and had nothing cold ready. Realitive left some Corona extras in the fridge so drank one. Had to try really hard to finish. Just aweful. Thank god I brount Sam adams variety pack and a couple of the dragons milk variants. Now just have to wait to get cold and enjoy around a fire instead of this crap.

1.42/5  rDev -36.3%

L- looks ok but nothing to write home about.

T- it tastes foul, after two sips i chucked it out the window.

S- it smells unappealing, it smells like it tastes.

F- it goes down fairly easy nothing too unbearable, but certainly not pleasant.

3.37/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very light golden color with a popping white head that looked a bit soapy. Crazy carbonation bubbles dancing around.

Smell was of bread and some yeast, malts. Think beer ingredient smell without any hop notes.

Taste was almost non existent. I seriously think Coors Light has more flavor.

Mouth feel is extremely light slightly watery and like a drink of water just finishes crisply.

Overall I find this stuff to be totally crazy! There really was no beer taste coming through. It almost tasted like a bad glass of water. I can see why someone would put a lime in it, to give it some flavor! Thank goodness I had a lime and was able to do so. Not a bad beer but not a good beer either. I think I will leave this one the shelf for someone else.

2.84/5  rDev +27.4%

I used to drink this back in the day before I knew any better. Since discovering good beer, I haven't had a Corona in years. Out of curiosity I've been looking at the negative reviews here and have been wanting to revisit it for a while, just to see if it's as bad as they say. Finally got my chance at a Mexican restaurant that didn't have much else. The verdict: I don't think it's that bad.
Not much to say as it's simple. Pours a piss yellow color with virtually no head. I did not detect the skunky aroma everyone talks about here. I smelled mostly corn, which was evident in the taste also. Other than that, the taste was mostly clean, watery and with virtually no hop flavor. Served in a chilled glass it was actually kind of refreshing. Something tells me that it would be a different story at a warmer temperature, but I'm not sure if like to try. The body is quite light.
As I said, it wasn't so bad. I found it overall inoffensive, bland, and at best somewhat refreshing. Would I have it again? Probably not.

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

Looks like piss, taste is an aquired one with lime or not. Very refreshing on a hot day. I'm told Mexicans call this tourist piss, lol. Well I guess I like tourist piss. Decent beer, as I said it's an aquired taste. Meaning it's not for everyone. People that like an easy drinking beer will like it.

2.05/5  rDev -8.1%

Golden in color with white foamy head. Smells of corn and yeast. Taste is mild with a grainy feel and corn essence. Finish is clean, mild beer with average character. I drank a lot of this over the years and cannot knock it, for what it is I will take it over others, its a average beer for an average day outside.

This was my first positive experience with beer. For a long time, I thought that I did not like beer; I did not like Bud Light. But this was tasty. Still is, for the first one or two. For some reason these go really skunky after a few. Is it the best? No. Is it good? Meh. But it has a special place in my heart, and I would say no to having one as my first beer of the day if a friend offered.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

What is there to say that hasn't already been said about Corona Extra?

It's brewed with adjuncts, and for good reason it's quite infamous, but snobbery aside it really isn't all that bad on a hot day if your bottle is fresh and hasn't been skunked.

Pours a translucent pale yellow that generates a one finger head. It leaves no lacing and has poor retention but who cares? Smells like corn and apples.

The taste is watery with mild bitterness and sweetness. Notes of bread, sour green apples, rice and corn. Feel is undercarbonated, thin and rather thirst quenching.

I like Corona Extra because it has decent bitterness compared to other macros with and a mildly sweet cereal grain taste to complement it. Overall, served ice cold, it makes for a great beer on a hot, humid day. But yeah it comes up just short of being utter undrinkable swill.

2.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Presentation: 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Look: The beer pours with very little head. There is a moderate amount of carbonation. It is a nice light golden color. The look is decent overall.

Smell: It smells of corn, grain, and yeast primarily. I'm having trouble detecting any hops aroma. The smell is neither fragrant, nor offensive.

Taste: Tastes like yeast, grains, corn, and stale water. The taste is a bit funky, but not bad. There is also a slightly citrus-like aftertaste. Corona kind of has its own unique taste to it. I find the taste to be acceptable enough to drink it.

Feel: It feels smooth, foamy. Very similar feel to drinking seltzer water. In part, that contributes to this beer being highly drinkable.

Conclusion: Well this beer is not great, nor dreadful; it is somewhere in between. The taste of this beer is distinctly funky, but it's still highly drinkable. Overall this an okay Mexican adjunct lager that has its own unique taste to it. I would recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a highly drinkable beer to have at the beach or pool. Though this would not be my first recommendation choice for that, as there are many other beers out there that could serve that role.

Cheers

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Even on a hot day on the beach in cancun, this still is truly a bad beer. It tastes worse than it smells. Huge skunk flavors, very off putting. I will never drink again.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Hold the lime. I agree with many, corona tastes of yeast. But I really don't mind. It's not a nice looking beer, smells off, but it really is drinkable. Plugging my nose I can easily hammer out a twelve pack.

