Pacifico Cerveza Clara | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

poor
awful
Read the review
Pacifico Cerveza ClaraPacifico Cerveza Clara

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002

Reviews: 523 | Ratings: 1,918
1.59/5  rDev -40%

Ah, the Superbowl has left me with a virtual bounty of guest-donated brews in the fridge. Here's one.

Appearance: Pours (from a rock-heavy bottle--what's up with that?) a surprisingly (for the style, anyway) deep, clear straw gold. Big fizzy head comes... and goes. Not too bad.

Smell: Weak sister. Maybe a bit of grassy, grainy... something. Not too impressed.

Taste: In a word, crappy. Grainy, metallic, skunky--just gross. Mouthfeel is almost as bad, thin and incredibly, unbearably fizzy; it's like seltzer water. Yuck.

Drinkability: Well, I guess it goes down easily enough, but since it's no better than even the cheapest domestic macro, I can't imagine why you'd bother with this stuff. Grab a cube of the High Life instead; half the price and twice as good.

I can't vouch for the history of this batch; someone brought it over, so it may be skunked. As it stands now, though, one of the worst I've had.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I do not mean to be gruff about this review, but here goes...

Pacifico is Corona-like, lots of corn used in this lager. Pours straw yellow and not as crisp as it appears bubbling in a glass (if you are that sophisticated to use a glass). Not much here in flavor, not much in appearance, not much except you may ask yourself why you purchased it, why your friend was dumb enough to actually buy this, or how come there was no Pepsi in the fridge....

Not recommend; buy Golden Anniversary instead. That way at least you will have a conversation starter.

1.6/5  rDev -39.6%

A- Bright yellow, surprisingly luminescent beer. Head foams up from large bubbles, then fades to nothing in a matter of minutes with no lacing.

S- Typical adjunct grains, a little skunk. I did not add any citrus to this beer, but I swear I smell lemon in there somewhere.

T Hits the tongue with unremarkable adjunct grain flavors: corn, sweet rice, and the tinniest bit of barley. For a second, this beer tastes ok, but it goes downhill from there. When the toasted malts are supposed to kick in, a acidic bitterness takes over instead. This fades as an oily mishmash of off flavors squirms around on the tongue for longer than I would like, and it all fades away leaving a slippery acid taste in the mouth.

M- Very bubbly, but more in the way of diet soda than a nice adjunct lager.

D- The taste aside, this is a moderately drinkable beer. The oily character of the aftertaste would deter me though.

Overall: I am perfectly willing to give an American Adjunct lager and 'A' if it succeeds for what it is, but this beer does not. It looks ok, but beyond that it fails. My advice: if you want a cheap American Adjunct lager that actually tastes good and is consistent, go with Miller High Life.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

So this beer is typical of the coast, you can find it on every beach, and also on restaurants that serve Mexican-Pacific food (fish, shrimps all spicy)

This beer tastes like water and it has no smell. The only reason i try it it is because they serve it prepared (tastes nothing like beer) with some Clamato and lemon juice, a classic Michelada.

But alone it is not worth the try, unless theres nothing better.

Drinkability is good if you are thirsty on a hot summer day and you don't have water or soda.

1.62/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale gold color. Head bubbles up quick, and leaves faster. After a couple seconds, there is no head left at all. Smells of grass and grain. Has a sweet corn taste that is very thin and watery. Not good at all. This just adds to the list and the image of Mexican beers as being sub-par.

1.66/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear light golden colir with white head. Cereal grains on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes with lingering grains and a touch of sweetness.

1.68/5  rDev -36.6%

I was dissapointed in this beer, for many reasons. One, I thought I was recieving a six pack when instead I recieved a who-knows-how-long-this-has-been-opened bottle. Two, it was warm. Three, he told me "it is the best mexican beer ever." I guess that statement does say a whole lot really.

Since it was in the bottle, I coudn't see it, but as I would imagine it would be a light yellow. The smell, it wasn't skunky, but there was no sweetness to it, nor was it a bitter smell. It just smelled bad, kind of like how it tasted. Nothing jumps out at all in this beer, especially when warm. It wasn't even refreshing for Christ's sakes. I wouldn't even consider it a beer, the only quality that would put it in the same category is that it has alcohol. The end. This is a step BELOW Corona as far as I'm concerned, because without the lime and warm, no way I would ever want this beer again.

1.68/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I poured this into a nonic pint to help with head retention. Alas, even with help, there is no head retention. Loogies on a mossy pond is what's left on top. The body is pale straw with a touch of blonde, and 100% transparent.

Aroma of baked cornbread, a touch of straw, white bread.

Flavor is bitter and awful. Straw bitterness, followed by rank corn, hop pastiness and a finish of buttered unleavened bread.

