Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,204 | Ratings: 4,735
1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

Pale Yellow, smell is skunked. My room mate described it best “it smells like your dads beer breath when he comes home from drinking”. The lime saves it a bit. But honestly there’s not much here. Maybe some floral hops and a quite malty after taste which I didn’t mind at all. Almost quite liked this malt. The whole mix is very plain.

I would hold a sixer of these for if alternative for water on a hot day.

1.05/5  rDev -52.9%

Yuck. As far as I am concerned, Corona is about the worst beer in the world. Lime/no lime - it doesnt matter. It tastes like crap either way. I wish I could be more contructive with this review, talking about the hidden flavors and whatnot, but I really can't. I'd take a natty light any day.

2.83/5  rDev +26.9%

poured a pale yellow color with unstoppable white puffy head. Smell is minimal with only a slight sweetish character found. Taste is also minimal but refreshing (maybe the lime helps with that) Finish is very mild, but not offensive. An easy to drink beer on a hot summer day.

2.03/5  rDev -9%

i had a corona and lime with tacos tonight and i enjoyed it. for this review im having 1 more , minus the lime. i said the same thing about heineken, i think this beer gets rated worse than it deserves. im not saying i LIKE it but jeez its not THAT bad.
looks kind of darker than i expected, golden orange, zero head but when u first pour, it sure looks like soda.
smells like a macro... ok is it some weird psychological thing or is there really some lime in the beer? i smell it (maybe it's on my hands from earlier) actually the more i sniff the worse it smells.
tastes pretty plain, i guess thats why u add the lime? hmmm, like i said about the smell, the more i drink the worse it tastes. but it never reaches the level of awful for me. i mean , of course compared to some of the truly wonderful brews out there, yes corona is awful.
by itself, no fruit, as a review on this website and alphabetically between brutal bitter and dead guy in my reviews, this beer SUCKS. the taste is pretty bad, but i give it points for drinkability because it's fun to cut up a lime, make some guac and have a couple of these.

oh yeah, and there was recently a discussion in the beer forum about beers that are good out of the bottle, as opposed to poured into a glass... i'll pop a lime wedge right in the bottle and say this is one that might be better with no additional dirty dishes

1.22/5  rDev -45.3%

Okay so every bottle of this I have ever had is skunked. I think it is supposed to come that way. Really that is the best use for this beer, when you want to show someone what 'light struck' really means.

It doesn't look bad and is a nice straw colored pale beer with nice carbonation. It doesn't even feel bad, though the astringent skunkiness does detract some. The beer is a little sweet in taste if that matters. And the lime actually does get rid of the crap flavor. Wonder what bottling genius figured that one out.

Stay away from this one.

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A little bad than its sister corona de barril; prefered by gringos with lime; its hops and malted smell; bitter and soft body taste; i try this beer ion special ocassions(weddings, partys, reunions) good for all mexican food and most seafood; try in a shoot glass; 90% recommended.

2.21/5  rDev -0.9%

This is a review of Corona with a small lime wedge inserted into the bottle.

The enemic straw colour of this cervesa is indicative of its nature. This is a light beer. Upon opening of this beer, it's evident that it is very carbonated. Insertion of the lime further proves this as an eruption of foam ensues forcing me to take desperate measures by inserting the mouth of the bottle into my mouth to save the carpet. The foam tastes alright...of course there's a lot of lime in there. I like lime.

Before inserting the lime, taking a nice whiff of the fumes pouring out of the spout of the bottle i smell skunk....and what is that? grass? Keep this stuff in the bottle! Do not smell at all costs! After inserting the lime, and saving the carpet, taking another whiff, it smells like lime and skunk, I'm now noticing the yeast aroma. I don't want to know what body orrifice they found that yeast in...ick...

This stuff tastes about 10 times better than it smells. But that's not saying much. Bizzare malt and lack of hops make this a strange, but light brew. The lime adds flavour to a basically flavourless coctail.

