Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.com.mx

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Reviews: 973 | Ratings: 3,249
3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a pretty full amber that seems a little too translucent for anything considered to be dark. Lots of carbonation is present with virtually no head. Minimal lacing. I'm slightly dissapointed with the averageness of the appearance of this one

Smell- Caramel is dominant. The malts give of a pretty sweet scent for a lager, but they don't seem thoroughly roasted like one would expect with a dark lager.

Taste- Very malty as one would expect. Caramel and feint chocolate malts are what dominate my palate with this one. It's rather sweet for a lager of this style.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, but nothing too special. Pretty average.

drinkability- I could definetely drink anywhere between one and ten of these and have a good time. That's the logic i use to decide how drinkable a beer is

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

Usually drink this out of the bottle with lime and maybe a little salt/tajin. But for this review I pout into an ungarnished glass.
L - an inch of foamy off-white head on top of clear brown beer with a touch of amber. Lots of little bubbles
S - lots of malt smells, sweet, caramel
T - sweet, sugary caramel, hint of toast, the roasted flavor is like coffee with a ton of cream, it just peeks in through the sweetness, ever so slightly bitter towards the finish.
F - very carbonated, medium, creamy body, perhaps a touch too carbonated but very smooth
O - Why is this beer rated so low? It is a very solid dark lager that more than gets the job done for me. I may in fact start drinking more of these straight without the extra flavors. Only knock I have is that it cost as much her in the states as many very fine craft brews.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Negra Modelo is probably my go-to drink, when I want a beer while eating Mexican food. I actually prefer it over Corona. I think it has better flavor than Corona, but still light feeling on the palate. And obviously it pairs very well with spicy Mexican food. Though, I will say, it's best served with a wedge of lime.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my go-to beer at any Mexican restaurant. I love how this beer is both dark and malty and yet also quite light. The carbonation balances out the dark malts perfectly. It is crisp and easy to drink, but with a pleasant toastiness. Also interesting how this beer is almost single-handedly keeping alive the "Vienna lager" style. All in all, a great beer.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

A- pours thin with small dissapating off white head. Big carbonatino through a brown-ruby body. Great color, bad head.

S- Malt sweetness with some corn hints. Not that strong. some floral hops and toasted banana.

T- Big on the malt bitterness with distinct ethanol notes. Floral hops in the aftertaste. Slight vanilla and toasted bananna. Malty with perhaps a little popcorn. Toasted bread malt. Prevailing bitterness toward the end.

M- good, thin, carbonated, just not that unique.

D- very thin and downable, I'd have another.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Got a 6 of these with the glass. Didn't know what to expect.

This poured a nice dark amber with almost no head, smell is clean, somewhat grassy with a touch of hops. Something totally unheard of in their other more popular beer. Taste is surprisingly refreshing, a malt and hop aroma dominate here. Interestingly enough this is quite a smooth and easy drinking beer.

Not bad at all. I'd visit this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle. An undecipherable (to me) code on the side.

Pours a smooth, dark tea color. A small, tan head sticks the glass. Smell is a pleasant, crisp hop and some roasted, brown sugary maltness. Taste starts out low with that sweet malt, then drifts into a woody, bitter hop. Good body. Feel is cool and lasting. I'd drink a few of these with some good barbocoa..

$7.99 / Six Pack
JR Liquor
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Medium brown body with an inch of frothy white head. An attractive and tasty looking pour.

Smell - Nothing to spectacular about the scent. The malt is evident but the beer doesn't have a very complex aroma. The smell is strong and inviting.

Taste - Malt upon first sip and then moves around the tongue ending with a subtle bitterness. Each taste beckons another. This beer has a tiny sweet flavor to it while maintaining the 'beer' taste that my grandpa's Kingsbury instilled in me as being good.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and enjoyable to the mouth. This is a hard beer to put down because it seems to float down your throat.

