Mad Anthony's American Pale Ale | Erie Brewing Co.

Mad Anthony's American Pale AleMad Anthony's American Pale Ale
3.43/5
Mad Anthony's American Pale AleMad Anthony's American Pale Ale

Erie Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
eriebrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by aaronh on 10-06-2002

3.7

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A lighter orange and copper color, with a moderate head and scant raindrop lacing around the top of the glass.

Smell: Unfortunately, there's not a ton of complexity here, but the hops are certainly evident, with a cannabis aroma that I like when it warms, though I'm not sure what they're using.

Taste: I feel like the fruitiness of the malt wants to come out here more than it does, but the hops end up being the main culprit here for flavor. There are hints of some darker fruits, but again, the kind of cannabis-esque wet hop flavor comes in and dominates, though it's not overpowering, and lingers somewhat at the end.

Mouthfeel: Lighter to medium bodied, with moderate carbonation, and a nice back-end burst to fulfill the bitterness from the hops.

Drinkability: This is more than your average lawnmower brew, but I think this would be an adequate session beer for such an event, one without a ton of complexity but still enough flavor to keep you coming back to the style.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to adamharbaugh for this 12 oz bottle.

A: The pale ale is a golden copper color, clear except for the stream of carbonation in the center of the glass. Not much head is left from the 1 finger on pour.

S: Hoppiness is upfront, citrusy but in a restrained manner. Malts follow with grains and some diacetyl butteriness. The beer has a fruity flavor that I want to attribute to ringwood.

T: The hops from the nose lash out at the front of the beer, earthy with a grassy element. They don't last long though before being subsumed by the malts. Toffee and caramel are strong and, as the ale warms, even move to the forefront of the beer. The buttery flavors that I picked up in the nose continues. The malt flavor and disappearing act that the hops do makes me view this as more English than American.

M: The mouthfeel shows off hops, malts and a ringwood-like flavor that I refuse to rule out.

D: The ale is moderately quaffable. The buttery toffee malt flavor gets to be a little much at times.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, slightly orange copper color, with little head retention; though there was nice lacing left on the glass. A hint of hops (is all) in the nose. Remember the old adage about being "too rich or too thin?" My first thought upon tasting this beer was "smooth." Extremely smooth and balanced. Decent mouthfeel, but (as with the Pilsner) just not enough taste here. The smoothness, in this case, is due to a somewhat bland taste profile that, while there is a hint of fruity hops and a slightly "cooked veggie" malt flavor, just never really reaches out and grabs you with any complexity. That said, a very drinkable beer. But perhaps not as enjoyable as some other APAs.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours an amber/orange with a small head that quickly fades. Medium carbonation. Great smell. Hop aromas with some fruity notes, possibly citrus. Taste has a definite ale note, but is otherwise surprisingly bland - even for a pale ale. Very thin feel as one would expect. I can't say the beer was bad, it wasn't; it just wasn't anything great. I was given this bottle so I can't complain. May be a nice summer or hot weather brew.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a nice golden yellow. Crystal clear with a small tight white head. Had a strong earthy smell, musty perhaps. Tasted OK. Had a lingering bitterness that wasn't too pleasent. Had mod. carb. Overall not too bad. It's not my favorite APA, but it is very drinkable.

Reviewed 5/22/09
Last of the Erie Brewing mixed 6 pack. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz pint glass. Firm pour fails to conjure the massive stick head that I long for. However the MA does deliver a bit of spotty lace. Color is a orange amber, clear with no sediment or floaties.

Nose- Initially envisioned this as some sort of a hop bomb. Nose is subdued contrary to my initial expectation. Hops are still present, notes of orange and various other citrus. However it is the caramel tones that really dominate the nose.

Palate- Caramel, as per nose, really shows through in the initial flavor profile. Slightly sweet then spicy with a bit of a floral quality about it. Hops present themselves later in the profile, over ripe orange, and lightly bitter bite in the finish. Finish is long and pleasant adding a bit complexity.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, active carbonation, dry.

