Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

awful
awful
Read the review
Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,204 | Ratings: 4,738
1.73/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall soapy bright white head that quickly reduces to nothing but a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: Aromas of skunk with a slight hint of adjunct malts - corn and grain.

T: There is a moderate flavor of sweet corn and grain adjuntc malts and very little bitterness. Also, slightly metallic but not sure why since it came form a glass bottle into a glass.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: This is a pretty poor beer in my opinion and I understand why every other time I have had one served to me, I had it with a lime - you need something to change the flavor on this beer. Not one I will be having again anytime soon.

2.05/5  rDev -8.1%

Drank this in honor of a friend who passed away. It was the only beer he would drink.

A: Light, clear yellow in color. Small white head that is gone in an instant and left no lacing.

S: Not much going on. Some corn and other adjunct aromas, some graininess. Light skunkiness as well.

T: Pretty boring and watery. Typical macro/adjunct taste. Had this one without a lime, but it needs it. Slightly sweet malts and some corn. No hops at all.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Crisp, but not really refreshing.

O: Not what I want to be drinking..ever really. I know I will have it again, but it will likely be due lack of other options at a party or BBQ.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

From 07/02/11 notes.

a - Pours a clear pale straw yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of light sour notes, corn, grain, and light vegetables. Not very good.

t - Tastes like the nose; just some light corn and vegetables, with like sour/skunkiness in the end. Not very enjoyable.

m - Light watery body and high carbonation evident. Too carbonated.

o - Overall not a very good beer, but slightly better than Landshark. It's never a good sign when people need to add a lime to your beer to make it taste better. Not something to seek out; go for Negra Modelo.

1.85/5  rDev -17%

Well, I was once told that this beer had it's particular time and place. I am guessing that this person is referring to being in Mexico, or on any beach partying. However, while in Ensenada this summer this beer was no where to be seen. You had to specially ask for this beer, and it wasn't on billboards or the television commercials. No the marketing is for those Americans just show them the picture with the lime wedged in the bottle, then we'll see some response from them. Yep, that is basically what happened this beer became popularized with commercials not with a good taste. So, as I pour this beer in WV during early January, I almost know it is a mistake. However, I am giving it a shot. When i poured this golden (as in color of piss) it fizzled like a can of soda, and the head was gone by the time I looked at the screen and back down to my pint glass. At first scent it seems very unpleasant, but when I taste it, this beer contains relatively no flavors. It does have a mild citrusy sweetness, but there is really nothing here. For being so big with the average beer drinker, I wasn't expecting much here. This beer is not one that I plan to drink ever again.

2.22/5  rDev -0.4%

Um, yeah I've had a few of these before...This was my daily quaff on my honeymoon many years ago, and I still order a bottle or two occasionally when dining at Mexican restaurants.

The beer is clear and golden colored with a half inch of white head. A good looking adjunct lager.

The aroma is a bit skunky, and I highly recommend the addition of salt and lime to mask / enhance the aroma and flavor.

The flavor is simple and straightforward. Adjuncts, grain, corn, the usual suspects. Again, do yourself a favor and add the traditional salt and lime.

The feel is thin and watery. Good for summertime and/or pairing with spicy Mexican food.

2.02/5  rDev -9.4%

Corona comes in a CAN!?! Who knew? Not me, until recently.

The pour created a bone-white head that was reducing even as I was pouring. The NE-plus quality clarity in this pale-yellow beer was startling. They must have filtered the living Hades out of this beer before packaging it. The nose was light, a little on the sweet side, but not offensive. Mouthfeel was thin with a sweet, honey-like lager taste on the tongue. Finish had a mild sweetness, but nothing really jumped out. I can see why so many people add citrus fruit to this - it is pretty flavorless. Certainly, I've had better, but I've also had worse. Much worse. I can't really see returning to it, though. Maybe on draft or in bottle, just as a try anything once scenario, but no more cans of Corona Extra for the Woodman.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes I found on my phone from over a year ago. I think my brother is to blame for this...12oz clear glass bottle poured into a tired hands oversized wine glass because i'm THAT guy. It appears a perfectly clear straw yellow color with a white finger that is quick to fade.

The smell is skunky initially right out the gate despite being held in a fridge and not exposed to any light. It has a corny grain sweetness to the nose and a hint of sulfur. It doesnt smell that good but it is on par with the style I guess.

The taste is sweet like corn. Sulfur and a bit skunky. A very minor herbal aspect. Some faint indistinguishable hop bitterness balances things out with a touch of something almost like bubblegum.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. The skunky aspect made this different from the usual macro adjunct. I think I did a great disservice to this brew by pouring it into a glass. Had I shoved a lime down the bottle neck and chugged it, it would have been 'enjoyed' slightly more.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

7 oz. bottle:
Poured pale yellow (just as seen through clear bottle). A thin wisp of a lace was present despite the high carbonation.
It smelled mildly of chemical-like sulfur and a touch of skunk.
It tasted like water with some odd chemical-like substance mixed in.
It left a metallic-like taste, but the water and carbonation allowed it to go down.
I tried this with lime in it a while back - not my thing, adding fruit to beer...A guest brought over nips, and I wanted to see if it could stand alone. If you drink this, which I do not recommend - put limes in it (I don't like adding fruit - but this needs it)...better yet - just avoid it.

I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides. I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...
appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?). Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.
Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.)

