Kayak Kölsch | Lake Superior Brewing Company

Lake Superior Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States
lakesuperiorbrewing.com

Style: Kölsch

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 124
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

12/11/04
I've decided to update this, as I had forgotten that I'd reviewed this already. I agree with much of the first review, except on this serving I found I enjoyed the sourness more than previously and also concluded that that very quality made it a nice summer drink. Thus, I've raised the scores some too.

Aroma is initially a light sweet malt that quickly turns to a more sour quality, leveling off with a hop floweriness mixed with the sourness. Darker golden color and clear. Smallish head but decent stamina. Light in overall flavor. Mix has similar qualites of the aroma, that being a base of malt surrounded by the slight sourness and a shot of bitterness from the hops. Probably a little too sour. For an ale I find it lacks enough combination of smoothness and creaminess this style often entails, containing only some smoothness. Overall an average beer. I think a little too sour and bitter for style, and that prevents it from being a nice summer ale too.

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Slightly hazy, peachy-honey hue, smallish white head, soapy, limited spotty lace. Very timid nose with slight citrus notes, hay, frail hops… delicate malt hints. Simile palate, which is appropriate… slight citrus, spice, hay, hint of fruit, malt… nicely done, ideally restrained. Rather clean, leans towards the dry side, refreshing. Medium-light body with minimal carbonation… very fitting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is slightly tart… sweet though… minor bitterness too. In its simplicity is its elegance. This is not an “authentic” Kölsch be it would “hit the spot” on a warm summer day or for a change pace.

Thanks feloniousmonk!

On the pour a lightly hazy golden yellow color, the head modest in size, frothy, bright white in color and the lace a nice sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, slightly sweet and buttery, crisp and clean with the start a pleasant sweet malt, top is a bit thin and the finish pleasantly hopped, the acidity mild and the aftertaste dry. A bit thin waisted for me, but I think it would make a nice session beer.

3.27/5  rDev -10.7%

This beer poured with a clear golden body, with excessive, fizzy large bubbles and almost no head. This was from a fresh six-pack, so I doubt the beer was past its prime.

The aroma is slightly medicinal with some pine notes. Disappointing.

The taste is the best part of this beer with a nice blending of malt and hop notes.

I imagine this beer would be a decent summer light-bodied beer, but I would not go out of my way to purchase it again.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours out a cloudy orange/ golden color, though I expect a kolsch to be a bit clearer, and the head is decent,and white, but very short. Aroma: a bit sharp and unusual, with a good deal of citrus and a touch of sour. There's more going on in the nose, too, that I can't quite describe, but again, not what I expected.
Great hops upfront, very citrusy, with a nice, tasty finish.
Light bodied, crisp, and quite quaffable. At the end, there's a sweet/sour character that clashes a bit on the palate.
A fine enough ale, but I can't shake that they missed the mark a bit if they were brewing a kolsch.

2.11/5  rDev -42.3%

This hazy yellow beer throws a good 1 inch head that gives some decent lacing. This brew has got something wrong in the aroma. I get a menthonal like odor. Way off, especially for a Kolsch. IPA or PA might get away with it by saying it has an extreme pine odor, but not this style. Drinking this beer is like drinking diluted Pine Sol. Just not worth it. I don't think I'll waste the space in my stomach with this one.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Pale straw color, aroma is mild but fresh. Very fleeting and delicate flavor, even for this style. But, retains mouthfeel very well. This is pretty drinkable when I'm in the mood for subtle malt thirst quenching.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last