Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo
3.34/5
Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Ratings: 3,336 |  Reviews: 995
4.47/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

Look: Draft. Very thin white head, brownish clear body.

Smell : See below, but weaker.

Taste : Caramel, mild crackers, a roasty note.

Feel : Medium-Light body, medium carbonation, mild sweetness.

4.45/5  rDev +33.2%

I ordered this in a restaurant and was not expecting much. I figured it would be another Corona-like Mexican beer. The other choices the restaurant had were unappealing (Bud, Coors), so I gave it a show.

I am very glad I tried it. I really enjoyed this beer.

A: No faults, looks to be a dark amber.

S: Sweet smells dominate

T: Lots of fruit-forward malts that make the initial taste sweet, but with just enough bitter to offer balance.

M: Actually has more body to it than I thought it would. Nice balanced body.

D: Very, very drinkable. Can fill the role of delicious hot day beer and also has enough body to match with many meals.

Overall: Very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer was.

4.44/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Negra Modelo Brewed by Creveceria Modelo Nava Mexico, Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. Now Negra Modelo is an Vienna Lager with an ABV of 5.70% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice small off white head. This brew has the look of root beer. Now I’m not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Negra Modelo rich with roasted grains, malts , and hops. There is also a nice sweetness to the smell of this brew. The smell of this brew is really inviting. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up on a smooth sweetness of roasted grains and malts. There is a lot going on in Negra Modelo. Negra Modelo has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. You really can’t pick up on the 5.70% Abv in this brew it is just that smooth. The mouthfeel of Negra Modelo is rich, bold, clean, smooth and refreshing . Overall I’m giving Negra Modelo a 4.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Creveceria Modelo Nava Mexico, did a nice job with this one.

4.4/5  rDev +31.7%

Appearance: Dark amber with hues of red. Beautiful thick off white head.

Smell: Malt aromas. no noticable hop aroma. very pleasant smelling beer

Taste: My first beer had little carbonation as I poured too much of a head so the bitterness due to dissolved carbon dioxide was too low. This balance was achieved in my later beers poured correctly. This is one of my favorite beers, as it is light enough to drink many off but also has enough flavor to not be a macro.

Mouthfeel: Not light, not medium. Medium light

Drinkability: one of my favorites. I could drink this over and over.

4.4/5  rDev +31.7%

Although not much of a head on this one the smell that arose from the brisk pour told me that there was going to be some sweetness to this one.

The smell didn't lie sweet bready although smooth like a lager should be. Fairly thin body but it makes it all the more session able.
Great one to accompany food.

I'm a fan.

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My only complaint on this beer is that I wish it had a bigger nose. It's a little subtle but still a wonderful scent. This beer has great malt character and a smooth, easily approachable lager mouthfeel. Not too carbonated and very thirst-quenching. The robust dark malts are not as pronounced as a schwarzbier from Germany. The hops on this beer are not as Euro-bitter as other Munich Dunkels out there. Sweet carmel amber malts and clean finish make this beer delicious. Mexico's best in the U.S.

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

A beautiful brown brew with nice clarity and big topping of lightly tan colored foam that leaves a fair bit of lacing. Nice sweet light aroma or smell.

The taste is light and crisp with a malty caramel sweetness that follows. A "perfect Vienna lager." Don't be afraid of the lime. Just another variation so to speak.

Goes down smooth, baby.

A wonderful dark lager for a nice day like today. World class. Love it all to hell. Complements good summer jazz like Weather Report - Heavy Weather. Classic.

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

I really like this beer considering it's price and that it is available almost anywhere. It has a nice brown coloring ,really malty smooth flavor with no bitter aftertaste. A little thicker consistency than average. My go to beer if no other darks on sale

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

Been craving one of these bad boys for a while. Even on a cold day, this is really refreshing.

Drank one at a Mexican Restaurant to accompany my Fajitas, could not have made a better choice.

Bottle came with a slice of lime, which I quickly discarded. Didn't want to alter the flavor in any way.

Cold, smooth, no unexpected tastes. Refreshing

4.34/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Deliciosa por donde se lo pruebe

4.33/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very drinkable beer/lager, smooth and refreshing. Very tasty before/aftertaste. Multiple time buy 100%

4.32/5  rDev +29.3%

I was very impressed the first time I tried Negra Modelo. It is hard to find a beer in the Supermarket that I can always rely on. Goes awesome with a nice meal, watching sports (for me Futbol), or any leisure activity. Smells good, mouthfeel is on point. The taste is great...not real strong, but has a nice potency to it. Overall a beer I can turn to if I need to find a quick dark beer.

