Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra
2.34/5
Poor
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,204 |  Reviews: 1,286
2.4/5  rDev +2.6%

I have had a number of these beers in my less informed days. Yet I have never had one in a glass. I have had them in the bottle with a lime and even in a can with a lime. It is a light golden color with little aroma. Its nothing really special tasting either like most mass produced beers. But I’m here to say that given the right situation this is a beer that I could drink. Going out to a Mexican restaurant to eat you almost have to have a corona. Or on the beach a corona is not a bad choice but other then a few situations I would suggest to pass. Must have a lime to drink it. Do not attempt it with out the lime.

1.41/5  rDev -39.7%

Was at a friends party and his wife chose a fiesta theme. Guess what beer they had. Corona or Corona Light. It had been a while so i figured before i left to buy the host some decent beer id give it a go. Well one can clearly see the colour is a very pale yellow . Aromas were chemical, and astringent. Mouthfeel was brutal due to the carbonation and over all taste. The taste was not that of beer, but of a sweetish water with a metallic bitter aftertaste. I tried this with out the lime, but the lime might help a litte to give it some sort of flavour. Drinkability is low.. I would have to be very drunk to drink one of these again.

1.74/5  rDev -25.6%

Taking this one item by item:

Appearance: Really a fairly nice golden color. With the transparent bottle, the color is a big selling point. Lacing dissapears in no time flat, when poured.

Smell: Sharp, weird, and rather unpleasent. A bit of malt, and some rotting grain, which I'm told is corn. Can't help but think something could have been done in this area.

Taste: Thankfully, not as harsh as the smell would make you think. Lightly malty. Highly acidic. Odd, you'd think all the lime people pour in this would make the acidic qualities worse. With how unpleasent it smells, you'd think the taste would be more memorable, but it's actually rather bland.

Mouthfeel: Ever lick a 9-volt battery? Kinda like that. Tangy. Watery. Possibly this beer's worst area.

Drinkability: I hate this category. It implies this beer's drinkable. It isn't. Screw the lime, this stuff sucks. Finishing the pint I bought is going to be a chore.

2.18/5  rDev -6.8%

This beer comes in a clear bottle (wouldn't that cause it to become skunky if exposed to sunlight?). It is a simple yellow beer with little head and no lacing. The aroma is nothing special - smells like any other mass produced beer on the market. The taste is acceptable with a lemon slice in it - slightly better than most other middle-American beers I've had, but still not anywhere near the top of my list.

1.6/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance – Very light yellow body with a small head.

Smell – Grain or corn on the olfactory bulb. Not much else.

Taste – This beer didn’t have to get warm to let loose the skunk. The grain and corn flavors were left without support or balance as well, so overall a poor experience.

Mouthfeel – Flat and watery on the tongue.

Drinkability – A single lime wedge won’t save this one. In fact, I would have preferred to drink 12 ounces of lime juice with a splash of Corona.

Comments – Not much positive to write about on this one. Sorry, but it just wasn’t very good. I saw that some Karma Midgets fived it, but only three mugged BAs gave it a three or higher. This one is not on my Christmas list.

1.88/5  rDev -19.7%

Well, this is it – review #20. After this what I have to say gets to count! So I saved up this review as special.

This is the stuff I used to drink all the time. With a lime, of course.

Then I started to visit a couple of the local beer pubs / brew pubs out near the cottage and discovered that beer was actually far more interesting than what you could find at the local Beer Store (Ontario). The LCBO also happened to be doing a beer marketing thing, so all of a sudden there was a big variety to choose from close to hand.

I decided to make learning how to drink beer my summer project – and I've learned a lot and had a ton of fun (my thanks to BA for the assist).

So. On to the beer at hand.

Yup. Smells skunky. Not appealing to look at compared to a lot of other beers out there. Pale, no head. Not too tasty either. But then, it doesn't necessarily deserve all the 1/5's it scored either. It's not out-and-out offensive like some of the stuff I've come across in Beerland.