3.21/5  rDev +43.9%

1C
Pours a light golden color with a smallish white head that quickly dissipates. Aromas of light sweet fruity and grainy malt with hints of floral hops to counter. The taste is sweet with honey and fruit. Light bready grainy flavor with a sharp spicy hop flavor with a low to moderate level of hop bitterness. Light to medium light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a slick sharp crisp mouthfeel. Nice grainy bready aroma, this actually tastes pretty decent without a lime stuffed into it.

1.81/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours pure gold with soapy head that fizzes and quickly fades to nothing. Smells musty with a ton of grains. The taste is sweet, almost apple-like, at first, but then very grainy with a lot of corn in the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and light.

I recommend drinking this freezing cold with a lime.

2.14/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

2.68/5  rDev +20.2%

Light yellow and clear. Bottle clear with engraved label, Mexican symbols and stuff. Corn in the nose, medium bubble head, which fades quickly. Minimal flavor, no hops noticable. We all have tried and probably had our thirsts quenched by this stuff. Its better then Bud/Miller/Fosters etc. Crisp and refreshing. good on the beach or on a very warm day.

2.76/5  rDev +23.8%

Corona as in most Mexican beers taste best in the summer with a lime...however, judging Corona solomente...its just another no frills cerveza! The beer poors golden clear with good carbonation that give a white foamy head for a brief time. The smell and taste are enhanced with grain. The hops help somewhat with the taste so that it is not bread water. Mouthfeel is easy especially on hot days...enjoy!

2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Crystal clear straw yellow. Vigorous pour into a tulip glass (hey, why not, right? lol) built a 2 finger head that quickly dissolved into a thin sheet of micro-bubbles.

S - Light waxy bitterness, hay, hint of white bread.

T - Opens with touch of white bread followed quickly by a mild, waxy bitterness. Finish is water and slightly sour.

M - Super thin body. Decent carbonation. Aftertaste carries some sourness along with some mild bitterness in the back of your palate.

D - Very light, fairly refreshing. Some beers are made to be focused on as you drink them, others are made to help you forget you have a beer in your hand. This is the later.

3.3/5  rDev +48%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed in September 2004 from a 12oz bottle. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but this beer isn't that bad. But, it only serves one purpose. When you are dying of thirst on a beach, this is a good one to grab. It's not a pretty pour, it doesn't smell like anything special, but it's a decent beer when you want a quick one and there isn't anything else around but bud/miller/coors. At least this one has a bit more taste. Don't understand why it's so expensive though. I always have a 12pk on hand for when I am moving the lawn of doing something outside.

2.68/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was really expecting this to be a horrible beer based on other reviews and the opinions of most on this site. Actually, Extra wasn't too bad for me, just mediocre. The appearance isn't too bad, better than some similiar macros, but still not too impressive. Smell was a little skanky, but not overly bothersome. Taste was fairly smooth, not complex, but not bad. I wouldn't praise the beer for it's taste, but it compared decently to american macros. The most positive thing I have to say about Extra is that it is easy to drink and that I could easily session it. Overall, Corona Extra is mediocre, I think it would work good as a thirst quencher type beer. Also, a lime spruced up the flavor a little bit.

2.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in its proper glassware, the bottle, with a wedge of lime. Normally I´d eschew the beer in the bottle and fruit thing. But as far as I can tell this is the proper serving technique. There´s still that cheap, grainy flavor, but the fruit helps make this drinkable and not an unpleasant experience. Try this once and call it a cultural experience.

3.44/5  rDev +54.3%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a spotty lace head. The smell is weak, but pleasant. There is a faint odor of pale malts. The taste is watery and ordinary. It has that Mexican beer taste to it. I'm not exactly sure how that's acheived. It is a low bodied beer that is easy to drink, just not too enjoyable. As far as commercial imports are concerned; this is one of the better ones.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water.

3.02/5  rDev +35.4%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight pale malt, hint of hop, and adjunct. Fits the style of an American Adjunct Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight sweet malt, pale malt, slight hop, and adjunct. Overall, weak appearance, aroma, and body, but decent mouth feel, and blend.

1.75/5  rDev -21.5%

Appearance: pours a very light yellow color with a short 1/4" white head that breaks apart immediately. No lime in the pint glass.

Smell: no aroma other than some funky sweetness.

Taste: taste profile is very weak as only some corn and mild sweetness can be detected. Any bitterness is weak and barely detectable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Light in body. Clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: this is just an awful beer with no flavor. The lime must provide some flavoring to make this drinkable. I had this for beer for fun during a holiday get together, and just couldn't finish it. I was also frowned upon for asking for a glass and no lime. Ugh.

1.68/5  rDev -24.7%

Not much can be said about Corona that hasn't been said before. The beer looks about like piss and I imagine piss would taste better. There just isn't much of anything to the beer. No smell. No flavor. If you put enough limes into the beer you can get it to be almost drinkable.

The canned version of Corona was bland enough, but the bottled version has the potential to wreck havoc to my tastebuds thanks to its skunk promoting bottle. Again, I poured the sample into a glass without lime. All I gotta say is the bottle isn't any better. It isn't "spit-out" bad, there's just little there. Skunked spicy hops seem to take on the most flavor in the beer, which is almost like a light beer.

Conclusion: stay off the bandwagon and spend your money on something better.

2.03/5  rDev -9%

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.