Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Read the review
Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Reviews: 955 | Ratings: 3,203
Reviews by digitalflood:
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.77/5  rDev +42%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The name might get you some looks...it ain't racist, yo...and it gets very little marketing...but this drank es Padrisimo! Don't drink the corona extras and puta madre cervezas...this and dos equis ambar are what you need. One time, Anahi, Belinda, AND Maria Elisa Camargo were all over deez nutz when I drank this. Buy it...today.

4.94/5  rDev +47%

Having been away from beer for a long while I wanted to get back to drinking. I used to be a light beer drinker before so I wanted to try something new and by chance, and curiosity I ordered a negra modelo. ..wow! what a joy it was drinking that first bottle. When ever I can't find it I try other darks only to be left disappointed. Thanks to the Brewers of this fine beer I now have found my afternoon companion.

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A dark brown almost see through appearance with a slightly spiced bread smell. The flavor is light and watery,sweet bread like with a hint of hops at the end. This is an extremely drinkable beer that goes down very smooth. I hit the jackpot today with the past 2 I've tried. Next time your at a Mexican restaurant you've got to hope they have it to gulp down with your food or just start pounding them and wait for the mariochy band. The only thing I didn't like was the foil on the cap if you can look past that you might give it an A+ but I can't so a rock solid A it is.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance – A clear, brown body with a decent head that dropped rather quickly but laced the glass.

Smell – Light hints of malt underneath chewy caramel.

Taste – This is really good for a Mexican ale. The caramel isn’t as strong on the tongue that it is at the nose, but the malt flavor steps up a bit and holds its own. This is not exceptional quality by any means, but the flavors are professional and right along lines with the style.

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation, again in keeping with the style.

Drinkability – It was a little clumsy going down for me, but this is hands above other Mexican ales that I’ve had and quite a respectable offering by Modelo.

3.7/5  rDev +10.1%

This is by far my favorite readily available Mexican beer. It's a dark lager, brewed in the Munich style.

It's really not particularly dark either in color or flavor but Negra Modelo is undeniably a dark beer.

It's smooth and goes down easily. Folks who have been brought up on garbage American macros might find this to be a good transition beer into better realms. I did when I was a teenager.

It definitely goes well with spicy food and has itself a subtle spicy nose with hints of caramel.

I might also say that it is slightly nut-brownish.

Beer snobs may not care for this beer but I think that it bridges an important gap between popular Mexican imports like Corona, Pacifico, and Tecate and better, more complicated beers.

I take mine without a lime and in the bottle. I prefer it this way and as odd as it may sound, I feel that pouring this beer into a glass detracts greatly from its flavor and esthetic appeal.

Highly drinkable.

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue V:

Don't even think about it, get that damn lime away from this beer and pour it into a glass. Just because this beer comes from Mexico does not mean it needs a wedge of citrus to make it taste better.

A wholesome-looking two fingers of head stand at attention for the duration. Deep tawny color is clear and shows off the darkness it possesses. Hints of lemon, toasted bread crust and brown bread in the aroma. Extreme smoothness gently rolls the medium body over the palate. Sweetness from the malt is predominate to start, but slowly drops off as a toasted graininess takes over. Mild hop bitterness has a slight sharpness to it with very little flavor, just bitterness, which is fine as it lets the malt prevail. Semisweet finish with a lingering cloaked caramel maltiness.

Delicious in a simple way. Remember, just say no to limes! Hands down one of the best Mexican beers that has ever crossed the border, legally.

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I liked this one - it is a great dark beer to partner with some good Mexican or Tex-Mex food. It's dark and full but has some sweet finishes as well.

Poured from a bottle at a Mexican restaurant. Came with a slice of lime but I wanted nothing to do with that and squeezed it in my glass of water instead. Has a brownish, woody, caramel color. Smells sweet, caramelly and lagery. Tastes sweet and malty, with a bit of bitterness to even it out. Feels fairly light and refreshing, perfect to compliment spicy Mexican cuisine. Overall this is my favorite Mexican beer I've had so far. If I'm at a Mexican restaurant and any friends plan on ordering a Corona or something, I'll recommend they give this a try instead.

Now, this is my first review so bear with me until I get the hang of this. I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. We have an awesome Mexican restaurant in our town, and of course being a beer lover, I wanted a beer with my meal. I asked the server if they had any darker beers, and he suggested this one. It had a decent look to it, not the best I've ever seen but pretty respectable. It had a nice medium brown color, I guess kind of amber. It was a bit fizzy but not too much. I don't like a lot of fizz, but to each their own for those who do. The taste was great! Not too hoppy, which is good for me, and it had a good caramel taste that I thought was present. Taste-wise, I am sure there are much bolder flavored beers out there, but this one doesn't lack flavor and is all in all very good. Not what you'd call a heavier beer, but it has some substance to it. It is worth a try and I personally found I really enjoy it.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Darkest brown, caramel, brown bready-ness, a hop bitterness to balance any sweetness. I've enjoyed this in the past with Mexican food, and it pairs well at dessert with flan.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

3.05/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at BTB in Ann Arbor, MI. Modest brown color, through and through. Moderate transparency with a small, wispy head that vanishes pretty abruptly. This beer has a clean, crisp, faint citrus smell with a very small malty undertone. It tastes like roasted malts and toasted bread with not much of a citrus taste like the smell might give off. There is, however, an element of sweetness to this beer, just a bit. The body is very thin, crisp, clean, and refreshing, providing a moderately dry finish.

Negra Modelo is a very simple beer that isn't great but isn't bad either. Many of the Mexican chain restaurants around my house serve this beer, and it compliments a burrito much better than a Corona or Dos Equis.

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a tasty beer. It poured a dark red color with a small head that did not last long. The smell was very malty and sweet, quite inviting. The flavor was quite good with a nice strong malt backbone and a pinch of hop bitterness. Reminded me of a watered down double bock in some respects. Anyways it went well with my fish tacos and I would drink this one again if it were available.

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.