Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,229 | Ratings: 4,861
2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle. No need to dirty up a glass.

Appearance - Golden and clear. No head to speak of.

Smell - Hard to get past the skunky aroma, but when trying to I get a bit of a grainy smell.

Taste - grain, corn, combined with that skunkiness.

Mouthfeel - Super light and crisp.

Drinkability - I can put these down on a hot day. I rarely care for a lime but really it does help mask the skunkiness. Aside from being something cold and refreshing its really not worth the money. I love mexican food and I still prefer a Modelo over this.

My parents drink nothing but Corona and Corona Light, I have no idea why, maybe they have fallen prey to the marketing wizards who seem to have put a spell over the people who absolutely love this stuff. As a marketing dude, I think what they have done is genius but as a beer drinker I would never pay that much for this type of beer when there are so many other similar, cheaper beers.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

Offers very little in the way of taste, fragrance, or appearance, but if you shove a couple lime wedges down the neck, you basically get a fairly tasty, fairly drinkable, flavored beer. Lime flavored beer, that is. Without the lime, I find this completely undrinkable, but with it, it's somehow almost refreshing. I almost don't consider it a real beer, but I also don't really mind putting one down at a Mexican restaurant once or twice a year when the mood hits.

1.65/5  rDev -26.3%

Appearence: Yellow. Very light in color

Smell: Yup. Very faint smell. Difficult to describe.

Taste: Very little. Not my type of beer. Not much in hops and/or malts.

Mouthfeel: Yup. Very light.

Drinkability: Nope. Again , not my type of beer. But there is a beer for everyone, so enjoy

1.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear dandelion-yellow with an amber tint. White head. No retention and no lacing.

Smell: Skunk sprays from the bottle upon opening, but thankfully dissipates rather quickly, leaving only a slight tweak of skunkiness in my glass. Besides that, there is kind of a grassy smell plus an odd sweetness, a cross between pee and peas. A fruity edge and some doughy yeast are also detectable.

Taste: So very, very weak. It's hard to identify anything other than corn and a dish soapy lemon pucker on the back of the tongue. I wish I had a lime.

Mouthfeel: Unpleasant.

Drinkability: I haven't said anything good about this beer, but this is certainly very drinkable if served ice-cold with a lime. I actually prefer Corona Light, because it is slightly more refreshing; this one has a strangely sticky mouthfeel.

2.5/5  rDev +11.6%

Looks like a golden, sometimes-bubbly beer. The smell is a tad skunked, damn clear bottles... whats the point in these things anyway? The taste isnt too terribly skunked though so thats good. Its hit or miss with these ones. Very bland tasting. Corny/grainy flavor, a little bready, not much else. Very faint tasting, nothing offensive. Clean finish. The mouthfeel is decent for a beer of this style. Drinkability is okay as well. I wouldnt go out of my way for one of these, but I suppose its a little better than most of usa's macro lagers.

1.48/5  rDev -33.9%

Appearance - Pale yellow with no foam.

Smell - Corn-like, very odourous.

Taste - Watered down, skunky-tasting beer. 2nd worst to Coors Light. No reason to tap Mexico either.

Drinkability - Very bad macrobrew, particularly something considered an export beer. If you're buying something cheap, stick with Bud or Natty Lite.

2.48/5  rDev +10.7%

The ever adored Corona, a spring break/ college staple. Well, I had one of these for myself.... Mixed feelings. I was a little dissapointed because it had been so built up in my mind. I guess I expected too much from a beer that delivered so little.

Drank from the bottle with a slice of lime that salvaged this beer from being awful. The smell was a little skunky? Wasn't sure if this was how the beer is naturally, or if the clear bottle led to a skunkful demise. The appearance was a light yellow, like straw. I don't like that in a beer, it leads you to believe there is little flavor... I guess that sounds about right. It wasn't that the lime is over-powering, there just isn't much flavor to it besides the slight skunk. The mouthfeel is thin, but not watery in taste really.

It's weird though, even though nothing really stands out in this beer, i would continue to drink it. If I were at a party with some friends and they had some ice cold coronas, what the hell right? Don't forget to put a lime in mine... better make that two slices...

2.63/5  rDev +17.4%

While it may not be much of a beer for us " beer drinkers " , it is really good under the hot sun when your thirsty. ( lime is definatly mandatory for me , would NOT drink one without it. ) Nothing special , but very drinkable in certain situations . ( cutting grass , out on the beach and forgot to get better beer , ETC...)

2.57/5  rDev +14.7%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water.

2.01/5  rDev -10.3%

A = a very pale lager that's just a few hues above water color.

S = smells like a typical macro beer of corn, and some hops with a skunky odor dominating.

T = very skunky tasting and without the lime to cover the horrible taste up, this would be undrinkable.

M = very thin and highly carbonated but slightly refreshing.

D = this is a lawnmower beer plain a simple. nothing special, really. I wouldn't waste my money on it when something like pbr or old style is available for less than half the price.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer was tasted in a pilsner glass from the bottle.