4.31/5  rDev +29%

probably my favorite dark beer, next to newcastle of course. first time i had it i was in detroit and my boss bought it, and i thought it looked cheap because of the stupid tin foil on the top of the bottle, and i had never heard of it. so he let me try one of his and it tasted just like it smelled DELICIOUS! about a week later i had to pick some of it up it was that good.

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark colour, but a little clear. Although it has a good name in MExico, the truth it is sometimes mistaken between a Vienna and a Dark lager. I think it is both, but it is considered a strong beer here. That means that the efforts won't be further, not because of the brewery, but because of the consumers.

4.28/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle C187A079. Sam Adams glass.

A: pours a dark amber brown with one finger light tan head that fades quickly. Loads of streaming carbonation, but actually less than I would expect for the style. No lacing, modest retention.

S: sweet, but not excessively so. Something sweet and fruity; overripe banana? Toasted sweet wheat bread.

T: malty and banana arrival, slightly sweet. The lightness of the sweetness and the complexity of this malty and estery taste are really satisfying. There is something slightly odd at the end, but I think that is the hops given that I just had a Lambic as my last beer. Very clean finish.

M: lighter end of medium. For the style, the carbonation is actually quite restrained. There is a little lingering slickness, but overall it is a lager, so very clean. Not as clean as hustle. Cleaner than Eliot.

O: this is not a good beer, it is a great beer. It captures the essence of the style better than any other beer I have had. Mexican lagers are the "in" thing this summer, but this beer is the one that started it and I honestly don't think it has been bested yet. I like Eliot Ness more as a craft beer, but it goes beyond the style. Devils backbone seems tame by comparison. Have it with food and be happy. Six pack worthy for sure.

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%

The bottle is very cool looking, like something from the 60s.

The beer pours a deep bronze with red glints. The aroma is roundly malty with complex roast and caramel notions. Hops are there but in the background. The taste is malty and roasty. Theres caramel sweetness thats balanced by bitterness from hops and the dark malts. A slight astringency emerges in the finish and migles with the malt sugars. This beer gets sweeter as it warms.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for a lager, very creamy.

By far the best beer I had on my trip to Mexico (which sadly isnt saying much). I cant believe the same people that make Corona make something this good. I highly recommend it.

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%

This brew poured a nice honey brown color with a half inch head. Light lacing on the glass, carbonation visible on the sides.

Aroma had caramel as the most detectable of the sweet malts, and a little grapefruit hop aroma as well. Other than the grapefruit, reminded me briefly of a light maple syrup.

Malty flavor comes through; caramel with a good grapefruit bitterness to finish it off.

Good mouthfeel, the sweetness hangs around on the palate a little bit; may make it a bit too sweet after a while.

This brew is easy to chug. All in all, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers along with Bohemia. Good flavor with no off-putting taste although it does get a bit sweet after having about 4 or 5 in a night (or more for that matter).

As a side note, I cook a lot with this beer too. Good for adding flavor and tenderizing meat when you don't want a heavy porter flavor lingering on your food.

4.26/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Absolutely one of the very best lagers with large availability!

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. Poured from the bottle into pint glass, this beer's head is two fingers thick and off white, with lateral lacing, and a clear dark oak brown body.

Smells like full bodied,earthy grains with a hint of caramelized malts.

I taste a clean, easy-going blend of the same elements, with the pleasing inclusion of a mid-palate bitterness to fully balance this well-made brew.

The mouthfeel here is medium-light with mild carbonation. Smooth and clean.

Overall, I'll rate Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. with a 4.25. Definitely one of the more complex non-craft(but definitely not an AAL) Mexican beers widely avalible.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

Lately I have been drinking a lot of different beers. For the last few years I've been eyeing this beer down. The other night I said, WTF, i'll try it. I grabbed just one out of a six pack. Dam, I wish I would have bought a 12 pack. What a great beer! Pours great with a decent head though, not as nice a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale...;-) However, if you are looking to try a new beer definitely add this one to your list. You'll love it..:)

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 3.34 out of 5 with 3,336 ratings