Big Sky IPA | Big Sky Brewing Company

Big Sky Brewing Company
Montana, United States
bigskybrew.com

Style: American IPA

In Montana, many classic memories are made right after someone says, “Hold my beer and watch this.” These bold, assertive moments deserve a bold, assertive beer – Big Sky IPA. A distinct hop presence and malty backbone will leave you refreshed and ready for your moment of glory. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

Added by beernut7 on 08-18-2002

3.8

Ratings: 1,177 |  Reviews: 476

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A – Very nice appearance. Tones of orange, rouge, ruby, chestnut…in direct light it is a nice yellow-orange. The head looks great too, it’s got a nice beige/off-white head that just looks delicious. You can tell this is going to be hoppy and wonderful.

S – The nose is just totally awesome, which is a very pleasant surprise. It has a load of juicy, citrus, fruity, almost tropical hops in the nose with a slight touch of funk that just smells so resinous and delightful. Also, this just seems like straight hoppy goodness, with a lack of caramel malt which is very refreshing and exactly what I want right now.

T – Oh my gosh, what a delightful surprise! Obviously the nose is great, and the smell is lovely, but the taste seems to outdo both of them. I don’t know why this has received such mediocre reviews, because this beer is truly delicious. Complexly flavored, hopptastic, slightly bitter on the finish, citrusy on the palate with some malt in there as well but it all is SO WELL BALANCED. I can’t even get over it. Now, I’m a man who appreciates a hop-bomb, but this is just so well orchestrated it is almost making me think the hop bombs are somewhat overly ambitious. This beer was crafted so well…wow, each sip is a new profile of flavors. Just so, so good.

M – Luscious and somewhat sticky allowing it to stay on the palate for a little bit longer. Just marvelous. Everything about this is amazing. The mouthfeel is definitely bigger in body and it just compliments the experience so well. Not heavy, both light and big.

O – Just such a pleasure. I keep getting reminded what a novice I am. I have had this in my fridge for a while and I was just judging the shit out of it every time I looked at it: “who do you think you are, Big Sky I.P.A.? You look like some mediocre nonsense.” I am just dumb. The bottle has nothing to do with what’s inside and upon some further research the Big Sky Brewery is supposedly very good. Well, whatever, in any case, this beer is awesome, and I look forward to having much more and trying many more brews from this brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, can't find a bottled date. This pours an amber color with a mid sized off white head which leaves a lacing. The smells are of citrus hops and caramel malts. The feel is medium. The taste is pretty good, a nice amount of hop bite followed by some caramel.

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%