Kayak Kölsch | Lake Superior Brewing Company

Lake Superior Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
lakesuperiorbrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002

2.11/5  rDev -42.3%

This hazy yellow beer throws a good 1 inch head that gives some decent lacing. This brew has got something wrong in the aroma. I get a menthonal like odor. Way off, especially for a Kolsch. IPA or PA might get away with it by saying it has an extreme pine odor, but not this style. Drinking this beer is like drinking diluted Pine Sol. Just not worth it. I don't think I'll waste the space in my stomach with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Non-objectionable, nice ale, not bitter at all. Good taste. Easy drinking, good for a summer beer. I can, and do, enjoy a good Kölsch, and I have been trying the locally-brewed versions. This one, while pleasant enough, is not one I would regularly seek out again. Even within the Kölsch-style class, just does not have a lot going on.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Originally reviewed April 29, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Slightly hazy rich golden pour, with a full finger of crystal white head, diminishing. Aroma of terse hops and esters. I’m having problems with this brewer’s beers tasting like stryofoam right off the bat. I’m getting some notes of wheat, hops, and sourness. The finish continues with rubbery esters and then morphs into a mellow lemon wheat. I think that it’s just me. I’m trying to rate this in fairness, beyond the stryofoam. I review beers that might be infected, because if that's what the brewer puts out there, then that's what I'm getting. And especially with this brewery, infection has been a rampant problem. I've had three bottles of this particular style and they've all been the same.

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

A- Light amber gold with a thin head and little activity.

S- Slight sweet smell very faint.

T- Crisp and refreshing, with a light fruit taste. Solid Kolsch taste.

M- Smoth nice thickness in line with the style.

D- Goes down easy I would be surprised if a Kolsch didn't.

On the pour a lightly hazy golden yellow color, the head modest in size, frothy, bright white in color and the lace a nice sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, slightly sweet and buttery, crisp and clean with the start a pleasant sweet malt, top is a bit thin and the finish pleasantly hopped, the acidity mild and the aftertaste dry. A bit thin waisted for me, but I think it would make a nice session beer.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours out a cloudy orange/ golden color, though I expect a kolsch to be a bit clearer, and the head is decent,and white, but very short. Aroma: a bit sharp and unusual, with a good deal of citrus and a touch of sour. There's more going on in the nose, too, that I can't quite describe, but again, not what I expected.
Great hops upfront, very citrusy, with a nice, tasty finish.
Light bodied, crisp, and quite quaffable. At the end, there's a sweet/sour character that clashes a bit on the palate.
A fine enough ale, but I can't shake that they missed the mark a bit if they were brewing a kolsch.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

This beer poured with a clear golden body, with excessive, fizzy large bubbles and almost no head. This was from a fresh six-pack, so I doubt the beer was past its prime.

The aroma is slightly medicinal with some pine notes. Disappointing.

The taste is the best part of this beer with a nice blending of malt and hop notes.

I imagine this beer would be a decent summer light-bodied beer, but I would not go out of my way to purchase it again.

3.37/5  rDev -7.9%

This one pours out a crisp, clear golden color. The white head on top is small and quick to exit. The basic taste/smell is floral hops, its not bad tasting, its just a thin tasting drink. I would imagine it is pretty light too. I havent had too many of this style yet, so i may not be the best person to ask.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on-tap at the Gun Flint in Grand Marais, MN

cellphone notes

appearance: served in a shaker pint, pale golden body, light white crest

smell: grain, lemon, musty

taste: light caramel malt, grain, musty, lemon and honey, bready with notes of light yeast. I'm not a huge kolsch fan and this isn't one of the better ones out there

mouthfeel: light

drinkability: could be sessionable - but i find the grainy finish offputting

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Slightly hazy, peachy-honey hue, smallish white head, soapy, limited spotty lace. Very timid nose with slight citrus notes, hay, frail hops… delicate malt hints. Simile palate, which is appropriate… slight citrus, spice, hay, hint of fruit, malt… nicely done, ideally restrained. Rather clean, leans towards the dry side, refreshing. Medium-light body with minimal carbonation… very fitting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is slightly tart… sweet though… minor bitterness too. In its simplicity is its elegance. This is not an “authentic” Kölsch be it would “hit the spot” on a warm summer day or for a change pace.

Thanks feloniousmonk!

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Poured out an orange/amber color with a small, short-lived head. No lacing.

S - Smelled citrusy and grainy.

T - It was sweet and citrusy. A subtle malt and hop blend, too.

M - It was crisp and light-bodied.

D - My initial reaction to this beer was lower, but I tried a couple more and realized it was much better than my first impression.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with just a slight head that quickly disappears. Some bubbles are evident at first but after a few minutes they disappear too.

The smell is fruity sweet.

It tastes fruity sweet as well with just a little diacetyl in the background. The fruit I would describe it tasting like would be grapefruit, lemons, and white grapes. A better tasting Kolsch. It has a light mouthfeel but the lack of carbonation really hurts its drinkability. Maybe I had an old bottle but I enjoyed enough of the beer to give it another try in the summer when a beer like this would be better appreciated.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a golden hue but with some suggestion of orange. Head is about 1 finger and fades to a thin layer, but lasts throughout. Lacing is good. I think my assesment may be a bit off, as I dont have proper glassware.

The smell is slightly of hops with a surprising number of citrus notes.

The initial taste has some hops, but the finish malt. There are some subtlties here, but I must confess, I'm at a loss for what exactly they were.

Nice mouthfeel, not overcarbonated, not too thin, or too thick.

I could see having 1 or 2 of these, much like everything else LSBC makes, it's very approachable, not overly challenging (which is fine IMO). All in all, a decent effort, I'll need to try some others in this category before determining how it compares.

Kayak Kölsch from Lake Superior Brewing Company