Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra
2.34/5
Poor
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

View: Beers
firstprev| 5076-5100 | 5101-5125 | 5126-5150  | next → last
Ratings: 5,143 |  Reviews: 1,277
1.9/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I've got to admit that I'm not a fan of this beer. It's got a bad swill aroma, and its marketing (stick a lime in it) makes me cringe. On the other hand, there is a more inexpensive knockoff called Suprema, that ain't half bad. Haiku:

Corona's not beer
Its Mexican swamp water
For yuppies and girls.

2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I feel so dirty admitting this, but I don't mind Corona. No, I don't drink it all the time, I bet I drink one six of it during the summer. Its the situation(s) that I will consume of these, i.e. while bbq-ing on a very hot day or after a softball game. Not much in terms of taste but very drinkable in terms of being able to slap 'em down without thinking. No, it won't replace a good IPA (or even a poor IPA), but its drinkable. I'm going back in the closet now...

2.68/5  rDev +14.5%

Nice color and head but after that you might as well as stop. The taste is very very bland which imakes this beer good when eating Mexican food. Other than that forget it there are so many better brews out their.

3.07/5  rDev +31.2%

An excited champange carbonation level, pale straw yellow. A spicey clover nose, and a sweet clover maltiness on the tongue. Texture has quite the bite like fizzy soda. Very straightforward, very simple. Refreshing.

1.9/5  rDev -18.8%

really nothing to look at in a glass and no head. slight skunk and grain (adjunct) aroma. watery mouthfeel and the weakest hint of hops. tastes like nothing. i can't believe they make a light version of this. i do understand why people drink this with a lemon or lime. it actually improves the beer. this is worse than any US macroswill.

1.98/5  rDev -15.4%

No two ways about it: this is just bad beer. In our teens, we used to drink it on Mexico road trips because it was about 25 cents a bottle and we didn't know any better. If I end up at a picnic with all the US macro-lagers and Corona as my only choices in the cooler, I'll pick Bud, Miller, or even Coors over the Corona. With that said, if you can throw the first one down without barfing, they get a little easier to tolerate. If you want to drink Mexican beer, almost any other choice is better and no more expensive.

2.92/5  rDev +24.8%

Although it at times resembles urine, Corona is quite refreshing, provided the lime is in there to mask the taste. There isn't much to the appearance and it goes down like water, which is why I dont mind throwin back a few of these sometimes. Gives me nice memories of my high school days, when I was indifferent to crap beer such as this.

1.77/5  rDev -24.4%

Looks like ginger ale. No smell and lots of big bubbles. Zero head and zero retention. Watery and lacks any real distinct flavors. Use a lime if there is any around, because it needs something... Not bad tasting, just boring.

2.77/5  rDev +18.4%

Just ok. Nothing special, but not undrinkable. In fact it's pretty easy to drink. It's just pretty forgettable, but it is pretty easy to chug.

1.96/5  rDev -16.2%

See my review for Corona Light. Bigger twitching skunk, bigger corn patch, same damned clown. Somebody at Modelo must be looking at the sales and peeing his pants laughing.

1.87/5  rDev -20.1%

I try and I try but other than a vague sweetness and carbonation, I can't taste a thing...given the media buzz on this tasteless brew, I'm still waiting for the fuss to die down...

1.47/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not much taste, but it has its moments on hot summer days, a bit pricey for what you get in the end really.

2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Out of the few Mexican beers that I have tasted, I can probably say this is one of worst. Pours a bright clear straw / yellow color with a faint lace. On the nose there isn’t much, light cooked veggies. On the palate the flavors of husk, light sweetness, slight bitterness, fairly clean. Just not much going on, still drinkable on a hot day though, but why bother.

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

OK, when it's really hot out and you're slaving over the grill cooking up some fajitas, and you're wife gives you one of these -- really cold -- with a wedge of lime to mask the skunkiness, then maybe, just maybe, you drink it. That is, unless there's something better in your fridge.

Do you believe there's a "light" version of this? This is already light, tasteless beer. To call this "chick beer", as I've heard it referred to as, is an insult to women!

1.3/5  rDev -44.4%

Crystal clear pale yellow in color. Smells and tastes skunky. Requires a slice of lemon or lime to toloerate. Not a good beer! I thought I was cool with it in my high-school days...just a fad thing.

Sometimes, I must admit that a cold Corona hits the spot on a hot summer day ... or is it the 5 lemon or lime wedges that I pushed into the bottle to mask this lackluster beer? Remove the citrus addition and you've got an adjunct full beer with a very bland character all around. Anything less than ice cold is also undrinkable.

1.84/5  rDev -21.4%

The hype sells this beer, not the flavor, which it lacks altogether. Many better Mexican offerings are available, such as Tecate.

firstprev| 5076-5100 | 5101-5125 | 5126-5150  | next → last
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 2.34 out of 5 with 5,143 ratings