Corona Light | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light
1.96/5
Awful
Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: American Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,070 |  Reviews: 412
1.13/5  rDev -42.3%

At a recent party I was greeted with a cooler of alcopops and corona light. I assume that I chose the lesser of two evils. Corona Light is barely a beer…light and watery, thin, very fizzy head. No aroma. Literally no taste…Good spring water has as much character. I suppose it was better than the alcohol flavored kool-aid, but it’s not much of a beer. There's actually quite a few NA beers that I've enjoyed more than this.

2.93/5  rDev +49.5%

Want a light mexican beer that you can buy for a cheap price in any store, buy Corona light. Put a lime in it and drink it fast. Very little smell, very little head, very little taste. The taste is plain and simple, maybe slight corn or other slight grains, but nothing too impressive.

1.42/5  rDev -27.6%

yellow like straw, some bubbles rise and a mild head settles on top of the beer. sure it doesn't look dark, but not too light either for a light beer.

aroma is metallic and strange.. a slightly less offensive version of the metallically lagered smell that adjunct beers usually give off. light, in this case, is a good thing.

it's bitter without flavor, without aftertaste except for the taste of tinfoil. atrocious.. i'll take coors or sam adams light over this any day. this has no redeeming value other than to get you drunk.

1.67/5  rDev -14.8%

This was an absoutley awful, and I mean awful beer. There is no reason this stuff should be this insanely expensive, and for the most part so insanely popular!

Appearance - Piss-colored yellow with absoutley no head whatsoever.

Smell - There is no actual smell to this that you can point your finger on besides corn.

Taste - This is the worst part. I would hope this would be better with lime but doesn't seem like it straight through. All I could think about was how I could possibly finish the 11 ounces of terrible beer I had left.

Mouthfeel - This wasn't too bad. It seemed to wash away like water, making it not stay in my tastebuds for long.

Drinkability - Now this is where it comes in handy. If you wanna get drunk semi-quick, go for it. At only around 3% alcohol though, where's the point? You might as well be drinking a 40 of cheap malt liquor.

2.99/5  rDev +52.6%

I used to drink Corona's quite frequently a few years ago, before I realized the world of craft beers. I cant remember ever drinking Corona Light though, so I figured I'd have to give it a shot.

Pours a straw yellow color, with large bubbles that are few and far between. Doesnt look like much. The nose is a little sweet, and much better than most light beers I've tried.

The taste is nice. It doesnt taste too much like a light beer. It has a welcoming presentation throughout the drink, and just enough bitterness in the finishing taste to keep you interested throughout.

The mouthfeel is very bubbly and carbonated, much more than the appearance leads you to believe. I'd say this a decently drinkable beer as well. There's enough taste to keep me going for quite a few of these. A little better than I expected.

Dont get me wrong, this beer does not stand out as a great beer, but amongst its peers, it fairs quite well.

1.98/5  rDev +1%

Appears a straw yellow with zero carbonation and a slight 1 inch head that fades quickly. Actually more lacing than anticipated but that's not saying much. A few streamy spots can be seen.
Smell is slightly skunky with a mild corn aroma.
Taste is of watered down corn sugar with no backbone.
Mouthfeel is of quick crispiness that fades quickly into an acidic water.
I wouldn't drink more than one of these unless there wasn't another beer within 10 miles.

Not so good, Al.

1.45/5  rDev -26%

It's like corona, but lighter, and less flavour. Yes, that's right, less flavour. Skunked, grainy, astringent and nasty. Watery taste, but a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Don't really see the point of making a Corona Light, but what the heck. Horrible beer, ok soda.

1.63/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance - A very light yellow color with a brief head the quickly exits.

Smell - No overarching smell to speak of, little bit of malt.

Taste - Very little taste. The presence of any introduced flavors (e.g. the obligatory slice of lime) does add to the presence of texture.

Mouthfeel - Light, quick to finish, pass the empty bottle to the person closest to the trash.

Drinkability - Socially, after cutting the grass, prior to dipping in the swimming pool.

General comments: General availability and low carbs would make this a "common beer". To hold this beer to the same criteria of a Trappist Westvleteren or a Stone Russian Stout would be like comparing a Yugo with a '69 Mustang. For a "social drinking beer" turning one's nose up because it is a "just a Corona" would be like needing a ride, and refusing one from a Yugo in lieu of waiting on the '69 Mustang to drive by to pick you up with a 25 year-old female blond in the drivers seat.

