Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,205 | Ratings: 4,739
2.84/5  rDev +27.4%

I used to drink this back in the day before I knew any better. Since discovering good beer, I haven't had a Corona in years. Out of curiosity I've been looking at the negative reviews here and have been wanting to revisit it for a while, just to see if it's as bad as they say. Finally got my chance at a Mexican restaurant that didn't have much else. The verdict: I don't think it's that bad.
Not much to say as it's simple. Pours a piss yellow color with virtually no head. I did not detect the skunky aroma everyone talks about here. I smelled mostly corn, which was evident in the taste also. Other than that, the taste was mostly clean, watery and with virtually no hop flavor. Served in a chilled glass it was actually kind of refreshing. Something tells me that it would be a different story at a warmer temperature, but I'm not sure if like to try. The body is quite light.
As I said, it wasn't so bad. I found it overall inoffensive, bland, and at best somewhat refreshing. Would I have it again? Probably not.

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

Looks like piss, taste is an aquired one with lime or not. Very refreshing on a hot day. I'm told Mexicans call this tourist piss, lol. Well I guess I like tourist piss.

2.05/5  rDev -8.1%

Golden in color with white foamy head. Smells of corn and yeast. Taste is mild with a grainy feel and corn essence. Finish is clean, mild beer with average character. I drank a lot of this over the years and cannot knock it, for what it is I will take it over others, its a average beer for an average day outside.

This was my first positive experience with beer. For a long time, I thought that I did not like beer; I did not like Bud Light. But this was tasty. Still is, for the first one or two. For some reason these go really skunky after a few. Is it the best? No. Is it good? Meh. But it has a special place in my heart, and I would say no to having one as my first beer of the day if a friend offered.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

What is there to say that hasn't already been said about Corona Extra?

It's brewed with adjuncts, and for good reason it's quite infamous, but snobbery aside it really isn't all that bad on a hot day if your bottle is fresh and hasn't been skunked.

Pours a translucent pale yellow that generates a one finger head. It leaves no lacing and has poor retention but who cares? Smells like corn and apples.

The taste is watery with mild bitterness and sweetness. Notes of bread, sour green apples, rice and corn. Feel is undercarbonated, thin and rather thirst quenching.

I like Corona Extra because it has decent bitterness compared to other macros with and a mildly sweet cereal grain taste to complement it. Overall, served ice cold, it makes for a great beer on a hot, humid day. But yeah it comes up just short of being utter undrinkable swill.

2.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Presentation: 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Look: The beer pours with very little head. There is a moderate amount of carbonation. It is a nice light golden color. The look is decent overall.

Smell: It smells of corn, grain, and yeast primarily. I'm having trouble detecting any hops aroma. The smell is neither fragrant, nor offensive.

Taste: Tastes like yeast, grains, corn, and stale water. The taste is a bit funky, but not bad. There is also a slightly citrus-like aftertaste. Corona kind of has its own unique taste to it. I find the taste to be acceptable enough to drink it.

Feel: It feels smooth, foamy. Very similar feel to drinking seltzer water. In part, that contributes to this beer being highly drinkable.

Conclusion: Well this beer is not great, nor dreadful; it is somewhere in between. The taste of this beer is distinctly funky, but it's still highly drinkable. Overall this an okay Mexican adjunct lager that has its own unique taste to it. I would recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a highly drinkable beer to have at the beach or pool. Though this would not be my first recommendation choice for that, as there are many other beers out there that could serve that role.

Cheers

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Even on a hot day on the beach in cancun, this still is truly a bad beer. It tastes worse than it smells. Huge skunk flavors, very off putting. I will never drink again.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Hold the lime. I agree with many, corona tastes of yeast. But I really don't mind. It's not a nice looking beer, smells off, but it really is drinkable. Plugging my nose I can easily hammer out a twelve pack.

