Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,205 | Ratings: 4,739
2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

This has a very pale straw appearance that looks kind of un-beer like. It's not impressive. It has an initial flourish of carbonation but that dies quickly as does the head. The smell is primarily grainy: corny (literally) and cheap. The taste is very grainy too, not a lot of malt or hops to speak of. It's very watery and light. This beer would benefit from being consumed on a 100° but really has very little to offer to somebody sitting down to enjoy a beer.

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. with no freshness date. Knew I'd review it some time or another. Pours a clear gold with a thin 1 finger head that doesn't leave lacing. Smells like metal and some sweetness. The first sip had no taste. The rest of it tastes like adjuncts and metal with an average mouthfeel and average (for a macro) drinkability. Overall a macro at micro prices. A beer this price should be 2-3 times as good.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Well it is what it is. An overpriced import in a clear bottles with a painted lable. I drank it from the bottle with lime jammed down the neck. It killed the skunkiness and overpowered what little taste this brew has. I lke to drink Tecate or Sol as they are cheaper and taste better IMHO. Corona is one of those summer beers that is popular with some guests and helps cut the heat. It is great for those times when water is too heavy and you need something light to quench your thirst...(Grin).

2.6/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I hesitate to even bother reviewing Corona, but after seeing how it's so poorly rated, I figured I couldn't hurt it. In fact, I'll help it a little.

I really wonder who could tell a difference between Corona, Red Stripe, Flying Horse, Taj Majal, etc. All are considered "not recommended," but Corona is noticable lower rated than most all other beers. Sure, it's nothing great, but it's no worse than many others. I realize marketing sells the crap outa this stuff, not flavor, but it honestly isn't THAT bad especially when compared to the TRUELY undrinkable swill like, say, Old Milwaukee Ice or Charles Reibenbach Ice Ale. Even if they market the hell out of that stuff, it will not sell. Corona sells because it doesn't taste that bad. Very little interesting taste of any kind whatsoever, actually. It's slightly malty-sweet, but that's the extent of fancy descriptions. If you get a fresh batch and don't let the clear bottles (CLEAR! They're as stupid as Samuel Smith!) ruin it first, you seriously don't have that much to bitch about.

2.8/5  rDev +25.6%

Before I knew about hefe-weizen, I drank a lot of Coronas in the summer. I drink far fewer now but I still enjoy the taste of the beer as long as there’s a lot of lime in it.

Appearance: Cororna looks as bad as a beer can possibly look. It looks like piss.

Smell: Corona smells like skunk piss.

Taste: (with a lime) Corona tastes like being on a boat. It tastes like the beach. It tastes like having a hot young woman by your side in a bikini.

Seriously, pardon the juvenile figurative language but that’s what Corona tastes like to me and it always will.

I believe that there is something to be said about beers that evoke powerful memories. Corona does this for me and so for better or worse I like the taste of the skunky urine juice.

Without a lime, however, Corona tastes like you took a jar of water, dropped some rotten corn husks in it, left it in the sun for a couple days, froze it, and then put it back in the sun before filtering and bottling. It’s crap without lime.

I'm not some anal purist who thinks that lime is cheating. Adding an orange ot a Blue Moon to make it suck less is fine, adding a lemon to certain wheats to improve on them is fine, and adding a lime to a Cororna is manditory.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It feels like tap water.

Drinkability: At parties in the summer where my options are Miller Lite from the keg or Corona from the fridge, I can happily drink a half dozen of these perros or more without feeling much of anything. Gotta have about 5 limes wedged in to the last one if you’re gonna drink that many though.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

I had this in the bottle with NO lime. I only had two and got no buzz, but somehow it gave me a terrible headache. This is a very overrated beer. It reminds of some Miller stuff except it's nastier and more expensive than anything Miller makes. I will never buy this again.

2.54/5  rDev +13.9%

Corona is a beer that is now a victim of it's own marketing success, as it is shunned by any serious beer drinker while still enjoying popularity among the youngest drinkers, the hip, and people who don't really appreciate beer. I loved it in my college years and still consider it serviceable, especially in the summer, although I now can see it for what it is..fairly bland and well advertised.
Thin, pale yellow with little head. Clear bottle. Citrus and wheat profile..passable if not good.
Taste is unneccesarily acidic but is also light and refreshing. Does cause some frightful belching..or that could just be me.
For me, this is good at the beach or barbecue but once fall arrives, I don't consider another until Memorial Day..unless its free of course.