1.82/5  rDev -18.4%

Once you've had good beer, you just can't go back to this. This stuff was never good in the first place, but once you go back you realize how bad it really was. This stuff is barely palatable. It is so nasty in fact that you have to drink it with a lime wedge. You know a beer is not good when to make it drinkable you have to add another substance to it.

I can't even drink this now. One sniff of this beer gives me flashbacks of college years, throwing up a cocktail of Corona and Bud light. Once you throw up Corona it haunts your tastebuds forever. The beer is SO FREAKING skunky. Try smelling it and tell me that smells inviting. It would be like if your girl friend was serving brownies and you enter the kitchen and it smells like dog feces. I bet those brownies wouldn't be appetizing!

Friends don't let friends drink Corona. Don't be cheap. Pay $2 more and get better beer. If you are trying to get drunk go drink 1-2 Belgian quads. Drink safely my friends.

2.25/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hydrated piss yellow with a half finger of straight white foam.

Smells like musty water.

Yeasty, grainy, stale water.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, just awful.

1.99/5  rDev -10.8%

From the tiny bottle - 7 oz - it pours a bright golden with virtually no head, some bubbles stream from the bottom. Not much scent - maybe yeast? Taste is forgettable. Did not add a lime to improve it, so...

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

So being a proud gamer I like to call Corona the "Nathan Drake of beers". This is a beer that I would only have during the summer when the weather is hot and when I want something cheap and well summery. This beer is not fancy in the slightest in fact it's actually only really marketed as a summer beer. It's not fancy tasting nor does it have any complex notes of flavor to it, it's a simple lager beer. Corona isn't something I would go halfway around the world to get or even really to a store to buy but it's not a bad tasting beer. With a couple of limes this beer tastes really nice actually and it's quite refreshing. It has a very light flavor that reminds me of seltzer water actually. In fact the reviewer who said this stuff was like seltzer hit the nail on the head. It's very light in color and in flavor but add a lime or two and this beer is actually a nice beer to have on a summer day at a beach side shack.

2.19/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Corona Extra

Appearance: A beautiful, clear, golden color supports a nice, foamy head. Shortly after the pour the head disappears leaving much to be desired. Almost comes off as a dressed-up advertisement. (2.0)

Smell: Yeast and water dominate the senses while smelling this beer. Some hints of citrus are also present. The smell leaves me wanting more than just yeast and water. (1.75)

Taste: The initial crispness of the carbonation hits your palate with a strong yeast flavor followed by the taste of water trailing into a barely citrusy aftertaste leaving something to be desired. On the plus side, flavors transition fairly smoothly. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Drinks almost like a seltzer water. Initially crisp and carbonated, then transitions into a watery feel. (2.0)

Overall: This beer looked beautiful when poured but I was quickly disappointed with the rapidly decreasing head. The flavor profile also left me wanting something else and I can see why Corona Extra is served with a lime. (2.25)

2.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden orange color, with a dish detergent, ugly, soapy head.
S: Smells a little skunky, and actually an alcohol smells comes through (as if it were cheap liquor).
T: Tastes like a watered down Modelo. Tastes like grains, alcohol, and water. Not that bad for a refreshing Mexican-style adjunct. But, not that good either.
F: Feels light and refreshing. Almost no aftertaste, and very light body.
O: Overall, I think this beer is okay. I think it's one of of the better American adjunct macros. But, I think it's on the worse side of the refreshing Mexican-owned versions of that style. I would drink it on a beach, when cool, light macros are the way to go.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

Right away this beer looks great, beautiful golden color pours well creating a little head. This is where everything goes wrong for me. I'm hit with the smell of what I think smells like wet cat. Makes sense actually cause every one I know puts lime and salt on it immediately. Taste doesn't come close to enjoyable. I used to drink a lot of this beer as a young man and I'm starting to question the intelligence of my younger self. Well I won't be buying this beer ever again.

2.41/5  rDev +8.1%

OK, it's a Corona. You don't necessarily pour it into a tulip and examine the (non-existent) malts and hops very closely. You stick a lime wedge in the bottle and down a few on a scorching summer day. It's a Mexican lager that's of better quality than Tecate or any Bud Light/cheap AAL. No need to analyze too deeply. Like the ads, it's a beer meant to be enjoyed on any kind of beach/any kind of day and I'd happily oblige if offered one. I'm enjoying one now at home just because it's what's in the fridge. Somehow, it sells at a premium price above Tecate and Pacifico, but not quite a San Migue, maybe because of the name being a "crown" beer?

It's a golden straw colored lager with no head, once the bottle's cracked. It smells and tastes of grain, metal, citrus (likely from the lime wedge) and summertime fun at the beach. It drinks like a soda. It's not a craft beer or anything special by any means. But damn if it doesn't hit the spot.

1.82/5  rDev -18.4%

Around here this stuff sells for a premium price though for the life of me I can't fathom why people buy it more than once.

Slinky, stinky, skunky with an odd sweetness combined with the nastiness. I'm serious, I really don't understand why anyone with a choice would choose this.

Not recommend.

4.03/5  rDev +80.7%

Served in a long neck bottle with lime of course. There's no comparison, this beats all other AAL's hands down in look and smell. Taste is above average as well. Mouthfeel is thin, and finish is sweet and skunky. Overall its always an option on a nice spring day.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.