Corona Light | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Read the review
Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Reviews: 385 | Ratings: 1,940
1.73/5  rDev -6%

Consumed in October 2004 in Cancun, Mexico from a bottle. Blech!!! I tried two of these just to make sure the first wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Poured a light straw yellow with no head or straw. At first it tasted like regular Corona. But after the taste settled in...UGH! Drank it quickly and had another just to make sure my taste buds were responding properly. Same deal. Maybe a paint thinner taste too it? Pretty watery too. Tough to finish. Geez, am I glad I couldn't find Tecate Light.

1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

I sat down on a hot summer day with a sandwich and a Corona Light that got left at my house after a party, and was extremely dissapointed. I'm adding the disclaimer that someone else left it at my house because I soon found out that everything about this beer sucks. After experiencing it, I'd definatly say that I'd be embarresed to be seen buying it at the neighborhood store.

The appearance and smell are way below average and they leave nothing to look forward to. The beer was a sickly light yellow color and had little to no head. And as for the taste, I cannot stress how bad this beer really is. This beer is totally undrinkable, and its badness blows away even the likes of Bud Light, Natty Ice, and Coors Light. The bitterness and awful taste slaps you in the face and never looks back. It is totally undrinkable. After a few sips of what I thought would be a refreshing addition to my meal, I ended up pouring the rest of it down the sink.

My recommendation: Don't drink this beer unless you're smashed and probably won't rememeber doing so in the morning. It is totally incomprehensible to me that people are throwing down 12-13 bucks for a 12 pack of these urine bottles.

Bottle: Poured what must be the lightest yellow corn lager in the world without any head and a strong skunky aroma. Wow, truly one of the worst beer I had the misfortune of drinking and let me tell you that I had my fair share of bad experience. No much more that I can say about this…

Holy %$#@*!!! I had just suffered through a Silver Bullet at a low budget party and thought the only thing worse was a Mick Ultra. When the bullets were gone the Corona Light was unleashed. Dear God! No wonder the Mexicans are flocking to America. Can anyone tell me what the hell is in those bottles. Carbonated urine? No quality control at the Corona brewery. That's because there's no quality anything in a Corona Light to begin with. There is no hint of beer at all. It just tastes like fizzy polluted water. And why Light? A regular Corona already tastes like piss. This is one really shitty brew that doesn't even deserve this review. It's awful.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Somehow, I can handle this beer. I'll never use my own money on it but some friends seem to have it as their only option on a regular basis. It doesn't have much of anything to it. It doesn't taste horrible but it is way too watered down, which is probably good. If someone offers it to you, it won't make you retch like a Coors or something, but it won't satisfy much, either.

1.55/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: Pale yellow; no head or lacing

Smell: Smells like composting vegetables

Taste: No malts or hops discernable; just a medicinal bitterness

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery; a bit of carbonation

Drinkability: It will be a long time before I have another; its been a long time since I've had one and I was just curious to see how it stacks up.

My first 1.0 beer. I use the term beer loosely because other than the bottle, this bears no relationship to beer, even regular Corona. If you put a lime in it, you have lime water. Otherwise, there is no discernible beer aroma or taste. It isn't water though either, which you might want to drink on a hot day. This is just weak, adulterated water with some hint of an off taste that is not good. I drank this so as not to insult a friend. Never, ever again.

1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

This is the most tasteless beer I have ever tasted. It poured a light yellow. It is impossible to articulate what it tasted or smelled like, because neither of these qualities was present. I will never buy this beer, because for the same price, I could purchase a pretty good beer like a SNPA or one of the good micro-brewed beers of New England.

1.12/5  rDev -39.1%

Pale pale yellow with sizzling carbonation that amounts to no head or lacing. Small vegetal citrus aroma is so faint that I accidentally stuck my nose in the beer trying to smell something. A taste starts with a harsh bite of carbonation, a garbage tea runs thinly over the tongue, quickly turning astringent and finishing with an empty sugar-substitute type sweetness. Actually painful to drink because of its harshness and horrible finish. It is beers like this that give beer a bad name. Shame, shame.