3.85/5  rDev +72.6%

Pale yellow, with a little foam. IN general, it tastes like if it was frozen and then put in the sun, what is sometimes called Burned. I would avoid to drink this beer as much as possible since the after taste is a little anoying. It is known as Coronita in Spain, due to some legal issues, but Coronita in Mexico is a smaller presentation. NO cans found in Mexico but available in the USA.

1.26/5  rDev -43.5%

Served in a 12 oz CLEAR bottle. I think the clear bottle is the first mistake of this beer. Although there are some clear bottled beers that are great (Sam Smith), some should be in black bottles and never drank (drunk, drunken, drinked upon?).
A very skunky smell and an even more skunky taste. Very thin mouthfeel, like carbonated water with a twang.
Not worth my time or anyone elses time. Corona marketing dept should be very proud of themselves.
Unless served with limes (plural), this beer is very unenjoyable and most likely undrinkable.

1.27/5  rDev -43%

Seeing that many others have review this one I m ight as well too. I have always down this one because of the natural undrinkability of it.

Appearance: It pours a very pale straw color with lots of white foam. It is very pissy looking, like mine.

Smell: It smells not very good. It can be qualified somewhat between piss, and artifical hops.

Taste: It is average if you add lemon juice. Otherwise, it is just a light malted water with caramel flavours. The taste last short and the aftertaste is also short, but it is more hoppy and yeasty.

Mouthfeel: It is so watery and it got that foamy carbonation thing.

Drinkability: A world-famous brand, but one of the most overrated ones too. I have had better stuff from Mèxico, uh XX

1.65/5  rDev -26%

Quite possibly one of the worst beers on the planet. Appearance resembles "morning urine", smell is rather skunky and unappealing, Tastes like crap, however it is almost always served with a lime with gives it an exceptional drinkability. With the lime inserted it is as drinkable as Perrier and goes down just as easily. would take no time at all to polish off a 12 pack. Overall however this beer is little more than headache in a bottle and wouldn't reccomend it to even my worst enemy.

1.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Ohhhh myyy....Corona. I remember back in the mid-to-late 80's, when this trendsetter beer really hit it's marketing stride. Frat boys everywhere would slop down gallons of the stuff while posing at the bar with the snappy, sexy-looking bottle. I myself will admit to knocking back a few of these once in a while, but even then, the skunky and acidic flavor always put me off.

Anyway, I was recently doing some housechores for some friends, watering the plants and feeding the cats while they were on vacation. They said I could help myself to anything in the fridge, but all I could find in there to drink was the dreaded Corona. I figured that I'd give it a try again after all these years, even though I still had my misgivings. All it did was bring back some nostalgic memories. The beer itself still sucked just as bad as it did back in the day.

Terrible looking on the pour. The nose was all sulphur and acid, pure skunk. Weak head, pale straw in color, very clear.

The taste was just overwhelmed by the skunk profile. The clear bottles do nothing for this beer in terms of the taste, although I stringly suspect that the skunk is an integral part of the flavor profile for a lot of people. Nothing else really comes through. Not much in the way of hops, no real malt presence to speak of.

Average mouthfeel. Not drinkable at all. People will almost always drop a lime or three in this beer to offset the acidic nature of the beast. That kinda works. I highly recommend that tactic if you're ever stuck drinking this overpriced, overhyped turkey. Next time I housesit, I'm leaving the fridge alone.

2.44/5  rDev +9.4%

Tastes of salt, dried and fresh, crushed lemons/limes rise to the surface in the initial sip and are replaced by plums in the finish. Upon warming, brine and seafood in the nose...hints of grapes in the aftertaste. Souvlaki, yeast, and mozarella emerge too. I mention these latter flavors not to suggest that the beer is complex, just to indicate that as it gets warm, funky, random tastes appear. Very cold, this is a guilty pleasure. Warm, it's all feet and naval cheese. (The 1 for appearance is because of the anemic look and the appearance of having already been recycled. I'll recycle my beer myself, thank you very much.)

1.71/5  rDev -23.3%

Tested in parallel with Sol. This beer is brewed under license in Belgium.

The colour is pale yellow. The finger thick white head is quite airy.

The smell is weak with some mixed notes of dill, yeast and some alcohol.

The taste is almost musty with a first note of wheat flour. Then, a mild sourish taste with notes of vegetables, and traces of bitterness emerges. There is no body at all in this one. The aftertaste is almost absent, however there are some artificial notes of bitter hops.

The carbonation is very strong, which gives the beer a sharp mouth feel.

This is not a decent beer.

2.13/5  rDev -4.5%

You have to worry about any beer (other than some wheat beers) that highly suggest you add a wedge of citrus to it. I can't believe that this is the #1 imported beer in America. The only reason it scored so high in drinkability is that it goes down like a lime Perrier on a hot summer day, but then again so does lime Perrier. Why is it such a popular beer? For the same reason that Vodka is the most popular liquor. No taste, thus it is not offensive to anyone. Its a shame when there are so many good, refreshing beers out there.

