CB's Scotch Ale | CB Craft Brewers

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-04-2010

Reviews by degerbah:
1.88/5  rDev -38%

Pours a cloudy red orange with hardly any head at all. The aroma is sickly sweet with a lot of malt and maybe molasses present. Oww, Yuck! This is not the worst tasting beer I've ever had. I don't think it's in the top five. It's definitely in the top ten. The flavor is a malty mess with an extremely sour aftertaste. Aaaand its a drain pour. I can't handle drinking the rest of this.

2.7/5  rDev -10.9%

a - pours light brown with a light head that dies quickly

s - malt and brown sugar. smells just like a scotch ale should.

t - taste is different than i was expecting. that sweetness found in the nose is not in the flavor. its replaced by a watered down malty flavor and a sour streak. pretty sure this got infected. its not an offensive flavor, just not much good.

m - medium to light body. low carbonation. not sure what got into this, but it didn't help the carbonation.

overall - i'd be interested in trying this again once they get their QC problems under wrap.

4.55/5  rDev +50.2%

A- Kind of a cloudy orange/amber color.

S- I can't smell very well

T- I am surprised at some of the reviews this has gotten so far. I find this to be a pretty good beer. Starts out maybe a little watery, but I love the hoppy/sweet flavor combination.

M- Not too heavy, good amount of carbonation

D- I think this is a highly drinkable beer. I could easily sit on my porch and go through a few bottles or a growler of this beer.

As with most beers, it's better on tap. If you can get to Honeoye Falls, I highly recommend it.

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

Review from notes on 4/9/10.

A - Poured a clear, deep coppery amber with a tall, off white bubbly head. Dots of lace here and there. 4.0

S - Rich malts. Estery and lots of caramel. Hint of grapes. There's a hint of metallicness here that I can't determine as an off flavor or if it's meant to be there. 3.5

T - A strange twang of tanginess with maltiness and sweetness. Is it sour as well? We could have sweet and sour chicken! I think they fermented at slightly warmer temperatures than desired, but altogether not bad. The caramel is definitely there. Could be a touch cleaner. 3.5

M - Medium bodied with prickly CO2. Nice. 4.0

D - Very good, easy to quaff. I would get this as a normal everyday type of beer. 4.0

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Got in a locals trade from DmanGTR. Thanks!

A - Slightly hazy amber color very little off white head died quickly.

S - Very malty, slightly bitter. A strange alcohol burn that reminds me of chlorine.

T - The taste was a strange sour at first followed by a light malty touch and ended with the same odd alcohol flavor I noticed in the smell.

M/D - Mouthfeel was on the thin side, slightly watery. I would call this reasonably drinkable, but there are far better available.

3.79/5  rDev +25.1%

Lightly cloudy with a light brown/reddish color. Decent head on pour but does not retain. Decent carbonation on the tongue though. Nice malty nose. Lots of caramel candy and woody aromas. More caramel on the tongue mixed with roasted grain. Thick body but goes down smooth. More, please.

CB's Scotch Ale from CB Craft Brewers