Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Reviews: 966 | Ratings: 3,237

Appears dark-brown and clear. Tan, creamy head with little persistence.
Smell is subdued caramel and faint toasted malt.
Taste is mild and nutty. Pretty uninteresting.
Mouthfeel is very clean, but kind of watery and thin.
Drinkability is good if you're eating Mexican food.

This is a decent Mexican lager. Way better than Corona, but not really my thing.

2.91/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours dark copper color with a tight inch and half of head. Looks nice. Smells malty but there is a hint of corn... which does not help. It would be great without that bit of corn. Watery taste at first, then malty (every so slightly roasted malt), finishes with a mild hop presence. Nothing too impressive. Light and crisp in the mouth. Low carbonation. Easy to drink. Overall for a dunkel lager it lacks the malt body, however for an easy drinking lager it is nice.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Not a bad Mexican beer, head and shoulders above Corona or Corona light. Decent beer that does not require the addition of a lemon or lime. In addition, this beer is not bad as it warms a bit. Carbonation is good, but not overdone. To be honest, could not really detect an attributable scent with this beer. Would I go out of my way to buy this beer? No, but I would order the next time I am having Mexican food.

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

appearance: red/orange, one finger head that dissappears fast leaving a white film on top.

smell: caramel and a bit of roasted malts.

taste: slightly bitter, caramel and some coffee character.

mouthfeel: thin and watery, the carbonation feels weird and a bit aggressive.

overall: not the worst beer on earth but it's not one I'd choose to drink everyday.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

One of my favorites. Decent Vienna lager. Consumed at Hacienda Mexican restaurant in St. Louis. You don't need a lime for this one as it is quite flavorful. Was somewhat sweet. Carbonation was perfect for this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -19.3%

A standard at most grocery stores this dark austrian lager pours with a tannish head. The body is amber colored with an aroma of malt. Slight spiciness to the pallette finishing with malt dominance, not much in the way of hops and very little mouthfeel. Ok in a pinch.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle.

Pours a dark copper color with a medium thick head.

Smells of caramel malt.

Tastes malty and a very faint hint of hops. A bit metallic. With a dry finish.

This beer is the best Mexican beer that I have had. I guess that may not be saying much, but it's better than your typical north american lager.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

A beer haiku for you:

"When ice cold, I'm great;
Drink me cold and don't worry.
Mexican of note".

In the realm of the mass produced Mexican family this one actually is appealing, particularly when served icy as intended. Very palatable: don't expect depth of character, just a refreshing lager that will tickle your tummy.

Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Dark but translucent brown color, with nearly no head. Smells like roasted barley and a hint of toffee. Very light in body, lots of carbonation, but strangely, no real flavor. Almost an insipid lager: there is a gesture of smoothness underlying the strong overlay of bitterness. Not an offensive beer, but not a satisfying one either.

3.05/5  rDev -9.5%

Nice caramel brown color. Light tan head that is gone quickly. Smell was nothing i get grab with my nose. Nice light malty flavor, but feels a little thin in my mouth. There is also a little more carbonation than i would like. Another fairly good one from Modelo, good with lime.

4.12/5  rDev +22.3%

Tasted good, especially with lime garnish

Nice blend mostly malt and caramel with a mild hoppy touch. Clear brown color with a small head. Bubbles rose up like champagne. Nicely carbonated and foamy. This is a great beer.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%

Clear, dark amber colored beer. Good carbonation. Decent head.

Faint, tangy sweet, dark beer smell.

Tangy sweet and bitter. Overall it is pleasant. Not fantastic. Tastes better cold.

Tart. Bitter. Carbonation is a little sharp. Finish is good, long, and bitter.

A decent, affordable beer. Not for special occasions. Something a little different to session with. Or a good beer to go with fast food.

4.08/5  rDev +21.1%

In 1997 I got on a plane bound for Mexico City. I had been trying to learn Spanish and had been corresponding with a young lady for a few months. She met me at the airport with her boyfriend. They drove me past the Zocalo and to my hotel. I checked in, and when I came down, they were in the restaurant drinking Negra Modelos. I had a great week. I had a personal tour guide showing me the museums and landmarks of a beautiful city and access to Negra Modelo wherever I went. I'm still friends with the girl. We communicate via Facebook these days. So this beer brings back fond memories to me.

As the name suggests, it's a dark beer. It's not heavy, and it doesn't have an overpowering taste, perfect for cooling down after climbing Teotihuacan or taking in the sights on a hot August Mexico City afternoon.

2.89/5  rDev -14.2%

Target was selling six-packs for $4.99 which seemed odd but legit. A lot of the appeal comes from the flashy gold label. Inside, a fairly average Mexican lager. Probably needs a lime in it to bring out the citrus notes/smell of most Mexican beers. Low carbonation, okay mouthfeel, leaves a sour aftertaste. Will drink if it's available, but for a whopping 170 calories per bottle, I'd save up for something a little better.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

I generally rotate between this and Dos Equis when I'm at a Mexican resturant.