1.82/5  rDev -18.4%

Once you've had good beer, you just can't go back to this. This stuff was never good in the first place, but once you go back you realize how bad it really was. This stuff is barely palatable. It is so nasty in fact that you have to drink it with a lime wedge. You know a beer is not good when to make it drinkable you have to add another substance to it.

I can't even drink this now. One sniff of this beer gives me flashbacks of college years, throwing up a cocktail of Corona and Bud light. Once you throw up Corona it haunts your tastebuds forever. The beer is SO FREAKING skunky. Try smelling it and tell me that smells inviting. It would be like if your girl friend was serving brownies and you enter the kitchen and it smells like dog feces. I bet those brownies wouldn't be appetizing!

Friends don't let friends drink Corona. Don't be cheap. Pay $2 more and get better beer. If you are trying to get drunk go drink 1-2 Belgian quads. Drink safely my friends.

2.25/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hydrated piss yellow with a half finger of straight white foam.

Smells like musty water.

Yeasty, grainy, stale water.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, just awful.

1.99/5  rDev -10.8%

From the tiny bottle - 7 oz - it pours a bright golden with virtually no head, some bubbles stream from the bottom. Not much scent - maybe yeast? Taste is forgettable. Did not add a lime to improve it, so...

3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

So being a proud gamer I like to call Corona the "Nathan Drake of beers". This is a beer that I would only have during the summer when the weather is hot and when I want something cheap and well summery. This beer is not fancy in the slightest in fact it's actually only really marketed as a summer beer. It's not fancy tasting nor does it have any complex notes of flavor to it, it's a simple lager beer. Corona isn't something I would go halfway around the world to get or even really to a store to buy but it's not a bad tasting beer. With a couple of limes this beer tastes really nice actually and it's quite refreshing. It has a very light flavor that reminds me of seltzer water actually. In fact the reviewer who said this stuff was like seltzer hit the nail on the head. It's very light in color and in flavor but add a lime or two and this beer is actually a nice beer to have on a summer day at a beach side shack.

2.19/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Corona Extra

Appearance: A beautiful, clear, golden color supports a nice, foamy head. Shortly after the pour the head disappears leaving much to be desired. Almost comes off as a dressed-up advertisement. (2.0)

Smell: Yeast and water dominate the senses while smelling this beer. Some hints of citrus are also present. The smell leaves me wanting more than just yeast and water. (1.75)

Taste: The initial crispness of the carbonation hits your palate with a strong yeast flavor followed by the taste of water trailing into a barely citrusy aftertaste leaving something to be desired. On the plus side, flavors transition fairly smoothly. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Drinks almost like a seltzer water. Initially crisp and carbonated, then transitions into a watery feel. (2.0)

Overall: This beer looked beautiful when poured but I was quickly disappointed with the rapidly decreasing head. The flavor profile also left me wanting something else and I can see why Corona Extra is served with a lime. (2.25)

2.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Golden orange color, with a dish detergent, ugly, soapy head.
S: Smells a little skunky, and actually an alcohol smells comes through (as if it were cheap liquor).
T: Tastes like a watered down Modelo. Tastes like grains, alcohol, and water. Not that bad for a refreshing Mexican-style adjunct. But, not that good either.
F: Feels light and refreshing. Almost no aftertaste, and very light body.
O: Overall, I think this beer is okay. I think it's one of of the better American adjunct macros. But, I think it's on the worse side of the refreshing Mexican-owned versions of that style. I would drink it on a beach, when cool, light macros are the way to go.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

Right away this beer looks great, beautiful golden color pours well creating a little head. This is where everything goes wrong for me. I'm hit with the smell of what I think smells like wet cat. Makes sense actually cause every one I know puts lime and salt on it immediately. Taste doesn't come close to enjoyable. I used to drink a lot of this beer as a young man and I'm starting to question the intelligence of my younger self. Well I won't be buying this beer ever again.