The color is a bright gold but the head has a hard time getting going and then what little head shows up fades quickly although there is a little foam the whole way down the beer. The smell and taste are the usual corn like flavor characteristic of the style but is very water down. The mouthfeel is waterery with sharp carbonation. Overall it is easy to drink but the carbonation is really harsh so it gets an slightly below average drinkability.

2.63/5  rDev +17.4%

Corona is to beer what the hot brainless blond cheerleeder you went to high school with is to people. Looks great, but no substance. For some reason, that beer in a bottle that's just been pulled out of the ice and is condenced over is pretty near to the most appealing looking I've ever seen. I'm not sure why, I find this so asethetically pleasing since you could also argue pretty well that Corona's color is a dead ringer for urine. Anyway, this forced me to rate the rest of the attributes a little lower than I otherwise would have. First, because the price is a big turnoff imo and for that reason I don't think I'd reccomend this very often. They charge real premium beer prices for Corona, and that's ridiculous. There's no excuse. The quality sure as hell isn't justification, and neither is the fact that its an "import". How much more could it possibly cost to ship this to NJ than say Sierra Nevada? Anyway, the smell, taste, and feel are nothing to write home about. They aren' t good or bad, just extremely bland. There's a tiny bit of sweetness, a very vague notion of hops, you can tell this was better done than say Budwieser, and its got enough body that you won't mistake it for light beer. But that's it. Nothing much hear folks. The reason why lime does so much for Corona is because that's almost all you can taste if you drop in a lime wedge. This is in sharp contrast to the couple of "Whites" I've tried of late, which go well with citrus because the citrus compliments their own noticable flavor. The only time I reccomend Corona is if you plan on drinking beer at a barbeque all day, and its real hot out and someone else has paid for it(If I wasn't concerned about inflating the overall rating past what I think it deserves, I'd give Corona's drinkability a 5). Then its bland inoffensiveness would come in handy. Otherwise you could probably get yourself two of something that tastes much better for what Corona costs. Its not awful though. I might pay the ripoff price if all I could have was Corona, or one of our American "Big 3".

1.56/5  rDev -30.4%

mmmm skunky! I could smell the skunk before I even poured it, and I wasn't sniffing the bottle. The smell of this beer is lightstruck plus yeast and maybe a little burro urine. It pours a decent golden color with no head whatsoever, even pouring into the middle of the glass didn't generate any head to speak of. The taste is sorta sweet, and sorta hoppy, but nothing you can really make out. It has a lingering aftertaste that I can't say I enjoy. Mouthfeel is actually pretty heavy and a little creamy, but does nothing to help the rest of the beer. All in all, it's not great. I won't be buying this again, especially at australian import prices.

1.61/5  rDev -28.1%

I have a hard time with this stuff, and I'm trying to keep in mind of how it's made for a hot and humid climate.

Appearance - Very light colored, nothing special. Very little head.

Smell - Ew. Just gross. Corn and alcohol, which shouldn't be true for something only 4.6%.

Taste - Not bad, not good, not pleasant. It is just kinda there. Small taste of beer, mostly watery.

Mouthfeel - Bad aftertaste, no good flavor lingers on.

Drinkability - So bad that I can't drink another. Maybe if I had just mowed a lawn, or was at the beach. But at a party or anything other than that, no way would I drink another.

2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

By all accounts this beer should be a bad beer. It pours like soda with almost no head that vanishes instantly. The color is something like urine, while the nose reminds me of my high school chemistry lab. By itself the beer tastes like many other macros. It feels nice going down, though, and it's easy to drink. When it's ice cold I am hard-pressed to find a better thirst-quencher than Corona on a hot day other than water. Now back to my first line. By all accounts this should be a bad beer, but...

But...

Stick a wedge of lime or two in it and you've got manna from heaven. I don't understand it. Does anyone else?

1.83/5  rDev -18.3%

Pale Yellow, smell is skunked. My room mate described it best “it smells like your dads beer breath when he comes home from drinking”. The lime saves it a bit. But honestly there’s not much here. Maybe some floral hops and a quite malty after taste which I didn’t mind at all. Almost quite liked this malt. The whole mix is very plain.

I would hold a sixer of these for if alternative for water on a hot day.

1.05/5  rDev -53.1%

Yuck. As far as I am concerned, Corona is about the worst beer in the world. Lime/no lime - it doesnt matter. It tastes like crap either way. I wish I could be more contructive with this review, talking about the hidden flavors and whatnot, but I really can't. I'd take a natty light any day.

