Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Ratings: 3,306 |  Reviews: 990
1.63/5  rDev -51.6%

Mass-produced dark beer? Sure, I'll try it......once. I have to say I love the strange-shaped bottle with foil. Very different. Too bad the stuff inside tastes like beer soda.

Appearance is light brown (only "dark" in comparison with most other commercial lagers) with a small, quickly receding head. The bubbles are way too big in size to be at all natural (as my understanding goes)

Smell is very sweet malt. Taste is annoying sweet malt that is only covered up a bit by the hops (I think I taste Saaz). The feel is a little sticky with rough carbonation. I think people give it higher marks just because it isn't a yellow pilsener, but I would easily prefer a budweiser.

1.67/5  rDev -50.4%

12 oz. brown bottle with an annoying gold foil that would not un-wrap for anything! > 16 oz. SA glass

Pours out a solid, clear amber color with what seems to be plenty of carbonation for the task of supporting this overly active white-foam head that has moderate retention and leaves plenty of foam left over.

The aroma is a thin, syruppy malt, earthy whea and corn scent and a tangy, herbal yeast.

The flavor is od butter-toffee malt, cream of corn and wild grains, tangy and bitter wheat....uh, oh...there's that very unpleasant metallic flavor! and it only gets worse. It's really not to bad at first then it just gets bad. The bitter-metallic flavor lingers on and on. 'nuff said.

Light bodied, crispy at first and then it just becomes life-less and thin feeling. The carbonation bite goes away really quick.

Sorry, but this was a drain pour.

1.68/5  rDev -50.1%

Poured a very light see through brown color. Didn't have much of a nose on it, maybe a bit of coffee. The taste reminded me of cold watered down coffee. Mouthfeel was light with not much body at all. I actually refused to finish this in the restaurant. This is the first beer I've ever sent back and I won't be trying this again.

1.84/5  rDev -45.4%

1.84/5  rDev -45.4%

This one is not for me. So bland I was sorry I opened it. With Eliot Ness and Brooklyn Lager so available, this was a mistake. Was not off-putting or horrible, just nothing stood out.

1.9/5  rDev -43.6%

its not the best beer it has a sour taste and i always notice people spit after they drink it at the clubs. I would prefere a pabts blue ribbion or a micky instead of this. it taste ok when lime is added but other then that it has a bull flavor. If anything i would consider this as a last minute beer.

1.92/5  rDev -43%

1.94/5  rDev -42.4%

This beer is bullshit. It's better than Dos Equis, but jesus christ. Family of mine drink this and consider it good, so I thought it was worth a try...I was wrong. This and Dos Equis are enough to make me avoid Mexican beer like the plague. I love Mexican tequilas, mezcals, pretty much anything Mexican, but what the fuck is up with their beers?! It's got a weird taste; bitter but with no pungency. It tastes kind of like dirty pool water with alcohol and carbonation in it. I want to like it for convenience's sake, but my god. I have rarely been this disappointed by a beer. Fuck this; don't purchase.

1.96/5  rDev -41.8%

Appearance
Toffee brown; hard to pour head that levels out quickly; good amount of carbonation; translucent

Smell
Bready/yeasty; a little sour; surprisingly not sweet for it's color; not much there at all

Taste & Mouthfeel
Body is overly carbonated and thin all the way through; there's just a hint of beer flavor at first, but then it's swept away by the carbonation, leaving the ultra thin back end to eliminate any flavorful aftertaste. There's just a hint of caramel sweetness in there, but it tastes like club soda with a dash of Coke and generic beer. I remember this having more character before, so this is pretty surprising how dull it is. The finish is crisp and clean, though I'd like some lingering flavor.

Overall
It's about the lightest tasting darker colored beer I've ever sampled. It's by no means a dark beer and definitely not worth the near $2 I paid for the bottle.

1.96/5  rDev -41.8%

Reviewed 2/25/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark red-brown colored body, with a good sized head, that's slightly off-white, and lasting. Has a Malty aroma. A very malty taste, and has a slightly fizzy palate, but is slightly watery. Has a malty aftertaste.

1.99/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: dunno

Pours dark ruby brown with some weak etched light cream foam. Smells like cheap beer - wheat and grain, some soily yeast and a little bit of sweet malt. Tastes like a brown ale that wherein the yeast was over-taxed and has a real bad ester profile with sweet vanilla and butter flavors. Some nutty character. LIght bodied with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not something I plan to revisit.

just mexican beer with a hint of roastiness and caramel or something, pretty boring beer, but it goes down easy.

Bottle: Poured a clear light brown color beer with a medium bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt is quite boring. Taste of light adjunct base malt with a watery finish. I guess this is better then Corona but still very boring overall. Maybe I would have enjoyed it better sitting on a beach under the sun.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.