First thing to do when served is to pull the lime out of the neck of the bottle. One of my buddies asked me why I don't put the lime in, I answered, "Because it doesn't need it." This beer is good enough to drink alone unlike Corona which needs to just have the beer poured out and replaced with lime juice. That would fix the taste.

Anyway, the beer pours a clear brown with a small slightly sticky head. It looks good in the glass and the smell is nice to. Very sweet tasteing beer (almost as sweet as a Michelob AmberBock which somebody on the web site referred to as "flat Coke"). Overall the taste is good to me but I don't think I could have many of them at one sitting. The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style and it seems to be a little underhopped for the style.

Speaking of style beeradvocate lists it as a Vienna Lager and many people have referred to it as a lager but on the bottle it refers to itself as a "dark ale" (it will be on the front of the label below and to the right of the name). Odd.

A dark lager that tasted fine faired with my mexican food as it kept the stinging spiciness of the meal down. Unfortuantely it had little spice of its own. Extremely smooth and light for a dark beer. This one was the opitome of average in my book and therefore, I have rated it as such.

Good with Mexican food, but not on its own.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

poured out brownish in color, not too dark really. off white head that left minimal amounts of lacing. fizzy carbonation. taste wasnt bad, but it wasnt a very flavorful brew. sweet in the beginning but finished dry and a little bitter. end hada slight alcohol taste as well. went down alot smoother that any other offering i have had from Modelo. what kept my interest in this beer was its drinkability. very smooth and easy to put down. not a bad beer, not a fantastic beer. worth a try i believe

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%

At the local Mexican bar for Cinco de Mayo and thought I would have a NM in keeping with the spirit of things. I remember liking this beer 5 years ago. Has it changed?

Poured from the bottle it looked like slightly frothy and dark apple juice. Almost no heAd even though I gave it a long distance pour. Little smell whatsoever. The taste was blandly malted with a dull slightly sour finish.

Despite the lack of visible carbonation, it actually felt pretty good in the mouth which did compensate a little for the flat taste. That

2.99/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Dark, clear, amber color with a ton of carbonation. Has a very bubbly head and it looks like I just poured a Dr. Pepper on my mug.

S: I'm not getting much off the nose. The first initial sniff gave me sole caramel and a malty smell but it disappeared rather fast. There might be a hint of grass as well.

T: The beer gives a decent amount of hops and adjuncts and you can definitely taste them. The texture is very watery and there isn't as much malt flavor as I was expecting. Not a bad taste but not memorable in any way. It's just sort of...there.

M: Watery will a somewhat dry finish. Lots of burps.

O: A mildly bitter adjunct beer that has some OK flavors but is overall not very memorable. Not bold enough for my taste but definitely good with some tacos.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

Now, this is my first review so bear with me until I get the hang of this. I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. We have an awesome Mexican restaurant in our town, and of course being a beer lover, I wanted a beer with my meal. I asked the server if they had any darker beers, and he suggested this one. It had a decent look to it, not the best I've ever seen but pretty respectable. It had a nice medium brown color, I guess kind of amber. It was a bit fizzy but not too much. I don't like a lot of fizz, but to each their own for those who do. The taste was great! Not too hoppy, which is good for me, and it had a good caramel taste that I thought was present. Taste-wise, I am sure there are much bolder flavored beers out there, but this one doesn't lack flavor and is all in all very good. Not what you'd call a heavier beer, but it has some substance to it. It is worth a try and I personally found I really enjoy it.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Dark golden color with a slight head.
S - Some malty vienna notes present.
T - Toasty rich malt notes, with a clean lager character, and subtle bitterness.
M - Good body with a appropriate level of carbonation leaves a gentle finish.

This is a pretty good beer, and a great example of Vienna lager. It's malty, clean, and crisp, great for a hot summer day.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz bottle to pint glass.
A: Dark, dark amber, but not a black beer - you can see the whole way through the glass. Small foamy head, almost no retention or lacing.
S: Malts and caramels. Nice aroma, but quite light.
T: Actually nice taste. Caramels and some malts again, well balanced, nice and clean. Some sour lemon notes.
M: Nicely carbonated and smooth.
D: This is a fine beer for a cinco de mayo party or at mexican restaurants, where little else is available. Not bad at all.

4.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My only complaint on this beer is that I wish it had a bigger nose. It's a little subtle but still a wonderful scent. This beer has great malt character and a smooth, easily approachable lager mouthfeel. Not too carbonated and very thirst-quenching. The robust dark malts are not as pronounced as a schwarzbier from Germany. The hops on this beer are not as Euro-bitter as other Munich Dunkels out there. Sweet carmel amber malts and clean finish make this beer delicious. Mexico's best in the U.S.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

A darker beer for a cerveza. Poured a redish-brown color with a creamy head that lasted a fair time.

The aroma was malty with slight carmel and nut tone.

Flavor was slighty sweet with a carmal, roasted malt taste. Ended with a bitter-sweet finish.
One of my favorites from this group. I would give this above average marks for taste, color , flavor and aroma.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.