Corona Light | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light
1.95/5
Awful
Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,022 |  Reviews: 405

2.87/5  rDev +47.2%

Notes: Poured into a pilsner glass to see how 'light' this beer really is. Actually, if I *had* to drink Light beers this one would probably be my go-to beer over all others... well... I could probably tolerate a Heineken or Amstel Light as well, but this one, taking into consideration it's marketing purpose for refreshment, does what it is supposed to do. There wasn't any 'born-on' date but the one I tried seemed fairly fresh. I'm certain the turnover rate on these is quite steady given the average consumer pool of beer drinkers, which I must say, is significantly improving!

Appearance - Very, very pale yellow color, heavy carbonation, with a minimal head retention of about 30 seconds if you are lucky. No obvious sign of lacing on the glass either but a mere haze of what could have been. This brew is propbably the most clear I have ever seen next to water. If I were stranded in a desert, working in the hot sun, or just resurfacing my driveway for more than 5 hours during the summer, an ice cold Corona Light would look extremely appealing to me.

Smell - Very faint aroma of malt and barely any hops. Possibly some adjunct aromas such as old rice but nothing that stands out. A variable mix of sweetness and floral but very light.

Taste - I'm not certain what this brew is supposed to be other than just 'beer' or 'cerveza' but I guess the taste fits the style. I couldn't really determine what the flavors were that I was experiencing, so I had to continue trying the beer multiple times to find out. ;) It is not unpleasant but doesn't lend much to the imagination either. Basically, it tastes like a lighter version of Corona!

Mouthfeel - After a few 'sips' I can safely say that the drinkability of this beer is very high. Even with it's light watery body, it has a very smooth and refreshing texture but leaves more to be desired. No complaints, but nothing very impressive either.

Overall - Obviously, Grupo Modelo knows what they are doing. If there was not a demand for this product it would not be marketed. Quite frankly, is the beer an Anchor Steam, Samuel Adams, Defiant, Theakston Old Peculiar, Dogfish Head, or Delirium Tremens?... absolutely not. But it holds a place in the refreshing and enjoyable beer market that is quite successful.

3.25/5  rDev +66.7%

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.75/5  rDev +41%

1.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 1.95 out of 5 with 2,022 ratings