I guess i wasted all the fizziness whilst adding the lime, because most of that fizziness is now gone. There are a few bubbles stuck to the lime. He looks like he wants out of the this bath. I do feel sorry for this little wedge of lime. Serve this stuff damned cold and its actually damn easy to drink. Refreshing even. Almost enjoyable sitting around a pool suntanning with. As long as you don't think of this as a beer its actually kind of good to drink...

As long as you add that lime wedge

1.27/5  rDev -43%

So, I am supposed to seriously review this beer... OK, I'll give it my best shot.

Pale yellow in color. Not golden, not deep yellow. Just plain pale, unappetizing yellow. Not very clear. I always considered appearance to be a least flexible category when reviewing. After all, how do you make a bad looking beer? Well, I wonder no more. This is one unattractive, uninviting brew.

What strikes me most about the aroma, is that it feels very unnatural. No hops or malt, no fruity or herbal notes, no caramel or nuts. Machine oil? Maybe. I think Corona is proof that you can make just about anything ferment. Taste is disgusting. And it's cold too. Can't imagine drinking it even slightly warm. However, I do understand why you need a lemon or lime in this one.

I think this is bad even by macro standards. If I'm stuck in a bar or a party with no decent selection this will be my last choice - after Bud, Miller, Coors, and even ginger ale and water. And I do not agree with some who say that it's good for a hot day. It's not good for anything.

Terrible mouthfeel. Completely undrinkable.

Yack!

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

The bottle still looks great (albeight the trendiness is long time gone I guess) ... and that's about it ... tastes like more like a soapy artifical lemon juice than a beer ... a party drink for the girls I guess ...
there is a story about the slice of lemon usually added to the bottle in a bar: Mexicans apparently used it to clean the rusty remains of the cap (not sure whether that is true but maybe one of our Mexican friends here could shed some light to it) ...

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

This has a very pale straw appearance that looks kind of un-beer like. It's not impressive. It has an initial flourish of carbonation but that dies quickly as does the head. The smell is primarily grainy: corny (literally) and cheap. The taste is very grainy too, not a lot of malt or hops to speak of. It's very watery and light. This beer would benefit from being consumed on a 100° but really has very little to offer to somebody sitting down to enjoy a beer.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. with no freshness date. Knew I'd review it some time or another. Pours a clear gold with a thin 1 finger head that doesn't leave lacing. Smells like metal and some sweetness. The first sip had no taste. The rest of it tastes like adjuncts and metal with an average mouthfeel and average (for a macro) drinkability. Overall a macro at micro prices. A beer this price should be 2-3 times as good.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Well it is what it is. An overpriced import in a clear bottles with a painted lable. I drank it from the bottle with lime jammed down the neck. It killed the skunkiness and overpowered what little taste this brew has. I lke to drink Tecate or Sol as they are cheaper and taste better IMHO. Corona is one of those summer beers that is popular with some guests and helps cut the heat. It is great for those times when water is too heavy and you need something light to quench your thirst...(Grin).

2.6/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I hesitate to even bother reviewing Corona, but after seeing how it's so poorly rated, I figured I couldn't hurt it. In fact, I'll help it a little.

I really wonder who could tell a difference between Corona, Red Stripe, Flying Horse, Taj Majal, etc. All are considered "not recommended," but Corona is noticable lower rated than most all other beers. Sure, it's nothing great, but it's no worse than many others. I realize marketing sells the crap outa this stuff, not flavor, but it honestly isn't THAT bad especially when compared to the TRUELY undrinkable swill like, say, Old Milwaukee Ice or Charles Reibenbach Ice Ale. Even if they market the hell out of that stuff, it will not sell. Corona sells because it doesn't taste that bad. Very little interesting taste of any kind whatsoever, actually. It's slightly malty-sweet, but that's the extent of fancy descriptions. If you get a fresh batch and don't let the clear bottles (CLEAR! They're as stupid as Samuel Smith!) ruin it first, you seriously don't have that much to bitch about.

