Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Big Sky IPA | Big Sky Brewing Company

Big Sky Brewing Company
Montana, United States
bigskybrew.com

Style: American IPA

In Montana, many classic memories are made right after someone says, “Hold my beer and watch this.” These bold, assertive moments deserve a bold, assertive beer – Big Sky IPA. A distinct hop presence and malty backbone will leave you refreshed and ready for your moment of glory. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

Added by beernut7 on 08-18-2002

3.8

Ratings: 1,178 |  Reviews: 476
3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 4-20-16.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, copper color with less than one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, medium carbonation, there is moderate lacing on the glass.

SMELL: initially sweet caramel and bread then a metallic pine note and some grapefruit citrus.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel then a very bitter hop blast that is metallic pine with some grapefruit, the bitterness really lingers.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this reminds me of an English bitter more than an American IPA, I must admit I do not appreciate the metallic note and my score reflects this, this is not a terrible beer but not what I prefer from the style so I will not seek this one out again.

3.31/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

Big Sky IPA.

As always with any review night I need my expected hop fix. Big Sky hasn't overly impressed me as of yet but they sure have disappointed me nor given me a reason to stop trying their beers so there is always room to earn a new lifer. Not sure what to expect here but I am hoping for the best.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. This brew pours a deeper shade of amber that manages to keep its crystal clear clarity with a two finger, slightly off white head that dies down to a mountain range amongst the top of the swill. Heh how fitting for a beer from Montana. Carbonation is on about moderate. Some stick remains but it isn't much.

Smell - Restrained bitter grapefruit piths start of the nose on a high note along side some obvious melon with a moderate dosage of malt to round things out. Almost smells session like with more of a balance and juicy aspect that should ensure it gets a good bit of balance in the taste profile. Not too big of a nose, but welcoming.

Taste - Woahhhhh lord Satan in the promised land of unheilig hell is this guy bitter. Super fresh tropical fruit juices here but the flavor isn't overwhelming with any one over the other but the bitterness is über high. Malt is there in the back ground to present a nice balancing act. Sweetness also joins the fray but it is neither cloyingly so nor overpowering and surely wouldn't prevent you from drinking more than one of these. All fruity and bitter from where I'm sitting Captain.

Feel - The feel is rather full though the body itself stays quite light but it depends on how big a drink you take to let sit around and collect welfare. Bitterness actually tones down a bit and it is highly creamy likely due to the well retained cap amongst the top of the swill. Swallows exceptionally bitter with no surprise given the flavor profile.

Overall - A very solid ipa with a nice flavor that fans of higher IBU brews will enjoy thoroughly. Admittedly didn't expect the bitter for the lower alcohol content but for me it was a nice surprise. I could easily throw down a sixer of this and this is probably my favorite big sky brew thus far. As always try it for yourself and come to your own conclusion!.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This was on sale so I picked up a sixer. The nose is of caramel malts and a kiss of lemon and orange. The appearance is golden amber and slightly opaque. The head was about 2 fingers upon initial pour with minimal lacing. The taste is outstanding. This one borders more on the side of an English IPA to me, but over all a very pleasant flavor of roasty caramel malts and a moderate bitterness that is well balanced and lingers on the back of the tongue just briefly. The mouth feel is slightly thin and over-carbed for me - but I still enjoyed this beer a lot. Overall, this is a high quality brew. I needed a break from hop-bomb West Coast IPAs and this was just what the doctor ordered. Highly sessionable. I would absolutely buy this again anytime I am in the mood for a more malt forward IPA.

3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

01/8/12:
Bottle from SS to pint glass.

Sweet Fruity Aroma. Nice Caramel Red Brown Color. Nice flavor, with a bitter finish, but not unpleasant. Medium carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a dark copper color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated very quickly.
The lacing was stringy and thin.
The smell had a big caramel maltiness leading into some toast and toffee and then escaping into some floral and grassy hops.
The taste was malty sweet with the floral tones trying to make an effort to balance, but they gently slide back into the background. There's a lingering sweet malty aftertaste leading into a sticky finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionable feel to it. Carbonation runs nice on my tongue allowing the sticky caramel malts to cling to my tongue a bit more than a normal AIPA.
Overall, for me, I don't mind it, but as a said American styled IPA, I'd have to beg to differ. Maybe if it was labeled an English IPA on here, it would do the beer its due service.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.87/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Description: Amber, almost red color with just a think white head. As for aroma, well, it's not what I expected. Initially I found some pine but that gave way to a somewhat fruity scent. It wasn't exactly sweet though, more on the lemon, acidic end of the spectrum and had almost an ammonia-like smell. To be perfectly honest...it kind of smelled like pee. I thought my nose was off or I was imagining things, so without telling my wife what I smelled, I asked her to take a whiff. Her independent conclusion?: "Um, it kind of smells like pee". It wasn't overwhelming but it was definitely there. Fortunately it didn't taste like pee, not that I know what pee tastes like. It was more bitter than sweet and I didn't pick up any pine or fruit. On the maltier side for an IPA and left an aftertaste that lingered.

Suggested food pairing: Meatloaf, meatloaf, double beatloaf

If you like this beer then you should also try: Inversion IPA

Ideal time to drink this beer: At a rodeo, state fair or other event where livestock are present. This will allow the urine bouquet to be masked by other even more offensive animal odors.

Overall: 3.25 (This beer is below average and I would not drink it again) The principal reason I drank this beer in the first place is that I looked at it on the shelf and thought, "Huh? Never had a beer from Montana before." If it weren't for the questionable aroma it would have been better but still not that good. It could certainly have been worse, but it's run of the mill at best.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a light auburn with cream white head that becomes thing quickly. Smell is thin... hard to pin point (not allot there). For an IPA it has a rather malty complex to it... and a flatter than usual hop profile ( not a good representative of the style but... actually quite tasty ). has subtle pine taste and light (very light) tangerine and other citrus notes.... and.... Butter? Feels refreshing with a medium carbonation and a over all refreshing IPA.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%