Drinkability- highly session-able, doesnt become heavy or cloying after multiple.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer poured an orange-tinted light copper with a small head. The smell is mostly sweet malt with a bit of yeasty bread character and a tiny bit of spicy hops. The taste starts off with bready malt that gives way to slightly spicy and piney hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is slightly thick and smooth with some moderate carbonation. I didn't have any trouble drinking this beer, but I'm not sure I'd reach for another right away.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Pours a light golden copper with small white cap, which quickly falls to a thin ring. Some carbonation is visible, no lacing to speak of.

S - Subtle floral aroma, with some citrus and biscuity malts.

T - Light caramel malts flavor to start, then the hops come in t balance it out nicely. Nice light bitter finish

M - Medium-light body, good carbonation.

D - Not a lot to this brew, subtle and unassuming in almost every aspect. Would make a great session beer.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, small pine hops and hints of malt. In the taste, pine hops balanced with an English/ gingerbread like maltiness. A nice hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry pine like hop in the aftertaste. Nice pine hops, almost like an IPA rather than a pale.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Nice light clear yellow hue with a bold fluffy tan head.

S: Tons of malt with just a touch of earty piney hops.

T: Malt forward in taste as well. This one is one of the more malty APA's I have ever tasted. Tons of biscuit malt with a hint of caramel. A touch of pine hops is all there is. If I was not told I would never guess this as an APA.

M: Medium in body with decent carbonation.

D: Considering I am a hop head I don't know why I kind of like this one, but for some reason I do. It is not the best beer in the world by no means, but it is malty, drinkable and good. A very unique APA, if that is what they wanna call it.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

Golden body with just a hint of haze. Fluffy white four finger head.

Aroma is heavy on hay and grass. Earthy.

Lightly sweet beginning on the tongue. Very earthy hop profile. Slight lingering hop aftertaste.

Light-to-medium mouthfeel flows easily.

Easy drinkability, could have three at a seating.

A tasty refreshing pale ale, though as much English as American.

3.42/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev 0%

In the Shadyside of Pittsburgh, PA sits a medium-sized bar and restaurant called Bites & Brews. My wife's brother used to work there, serving up hot panini sandwiches, and from what I hear, he also was slanging some pretty good pizza pies.

The place had a nice atmosphere. I haven't been there in 3 years, but what I do remember is the extensive array of beers on tap and bottle. Bites & Brews is the place where I tried Troegs version of a stout, something I couldn't finish because I was already 5-6 beers in on somebody's India Pale Ale (nothing against Troegs stout, it was very good).

For a few months, I spent a lot of time at Bites & Brews with my brother, Dylan, and a mutual friend, Anthony. All three of us were on a micro-brew kick since our recent trip to New York, where we all had a great time visiting family and discovering the world of better beer. If I remember correctly, I was probably driving into Pittsburgh from California, PA once a week, usually late in the week, nearing the weekend.

The times I couldn't make it out were still involving Dylan and Anthony spending bucks and throwing back beers at Bites & Brews. After a few nights without me, Dylan shared a tale that makes me laugh to this day.

Anthony, our mutual friend that was, at the time, attending the University of Pittsburgh, had recently grown a liking toward a bottled brew called "Mad Anthony's APA (American Pale Ale from Erie Brewing Company, Erie, PA)." He was obviously intrigued by the name, and probably found dark comedy in the fact that he shared the mood included in the title.

Bottle after bottle, Anthony savored a case in 3-4 nights. The slot in the fridge was looking popular as the beer was disappearing. Mad Anthony's APA was a hit! Or was it?

After a few conversations with the bartender, Dylan discovered that our friend, Anthony, was the only one buying Mad Anthony's APA, and the only reason they kept in stock. The myth of it's popularity was exposed, but it didn't make Anthony any bit madder, or maybe we just couldn't notice a difference.

Recently, after seeing the brew at the Beer Store, and then seeing singles of it at my local six-pack shop, I decided to pick one up for nostalgic purposes. I ran up the stairs and evidently shook it up a little because as soon as I popped the bottle the brew started spewing out like it was "mad."

I poured Mad Anthony's APA into my 18-19 oz mug (Yeah, I measured and that's what I came up with) and got a solid head. The brew is a nice cloudy amber. The taste is pretty good. Cloaked hops with minimal bitterness. A good hoppy smell, very healthy lacing, and a medium body. There's not much more that I can say. Bottom line, I approve. Have one yourself, hell, have another! You won't be disappointed.

