Kayak Kölsch | Lake Superior Brewing Company

Lake Superior Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
lakesuperiorbrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002

This is good beer, y'all. I'm a fan of this style - the fact that wheat beers are not high on my list of favorites makes the kolsch style a good pick in my book if you want German pale ale, and of the kolsches I've had, I like Kayak the best so far.

I get up to Duluth a fair amount, and I generally pick a Kayak as the first beer I have when I'm up there. It's readily available elsewhere, but I save it for the north country.

This is a straightforward brew - pale, uncomplicated and with a citrus tang on the finish, but the middle of a drink of it is nicely full-bodied. You can have three of them in a row, and each time, you'll know you're having a good beer, but not be overwhelmed with too much action going on.

My favorite by far from this brewer. I snowshoed into some backcountry up northwest of Finland, MN last winter, and I had three Kayaks in my pack. I stuck 'em in a snowbank while we got a fire going, and MAN, was that some good beer. I recommend that approach, but it's good any time.

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Non-objectionable, nice ale, not bitter at all. Good taste. Easy drinking, good for a summer beer. I can, and do, enjoy a good Kölsch, and I have been trying the locally-brewed versions. This one, while pleasant enough, is not one I would regularly seek out again. Even within the Kölsch-style class, just does not have a lot going on.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sester stange. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine one finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, clove, light wheat. Flavor is light sweet malt, wheat, clove, light lemon citrus; finishes with sweet wheat and light close, a hint of hop bitterness. Light bodied. A nice, refreshing kolsch style ale with the approprate light malt and spicing. Perhaps a bit sweeter and clove spicy than traditional, but still enjoyable and pleasant.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%