~ I picked up this brew because a group of my friends had planned a Mexican theme for a round robin dinner party. A round robin is where a group of couples cook 1 dinner. We started out with appetizers at one couples' house. Then moved on to soup at another, salad at another, the entrée at another and so on. I thought it would good to give this brew a try and I will certainly indulge again.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OK, not a winner. But I try to represent in every style. As far as Mexican macros (is there a Mexican anything else? Sincerely, let me know!) it's better than Pacifico, Corona, etc. Be at the beach or you'll be disappointed

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

This is only example of a vienna lager I've had. It pours a dark brown with the usual lager head. The malt flavors are pretty simple and taste like caramel a little and it has a typical german lager understated/balanced hop flavor. Has a slight taste of yeast which I tend to appreciate so as to know that I'm drinkin' a beer. Decent beer. I don't know how much it is but assuming that it has to compete with other more popular mexican beers, it's dark, and it is a macro, the price is probably reasonable. I'll definitely pick some up the next time I have nachos.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a deep chocolatey brown with a half inch of tan head. Nice rich malty aroma, bready and nutty. The flavor is clean and malty, a nice toasted bread, with some bitterness and hints of hops. A clean finish with light body. This beer is very well made, and highly drinkable, a nice summer alternative to all those yellow beers.

3.86/5  rDev +14.5%

Negra Modelo proves that there are good mass-market mexican beers. I have really enjoyed this beer since my mother showed me it a few years back.

Appearance- Nice dark amber color. Moderate head. Looks pretty sweet.

Smell- Not much of an aroma, nothing bad, but nothing special.

Taste- Nice dark lager taste. Fairly complex, with a mildly sweet finish. Tastes great to me.

Drinkability- I could drink this all night long and often.

Parting thoughts- In Texas this beer is easily availiable, but seems a tad bit too expensive considering how close we are to Mexico. Still, Negra Modelo is well worth the price and should be tried by those who want a good Mexican beer.

3.87/5  rDev +14.8%

Negra Modelo is my Mexican beer of choice, and I think is actually one of the most drinkable dark beers around. Sure, its taste isn't particularly complex, but it is flavorful and interesting, and I've enjoyed this beer frequently as a partner to Mexican and other meals.

Definitely something to choose if you are looking for a very drinkable dark beer, a place to start for folks who are more used to light beer and excellent pairing with meals.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Colorful Copper color with small head that dissipates rather quickly
Smoky toasty aroma with a light and refreshing mouthfeel,kinda thin but enjoyable,nice creaminess, a tinge of caramel to it,not very strong but a highly enjoyable beer....i like this one very much and will have it again and again..a good beer to sit down and relax with

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

A 500 mL glass at a pizzeria in Puerto Vallarta.

A: The lagerbier is an amber color that floats ephemerally between a copper penny and chocolate brown. The lager is rendered opaque as a result of the hues. A small head, surprisingly nonexistent, didn't do much through the glass.

S: The nose lacks some of the chocolate strength that the bottled version has. What remains is a mild grainy aroma that has a noticeable, but not overpowering, roasted aroma.

T: Roasted grains, chocolate and burnt toast define the flavor. The malty base is firm, mildly carbonated, with a strong bready finish. Par for the course, hops really don't add much of a zing, allowing the dark malts to carry the day. By far the most diverse Mexican lager around.

M: The lower carbonation in the draught version allows the roasted flavors to come through with a little more oomph.

D: Very drinkable, possibly my favorite of the trip.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

I didn't know what to expect with this beer and frankly kept my expectations low - boy was I surprised.

The brew pours out a very nice dark-caramel color, not black like the name of the beer would lead you to believe. The head was thin, but strangely, the lacing was noticeable all the way down the bottle - I've never seen anything like it. The smell was the normal hops and barley, but the odor was just slight - just the right amount in my opinion. Mouthfeel was surprising, the dark liquid was thick and felt velvety. The taste is what I walked away with impressed - full and rich - certainly not what I was expecting, but glad I did. Overall, a solid beer (in too small a bottle) I will be glad to partake of again.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a light brown with a fizzy head. Smells of roasted malts and maybe a bit of coffee. Taste is the same, nice malty sweetness with a bit of coffee and cocoa. A slight bit of hops rounds things out. The beer is a bit too thin for my tastes but is a good sessionable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

When I am south of the border the "Black Model" is my beer of choice. It is the only dark beer I have ever had lime in and somehow it works - and that always makes me feel like I am on vacation. Solid taste, best dark Mexican beer I've ever had but the closest thing I can recall is Dos Equis Amber. Mouth feel is light and head of beer is pretty weak.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

My favorite Mexican beer--hands down.