This story/review was originally posted @ http://thelightonbeer.blogspot.com

3.43/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is slightly hazy copper in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin head that quickly died down but never completely faded away.
S: There are light aromas of toasted malts in the nose along with some hints of citrus hops.
T: The initial taste has some malty sweetness and flavors of caramel; these are effectively balanced off by a slight amount of bitterness towards the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied and a bit watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink and has some refreshing properties.

3.43/5  rDev 0%

Picked this beer up on a recent trip to Ft. Wayne, IN. Although this beer is called 'Mad Anthony' - and there is a brewery of the same name in Ft. Wayne - this beer is actually made in Erie, PA.

Appearance: nice brilliant peach color, light head.
Smell: Citrusy nose; pleasant, but not much else. No real hope aroma to speak of, nor malty nose.
Taste: A nice fruity (grapefruit, oranges) sweetness up front, finishes dry. Well-attenuated.
Mouthfeel: It's probably the best part of an otherwise vaguely run-of-the-mill 'APA'. Although I'm sure hops were used in this beer, more bittering than aromatic, there is a good complex maltiness to this brew that I like. The dry finish, especially, shows me that these guys were pretty thorough in the fermentation process. It shows nicely.
Drinkability: Well, not a beer I would seek out again, but certainly not an offensive beer either. This is the second beer I've had from this brewery, and I imagine that they're just an outfit satisfied to put out 'every day' beers; nothing dazzling, but of good quality. (I must confess, however, as a history geek, I love this label: "Mad" Anthony Wayne was an important military figure in the American Revolution. Perhaps a man with a moniker like that deserves a beer befitting his name - maybe an off-the-wall barley wine?).

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Clear gold with just about a thin layer of white fizzy head, no lacing.
S - Sweet malt, a little lime zest, thats about it.
T - Sugar water with some light hop flavor.
M - Thin, wattery, and sweet.
O - This is just lame, good to session on a hot day I guess, but pass on to other, much much better APA's in the similar price range.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden color. Has minimal aroma of hops a a strong presence of malts. Flavor s biscuit / toasted malts. Very little presence of hops. Has a roasty malt aftertaste. Over all drinks more like a lager than a pale ale, drinkable but not great.

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on draft at the Frisco Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a deep orange gold, with a decent white head.

S- Smells hoppy and inviting, some grain and fruit, possibly apricot.

T- Starts out tasting malty but quickly turns dry, very little fruit in the taste, more hoppy than malty.

M- Loaded with small bubbles, more carbonation than I would like, thin to medium in body.

D- Overall a decent APA, there are better out there, but this one isn't bad.

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Went out on a limb and grabbed this APA from Erie. Only had one other offering from this brewery. Poured into Spieglau IPA glass.

Nice looking pour. About one finger of white bubbly head, minimal lacing. Color is light copper, clear, no cloudiness. The first smell I get is more of a bready, caramel, malty scent. There is definitely a light hop essence as well, slightly citrus and earthy as well. Taste isn't far off from this either. Well balanced bready malts with a solid yet subtle hop backbone. The finish is dry with a nice earthy lingering hoppiness. Medium bodied with some substance; I like that. Overall a nice well balanced ale.

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a clear amber color with a frothy white head, providing spotty lacing. Aroma is very fruity, with hints of yeast and alcohol. Taste is very fruity, with notes of apple, pear, and plum present, along with a sweet malt background...hops nowhere to be found. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, and drinkability suffers only because of the lack of hop presence to balance things out. I will seek this out again, and update.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I am trying a 12 oz bottle, which I poured into a pint glass. Mad Anthony's has a nice golden color with a nice white 1/2" of head on it. It looks like it is lightly carbonated. This beer had a nice aroma of hops; it is not to over powering. The taste of this beer is hoppy, but on the lighter side of the hop scale. Also it tastes lightly carbonated. It would be a great start for someone who isn't a big fan of hops. It is rather smooth and goes down very easy without a bitter after taste. Its taste doesn't linger.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Mad Anthony's American Pale Ale from Erie Brewing Co.