León | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

LeónLeón

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
gmodelo.mx

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 02-02-2003

4.75/5  rDev +50.3%

4.35/5  rDev +37.7%

Probably one of my best beers here. The lager is in, but with a different taste. Montejo and Leon are brewed in another state of Mexico, that makes them different, and without any doubt, the original owners were a little more interested in fine beers.

4.2/5  rDev +32.9%

I discovered Leon a few years back, and I must say that it is one of the top quality beers that is brewed by the Modelo company. I've had it in can form, on tap, and in bottle form. I had it at my wedding, and I truly think it's a blessing of a beer. I can't think of a lot of mexican beers that have a real good taste and feel to them like this one.

Appearance: The look of this beer varies from time to time I've found. On tap I've had up to a two inch head and a lot of beautiful lacing on a precious quality chalice. On can, you get the usual canned taste of beer--but a quality taste emanating from the type of brew you are drinking as well. On bottle I have had the most variant appearances of this beer. At times it's looked downright gorgeous, with a nice sized head and a delicious taste--and yet at times it's downright fizzled in the case of its head. Nevertheless--more often than not, this beer looks nice. Dark amber and beautiful to behold.

Smell: A rather sweet(not very bitter) aroma of maltiness immediately greets the nose! I can truly say I am pleased!

Taste: Delicious. A dark beer, but not too dark and not overpowering at all. On a beach somewhere, this is the beer you should see people drinking, instead of that GOD awful Corona!

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is certainly present, with a light taste to this beer, though not on the level of a LIGHT beer. Impressive taste and nice aftertaste.

Overall, I'd say that this is a beer I wish they'd import to the US. It's certainly better than Negra Modelo, much more superior to Corona, and a whole host of Mexican beers--which are usually not too impressive to begin with.

4.11/5  rDev +30.1%

This is a nice Mexican beer. I had it while in Quintana Roo. Solid amber color, nice balance in the taste, and very drinkable. I am surprised this is not a more popular beer in Mexico.

4.1/5  rDev +29.7%

a full bodied beer , munich dunkel lager style, its beer style in this site is wrong, is not a marzen oktoberfest; special beer for a southeastern mexican food, like a cochinita pibil, motulenian eggs, papadzules, etc; its appearance in light dark made this beer one of my favorites from Grupo Modelo; drinkability is over the average, try with german cuisine; 95% recommended.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours a clear almost amber color with a smallish bubbly white head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lace. Wow there is something in the aroma here other than corn and hops! Darker malts may actually be present here. Sweet malty aroma gives some hints of caramel, and lightly toasted bread. Taste is malty and a little sweet with hints of caramel and cocoa. Very little if any hops are found in this brew. Light body, heavy level of carbonation, syrupy/watery mouthfeel. One of the better Mexican beers.

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 355mL can into a cool Mexican goblet.

Appearance: medium brown hue with a haze-free body and a thin finger of frothy tan foam which didn't stick around too long. The color is beautiful, though.

Smell: caramelly, nutty malt aroma which is nonetheless not too sweet. Hop aroma is quite light but noble in character. Not bad at all.

Taste: nice malty flavor with a character which is not necessarily chocolatey or roasty but is definitely that of a dark beer; perhaps it's the deep caramel character. Bitterness and hop flavor are both low but certainly within the style. Now, I am partial to Mexican dark lagers, but this beer just rubs me the right way.

Mouthfeel: light body with a pretty big carbonation. Creaminess is good, if a bit too evanescent.

Overall: granted that any Mexican beer is in its element when sipped in high heat with the surf pounding in the background, this beer is still objectively tasty and highly drinkable. I forsee myself having a lot more of this.

3.88/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours an ivory head settling over clear medium amber liquid. Sweet malty nose with a hint of caramel. Malty sweetness carries thru on the palate, sort of in the Vienna or Marzen style...sweet, with a light toasted background. Finishes subtly bittersweet as it warms up. Not the worst Mex beer I've drank.

3.85/5  rDev +21.8%

Day 6 Mexico!

A: Nice dark carmel color with the best head retention Ive seen yet here, 1/4" Thich foamy nice clinging to glass.

S: Rich malts blast the nose some other sweet carmelish notes.

T: The best one yet, wish they had this is the US. Malty rich tiny bubbles washing the palate.

M: Light and refreshing, much better than a Corona.

D: Very much so if you are in Mexico get some Leon.

3.83/5  rDev +21.2%

Well, things do change. That or my memories are not up to reality.
I used to drink this beer some 25 years ago, at least for a brief time.
I clearly remember a darker and unfiltered beer.

Now? Well...

Pours an amber-reddish liquid, with no head and a bit of lacing.

Smells of adjuncts go to your nose, and almost nothing else.

Taste has a little bitterness, some hops and, I have to admit, it's a refreshing concoction.

Mouthfeel is stingy due to some carbonation, and has a dry finish and aftertaste.

I can have some more, especially with some spicy and hot Yucatán food.

3.8/5  rDev +20.3%

I enjoyed this brew in a little cafe outside the Mayan Ruins of Tulum Mexico.
Pours a clear almost amber color with a smallish bubbly white head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lace. Wow there is something in the aroma here other than corn and dms! Darker malts may actually be present here. Sweet malty aroma gives some hints of caramel, and lightly toasted bread. Taste is malty and a little sweet with hints of caramel and cocoa. Very little if any hops are found in this brew. Light body, heavy level of carbonation, syrupy/watery mouthfeel. I think I enjoyed this most out of all the light lagers I had on my trip. Or maybe it was the searing heat and the thirst I worked up climbing around the ruins for half the day. This is definitely not a Munich Dunkel, but I enjoyed several of these before sailing away.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +18%

Pours a medium yellowish amber color, clear, with about one finger of off-white head. Head fades fast, but leaves decent lacing.

Smells of toasted malts, lager yeast, and lightly spicy hops. Pretty nice, actually, though it has a hint of adjunct lagery smell that I don't really like.

Taste is better than I expected. Some nutty toasted malts, a bit of brown sugar. Quite smooth and mellow. Biggest downside is that the flavor is a little weak.

Medium-bodied, with less carbonation than I'd like. Has a slightly syrupy texture, coating the tongue. Pretty good.

Probably the best surprise among the Mexican beers I've tried. I like it, and given the choices available here (only beers from Mexico's big 2), I'd pick it over everything else.

3.68/5  rDev +16.5%

The Leon pours to a brown/rust color with some red highlights. Has a small to medium head that breaks down quite rapidly leaving some lacing down the side of the glass but not much, thin wisps. Has a nice aroma to it, probably the nicest smelling Mexican brew I have had to date, has a nice malt scent with no real hop aroma. Malt dominates the taste, with a very rich malt flavor that might be accentuated by the warm weather. Can notice a little hop taste along with the carbonation, which gives it a slight bite at most. Also notice a slight metallic taste, but it is hard to pick up. Overall this is my favorite Mexican brew that I have had, has some character which made it feel like you where not drinking carbonated water and was still light enough to drink while in the warm weather. I have not seen this back home but will have to see if I can track it down while at out local Mexican restaurants.

3.67/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is another dark beer I had in Mexico. This like dark modelo, is so much better than corona. This has some sweetness from dark malt, caramel and toffee notes too.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.51/5  rDev +11.1%

This Mexican "Munich Style" Lager really is reminiscent of the Vienna Style. The rich amber color is a pleasant sight. The malty body is smooth and rounded. Could use more hops and the aroma is on the mild side. IMHO, this Leon the best Mexican beer available, including Negra Modela. A well crafted satisfying brew!

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

León from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.