1.63/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

At a family gathering a case of this was in the midst of a barbecue. While I happily quaffed an excellent Otter Creek Vermont Lager, I placed it down on a table next to an eerily similar beer. Tending to the pork on the grill, I later returned to the table and decided to give this lager-ish impostor a whirl.

Looks wise I could have thought I was grabbing my Vermont Lager, though the gold was a bit duller, the carbonation more infrequent, and the head almost non-existent. Up to my nose and I gag - putrid scents of rotting flowers, cardboard, and some other things that just ain't right. Taste-wise it had no malt to speak of, and I don't understand what kind of hops they were employing. Old, skunked weeds pulled from the trash field behind the brewery?

Now it was drinkable enough for a cheap lager, but stood up as a lesson in contrast. Does the "Light" mean you're light in the head or in the wallet to buy this stuff? I could list a couple of similar-priced macro-brewed beers better than this rancid tap water.

1.47/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Every time I drink this stuff I swear it will be the last time. To say it is bad is an understatement. this beer tastes like watered down urine. With no disrespect to Mexico, they say don't drink the water there, this beer is brewed there, do you think they import bottled water to brew? the alcohol content is the only think keeping people from dying from food poisoning.

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

Okay...so Corona decided that they needed a "light" version of their already crappy beer. I'm not sure whats going on in the world today...but anyways, about the beer...

It has vague scents and tastes of cereal grains and it feels like you're drinking a cactus.

It's more like what happens when a mexican drinks a fifth of cheap tequila and pisses in a bottle. There you have it. I have unlocked the secret to how Corona and Corona Light is made.

1.11/5  rDev -39.7%

My sister-in-law bestowed four of these 12oz clear *oh no* bottled brews upon me yesterday. She'd had a couple the night before with a lime wedge *cringe/wince* but couldn't take the others on the plane with her so I was the "winner".
I got home and decided to get it over with quick. Pull down a handy pint glass, pop the cap and pour. While the pissy yellow fluid hits my glass and a modest bright white head briefly flares and dies, I'm rewarded with the sharp, nostril-tweaking aroma of skunk. Under the skunkiness was a mild grainy malt aroma and a corn cereal smell. Combined, the three predominant aromas were wholly unappealing.
The taste was, to be blunt, flavorless. A minor, barely-there taste of corn and, "poof" it was done. Hops = zero. This "beer" had all the taste of water. No wonder my sis-in-law threw in a lime wedge! The feel was light, fizzy and had some of the same characteristics as seltzer water.
My wife had one too. She looked at me and wordlessly dumped hers down the drain. Mine quickly joined its mate. Corona Light is an unmitigated drain pour, pure and simple. If anyone ever sees me putting one to my lips again, wake me up. If I'm awake, you have my permission to belt my upside my head for my transgression.

1.76/5  rDev -4.3%

...liver-yellow water infused with a tea bag's-worth of toasted grain.
...watery with grip on the quick finish.
...barely discernable in the midst of rushes of water flavor are notes of steamed spinach, cream of wheat and beet sugar.
...for sheer bland neutrality it's a hit!

2.89/5  rDev +57.1%

Wow, this is not that bad for what it is. The colour is "piss-yellow" and if you pour this stuff into a glass (not recommended) the head is a light white colour that dies super fast. The aromas are of corn pops, stale lightly bready malts, and slight citrius-like hops. The taste is not that bad, especially when you add the "lime" into the bottle. Actually this beer is so flavorless, and water-like, that 5 or 6 limes are needed to get the job done. The taste is of slightly sweet lime water, with a hint of lightly grainy malts and citrus-like hops in the background. The mouthfeel is watery, so if it is a hot day out, and you are sweating, this stuff may rehydrate you. The drinkability is definately good as far as these flavorless light beers go, and even though I am not a big fan of this style of beer, this is a good example of the style, as it is a very light lager, with little flavor, that you can quaff for extended periods of time...

