Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,209 | Ratings: 4,761
1.23/5  rDev -44.8%

I was not going to make this review but I think is good that people has another warning for not to buy this beer.

It is a pale yellow beer, with awful smell, and tastes like a rotten corn.

This is supposed to be the Mexican beer with most sales in the world. Pure publicity.

Commonly, this beer is served on teenage parties, or when there is nothing better than soda.

I think there are people that actually like it, but not me.

1.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Corona is fairly lackluster. It has a corn-ish skunk, a mellow, uninspired taste, and no afterglow worth mentioning. It's got a clean presentation, and the ethanol isn't biting, but a good beer these qualities do not make.

I'm only sure I'm not drinking water in that it's yellow. A cardinal sin. Can we have some flavour, please?

1.81/5  rDev -18.8%

Imported in a clear bottle.

A - Pours a clear pale gold color with a lame white head.

S - Reeks of skunk and ass, I mean grass.

T - Tons of skunk flavor with a side of corn and grains. Finishes rather dry. I really, really wish I had a lime right now. No, it was not actually skunked, that's just how every single Corona truly tastes.

M - Watery yet crisp.

D - I could force down several of these but even as an American Adjunct Lager the taste makes this so damn hard to drink. I don't even think I could play beer pong with this.

Final Thoughts: This shit straight blows. It's expensive shit too.

2.56/5  rDev +14.8%

I don't know why I'm rating this beer. Maybe 'cause I had one the other day at a party when my beer ran out.
A: Golden yellow.
S: Dry, stale.
S: Skunky.
T: Skunky, flat
M: Salty, skunk, water, lemony.
O: Lime???wtf. Come on, you guys. Lemon, really? Is this just to mask this gross beer?

1.91/5  rDev -14.3%

I haven't had this beer for a while but thanks to Trader Joe's surprise pack I was welcomed with one of these!

A-The bottle is pretty cool but the color is a turnoff.

S-Smells like skunk and pee.

T-Tastes like it smells

M-Weak and just gross.

O-This beer is just as bad as I remembered. I would not suggest it. EVER!

4.03/5  rDev +80.7%

Served in a long neck bottle with lime of course. There's no comparison, this beats all other AAL's hands down in look and smell. Taste is above average as well. Mouthfeel is thin, and finish is sweet and skunky. Overall its always an option on a nice spring day.

3.83/5  rDev +71.7%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

3.25/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It was summer, and I thought i'd splurge and by some corona. Definetly not worth the 15 bucks a 12 pack. This beer is light in color, and well light in taste. It's a good beer no doubt, but not an awesome beer. There was a somewhat skunky aftertaste. Maybe a lime would help with that but i didnt have any.

1.85/5  rDev -17%

Pale yellow in color. Weak lace.
I dont understand what is so "special" about this beer to some.
Watery, lacking taste.
I will not classify as offensive, but just very unimpressive.
Needs the lime to add a tad of substance, albeit not much.
There are worse out there...

1.71/5  rDev -23.3%

Bought a 24 oz of this stuff because, honestly, I am gonna use the bottle for a batch of hard cider that I have fermenting in the basement at the moment. Of course, the reason clear bottles are perfect for cider is that THERES NO DAMN HOPS IN CIDER! Upon opening the bottle, I was immediately struck by the unmistakable smell of skunkiness. That smell is only reinforced by taking the first bitter, bitter swig. Ugh. Look, it's marginally better than Tecate, but way inferior to Dos XX, Modelo, or Negra Modelo. Steer clear.

3.8/5  rDev +70.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

I hope the previous reponder does not get offeneded by the fact that Mexico is not in South America. Corona is brewed in Mexico and is owed, in part, by the makers of Budweiser.
Corona, in my feeble opinion, is similar to Coors Light. Watery, crackly and thin. The lime gives it a tasty overhang. I use the "RealLime juice squeezey." You can regulate your lime taste. Corona is great on hot days and the clear glass, although it can impair the taste of beer, makes it a handy chug after mowing the grass of after a good session of 'you know what.' The clear glass motto is null because the rate of sale for Corona is so fast the impariment of flavor is not affected, similar to Miller High Life.

2.33/5  rDev +4.5%

So I wanted to review this beer cause it's a hot day in late May in North East Ohio, and I decided to drink a few Coronas on the pourch, and of course with a lime in it.

A- Not impressed at all, it is what I like to call see trough golden yellow, with very little going on, no bubbles in till you add a lime, and it has about an eight inch pearl white head.

S- Other then a slight hint of skunkiness, there is really no smell to it.

T- It is not bad as long as you have s lime, I think you should get a free lime with every six pack you buy, cause I would not drink this beer with out one, but once you drop your lime in it, it is very refreshing especially on a hot summer day, there is a slight skunky after taste, with of course a hint of lime as you would guess, but that's only if you have a lime a available, if you don't, don't waste your time with this beer.

MF- Nothing special or anything to brag about, very light hardly any carbonation.

D- I could drink quite a few of these but only if i'm in the mood for it, and I have a lime to drop in to give this known skunky beer any flavor.

