Corona Light | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light
1.96/5
Awful
Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

View: Beers
firstprev| 1976-2000 | 2001-2025 | 2026-2050  | next → last
Ratings: 2,050 |  Reviews: 410
1.33/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottle. As much as I had heard about this beer I was absolutely not impressed with it at all. I am not sure what all the hype is when it comes to this beer. It had an aftertaste to it that I did not enjoy and it definitely lingered for quite some time. It was watery and fizzy. For me, this definitely was not an enjoyable drink.

1.19/5  rDev -39.3%

How can they have a Corona LIGHT? Isn't Corono Extra weak enough. I think they used sewer water from Mexico to make this beer. Has a corn smell and taste to it. Sick! A lime definitely needs to be added to mask these horrible flavors. It still doesn't taste tolerable, even with the lime. Life is too short to drink crap like this.

1.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is one beer that makes Corona Extra seems almost acceptable. Corona Light is brewed in Mexico exclusively for the American market, the thought of which just makes me shake my head. This is in no way a good beer, and I can find little to say about it in a positive manner.

Corona Light pours a light gold color with a very thin foam head (less than a pinky's worth), which fizzes out into oblivion. The smell had maybe a hint of skunk in it, but skunky or not this stuff still smells bad. An unclean musty/swampy adjunct smell is here in full force with some corn noticeable. The mouthfeel is similar to Corona Extra: very fizzy and seltzer-like. The initial taste is slightly sweet with mild corn/adjunct flavors with some of the aforementioned mustiness being in the flavor. Very watery and near flavorless elsewhere on the palette. A wet paper taste makes its way through in an unpleasant fashion. Some mild hop bitterness in the finish. The paper taste seems to give the beer a further harsh and astringent bitterness. The aftertaste is weak with just a mild continuation of the foul bitterness and some corn. This beer has no alcoholic warmth, but after two of these (yes I managed to drink two: one with and one without lime) I had a slight headache. For such a weak beer, I would have to lay the blame on some impurities in this beer or maybe just the general nastiness of it.

The lime makes this beer slightly more drinkable, but it does less for this beer than it does Corona Extra, for some reason. It's scary that this beer can make Extra look somewhat good. All I can say is: stay away.

1.55/5  rDev -20.9%

corona light. LIGHT? is this really necessary? is corona extra really too heavy a beer? this is beer is honestly the closest thing that i have tasted to water that is not the actual thing. pours an ever so light piss yellow. no head. no smell. no real flavour unless you dump a lime in there. sadly, because there are no real characteristics to this brew, the drinkability rating goes up as it truly is like drinking water.

1.6/5  rDev -18.4%

Well, I have to say that I have never really been impressed with Mexican beers. There are a couple that are "okay", but this one doesn't even make that list.

Served in a clear glass 12 oz. bottle, this beer pours light piss yellow in color. Smells like a skunked beer. Taste like a skunked beer. Hum, must be a skunked beer. I don't like and don't really want to have. I wish my girlfriend didn't like it.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First off let me state that I did not buy this beer. A friend of mine who is in college came down with some friends of his who had a twelve pack of this uh "beer". They left one in the fridge which remained pushed in the back until one evening we figured "what the hell" let's review it-damned sure noone is going to drink it otherwise. What a mistake. It pours a clear light yellow with a bubbly quickly dissipating head. The smell is sort of spicy and sickenly sweet. The taste is a slight sweetness fading to a brief soapy bitterness. This beer actually has very little flavor but what flavor there is isn't good. Absolutely frightening to me what marketing can accomplish in this country-for God's sake there are some good micros available at this same price.
I would have rated this lower but there is a beer I have had that is actually worse but I paid half as much for it as this costs.

1.88/5  rDev -4.1%

This product is just not acceptable..from the first pour the only thing that greets you is the skunky odour pulsating from a light golden, headless and very thin body. If apple juice was carbonated, this would be it except the aj would taste better.
The taste of this corona light is just plain flat.
The only thing I like about this review is the glass that I am drinking it out of.

1.65/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a pale golden color with minimal head. Soon after the pour, there is no visible signs of carbonation outide of the few rather large bubbles on the bottom of the glass. The aroma is a bit of corn with a wisp of alcohol and some fresh-mown grass notes. The taste is light and grainy, with a touch of salt. Finish is a hint of bitterness inside a metallic note. The aftertatse is almost non-existent. the mouthfeel is very thin and watery, yet hearsh from the large bubbles of carbonation. The drinkability is poor, as it doesn't taste great and it is pretty harsh on the tongue. Uh, thanks for this one Bill.

1.25/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a clear straw golden color with a small white head that quickly and utterly vanishes, no lace to speak of, lots of spritzy carbonation. Aroma of sweet corn as well as some skunkiness, no doubt due to the clear glass bottle. Taste begins with sharp, stinging carbonation of the sort found in seltzer water, followed by weak sour malt, finishes very dry and with a metallic hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is coarse and somewhat harsh. This is not a beer that I plan on having again. Caveat emptor.

I tried this with hesitation, and after tasting it, the hesitation was justified. Poured like yellow water. The taste is watered down and weak. What taste is there is just bad. There is a lingering aftertaste. I won't touch this again even if it's free.

What's worse than a corona? Corona light. When I first saw this around a few years ago I couldn't believe it. How does one water down a corona more? A better question would be: why? If you don't load up this beer with limes, you won't be able to drink it. I certainly was not.