1.32/5  rDev -32.7%

Smells like old shoes and tastes like sour dishwater. Possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I recall eating at a Mexican restaurant and thinking that my neighbor should likely invest in some foot odor pads. I then realized that it was the beer I was smelling. I tried one just for the sake of knowing what it was like and I have to say that while it's better than the smell, it's still sub-par in every aspect.
There are decent Mexican beers out there, so there's no reason to ever go to this one. Even it's non-light brother is significantly better than than this. Go with a Bohemia, Modelo, or Pacifico if you want a pale Mexican lager.

The color of it is nice, but that's really the only positive thing I can say about it.

1.37/5  rDev -30.1%

I want to just write a review of the word "BLEEECH!!" But since that's not allowed let's get into some specifics.

Pours a clear urine-yellow, with a pathetic thin soapy head that dissolves like a cider. 'Aroma' of faint hops, dish soap, a skunk, quite unpleasent. Taste, hmmm... not as bad as I was expecting... but still very bad. Watery hops, slight apples, club soda, even some alcohol burn, which at 3.8% is ridiculous. This has a thin, watery, aggressively fizzy mouthfeel that has to be tasted to be believed. If I wanted another one of these, I'd just piss in a glass and chill it. I'm sure my urine has a higher ABV than this anyways...

1.33/5  rDev -32.1%

What a disgrace of a beer. Takes all of the corny skunk off flavors of a bottle of corona, and somehow waters it down. Did I put fruit in it? Hell no, I'll save that for next time i make jello. Why would you buy it? For the Taste? There are cheaper beers that are 10x better. Image? Probably, you psuedo-beer knurd.

1.2/5  rDev -38.8%

Appearance-a decent golden color, mimimal if any head to speak off at all, the millimeter of foam quickly disspitates.

Smell-skunk aroma at first, not much else to speak of, some DNS (cabbage!?!?!) no hop or malt aroma to speak of.

Taste-sour flavor, not really getting any flavor, taste is like putrid sour water, bland as beer can be.

Mouthfeel-crisp I suppose, watery and thin, nothing really there, no aftertaste.

Drinkability-I would never have another without about six limes, which should say enough about this beer.

Overall-like Corona, only even more watery and bland, and therefore worse. No reason at all to drink such a beer, as with Corona, any beer that needs flavor added is not a good beer, especially if that beer happens to be "Light" this beer makes Bud Light look heavenly.

2.35/5  rDev +19.9%

After reading a good many of these reviews, it's pretty obvious that there's a vengeful group of drinkers out there that just have it out for the Corona brand. Anyone who would rate this (or Extra for that matter) worse than Southpaw Light, Rolling Rock Green Light or Michelob Ultra either writes their reviews drunk, or doesn't do enough drinking to know any better. It does my heart good to see just how many here have apparently sampled the taste of urine, otherwise they'd apparently have no other words to describe a subpar beer. Anyways, back to beer...

Corona Light isn't particularly flavorful, but at least it's inoffensive (or at least it has been EVERY time I've had it). Squeeze in your lime, and you can drink them for hours without thinking about it. Color is extremely light, but not piss-yellow. Pours a minimal head that disappates quickly, and leaves an non-existance lace. Mouthfeel is ok, plenty carbonated, this one is.

This would be a good outside beer, as it quenches a thirst quite nicely, but unfortunately, at $12-$13 at the grocery store ($9 at my Total Wine), it's a bit pricy. That's the biggest offense, the price. This is nowhere near as bad as some would have you think, but it's not worth what they charge for it. If you want the same thing out of a cheap light beer, High Life Light isn't awful, and if you want good Mexican beer, pick up some Dos Equis or Negra Modelo.

1.03/5  rDev -47.4%

I had some of this at the end of a party at a friends house, at least the guy used to be a friend until he served me this crap. I wasn't ready to let the night end and I wanted another drink, in retrospect I should have checked the cabinet in the bathroom for a bottle of Listerine. This beer has absolutely no redeeming qualities to it. Usually thin beers are at least easy to drink, but this stuff makes bile climb up your throat. I choose sobriety over this muck.

1.73/5  rDev -11.7%

Consumed in October 2004 in Cancun, Mexico from a bottle. Blech!!! I tried two of these just to make sure the first wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Poured a light straw yellow with no head or straw. At first it tasted like regular Corona. But after the taste settled in...UGH! Drank it quickly and had another just to make sure my taste buds were responding properly. Same deal. Maybe a paint thinner taste too it? Pretty watery too. Tough to finish. Geez, am I glad I couldn't find Tecate Light.

1.35/5  rDev -31.1%

I sat down on a hot summer day with a sandwich and a Corona Light that got left at my house after a party, and was extremely dissapointed. I'm adding the disclaimer that someone else left it at my house because I soon found out that everything about this beer sucks. After experiencing it, I'd definatly say that I'd be embarresed to be seen buying it at the neighborhood store.