2.25/5  rDev +0.9%

i've only had this 6x before. i picked up a 24oz. to celebrate the fantastic Peugeot Carbolite 103 bike i picked up for $10 the other day at a thrift store.

serving type: bottle (i think this is the only way)
appearance: morning piss. yellow. yummy!
smell: similar to a hefeweizen.
taste: light piss. literally no taste. little malt and finishes slightly bready.
mouthfeel: pretty decent actually. better than the rainier lager i drank before this.
drinkability: i'm not a fan of this beer. it's easy to drink but i feel retarded for buying it since it's promoted everywhere and they have lots of slobs trying to be cool and wearing their logo. and the fact that college kids and girls would really like this makes me not want to buy or drink it. if something bad happened and i wanted some beer to down this would work perfect or if it was real hot and i was bored.

2.41/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: a clear golden yellow with a white head that fades and leaves no lacing as I drink it.

Tastes: a crisp super light beer that drinks easy like water with a little taste of skunked American lager.

Overall: not different from the clear 12oz bottles in my opinion, and I don't know if I would buy this with my own money honestly, but it was a gift from my friend at work who gave it to me as one of his staples from back home. Thanks Jose!!!

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Had the misfortune or opportunity to sample this in cancun, mexico during last year's spring break. At about 20 pesos ($2) for a 1-liter bottle, it was the best value for the money at the local shops. Definitly has a thicker body than corona extra and i enjoyed the taste more than corona extra (which doesnt say much). It has a definite malt sweetness to it. I have yet to see this in america.
Every other bottle i purchased was either labled 6.0 percent alcohol or 4.5 percent alcohol. Only in mexico .... but it was a damn good time.

3.7/5  rDev +65.9%

I like a Corona once in a while. I drink it without the lime as much as with the lime. I am a wild and crazy guy. (Props to the great Steve Martin.)

I think the thing to remember about Corona is that it is meant to be for laid back feelings; to promote a Zenful relaxation, if you will. Therefore, there is an inherent gentleness to Corona that beer extremists would not have an appreciation for. But then, there is truly nothing extreme about Corona whatsoever. It is not meant to overpower the senses; it is meant to lightly caress them. Thus, we believe the viseral qualities that we have come to expect from our usual potables to be left wanting when, in actuality, we are provided with subtle hints of joy.

Perhaps less really is more. That's how I see it anyway.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

1.53/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I think the commercials on TV are all this beer has going for it. The lime was of better quality than the beer. I would rather of had bottled water for refreshment, a coke for taste. This was they absolute worst beer I've had...PBR is better. Corona means "crown"...I'd say they earned the crown of skunk beer.

4.66/5  rDev +109%

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to make of this beer before I tried it. A friend of mine told me that I should try it so I did. This is one of my favorite beers that I have tried. The smell of a Corona is unpleasant and skunky at first, but the taste is great. The appearance is a yellowish color and looks very good at first sight.Some people say adding a lime wedge to your Corona will make it taste even better. I recommend this beer to anyone.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Don’t let this beer fool you with its appealing bottle and golden colour, because it’s just another adjunct. I don’t know if it’s cheaper in its native Mexico, but where I purchased it was double the price than any other beer, and not any better. It has a famous name and a nice bottle, and not much else.

This is an awful beer. Don’t buy it.

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

I have had a number of these beers in my less informed days. Yet I have never had one in a glass. I have had them in the bottle with a lime and even in a can with a lime. It is a light golden color with little aroma. Its nothing really special tasting either like most mass produced beers. But I’m here to say that given the right situation this is a beer that I could drink. Going out to a Mexican restaurant to eat you almost have to have a corona. Or on the beach a corona is not a bad choice but other then a few situations I would suggest to pass. Must have a lime to drink it. Do not attempt it with out the lime.

2.93/5  rDev +31.4%

Something about drinking Corona and eating spicy grilled food!

A- Very light yellow. Not impressive at all.

S- A skunky smell by itself. (no wonder a lime down it’s neck is recommended.)

T- Without the lime not very nice. With the lime, much , much better!

M- Very light not full or filling. Refreshing.

D- Drinkability is good. I can easily put a few of these back while I eat spicy grilled food.

I would recommend this beer only with the lime and do not pour it in a glass! It needs to filter through the lime as it does in the bottle.

4.01/5  rDev +79.8%

A: Yellow corny, with a white head

S: I like this beer, BUT NOT for the smell, very skunk to weedy smell

T: this beer is a crisp corn & lite hoppy good with or without lime or limon

M: fizzy combination

D: YES on a cold or hot day (especially)... the beer does taste rather bad when hot almost undrinkable, so Ice cold is the way to go. The Party beer IMO

1.2/5  rDev -46.2%

A: Looks like liquid waste. Very pale yellow-white

S: Nothing there, smells like water (or a light tea)

T: Tastes like a low budget beer flavored water.

M: None. About as thick as water.

D: Refreshing, and drinkable... not enjoyable.

Overall: Drinkable... but that is it. This is another beer in which it would be more enjoyable (and cheaper) just to go with water.

2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

The quintessential beach beer. We have quite a few beaches in Minnesota, but you are far better off drinking Summit or Grainbelt up in the North Woods. Don't bring this week shit up around me. The one thing I will say is that I was a little surprised at the abundance of malt I felt... still crappy though

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw yellow pale color with medium head formation and little lace retention. Aromas with minimal presence of malts and little hops, very much bitter in smell notes. Tastes of little malts with bitterness. Finishes dry and with the lime in the bottle and the beach can be a decent avergae macro beer.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.