2.8/5  rDev +25.6%

Before I knew about hefe-weizen, I drank a lot of Coronas in the summer. I drink far fewer now but I still enjoy the taste of the beer as long as there’s a lot of lime in it.

Appearance: Cororna looks as bad as a beer can possibly look. It looks like piss.

Smell: Corona smells like skunk piss.

Taste: (with a lime) Corona tastes like being on a boat. It tastes like the beach. It tastes like having a hot young woman by your side in a bikini.

Seriously, pardon the juvenile figurative language but that’s what Corona tastes like to me and it always will.

I believe that there is something to be said about beers that evoke powerful memories. Corona does this for me and so for better or worse I like the taste of the skunky urine juice.

Without a lime, however, Corona tastes like you took a jar of water, dropped some rotten corn husks in it, left it in the sun for a couple days, froze it, and then put it back in the sun before filtering and bottling. It’s crap without lime.

I'm not some anal purist who thinks that lime is cheating. Adding an orange ot a Blue Moon to make it suck less is fine, adding a lemon to certain wheats to improve on them is fine, and adding a lime to a Cororna is manditory.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It feels like tap water.

Drinkability: At parties in the summer where my options are Miller Lite from the keg or Corona from the fridge, I can happily drink a half dozen of these perros or more without feeling much of anything. Gotta have about 5 limes wedged in to the last one if you’re gonna drink that many though.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

I had this in the bottle with NO lime. I only had two and got no buzz, but somehow it gave me a terrible headache. This is a very overrated beer. It reminds of some Miller stuff except it's nastier and more expensive than anything Miller makes. I will never buy this again.

2.54/5  rDev +13.9%

Corona is a beer that is now a victim of it's own marketing success, as it is shunned by any serious beer drinker while still enjoying popularity among the youngest drinkers, the hip, and people who don't really appreciate beer. I loved it in my college years and still consider it serviceable, especially in the summer, although I now can see it for what it is..fairly bland and well advertised.
Thin, pale yellow with little head. Clear bottle. Citrus and wheat profile..passable if not good.
Taste is unneccesarily acidic but is also light and refreshing. Does cause some frightful belching..or that could just be me.
For me, this is good at the beach or barbecue but once fall arrives, I don't consider another until Memorial Day..unless its free of course.

3.85/5  rDev +72.6%

Pale yellow, with a little foam. IN general, it tastes like if it was frozen and then put in the sun, what is sometimes called Burned. I would avoid to drink this beer as much as possible since the after taste is a little anoying. It is known as Coronita in Spain, due to some legal issues, but Coronita in Mexico is a smaller presentation. NO cans found in Mexico but available in the USA.

1.26/5  rDev -43.5%

Served in a 12 oz CLEAR bottle. I think the clear bottle is the first mistake of this beer. Although there are some clear bottled beers that are great (Sam Smith), some should be in black bottles and never drank (drunk, drunken, drinked upon?).
A very skunky smell and an even more skunky taste. Very thin mouthfeel, like carbonated water with a twang.
Not worth my time or anyone elses time. Corona marketing dept should be very proud of themselves.
Unless served with limes (plural), this beer is very unenjoyable and most likely undrinkable.

1.27/5  rDev -43%

Seeing that many others have review this one I m ight as well too. I have always down this one because of the natural undrinkability of it.

Appearance: It pours a very pale straw color with lots of white foam. It is very pissy looking, like mine.

Smell: It smells not very good. It can be qualified somewhat between piss, and artifical hops.

Taste: It is average if you add lemon juice. Otherwise, it is just a light malted water with caramel flavours. The taste last short and the aftertaste is also short, but it is more hoppy and yeasty.

Mouthfeel: It is so watery and it got that foamy carbonation thing.

