Railbender Ale | Erie Brewing Co.

good
Railbender AleRailbender Ale

Erie Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
eriebrewingco.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Erie Brewing Company flagship beer features a deep malt flavor, caramel sweetness lingering in a soft hop flavor. Dark Amber.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2001

Erie Brewing Company - Railbender Ale Scottish Style Ale 6.8% ABV. 26 IBU's

Look: Light copper/orangish with a ultra thin white head. It is slightly hazey and translucent. If you put your hand behind it you will only see the a shadowy outline of your hand.
Smell: Sweet caramel, sweet malty, raisins, grapes, sort of reminds me of grape wine slightly.
Taste: The taste is very much in line with the smell. Sweet and malty, caramel, raisins, grape and once the alcohol hits maybe a bit of a rum flavor. Then there is a slight hop bite on the back end that is dry.
Feel: The feel is not too light at all. It is smooth and milky with alot of fast carbonation. A ton of tiny bubbles.
Overall: This is pretty much my definition of a good Scotch ale. I haven't had any that I like better than this one. I bought a six pack of this at the Giant Eagle in Homestead and it turned out to have gone bad. It didn't have any dates on it and I wondered why. I tried to get my money back and the lady at Giant Eagle customer service told me she couldn't give me anything for it because of P.A. liqour laws. I am pretty sure this is a load of horse manure. Anyways, I emailed the people at Erie Brewing and they fixed my up really nicely. They said Ken from Vecenie distributers would like to give me a new six pack in exchange for my skanked sixer. They did so and the new six pack had the some old taste I have come to know and love. It just goes to show Erie Brewing is good for their word and will mend any problems related to their product. Faith restored, Cheers,

Craiger

4.94/5  rDev +36.8%

Absolutely love it. Reminds me of Firstone-Walker double barrel ale.

4.9/5  rDev +35.7%

4.89/5  rDev +35.5%

This is one of the BEST ales I've tasted in years! It was smooth, rich tasting with a lingering sweetness which made me want more. It is a perfect blend in my opinion. Although 6.8%, it has no bite! For me it went very well with a nice dinner meal or as a stand-alone ale. No true ale drinker will be disappointed with Railbender' Ale. I love it!

4.8/5  rDev +33%

A great beer possibly my favorite

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-
One finger head that fades fast into a light ring on the edge
Light brown / copper in color with a decent, constint stream of carbonation bubbles.

S;
Roasted Malts right away with nutty and toffee not far behind. Roasted smell lingers in my nose as I go to take my first sip

T;
Almost spot on to the smell just more of it. The roasted smell makes no attempt to blend in. The nutty that I got in the smell trails behind and starts to blend in more towards the back of my palate in which it meets up with a hint of wood. No alchol and really no lacing on the glass...none that sticks around long anyway.

M;
nicely heavy but still smooth making it easy to drink...on a dangerous level.

O;
I find this to be a fantastic ale. Has made me decide to seek out more scotch ales. I love the complexity while still having a high drink ability.

4.73/5  rDev +31%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +26.3%

Railbender Ale from Erie Brewing Co.