Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Also known as Coronita Extra (small bottles) and Corona Familiar (larger bottles).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,229 | Ratings: 4,862
1.52/5  rDev -32.1%

A: Some one could have urinated in the bottle ad I would not have known. Incredibly pale and clear yellow.

S: Smells like wet grass.

T: Tastes like watered down Miller or Coors. Slightly sweeter with more skunk. No flavors standout.

M: High carbonation.

O: I have no idea why someone would spend the money for something that tastes worse than other adjunct lagers. Clear bottle ruins and little flavor that might have been there.

2.43/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this at a club once so my memory might be affected a little.

A - Typical lager colour, it might be a bit lighter but maybe that's just me. Head was nothing to note, standard for a macro brewing company.

S - Nothing too special here either, just smells like... well... a lager, maybe a little more skunky than the average macro. Not any notes of anything special that I could detect. The smell fine and not anything to get hung up about.

T - Very mild in my opinion, very lacking in flavour. Basically just pseudo-average, I would serve this very cold and down a lot of them since it is incredibly easy to drink. If there is nothing else better around and you wanna get drunk fast... down a few of these.

3.04/5  rDev +35.7%

Well, this is the worst looking beer I have reviewed so far. Too light in the color and just about no head. Smell is rather normal. Nothing too strong or nothing too weak. Taste is nothing much either. Rather lacking in taste, but more tasteful than domestic lights. It goes down with little aftertaste and very easy to drink.

Verdict: cheap non domestic beer that is slightly different than domestics in taste, so drink if you want to down some beers, but are tired of the same-ole-same-ole.

2.18/5  rDev -2.7%

I never knew corona came in 24 oz cans, so went I went to 711 and saw them I had to buy one.

I filled my pilsner glass with the beer. This beer has literally no head. The smell is almost non existent. And the beer tastes like corn and grain. I can't taste any hops at all. It leaves an aftertaste of burnt corn in the mouth. the mouthfeel is creamy at first but quickly turn to feeling like soda water. This beer isn't hard to drink. It goes down easy, but why bother with it if it does not taste good?

Overall I would not recommend this beer. It does not taste good. It is decent with a lime in it, but what good is a beer if you need to add fruit to make it drinkable???

3.23/5  rDev +44.2%

Not as good as sol, but will do in a pinch.

Expecting guests on a hot day that dont appreciate craft beer and will only guzzle it down and complain its kinda funky or not refreshing... Buy this.

Want something to guzzle away the caliente of chile mole or chile verde, drink this.

Fearful of getting montezumas revenge in mexico because both the ice and the glass are washed with the local water, drink this.

Have a beer bread recipe with two cups of flour, one teaspoon of sugar and a can of beer, use this instead (its better)

Making a cajun burgoo and need a beer to put in the rue, use this.

Finished mowing the lawn and want to shotgun two or three brewskis to cool yourself down, slam this.

Need a reason to stop having scurvey, put some lime in this and drink it.

Also does make a good bloody mary chaser.

3.41/5  rDev +52.2%

Skunk is present. The skunk is not too overwhelming. Moosehead is way skunkier. Golden piss yellow. Fruity smell and i get some honey. Well Balanced. Light crisp refreshing. The malts and hops are balanced. Corona is not the best Mexican beer, but i prefer it over Modelo. Tecate, Bohemia, and Carta Blanca are the best Mexican lagers. Cheers!
~JC

2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

By all accounts this beer should be a bad beer. It pours like soda with almost no head that vanishes instantly. The color is something like urine, while the nose reminds me of my high school chemistry lab. By itself the beer tastes like many other macros. It feels nice going down, though, and it's easy to drink. When it's ice cold I am hard-pressed to find a better thirst-quencher than Corona on a hot day other than water. Now back to my first line. By all accounts this should be a bad beer, but...

But...

Stick a wedge of lime or two in it and you've got manna from heaven. I don't understand it. Does anyone else?

3.11/5  rDev +38.8%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

is Corona ever available on draft? doesn't really matter. what a terrible beer. even when I am too drunk to care about what I'm drinking, i'd still pass on a Corona.

2.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure if I consider this a beer; I always just think of it as an iced tea or some other cold beverage (and it really requires a lime to be palatable). I suppose this is a pretty good summertime "beer."

A: Very faint. I don't think I've ever seen this one poured out of the bottle. I know I don't care to. From its taste and mouthfeel, I can't imagine there would be anything intersting to see if poured out.
S: Faint. Slightly skunky, slightly fruity. I don't have much to compare to since I don't drink American Macro Lagers.
T: Very light/pale lager. I think of corn as I'm drinking. Nothing else.
M: Watery, malty, a little fizzy.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

Corona has done one thing right: Promote their product. But that's about it. The inflated price and 'adding a lime' make people feel a step above the regular shelf beers people drink. Unfortunately, this beer is rather boring without a lime, and has almost no scent. Corona is a light beer; Corona Light could be renamed Corona Water, there is just no substance to the beer.

If Corona was the price of Bud Light, I could support it, but I think price is an important consideration; it defines our access to the beer. Corona is overpriced and not worth the price that people have no problem paying.

1.43/5  rDev -36.2%

SKUNK CITY!