The beer poured nicely, with the exact amount of carbonation I would expect from a well-crafted lager, broadly in the Vienna-style (though the label confusingly says "dark ale"). The rocky head faded somewhat a few minutes after the pour, but there was a persistent ring of an off-white trace during the sample.

The wonderful color to this beer is of a dark, transparent bronze. It is a well made lager, and our amigos down south know what they're doing with this product--it kicks the crap out of more mainstream Mexican swill, and gives the drinker something much more to enjoy.

The initial taste was of caramelized, perhaps burnt, malts with a nice and pleasant sweetness, with a good roasty (and faintly chocolate) overtone. The sweetness rotates into a tried-and-true blending of several malts and bittering hops (Saaz?) towards the back of the palette, though the malt sweetness predominates. The mouthfeel is of a medium to full-bodied beer, and it really is a beer crafted with character.

The drinkability factor is high here, and I would recommend this beer to drink paired with spicy chile rellenos over most other south-of-the-border brews.

Gracias!

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

always loved the bottle for this thing. distinctive look, and a nice little thumb notch to boot

A - beer is toasty red in color, I always seem to get a pretty decent head on it that sticks around a while

S - some mixed dark aromas from the toasted grains. not bad

T - great crisp flavor mixed with some toast and caramel tones, some ripe banana hiding in the background as well as it goes down. very slight hop twinge

M - a little bubbly, but also rich and smooth

D - no problem finishing this and a couple more. maybe with some BBQ or a nice fajita spread

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Negra Modelo pours a nice deep mahogany from a 12oz stubby brown glass bottle. Light tan head goes to over two fingers then settles to a nice cap of small firm bubbles which leave bits of lace along the glass wall.

Nose is a pleasant malt with a slight note of alcohol. Palate is a dry toasted malt, a bit of bitter coffee and a smidgen of dark bitter chocolate.

No thin watery beer here, Negra Modelo “Dark Ale” has plenty of good roasted and toasted malt flavor to slake ones craving for a good dark brew.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my old standby in mexican restaraunts, I thouroughly enjoy this one along with Bohemia. The taste is smooth going down, and possibly my favorite dark beer. This is best served with spicy mexican food, or just on a day outside in the heat. not too bad by any means.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

SLast sampled back on 3/3/16 but had this several times in the past, both on tap and in a bottle. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a "CORONA" pint glass.

Aroma is of caramel malts and hint of brown sugar. Taste follows the nose. Goes down very easy. Always very pleased with this brew and probably my most favorite of the Mexican beers.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a tasty beer. It poured a dark red color with a small head that did not last long. The smell was very malty and sweet, quite inviting. The flavor was quite good with a nice strong malt backbone and a pinch of hop bitterness. Reminded me of a watered down double bock in some respects. Anyways it went well with my fish tacos and I would drink this one again if it were available.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

A- So I was expecting a thick creamy head as per the Negra Modelo website, but I didn't even get a layer of foam! The color is a perfectly clear dark amber that has hues of red. There is some mild lacing that brings the score up somewhat but it's pretty "eh" as far as looks go.

S- Overall fairly mild aromas but what I do smell is primarily toffee like malts and possibly some melted brown sugar. It is slightly toasty and slightly of dark ripe fruit...plum like. Hops are very subdued and don't really make any impact.

T- Reasonably similar to the aroma, but with some yeasty qualities added. The malts are really strong at first, but then gets slightly citrus like on the finish. The hops are non-existent but the beer tastes really good in general.

M- It's fairly light bodied but is extremely smooth on the palate, with rich and plentiful, however fine, carbonation. The warmth of the flavors give it a desert like feel that is not unwelcome.

D- With the cold weather coming on, this is an ideal beer to consume. The alcohol is well hidden and would be great to enjoy over an evening....with friends or while watching the tube at home. I recommend this one and think is one of the best Mexican beers out there!

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.