The appearance and smell are way below average and they leave nothing to look forward to. The beer was a sickly light yellow color and had little to no head. And as for the taste, I cannot stress how bad this beer really is. This beer is totally undrinkable, and its badness blows away even the likes of Bud Light, Natty Ice, and Coors Light. The bitterness and awful taste slaps you in the face and never looks back. It is totally undrinkable. After a few sips of what I thought would be a refreshing addition to my meal, I ended up pouring the rest of it down the sink.

My recommendation: Don't drink this beer unless you're smashed and probably won't rememeber doing so in the morning. It is totally incomprehensible to me that people are throwing down 12-13 bucks for a 12 pack of these urine bottles.

Bottle: Poured what must be the lightest yellow corn lager in the world without any head and a strong skunky aroma. Wow, truly one of the worst beer I had the misfortune of drinking and let me tell you that I had my fair share of bad experience. No much more that I can say about this…

Holy %$#@*!!! I had just suffered through a Silver Bullet at a low budget party and thought the only thing worse was a Mick Ultra. When the bullets were gone the Corona Light was unleashed. Dear God! No wonder the Mexicans are flocking to America. Can anyone tell me what the hell is in those bottles. Carbonated urine? No quality control at the Corona brewery. That's because there's no quality anything in a Corona Light to begin with. There is no hint of beer at all. It just tastes like fizzy polluted water. And why Light? A regular Corona already tastes like piss. This is one really shitty brew that doesn't even deserve this review. It's awful.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Somehow, I can handle this beer. I'll never use my own money on it but some friends seem to have it as their only option on a regular basis. It doesn't have much of anything to it. It doesn't taste horrible but it is way too watered down, which is probably good. If someone offers it to you, it won't make you retch like a Coors or something, but it won't satisfy much, either.

1.55/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance: Pale yellow; no head or lacing

Smell: Smells like composting vegetables

Taste: No malts or hops discernable; just a medicinal bitterness

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery; a bit of carbonation

Drinkability: It will be a long time before I have another; its been a long time since I've had one and I was just curious to see how it stacks up.

My first 1.0 beer. I use the term beer loosely because other than the bottle, this bears no relationship to beer, even regular Corona. If you put a lime in it, you have lime water. Otherwise, there is no discernible beer aroma or taste. It isn't water though either, which you might want to drink on a hot day. This is just weak, adulterated water with some hint of an off taste that is not good. I drank this so as not to insult a friend. Never, ever again.

1.4/5  rDev -28.6%

This is the most tasteless beer I have ever tasted. It poured a light yellow. It is impossible to articulate what it tasted or smelled like, because neither of these qualities was present. I will never buy this beer, because for the same price, I could purchase a pretty good beer like a SNPA or one of the good micro-brewed beers of New England.

1.12/5  rDev -42.9%

Pale pale yellow with sizzling carbonation that amounts to no head or lacing. Small vegetal citrus aroma is so faint that I accidentally stuck my nose in the beer trying to smell something. A taste starts with a harsh bite of carbonation, a garbage tea runs thinly over the tongue, quickly turning astringent and finishing with an empty sugar-substitute type sweetness. Actually painful to drink because of its harshness and horrible finish. It is beers like this that give beer a bad name. Shame, shame.

1.63/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

At a family gathering a case of this was in the midst of a barbecue. While I happily quaffed an excellent Otter Creek Vermont Lager, I placed it down on a table next to an eerily similar beer. Tending to the pork on the grill, I later returned to the table and decided to give this lager-ish impostor a whirl.

Looks wise I could have thought I was grabbing my Vermont Lager, though the gold was a bit duller, the carbonation more infrequent, and the head almost non-existent. Up to my nose and I gag - putrid scents of rotting flowers, cardboard, and some other things that just ain't right. Taste-wise it had no malt to speak of, and I don't understand what kind of hops they were employing. Old, skunked weeds pulled from the trash field behind the brewery?

Now it was drinkable enough for a cheap lager, but stood up as a lesson in contrast. Does the "Light" mean you're light in the head or in the wallet to buy this stuff? I could list a couple of similar-priced macro-brewed beers better than this rancid tap water.

1.47/5  rDev -25%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Every time I drink this stuff I swear it will be the last time. To say it is bad is an understatement. this beer tastes like watered down urine. With no disrespect to Mexico, they say don't drink the water there, this beer is brewed there, do you think they import bottled water to brew? the alcohol content is the only think keeping people from dying from food poisoning.

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 1.96 out of 5 with 2,070 ratings