My friend Tyson quipped that the reason that the mouth of the bottle is usually adorned with a lime is to cover up the overwhelming skunk flavor. It's as if someone took a dead, rotting skunk on the side of an Alabama highway and twisted out the fluids, bottled it and sold it for like $10 a six-pack. Why the hell does it have a clear bottle? It's been known since the late 1700's to put perishable liquids in dark bottles.

Pouring it out into a clear glass the head was gone in less than one minute. The color was a clear light-yellow. Nothing special.

The smell? Skunk. Mildy sweet, but it didn't seem as if it was barley.

Taste? Skunk. Choking the skunk down was so difficult that dumped most of it down the drain. Skunking aside, the grains aren't anything special, I think they cut it with corn native to Mexico.

Mouthfeel was light and nothing special.

Drinkability? I had to dump it down the drain! That should say it all!

Why bother with this? I have no idea why it is so popular.

2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

The appearance is of dull watered down yellow not to good looking. The smell is of chemical and well just bad in general. The taste is awful with out a lime but that can make up for it. Mouthfeel is fizzy and a bit smooth just the only area that makes it bearable. I can drink these all day on the beach with a lime but out of that context not to great.

I wouldnt recomend this at all try something else.

2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

the appearance wasnt anything to brag about. its a very pale yellow. smell is ok, not a distinct hint of hops or anything. the taste was almost like a perrier or other sparkling waters. mouthfeel was good. drinkability was good, especially in the heat

2.88/5  rDev +28.6%

This is a beer where context is very important! It is the sort of beer you have while enjoying a Mexican meal, surrounded by red, white and green tableclothes, and after a shot or two of tequila to get the evening started right.

I can honestly say that I have no idea how this beer pours, as I have never poured it. I have had it directly out of the bottle every time.

And the scores for mouthfeel and flavour MUST acknowledge the influence of the wedge of lime the beer flowed past on its way to my gullet.

When imbibed in this manner, this is a very acceptable beer indeed.

Does it stand alone? No idea. I am too scared to try! It works as it is.

2.43/5  rDev +8.5%

Bright yellow color, Smell, husky,grainy, and dare I say skunky?! Drank without a lime for 'review purposes', nothing challenging malt upfront just a touch of hops.In my case I drank at a bbq and it was okay with my burger and mac salad. Low alcohol and a relative lack of body makes drinkability high

GC

2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

Apperance - Average, a medium goldish yellow color. Nothing too impressive.

Smell - A little sweet, nothing to write home about.

Taste: Tasted kind of sour, the lime did it a little bit of boost but nothing to add impression.

Mouthfeel- Eh is little different. A little rough but not impressive.

Drinkability - Its good hot summer day beer if you're a college student just hanging out. You have to have the limes though.

1.23/5  rDev -45.1%

I was not going to make this review but I think is good that people has another warning for not to buy this beer.

It is a pale yellow beer, with awful smell, and tastes like a rotten corn.

This is supposed to be the Mexican beer with most sales in the world. Pure publicity.

Commonly, this beer is served on teenage parties, or when there is nothing better than soda.

I think there are people that actually like it, but not me.

1.63/5  rDev -27.2%

Corona is fairly lackluster. It has a corn-ish skunk, a mellow, uninspired taste, and no afterglow worth mentioning. It's got a clean presentation, and the ethanol isn't biting, but a good beer these qualities do not make.

I'm only sure I'm not drinking water in that it's yellow. A cardinal sin. Can we have some flavour, please?

1.81/5  rDev -19.2%

Imported in a clear bottle.

A - Pours a clear pale gold color with a lame white head.

S - Reeks of skunk and ass, I mean grass.

T - Tons of skunk flavor with a side of corn and grains. Finishes rather dry. I really, really wish I had a lime right now. No, it was not actually skunked, that's just how every single Corona truly tastes.

M - Watery yet crisp.

D - I could force down several of these but even as an American Adjunct Lager the taste makes this so damn hard to drink. I don't even think I could play beer pong with this.

Final Thoughts: This shit straight blows. It's expensive shit too.

2.56/5  rDev +14.3%

I don't know why I'm rating this beer. Maybe 'cause I had one the other day at a party when my beer ran out.
A: Golden yellow.
S: Dry, stale.
S: Skunky.
T: Skunky, flat
M: Salty, skunk, water, lemony.
O: Lime???wtf. Come on, you guys. Lemon, really? Is this just to mask this gross beer?

1.91/5  rDev -14.7%

I haven't had this beer for a while but thanks to Trader Joe's surprise pack I was welcomed with one of these!

A-The bottle is pretty cool but the color is a turnoff.

S-Smells like skunk and pee.

T-Tastes like it smells

M-Weak and just gross.

O-This beer is just as bad as I remembered. I would not suggest it. EVER!

4.03/5  rDev +79.9%

Served in a long neck bottle with lime of course. There's no comparison, this beats all other AAL's hands down in look and smell. Taste is above average as well. Mouthfeel is thin, and finish is sweet and skunky. Overall its always an option on a nice spring day.

3.83/5  rDev +71%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It was summer, and I thought i'd splurge and by some corona. Definetly not worth the 15 bucks a 12 pack. This beer is light in color, and well light in taste. It's a good beer no doubt, but not an awesome beer. There was a somewhat skunky aftertaste. Maybe a lime would help with that but i didnt have any.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.