2.41/5  rDev +8.1%

OK, it's a Corona. You don't necessarily pour it into a tulip and examine the (non-existent) malts and hops very closely. You stick a lime wedge in the bottle and down a few on a scorching summer day. It's a Mexican lager that's of better quality than Tecate or any Bud Light/cheap AAL. No need to analyze too deeply. Like the ads, it's a beer meant to be enjoyed on any kind of beach/any kind of day and I'd happily oblige if offered one. I'm enjoying one now at home just because it's what's in the fridge. Somehow, it sells at a premium price above Tecate and Pacifico, but not quite a San Migue, maybe because of the name being a "crown" beer?

It's a golden straw colored lager with no head, once the bottle's cracked. It smells and tastes of grain, metal, citrus (likely from the lime wedge) and summertime fun at the beach. It drinks like a soda. It's not a craft beer or anything special by any means. But damn if it doesn't hit the spot.

1.82/5  rDev -18.4%

Around here this stuff sells for a premium price though for the life of me I can't fathom why people buy it more than once.

Slinky, stinky, skunky with an odd sweetness combined with the nastiness. I'm serious, I really don't understand why anyone with a choice would choose this.

Not recommend.

4.03/5  rDev +80.7%

Served in a long neck bottle with lime of course. There's no comparison, this beats all other AAL's hands down in look and smell. Taste is above average as well. Mouthfeel is thin, and finish is sweet and skunky. Overall its always an option on a nice spring day.

2.47/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Europe has desperados, America has Corona. It's pretty weak as a beer and will only be consumed preferably in the Southwest during a hot summer evening. No further description needed in my opinion. No head, nothing special. It's best avoided. There are so much better stuff now in America.

I'm not going to spend too much time with the rating of this "beer" but this has to be the worst beer I've ever drank in my life. There is absolutely nothing at all redeeming about this stuff.
People actually drink this? Why?

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pale straw color, crystal clear
Fizzy streams of carbonation, here-and-gone head, even with slightly aggressive pour. No lacing.
Buttery lime aroma
Flavor is bitter grains and boiled vegetables, for what there is. Very bland on the palate. Much more interesting in the nose. Dry, thin feel.
Honestly not as bad as it sounds, and it's a lot more pleasant with a slice of lime so that the flavor aligns closer to the aroma. Or, so that it has some flavor beyond blandness.

3.14/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I see a lot of negative reviews about corona, but with a lime in this beer it is actually quite perfect to drink at the beach. My favorite cheap mexican beer by far and one of my go to party beers. Put the lime in corona and drink it all up. Simple beer, simple taste, simple beach beer and that's it. Nothing amazing here, it is just a Corona.

2.8/5  rDev +25.6%

For it being Corona Extra, this sure tastes like a light beer! Let's get started.

Appearance - Appears highly carbonated and spritzy with a small soapy head and a yellow urine color to it.

Smell - Immediate skunk hits the senses. Smells of citrus (probably from the skunk), and maybe a hint of corn.

Taste - Somewhat bitter, slight burn of alcohol. Really lacks in taste.

Mouthfeel - REALLY watered down; more like a light beer. The beer is a little dry on the tongue.

Overall - This beer is average and definitely not my first pick for a session beer.

1.52/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Straw colored. Head is gone before I could type "head is gone." Brilliant clarity.

Smells like a trace of skunk, some grits, and my old dorm room lobby.

Tastes grainy, bitter, and then oddly sweet when swallowed. A little bit of old corn. Tastes more vegetal as it warms, but I wouldn't recommend letting it do that (but you know this already- it's Corona, after all!)

Carbonation is nice as I'm drinking it; it's crisp. But it makes my mouth feel gluey afterwards.

Not the best cheap beer, but not as bad as I remembered. Still- grab a Tecate instead!

1.49/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

No bueno.
All publicity, no quality.
Pissy beer... I wish I never had to drink this beer again, but so many people who don't know beer think this is a good one and they buy it all the time.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.