2.83/5  rDev +26.3%

poured a pale yellow color with unstoppable white puffy head. Smell is minimal with only a slight sweetish character found. Taste is also minimal but refreshing (maybe the lime helps with that) Finish is very mild, but not offensive. An easy to drink beer on a hot summer day.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

i had a corona and lime with tacos tonight and i enjoyed it. for this review im having 1 more , minus the lime. i said the same thing about heineken, i think this beer gets rated worse than it deserves. im not saying i LIKE it but jeez its not THAT bad.
looks kind of darker than i expected, golden orange, zero head but when u first pour, it sure looks like soda.
smells like a macro... ok is it some weird psychological thing or is there really some lime in the beer? i smell it (maybe it's on my hands from earlier) actually the more i sniff the worse it smells.
tastes pretty plain, i guess thats why u add the lime? hmmm, like i said about the smell, the more i drink the worse it tastes. but it never reaches the level of awful for me. i mean , of course compared to some of the truly wonderful brews out there, yes corona is awful.
by itself, no fruit, as a review on this website and alphabetically between brutal bitter and dead guy in my reviews, this beer SUCKS. the taste is pretty bad, but i give it points for drinkability because it's fun to cut up a lime, make some guac and have a couple of these.

oh yeah, and there was recently a discussion in the beer forum about beers that are good out of the bottle, as opposed to poured into a glass... i'll pop a lime wedge right in the bottle and say this is one that might be better with no additional dirty dishes

1.22/5  rDev -45.5%

Okay so every bottle of this I have ever had is skunked. I think it is supposed to come that way. Really that is the best use for this beer, when you want to show someone what 'light struck' really means.

It doesn't look bad and is a nice straw colored pale beer with nice carbonation. It doesn't even feel bad, though the astringent skunkiness does detract some. The beer is a little sweet in taste if that matters. And the lime actually does get rid of the crap flavor. Wonder what bottling genius figured that one out.

Stay away from this one.

2.5/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A little bad than its sister corona de barril; prefered by gringos with lime; its hops and malted smell; bitter and soft body taste; i try this beer ion special ocassions(weddings, partys, reunions) good for all mexican food and most seafood; try in a shoot glass; 90% recommended.

2.21/5  rDev -1.3%

This is a review of Corona with a small lime wedge inserted into the bottle.

The enemic straw colour of this cervesa is indicative of its nature. This is a light beer. Upon opening of this beer, it's evident that it is very carbonated. Insertion of the lime further proves this as an eruption of foam ensues forcing me to take desperate measures by inserting the mouth of the bottle into my mouth to save the carpet. The foam tastes alright...of course there's a lot of lime in there. I like lime.

Before inserting the lime, taking a nice whiff of the fumes pouring out of the spout of the bottle i smell skunk....and what is that? grass? Keep this stuff in the bottle! Do not smell at all costs! After inserting the lime, and saving the carpet, taking another whiff, it smells like lime and skunk, I'm now noticing the yeast aroma. I don't want to know what body orrifice they found that yeast in...ick...

This stuff tastes about 10 times better than it smells. But that's not saying much. Bizzare malt and lack of hops make this a strange, but light brew. The lime adds flavour to a basically flavourless coctail.

I guess i wasted all the fizziness whilst adding the lime, because most of that fizziness is now gone. There are a few bubbles stuck to the lime. He looks like he wants out of the this bath. I do feel sorry for this little wedge of lime. Serve this stuff damned cold and its actually damn easy to drink. Refreshing even. Almost enjoyable sitting around a pool suntanning with. As long as you don't think of this as a beer its actually kind of good to drink...

As long as you add that lime wedge

1.27/5  rDev -43.3%

So, I am supposed to seriously review this beer... OK, I'll give it my best shot.

Pale yellow in color. Not golden, not deep yellow. Just plain pale, unappetizing yellow. Not very clear. I always considered appearance to be a least flexible category when reviewing. After all, how do you make a bad looking beer? Well, I wonder no more. This is one unattractive, uninviting brew.

What strikes me most about the aroma, is that it feels very unnatural. No hops or malt, no fruity or herbal notes, no caramel or nuts. Machine oil? Maybe. I think Corona is proof that you can make just about anything ferment. Taste is disgusting. And it's cold too. Can't imagine drinking it even slightly warm. However, I do understand why you need a lemon or lime in this one.

I think this is bad even by macro standards. If I'm stuck in a bar or a party with no decent selection this will be my last choice - after Bud, Miller, Coors, and even ginger ale and water. And I do not agree with some who say that it's good for a hot day. It's not good for anything.

Terrible mouthfeel. Completely undrinkable.

Yack!

1.83/5  rDev -18.3%

The bottle still looks great (albeight the trendiness is long time gone I guess) ... and that's about it ... tastes like more like a soapy artifical lemon juice than a beer ... a party drink for the girls I guess ...
there is a story about the slice of lemon usually added to the bottle in a bar: Mexicans apparently used it to clean the rusty remains of the cap (not sure whether that is true but maybe one of our Mexican friends here could shed some light to it) ...

2.45/5  rDev +9.4%

This has a very pale straw appearance that looks kind of un-beer like. It's not impressive. It has an initial flourish of carbonation but that dies quickly as does the head. The smell is primarily grainy: corny (literally) and cheap. The taste is very grainy too, not a lot of malt or hops to speak of. It's very watery and light. This beer would benefit from being consumed on a 100° but really has very little to offer to somebody sitting down to enjoy a beer.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.