Feel is thin and overly carbonated.

This beer is quite simply awful. There is nothing redeeming about this beer from saving it from the drain. The drain is getting the rest of this one.

1.68/5  rDev -36.6%

12 ounce bottle into Falstaff goblet.

A: Pale straw with a big white head that dissapates down to near nothing but a collar.

S: Smells a lot like Corona. Metal grains and slight malt.

T: I know that people find it blasphemous to add lime but for God sakes this fucker needs it. Some salt too. Hugely metallic.

M: Not much there pretty watery.

D: I had on of these at Headliners at the Meat Puppets concert and I took it back and told them it was bad when really I just think its fucking bunk to begin with.

1.71/5  rDev -35.5%

Decent head, but dissipates quickly. No lacing. Typical golden tan color, perfectly clear. Smell is weak, and what is there isn't that pleasant. Initial taste is ok, but very bland unimpressive, and the aftertaste is just unpleasant; dry, and a little skunky and a little bitter.

1.75/5  rDev -34%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Bottle into pint glass

A: Pours bright straw color with little white head that is gone after a second leaving a little film on the top.

S: Bitter, spoiled hops. Almost a sour smell.

T: Sour spoiled hops with a little sweet twist at the end. The taste leaves almost instantly leaving really nothing on the pallet.

M: Light and crisp with good solid carbonation. Nice light body.

O: Meh. Pretty average beer, but I wasn't expecting anything substantial. Good party beer on a hot summer day.

1.76/5  rDev -33.6%

One of the few beers that makes Corona look like a premium brand. Hint of funky plastic in the aroma, and more in the taste. Harsh whallop of bitterness hits the tongue and hangs on with a one-dimensional tenacity that makes another mouthtfull a dreaded chore. Simply awful.

1.76/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I had this on my Wants list forever, since hearing rumors that they had begun putting it in CANs. Have I seen it in bottles? Sure, but between the dwindling Bottle Backlog and my ever-decreasing interest in more bottled beers, I have shined it on until now. The CANQuest (tm) recently discovered it in a 24-fl. oz./710 ml CAN & I jumped on it! As a retired sailor, this was a gorgeous CAN! The graphics, with the bronze anchor, the blue sea, the life preserver & the hops bine, all spoke to me. Plus, the bright yellow (my favorite color & shade) was totally eye-catching on its own.

From the CAN: "La Cerveza del Pacifico (The Beer of the Pacific)".

I readied my largest glass, put up a fight on the open to unleash one of the loudest Crack!s ever & actually CANmenced an inverted Glug, believe it or don't. This mad craziness led to three-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, rocky head with low retention, retreating as quickly as it had advanced. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose smelled like a farmer had scooped up a cat & a skunk in a fight to the death & flung them into the corn silo to ferment along with the rest of the pig slop. Oof. Cattiness + skunkiness + silage = eyeballs rolling back just prior to fainting. It has, admittedly, been a while for me, but AALs were the backbone of The CANQuest (tm) for a long time. I had really forgotten what it was to actually drink one. Mouthfeel was barely medium. It was just slightly above thin. The taste was like my upcoming afternoon snack of Fritos. This is a little off-track, but my longest-lasting formative moments were in Nursery class with Mrs. Havens in 1969-'70 at LCDS. I was smitten with this gorgeous redhead, Lauren, with whom I shared a freckled face, but not the hair. We held hands at every opportunity & were the talk of the school until she transferred a couple/few years later. I wept inCANsolably at the loss, but I have had a redhead fetish since. Another love that has stuck with me since then is Fritos. Mrs. Havens gave each of us a bag with lunch one afternoon & I was hooked! I have heard, repeatedly, that Fritos are for little kids, but I love the crunchy mouthfeel, the saltiness, the oiliness, the taste and especially the way that they pair with food. I have baked, stirred and otherwise incorporated them into dishes ever since my introduction to them. I CAN't say much good about a beer that tastes like corn chips, but at least it invoked a pleasant memory. Finish was oddly semi-sweet, rather than outright sweet, but it was still pretty much rubbish, overall.

1.79/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Another typical mass-produced lager with absolutely no distinctions to its credit.

Bland, crisp -- drinkable, but not very tasty. Your typical Mexican lager. Not very good, but easy to drink and relatively cheap. Get something else if you're going for flavor, as this is just watered down hops and grains with not much else happening.

1.8/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown longneck bottle poured into pint glass, served cold. Beer pours crystal clear pale yellow with a thin white head. Vaguely metallic aroma, like a can of soda.

Flavor is negligible, but relatively inoffensive (at least if you aren't expecting beer). More of a seltzer. Fizzy and cold. Neither malt nor hops make an appearance. The worst part is the metallic aftertaste. Iron. Aluminum can. Yes, this came from a glass bottle.