1.45/5  rDev -26%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

A clear, light yellow light lager with a small, bubbly, quickly dissipating head. The smell has a slight sweetness to it. The smell somehow reminds me of something from my childhood, I can't quite place it though. The taste is slightly sweet with a sour/bitter finish. Overall, I've had worse...not much though.

I am repeatedly surprised at the price of this beer (in my opinion overpriced) and that people pay it. Somehow the marketing of this beer and its non-light version has been quite successful at portraying an image. As for the lime, its purpose (other than keeping flies out of your beer), in my opinion is to either add a decent flavor or cover-up a bad one, I haven't quite decided which one...maybe its both. Incidently, I had my Corona Light sans lime.

(source: A friend of a friend left at our house.)

1.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, bright, straw/golden color with very little patches of white lace. On the nose the aroma of light sweetness and grain. On the palate the flavors consisted of light grainy husky flavors, light mild bitterness and on a good note it was crisp and quenches your thirst. Light bodied and mouthfeel is dry and slightly tingly. Really just not interesting at all, and usually skunked. This was sadly a left-over in my fridge that someone had brought over.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Truly awful. The Corona Extra was bad enough, but to water it down even further?? Yuck! My wife likes these better than Corona Extra so I actually have to buy them. Skunky smell, no taste, feels like soda water in my mouth. Just plain not drinkable for me.

I ordered Corona Extra beer in a Mexican restaurant. When i tasted it i told the waiter that a mistake has been made and that i din't ask for tequilla but Corona Beer.

A month ago i saw Corona light and knowing that the "light" beers are always worst than the "original" beers i hesitated to taste it. Finally when i tasted it i was quite satisfied due to the fact that now i'll know what beer to vote for the "worst beer in the world" title.

1.1/5  rDev -43.9%

I now have the rather unpleasant distinction of having tried every beer in the "Corona" family, and my life is not really the better for it. This is easily the worst of the bunch, and you could not squeeze enough limes in the bottle to get me to try it again. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities in this beer (and I use the term lightly). The only positive thing I could possibly say about Corona Light is that it is not Bud Light.

2.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Corona Light pours a nice clean amber from a 12oz clear glass bottle with a yellow and white painted label with dark blue letters. Head went to one finger but did not stay around long at all, in any form.

Nose has a bit of damp sulfur, but nothing else. Palate is a dry astringent with the carbonation bite and a bit of sulfur.

If not for the sulfur, this beer would have little else in the way of taste to offer anyone.

2.05/5  rDev +4.6%

As everyone else has mentioned, watered down is the flavor. Very light golden color, hinting at no flavor. The carbonation is of the forced air variety, not true carbonation. The lime is a necessity. The corona extra has much more flavor.

1.49/5  rDev -24%

What is the point of this beer? Corona Light is a watered down version of a watered down beer. Even a "diluted" brew like this one still has that god-awful smell of stank water and garbage so commonly found with Corona. You need a lime to even consider drinking it... light or extra.

Just avoid Corona at all costs, move on to any number of better beers.

1.62/5  rDev -17.3%

This beer is just water that looks like beer. Very faint flavors of corn graininess. Moderate carbonation. I guess it's better than drinking the water in mexico. Does go down smoothly though. If it was 100 degrees and I was stupid enough to drink an alcoholic beverage, I would consider this. Only slightly drinkable because of its similarity to water.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

As close to non-beer or water as possible. You'd be better off drinking a hay-water mix to get your hay fever rockin. This beer did absolutely nothing for me. Since I like water, but love beer, I generously rate this concoction a 1.5...

What kind of anorexic, psychopath thought up this beer? Why would a beer that is so lacking in body, taste, and quality put out a LIGHT beer: the original beer is a light beer. This “beer” is an insult to water, and a waste of corn. Terrible, twice terrible. Hell, you have to add a lime to it just to make it awful; “as with all in this line of” panther piss. If you catch me with one of these again, please take me out of my misery: maybe a fan of this beer can make me a lethal cocktail of Henie and Lowenbrau.

2.2/5  rDev +12.2%

Corna Light is almost the same as Corona Extra. It's easy to drink but forgettable, only worse because it's more watered down.

1.96/5  rDev 0%

The exceptional smell is, of course, polecat. Go ahead, pop an ice cold Corona Light. Take a whiff. Now go look in the road for Pepe LePew's still-twitching remains. Sorry - better look in the bottle. Thar's a skonk in the corn patch yonder, paw... Starts out grainy and sweet, with no hops apparent. Very little flavor outside of sweet grain that dries out slightly in the finish. I think people put a lime in to differentiate it from cooled-off water that was used to boil corn.

My ex-boss' yuppie wife brings this to parties, stuffs a lime wedge in its neck, and sings its praises 'til the end of the earth. That's fine - saves me the cost of hiring a clown to entertain the kids. At least she has the courtesy to finish the damned things up before she leaves.

1.28/5  rDev -34.7%

I am thoroughly convinced that this is one of the worst tasting beers that you can buy. Smells skunked (what a surprise!). Tastes skunked and isn't really even palatable. Any beer that needs a lime to mask the flavor is seriously struggling. I would rather drink just about anything than drink this.

firstprev| 1976-2000 | 2001-2025 | 2026-2050  | next → last
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 1.96 out of 5 with 2,050 ratings