2.91/5  rDev +30.5%

Well a typical piss yellow appearing macro brew lager.I do like bottle though. Smell is half corn and wheat. The taste is of corn and wheat. However, add a lime and you can drink it like soda. I relize its not a great beer but its not that bad either. On a hot sunny day its the beer of choice. So I have to give it a higer grade than most macro brews.

2.16/5  rDev -3.1%

I just got back from Mexico and I swear Corona must pour through these tourists veins. The resort had self serve Corona taps next to the self serve soda machines! Naturally I drank the Corona since it was free and hadent had a Corona since I was 17 so thought I would give it a shot.
It poured clear like yellow mexican pee pee with little tiny bubbles. And is that Sulfer or Salt water I smell in the beer? I dunno but hopefully they dident put any of their water in it! It tasted overly carbonated and like a soup made out of salt water, corn, and wheat. Yum Yum! A piece of advice when visiting Mexico. Drink Tequila, Cuban Rum, Absinth, and the real German Jaggermeister with wormwood in it.

2.02/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a light gold tone. No noticable smell, just a hint of grainy light lager.Doesn't taste very good, and it goes down even harder. definitely better withOUT the lime. I suppose if you like the taste its drinkability would be great, but this import is most definiely not woth the extra money. La Cervesa mas fina es asi asi.

3.15/5  rDev +41.3%

Cool refreshing and mexican. Other than that, there isn't much to say. Enjoy it with a lime wedge...everyone else does. Pours light golden yellow. Little head, no retention. Smell plain and pale. The taste is the same, plain. Drink it cold, very cold.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

the appearance wasnt anything to brag about. its a very pale yellow. smell is ok, not a distinct hint of hops or anything. the taste was almost like a perrier or other sparkling waters. mouthfeel was good. drinkability was good, especially in the heat

1.32/5  rDev -40.8%

It was hot and I was thirsty and out of everything else... even juice.

Fizzy and yellow, looks like a lemon soda of sorts.

Smell was non-existant, not even the famous skunk was there so it gets an extra .5.

Taste was like water. Not offensive as there was no flavor to offend with.

Goes down like soda water but took a bit off my thirst.

Served in a clear bottle--is there any other method by which the swill is tossed around?--as the only beer beyond Miller Light post softball last week. The lesser of two evils? Very hard to tell.

Clear piss yellow, no head, no retention, no lacing, minimal to no carbonation within the glass

Skunky lager smell

Yes, serve with several lemons, you will need it. Skunky corny adjunct flavors, and that is about it. I couldn't think of anything I would rather not have while sitting on the beach, no matter what the advertising says. I cringed, people gave me strange looks. Weak, watery, possibly less bodied than lemon tinted tap water. Not drinkable at all.

I had a BBQ a few weeks back and only served fine micros and regional goodies. Several "friends" brought some brews of their own that went unattended. A leftover mixed 12 pack of Bud Light and Corona were amply used to water my flowers periodically. I smile when I do it

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

There must be some truth to the story I heard that bartenders started the trend of putting a wedge of lemon in bottles of Corona in order to deflect customers from the fact that the beer is essentially tasteless. I can't say that Corona tastes bad - that would imply the presence of such a thing as taste - but it is watery as hell and it looks, when in the bottle, a lot like urine. I guess if they were giving it away on a sultry beach in Mexico I would think about drinking it.

1.28/5  rDev -42.6%

I cautiously accepted one of these when tossed to me by a neighbor at a poolside BBQ. I didn't want to offend him. Instead I offended every sense in my body.

Color is pale straw yellow. Can't speak for the head cuz it was not poured into a glass. I imagine it would be small, weak, and laceless.

Aroma is that of a dead Mexican floating in a vat of corn oil with strong skunky nuances.

Flavor is equally foul. Grainy corn and adjunct hell. That is all I can pick out. Thank God for limes!

Body is water-thin with a mouthfeel more akin to diet sprite.

As soon as my neighbor wasn't looking, I dumped this disgusting liquid on the ground and pretended that I drank it. Stay away. Far, far away.

1.87/5  rDev -16.1%

I am sure this beer has its place, but today is not that place. Color is frightening pale. Nose is non-existent (which may not be all that bad). Taste is not much--corn maybe. My favorite part is the half a lime I shoved into the bottle. I like lime. Bit of something else. Mouthfeel is crisp. That is nice. Might be drinkable any other time when I have been working outside.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.