Maybe this is to beer what lime-flavored seltzer is to Sprite. Reminiscent of the real artifact, but mostly water. Except the seltzer has a purpose.

How do they get it so clear??

1.8/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another somewhat crap Mexican beer. Pours a light yellow color with a medium light tan head. Aroma is of corn and lemons, really not that bad. Taste isn't as good. Grain astringency in a watery body then some acidity. This washed down my Burrito alright but that's about it. I'm still looking for something from Mexico which might compete with Bohemia.

1.8/5  rDev -32.1%

Color is a not very impressive clear straw-yellow. Aroma is crisp and typically lagerish, not complex and not at all promising. Flavor is rather thin and watery, a little malty with just a little bit of a zing and a teeny hint of hop bitterness. Texture is fairly smooth and rather watery.

1.82/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Faint yellow, with practically no head and no lacing at all.

S: Adjunct as it gets. Corn and faint fruitiness.

T: Huge adjunct flavor that is less than pleasant. Almost intolerable, having to struggle to finish.

M: Far too much carbonation, not smooth at all. Difficult to put down.

D: Having a hard enough time putting down one, can't imagine another.

1.83/5  rDev -30.9%

Now this is a typical Grupo Modelo beach beer.
Though this brewery has some decent products, like Negra Modelo and even Victoria, Pacífico is not ones of these.

This one is very popular in the Northern Pacific Coast of México, and the only reason I can find is because that part of the country is very, very hot.

It's color is light straw yellow, no head and almost no lacing.

You can sniff it over and over and draw almost no smell.

It's taste is, well, almost non existant. Watery with a just a hint of bitterness.

It leaves nothing to the palate, any possible flavor quickly dissipates.

I just can't have another of these.

1.86/5  rDev -29.8%

My choices were Corona (basically fizzwater, right?), Pacifico, and mexican water. Pacifico was probably the safest choice, since I knew what to expect from Corona or mexican water.

A: drank from bottle, so I have no idea. If taste is any indicator, I imagined a little darker color than Corona..
S: corn and malts. Nothing exciting.
T: corn. I think clean water would have been better; at least I would save some calories.
M: Not bad; it's not as thin as I expected from the smell, and the carbonation is pretty decent.
D: I would never pay money to drink this beer.

1.87/5  rDev -29.4%

Let me preface this by saying I wouldn't even had consumed this if a friend didn't need yellow caps for a pong table he was building.

Pours clear light straw with a moderate carbonation and a typcial American adjunct style head...it shows up, but it goes away quickly and doesn't lace.

The aroma is predictable based on the appearance. Grainy adjunct nose with a hint of corn. The flavor is worse...this even tastes a bit skunky despite the fact that it is housed in a brown bottle. Not sure what is going on here. I am NOT a fan. I'm not sure, but because you aren't supposed to drink the water in Mexico, they may have just fermented their adjuncts in a medium of ass sweat.

Again, the mouthfeel is nothing impressive, and honestly, unless you are playing bocce, croquet, or a similar booze-friendly yard game and would like to drink something light, I do not recommend it.

1.87/5  rDev -29.4%

No head. Crystal clear straw body. This beer doesn't smell awful, but I would have rated it a 1 based on the fact that it has almost no smell whatsoever. I can almost pick up a slight hint of corn. This has to be the least pronounced scent of any beer I've had so far. Tastes completely watered down with extremely vague hints of grain and herb. Easy to drink because it's essentially colored water. Great for someone who wants to get drunk and who hates the taste of beer. Hardly even a noticeable trace of alcohol.

look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Ummm, not so good. Had this straight out of the bottle. Pretty boring pilsner, like a worse version of a Mexican rolling rock. Watered down pilsner flavor. It actually doesn't go that bad with a spicy burrito, but you can do better for pilsner beers

1.88/5  rDev -29.1%

A: Poured fro a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow color and a clear texture. Not much head or lacing.

S: There was a funky, grainy smell, along with a little citrus and hops.

T: A tiny bit of lemon and hops, but mainly this beer has a grainy taste that's pretty unpleasant. Other than that, it's very thin.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation. A dry finish.

D: Yet another beer modelled after the American macro swill. Totally uninteresting and devoid of character.

1.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Another big shoutout to my best pal biegaman for hooking us up with another Mexican gem, Pacifico Clara!

Pours a straw yellow, crystal clear, thin white head, some lace spots, settles to a thin layer. Smell is sweet, corny, citrus, kind of odd. Taste is similar, sweet and corny, some citrus, somewhat nasty, very weak. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Another stellar beer courtesy of Jan, thanks man!!

Pacifico Cerveza Clara from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.