Drinkability: A world-famous brand, but one of the most overrated ones too. I have had better stuff from Mèxico, uh XX

1.65/5  rDev -26%

Quite possibly one of the worst beers on the planet. Appearance resembles "morning urine", smell is rather skunky and unappealing, Tastes like crap, however it is almost always served with a lime with gives it an exceptional drinkability. With the lime inserted it is as drinkable as Perrier and goes down just as easily. would take no time at all to polish off a 12 pack. Overall however this beer is little more than headache in a bottle and wouldn't reccomend it to even my worst enemy.

1.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Ohhhh myyy....Corona. I remember back in the mid-to-late 80's, when this trendsetter beer really hit it's marketing stride. Frat boys everywhere would slop down gallons of the stuff while posing at the bar with the snappy, sexy-looking bottle. I myself will admit to knocking back a few of these once in a while, but even then, the skunky and acidic flavor always put me off.

Anyway, I was recently doing some housechores for some friends, watering the plants and feeding the cats while they were on vacation. They said I could help myself to anything in the fridge, but all I could find in there to drink was the dreaded Corona. I figured that I'd give it a try again after all these years, even though I still had my misgivings. All it did was bring back some nostalgic memories. The beer itself still sucked just as bad as it did back in the day.

Terrible looking on the pour. The nose was all sulphur and acid, pure skunk. Weak head, pale straw in color, very clear.

The taste was just overwhelmed by the skunk profile. The clear bottles do nothing for this beer in terms of the taste, although I stringly suspect that the skunk is an integral part of the flavor profile for a lot of people. Nothing else really comes through. Not much in the way of hops, no real malt presence to speak of.

Average mouthfeel. Not drinkable at all. People will almost always drop a lime or three in this beer to offset the acidic nature of the beast. That kinda works. I highly recommend that tactic if you're ever stuck drinking this overpriced, overhyped turkey. Next time I housesit, I'm leaving the fridge alone.

2.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Tastes of salt, dried and fresh, crushed lemons/limes rise to the surface in the initial sip and are replaced by plums in the finish. Upon warming, brine and seafood in the nose...hints of grapes in the aftertaste. Souvlaki, yeast, and mozarella emerge too. I mention these latter flavors not to suggest that the beer is complex, just to indicate that as it gets warm, funky, random tastes appear. Very cold, this is a guilty pleasure. Warm, it's all feet and naval cheese. (The 1 for appearance is because of the anemic look and the appearance of having already been recycled. I'll recycle my beer myself, thank you very much.)

1.71/5  rDev -23.3%

Tested in parallel with Sol. This beer is brewed under license in Belgium.

The colour is pale yellow. The finger thick white head is quite airy.

The smell is weak with some mixed notes of dill, yeast and some alcohol.

The taste is almost musty with a first note of wheat flour. Then, a mild sourish taste with notes of vegetables, and traces of bitterness emerges. There is no body at all in this one. The aftertaste is almost absent, however there are some artificial notes of bitter hops.

The carbonation is very strong, which gives the beer a sharp mouth feel.

This is not a decent beer.

2.13/5  rDev -4.5%

You have to worry about any beer (other than some wheat beers) that highly suggest you add a wedge of citrus to it. I can't believe that this is the #1 imported beer in America. The only reason it scored so high in drinkability is that it goes down like a lime Perrier on a hot summer day, but then again so does lime Perrier. Why is it such a popular beer? For the same reason that Vodka is the most popular liquor. No taste, thus it is not offensive to anyone. Its a shame when there are so many good, refreshing beers out there.

2.91/5  rDev +30.5%

Well a typical piss yellow appearing macro brew lager.I do like bottle though. Smell is half corn and wheat. The taste is of corn and wheat. However, add a lime and you can drink it like soda. I relize its not a great beer but its not that bad either. On a hot sunny day its the beer of choice. So I have to give it a higer grade than most macro brews.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.