Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Naturtrüb | Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by SheepNutz on 02-24-2001

Ratings: 1,743 |  Reviews: 757

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

Dayton, OH AleFest: As much as I luv German beers, this one was a disappointment as there was nothing all that special about it and it lacked character.On to my rating...small sized white head with fine sized bubbles.The body was clear and it contained some carbonation.The nose was malty, hoppy, citrus and spicy.The flavor was lightly bitter tasting and there were notes of malt and hops.The mouthfeel of this beer was smooth and light bodied.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%

This is a caramel coloured brew ith clarity consistent with the subject. It pours a very slight island lace and glass ring. The body is full.
This is a very sweet brew that does not cut the thirst, it produces it.
This product certainly left me wanting.

2.6/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%

Probably old

2.66/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (produced 12/07):

A: Poured a hazy pale orange with a white head that dissolved fairly quickly. Fair amount of carbonation streaming from bottom of glass.

S: Aroma of a typical wheat beer. Somewhat bready with some citrus.

T: Taste kind of follows aroma, fairly typical wheat, but appears a little watered down and has too much carbonation. Wheat/grain flavor with slight citrus hint. Flavor pretty weak overall.

M/D: Beer had medium body, but as stated above it appeared to be watered down and had too much carbonation. I am not sure if it is due to the fact that it was produced some 7 months ago, but this is an average at best Weisse and would probably not buy again as there are better, but after reading some of the other reviews, it appears that maybe I got a bad bottle, so I may be more willing to try again, either on tap or a bottle.

2.71/5  rDev -33.3%

12oz bottle, 5.5% ABV
Apperance: Nice white rocky head, foamy lace, smooth. Golden wiese color. A little cloudy.

Nose: Lemon, Clean, Wheat.

Taste: Bitter at first, a lot of hops initially on the tounge, the bitterness stays throughout. Not as complex as i thought it would be.

2.72/5  rDev -33%

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

2.79/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance:
Cloudy orange/yellow color. Huge white head with some staying power.

Smell:
A little bit of a fresh, citrusy smell. Not particularly strong.

Taste:
A little sour... somewhat bland. There's a slight bitterness at the end of a sip, but not much at all. Just enough to say it exists.

Mouthfeel:
Carbonation isn't too harsh, but it is slightly watery. Not impressed.

Drinkability:
Again, nothing remarkable. I could drink a lot of these, but there's plenty of other beers I would choose over this one.

N.B. I don't drink hefe weizen's often, but I have had them before, and I recall thinking it was a fairly tasty. This review is of the 2nd of a pair of the same kind I got together. I had thought perhaps something bad had happened to the first one since I didn't think it was particularly good, but the 2nd was the same so... here's my review. :P

Edit: well 2 hrs or so of sipping later, I still had some left in my glass, with no desire to finish it. (Drinkability not so good?)

2.8/5  rDev -31%

Aroma is a bit of citrus and banana woven together. Pretty dead on for style, if not a little muted.

A little bit of banana esters and clove spices are evident at the front of the beer, but they are fairly weak and don't add all that much to the flavor. Carbonation seems fairly high in this beer. There's a sweetness with a bit of an off flavor on the finish, which reminds me a bit of honey. No hops are detected in this beer.

As far as hefe's go, I've definitely had better. I can't color myself impressed with the muted tastes up front and the odd taste in the back.

2.91/5  rDev -28.3%

Had from a tap in a quiet restaurant/bar.

A beautifully inviting cloudy gold color with a half inch of lasting foam.
The smell was light and citrusy and I found the flavor to lack the depth of additional spiciness found in my favorite wheat beers. The carbonation allowed the beer to penetrate the entire mouth very quickly, but the flavors disappeared just as fast after swallowing.
In all, this is a gorgeous beer to stare at. Maybe better left on the table though, and not in your mouth.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

I tried this beer on June 29, 2007 after purchasing it from my local LCBO store. The aroma is slightly pungent with a wheaty punch. The colour is a cloudy peachy colour with a very large white coloured head. The mouthfeel is thick and fuzzy to the cheeks with mild carbonation. The taste is thick and wheaty as well. Not a beer I will go out of my way to try again.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

We did a blind tasting of hefeweizens by Schneider, Weihenstephaner, Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr. Weihenstephaner was a clear winner, while the Hacker-Pschorr was the most disappointing of the bunch.

The best thing about this hefe is its classic appearance, which could almost be a template for all other examples. An aggressive pour results in a wonderful glowing gold liquid, with a large frothy white head that lasted well, and put down some spots of lace. Scent is very mild and underplayed, but typical to the style once it emerges. Its like someone has taken the regular hefeweizen scent of bananas and clove, dialled it back, and added a hint of plastic. Definite room for improvement here.

Sweet banana and grain flavour, with a dose of citrus. There's nothing I can particularly criticise the flavour for, but there's also little that stands out for praising. There's perhaps more of an emphasis on the wheat than usual, and the banana is milder than you'll find in a lot of other weizens, which isn't particularly my preference. Any clove and bubblegum notes are so subtle as to be unnoticeable.The carbonation is definitely more assertive than expected, but manages to err away from harshness, and the softness of the impact produces a nice fuller feel.

The crappy aroma and uninspiring flavour make me feel that this bottle is old, though inspection indicates otherwise. With a lot of hefes freshness is key... I'll probably give this one another go yet.

2.96/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Weisse isn't really my style.

Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Naturtrüb from Hacker-Pschorr Bräu GmbH