I guess it's pretty much adios now, Corona. I'll stick to beer.

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine recently had a birthday party and free Corona's were offered. So I decided to have one without the lime, none were offered. Everyone knows how not good it is so I won't waste our time by repeating it. Let's focus on the positives: It isn't Corona Light, um, that's it.

1.37/5  rDev -41.5%

I originally drank this out of politeness to my neighbor on 19 May 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Well, it's better than Coors or Buttwiper, that's the only positive. It has no aroma, nor flavor. In fact, you have to put the lime in to make it drinkable.

Oh Christ, why did they offer me this? Corona. Comes in clear bottles, so you can see the light colour of the brew and possibly get that skunked smell and taste. Pours a very pale, pale yellow and gold colour that you can see through like a pair of contact lenses. No head whatsoever. Add a little salt, you barely get a bubble. Smelled skunky. Every Corona I've had, which isn't very many, had this skunked smell. It is so overpowering that any malt or hop scent is undetectable. Sour tasting. Add a lime, and it's barely tolerable. Mostly because you can taste the lime. The aftertaste is a sour/bitter combination. Perhaps some evidence of hops? Sorry, not enough. Thin, light, watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't want to drink this at all. One of the biggest overhyped and worst beers one can get.

1.49/5  rDev -36.3%

Light Gold color, small head. Light tasting lager style beer. Light bodied and moderately hoppy. Very carbonated. Mouthfeel is a little light, a little yeasty. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Trendy Swill Best ICE COLD on a HOT DAY.I always have a fit when I see this beer for $7 or $8 buck a six pack in some places. I remember when I could by this stuff for 25 cents a sixer in Baja.

2.01/5  rDev -14.1%

Presentation: 12ox. translucent bottle with no "bottled on" or "best by" date; $5.99/6 pack.

Appearance: Pours a clear gold; small, shortlived, snow-white head; little-to-no lacing.

Aroma: Faint traces of cooked vegetables and not much else.

Taste: Gently sweet upfront with a faint-to-mild hop bitterness in the finish; primary notes are of corn and a flavor I think of as "macro-skunk". Crisp with a light mouthfeel.

Notes: We all know this beer's worthless and overhyped; ripping it would be a waste of my time.

1.58/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

the best choice i had out of a fridge full of bad brews. is this exact same brew as corona light, just in a slightly different bottle? methinks so. looks the same, smells the same, tastes the same. looks like piss, tastes like water. no characteristics whatsoever. add a lime and create lime water, should you desire...i certainly didn't. i hate when people drink this stuff and think they're enjoying a quality brew. that is all.

1.79/5  rDev -23.5%

It is a clear gold with active carbonation. It had a finger thick head that was soon gone. Nothing left but a coller and some islands of lace.

Light struck - skunky.

Taste is subpar, as expected.

I drink this beer for the image alone, and think you should to

2.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Mass produced from Mexico.. light yellow color with little flavor if any it's on the bitter end.. flat low carboantion with no lasting Belgian lace.. is not very drinkable either with lime or without it. Mouthfeel is light and no body with not much substance. Smell is weak and non impressive.

1.82/5  rDev -22.2%

This brew poured a medium head of small to large sized white bubbles that left very little lacing. It has a wheat yellow body with a mild if any aroma. It has an initial bite that lingers slightly into the aftertaste. It has a mild hoppy malt flavor.

3.53/5  rDev +50.9%

This review covers Corona with the requisite lime and salt. It pours a rather plain yellow, and the smell is quite average as well. The taste, a pleasent bitter and salty combination which occurs for obvious reasons, is fantastic. However, the mouthfeel is not as satisfying. Not a bad beer in all, but there exist better.

