Modelo Especial Chelada | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

poor
Modelo Especial CheladaModelo Especial Chelada

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.55/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

He keeps crediting me in his reviews as the creator of The CANQuest (TM), but my local, in-person trader, tone77, keeps bringing me all kinds of new and different CANs for review, so he deserves as much credit as I do.

From the CAN: "With the refreshing flavors of tomato, salt and lime"; "An authentic blend of Modelo Especial iwth the refreshing flavors of tomato, salt and lime. Just open and enjoy."

I will cop to a certain amount of trepidation, following the mess that Bud Light produced with their Chelada line, but this is a MexiCAN tradition and this beer is MexiCAN, so if they CAN't get it right, who CAN?

The Crack! from this 24-fl. oz. monster sounded like Godzilla's roar and so the Glug was gentle so as not to awaken the sleeping giant. It did not matter. I had beer for days! Man, it was actually viscous with the presence of the tomato juice really filling it out nicely. The pinkish foam that passed for head was extremely short-lived and I have had pop that produced more and longer-lasting head. Color was a cloudy deep-pink (SRM = N/A). Nose smelled strongly of tomato juice, but really not in any off-putting way. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, again, partially thanks to the tomato juice. I really liked the commingling of the flavors. The tomato juice and the salt gave it a tasty bite and the lime reinforced the flavor. I found myself wishing for some pepper and maybe some hot sauce to make it just a little more lively. It really was quite refreshing on this humid, rainy evening and so I did not adulterate it so that I could CANduct this review, but I would want to doctor it if I was going to have it again. People are going to laugh, but the gag marathon that I went through with the Bud Light iterations really made this an enjoyable experience by CANparison. Finish was dry and the taste of the tomato juice really lingered, so if that is not your taste, I understand. This certainly has its place and summer is probably it.

This is the best beer I've ever had in my lifetime and I'm 50 years old.

It tastes delicious and let's not forget Negro Modelo, the very unique and wonderful original.

This is the new "Beer." Better than the old beer.

For some of us, pillsner beers have lost their grip. Even Bass Pale Ale has lost it's taste over time... one of my all time favorite beers. This is something new, and bold and different - and it's very good.

It's not V8 as others have suggested... It's beer, but with a very pleasing twist.

I really love this beer and I think it's going to be huge.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the taste of beer anymore. I only like 1 wine.

This is so good to me, I'm drinking one right now at 7:42 in the morning. I really, really like this beer.

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%

1.25/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Modelo Especial Chelada 24oz can

States on the can Refreshing flavors of tomato,salt and lime.

Well it did not remind me of any of these.

Made it through it but knew it would be my last.

If i had read the can a little closer i may of never bought it.

Artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners that came out immediately pale red with a salty diet soda taste. just plain bad.

The Bud version is much better with a little hot sauce and lime plus it is all natural flavors.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.48/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

If your just trying to kickback and relax after a days work and really don't feel like putting your own michelada together, this is the one for you! Good old Especial taste.

2.4/5  rDev -7.7%

Ehh nothing special. Good with Mexican food. Or any other food that pairs well with tomatoes.

1.75/5  rDev -32.7%

2.4/5  rDev -7.7%

3.56/5  rDev +36.9%

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 25 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark golden color with a small white head. The aroma is all tomato with some saltiness. The taste is also tomato and it is heavily carbonated. Not a good beer.

2.13/5  rDev -18.1%

Tomato Juice

My best bud is from Guatemala, and he likes to come over and drink what he calls "chelas". It's basically a slang term probably close to what we would call "cold ones". So I saw this in the fridge at 7-11 while I was on a trip to Chicago, and it reminded me of my bud so I got it. Big mistake.

This beer had an overwhelming taste of tomato juice. I mean the tomato juice taste was so strong that it just overpowered anything else that may have been in there if there was anything else. You might as well have a V-8. The taste is the same. At least with a V-8 it's healthier.

1.86/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of carbonation. Smell is heavily of tomato. Taste is also lots of tomato, a good bit of salt, not pleasant at all. Feels medium bodied and yuck in the mouth and overall, I did not like this beer at all.If it were a 12 oz. serving, I may have been able to finish it, but this was a drain pour.

2.84/5  rDev +9.2%

2.91/5  rDev +11.9%

1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. can
Served in a can glass

It looks like tomato juice mixed with a lager. The head disappeared as fast as I poured it.

It smells like tomato juice.

This taste is as good as good as you want from a bloody beer. The tomato juice dominates the flavor.

Thin and smooth mouthfeel

I am fighting a hangover and wanted a boody Mary. This was close enough.

3.25/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Modelo Especial Chelada has no head, but it does have an opaque, tomato-red, extremely bubbly appearance, and a film left behind on the side of the glass. The aroma is essentially of tomatoes or tomato paste, a faint lime smell, and a bit of light beer coming through. Taste is of tomato juice, a touch of lime, sweetness, and a bit of beer flavor. Mouthfeel is medium and very spritzy. Modelo Especial Chelada finishes semi-dry, easy drinking, and enjoyable. Overall, this is very good, for what it is.

RJT

2.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is hazy yellowish amber in color (an apple cider-like appearance from afar) and has fine particulates floating in suspension along with a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a short white head that rapidly dissipated, leaving only traces of a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of tomato juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of tomato juice and bits of saltiness. It is like a lighter version of a V8, but doesn't taste watery and there are no flavors of adjuncts.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer really surprised me with it's relative drinkability for a chelada - it's not as heavy as a V8, doesn't have any flavors of adjuncts, and isn't watery. This might make for a good hangover recovery beer.

Serving type: can

2.75/5  rDev +5.8%

One of the worst beers I have had and I am usually fair..just no spicyness to it and way too much tomato..stick to the tecate or bud light version..they are all much bette

3.01/5  rDev +15.8%

4.03/5  rDev +55%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

The look poured from a large 24 oz. can is a red, amberish (is that even a word) look with no head. There was some head as I was pouring but it was gone when I was done with the pour.

The smell was something like a piece of tomato with some salt sprinkled on it. And that my friends is a fine snack by itself.

The taste really pops out on this guy. You are going to either love it or hate it. If you like tomato juice in your beer this may be for you, if not watch out because this is beer with tomato juice. I really liked the taste as it has a beer with tomato juice, salt and limes. The flavor to me is pure Mexico!

The feel is pretty light with a bit of a sticky tomato finish to it.

I really wish I could grab a case of 24 of these monster cans, at least while it is our blazing hot summer here in Las Vegas. I like to stir up my own chile, tomato beers but I find it so cool to find one already done up for me. With such a low ABV I could totally (what is up with that old term totally) see myself crushing a lot of these monster cans while I am sweating balls out here in the desert. By the way, I am currently freezing balls here in the desert because, yes folks it does get cold in Las Vegas during the winter. Later folks and cheers to your next beer discovery.

Modelo Especial Chelada from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.