This beer is like a bad dream, more expensive than Guinness and tastes worse than a bottle of warm piss. There can be no justification for drinking this crap. If you want a watered down beer, grab a Coors Light for half the price. If you want to spend $14+ on a twelve pack, grab some Sam Adams. If you need to stick a lime in your bottle to enjoy beer, hike up your panties and go grab a coke. And lastly, if for some reason unbeknownst to normal people you like drinking crappy, piss beer, at least drink crappy, AMERICAN piss beer. Go grab a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best for $9.49, that's the American way.

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Easter, see my friend's nephew come walking in with a six pack of Mackeson Stout. Pretty cool. Upon handing it over, I see that it is a six pack of corona light. Seems that someone gave him this six pack and he just waited to be able to pass it off on someone, which was me. Put it in the fridge figuring one of my Bud luving friends would drink it. Fast forward two nights later, eating chips/salsa, figured that a Double Bastard would not go to good with the salsa, I popped a CL. How bad it could it be I thought. I drank warm Utica Clubs after two nights with the Grateful Dead, this can't be that bad. Man was I wrong. This stuff is the worst. Words can't explain how bad this is. Two sips and it was tossed.

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer, in my humble opinion, is hot garbage. Pours a piss yellow, almost indistinguishable from water, with an extremely light, quick disappearing head. Smell is of skunked beer. In regards to taste, where is the beer? Tastes like water. No hops taste, extremely light, almost non existent malt. Garbage.

1.86/5  rDev +1.1%

ok so yea, i drank some of this at a party. i know i know, blasphemy, but whatever, no matter how high my beer ego is, i will never deny a free beer, no matter how bad it is. this shit pours out pale yellow, clear and crappy with a bad head. smells of cheapness...skunky and corny. in the mouth it is thin, but crisp and when ice cold it is somewhat refreshing. on the tastebuds? corny. ive never had a beer with such a huge corn flavor. like drinking corn flakes. no hops at all so basically your in for a watered down one dimensional corn show. drinkable? yes, in the way that water or something underwhelming and flavorless is drinkable. just dont think of it as a beer, but more a less a palate cleanser.

1.26/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a fair clear yellow, looks like a corona.

Smell is skunk and grain, Clear bottles suck.

Taste is skunk seltzer water. It isn’t quite as bad as Michelob Ultra however.

Mouthfeel is carbonated water.

Not drinkable by a longshot, a definite pour and brush my teeth beer.

1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

I've been avoiding this beer for years . . . but I was in the hottub, and this was what was in the cooler. Bottled in a clear bottle, so that you can appreciate how nearly colorless this beer is. Aroma and flavor - corn malt and skunk. Adding a wedge of lime resulted in limey skunk, perhaps a slight improvement. Momma always said "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." So here goes: it makes regular Corona look good.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

This is hands down the worst beer I have ever laid my hands on. Almost pours watery with hints of yellow. Is this water mixed with lime, no that would be to good. The smell is of slight skunk and nothing else present. Taste is downright awful, water is better than this, and water is flavorless. Feels of course dull and flat in the mouth. Drinkable if you like water, but even then just drink water. How this is even on the market is amazing to me, Corona is ten times better than the light version, but that in itself isn't to impressive as Corona is below average as well.

1.67/5  rDev -9.2%

Well, what's to say?

Headless, odourless, tasteless.

No. That's not quite right. That would be water and it's good.

Not actively horrible, but not much point to it either. How the heck did I end up drinking this anyway? Be careful who you hang out with, I guess.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

This is a joke. Had one of these a few weeks ago just to prove a point to someone. This is by far the lamest excuse for beer I have ever had in my life. Regular Corona is a joke in itself, but this is not even right. Ths beer has nothing to speak of...NOTHING. No flavor, no color, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. $25 per case for this? I'll piss in your cup for free, and you may taste some actual beer in that. Do not drink this ever.

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

Had the unfortunate displeasure of sampling this one the other day, wow this is gross!
It has more or less the same quality of corona extra, but with a definite hole in the flavor like the forgot one thing. Not like most lite beers witch taste like watered down versions of themselves. this beer was definitely missing some key thing what was it I cant really put my finger on it maybe I will never know!!

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.