1.63/5  rDev -30.3%

While my wife will strongly disagree with this review (why almost all chicks love this swill is beyond comprehension), I have to be honest and say this is one of the world's worst beers. I guess if your idea of beer is a brew almost devoid of taste, and what taste there is reminds you of cardboard or rotting wood smell, a nasty metallic bitter aftertaste, watery as hell body, and even paler looking in color, then go buy yourself a case of this swill, er, 'beer'. Good luck to you.

1.73/5  rDev -26.1%

You can see and feel the masterful power of the Anheuser - Busch marketing machine behind this cheap, watery, bland, corn-mealy, highly over-rating suds.
Rating - Listen to the warning bells going off in your head whenever someone tries to squeeze a lemon or lime wedge into your bottle. - It's either flavorless or disgusting. This pale yellow swill with the fast fading white head lager holds a light pasty malt, almost flavorless light hops and a sweet wet corncob aroma and taste. This beer is not disgusting with the lime added, it is however, a poor excuse for a beer.

1.33/5  rDev -43.2%

Ok the time has come to take on this "awsome" brew, I had put it off for a long time, much longer than I had earlier avoided Budweiser.
I did not take this with lime..a beer should stand on its own merits.
The appearance sad to say is no better poured into a glass than it is in the bottle..looks like urine after a good nights partying...small pure white head dissapeared in nano-seconds..leaving a rather unattractive wisp effect ( al la urine) on top.
An absolutlly appauling aroma sensation..rotting grass etc
Taste is ..nada nothing..just a horrid astringency at the back of the tongue that lasts 2 secs then nothing again
Not impressed by the mouth feel..like water and not good bottled water.
I suppose in some weird parallel universe I might find this hogwash drinkable. I really had every intention of bucking the trend and giving this a good review..but its just terrible.
Odd how so many fall for marketing over substance.

1.59/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Tonight is my 'light' night at the Flying Saucer. After a Coors Light, I had a Corona Extra. It poured a clear yellow but was relatively flat. No head. It had no aroma which could be good since it was not skunked in that clear bottle. The flavor was equally bland. The mouthfeel was similar to water. One of the folks at the table said that Corona makes a great pool beer. Well I was not at the pool so I found it less than desirable. It was not horrible but not even good.

1.3/5  rDev -44.4%

All of us have been at a swanky party or Mexican restaurant that have pushed us to try a Corona with a lime, lemon or shot of tequila. While I can't speak for everyone this is one beer that I wish that I had not tasted. First off, it is beer in a clear bottle. Which leads to the beer becoming a skunk beer the day it was bottled. When the beer is opened the aroma is strong and smells like wet paper towels that have been sitting in the sun. Taste was lackluster and I have found, like most malt liquors, it was drinkable albeit when it was very very cold. If someone offers you a bottle of this brew run away and throw the lemon or lime at them and grab the shot of tequila.

2.33/5  rDev -0.4%

Now, I understand that this board is full of people that strongly believe you have to be able to cut your beer with a knofe. Corona isn't a bad beer. Especially for one day a year. (5/5) I would consider it the best of the shit beers, and I wouldn't be ashamed to have it in my fridge. Of course, right now I have a Bent Tree and a Tripel, but hey, it COULD happen!

I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides. I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...
appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?). Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.
Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.)

2.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It really says something about a beer when you have to put a lime in it to make it drinkable. I'm altogether impressed with Mexico and other South American countries when it comes to beer; Bohemia and Modelo Negro are considerably good. But Corona... what the hell is Corona? "Mexican monkey piss" is the best moniker I've heard to date.

There's something about Corona that makes me feel dirty when I drink it. Don't ask, but it's enough to prevent my from buying it under my own free will.

2.05/5  rDev -12.4%

Not exactly the biggest fan of Corona. I have to admit, I like drinking it in the summer time outside, maybe when at a Jimmy Buffett concert or something like that. Otherwise, I generally don't drinkt his stuff unless there is absolutely nothing else around . Not recommended.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 2.34 out of 5 with 5,204 ratings