Butte Creek Organic India Pale Ale | Butte Creek Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Butte Creek Organic India Pale AleButte Creek Organic India Pale Ale

Butte Creek Brewing Company
buttecreek.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2002

2.1/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well. Having this one in my hotel room here in Chicago. Nice that they chose an IPA for the room reefer; now if they woulda only chose a good one. Details. Guess you can't have ever thang. Wait a sec - just dawned on me this is a "green hotel" and this beer is ORgaNiC!!! haw.

Nice orangish color. Medium body. Not citrusy at first but in the finish. A bit soapy in head, body, and taste. I'll finish it, but only... aw hell, no I won't either.

2.17/5  rDev -36.9%

Everyone mentions this brewery’s affiliation to Sierra Nevada. Is there a connection further than simple location?

In appearance, this beer is romantic. Unfiltered hazy-peach with a towering, stacked head. Pretty, sure, but beer’s for drinkin’.

And unfortunately the nose here’s got me thinking this won’t be that enjoyable a round of drinkin’. Insanely overzealous/heavy-handed/out-of-place yeast character. Am I in a yeast factory? Other than this intolerable yeastiness, a few meager strains waft out, cracked pepper, spiced hops.

Taste is a horrible cacophony of error; liquid perfume, soap, plastic, turpentine. Eating potpourri. Strong chemical flavor – the irony is not delicious. The gamiest beer I’ve experienced.

2.18/5  rDev -36.6%

Looks like a standard orange/golden IPA - doesn't taste like one.

The overwhelming taste of roasted peanuts gets in the way of anything else I can try to pick out when tasting this beer and makes all other characteristics irrelevant. I suppose the taste is pleasant enough, but it's not what I expect from an IPA.

2.22/5  rDev -35.5%

Appearance: Butte Creek's IPA sits in the glass a beautiful, brilliantly clear pale amber. The finger of dense white foam retains very nicely. Butte Creek has mastered the art of making a nice looking beer. Now they just need to work on aroma, taste and mouthfeel.

Smell: Some uh... malt I guess. Maybe some hops. Cut grass. A bit of caramel sweetness. This is an IPA?

Taste & mouthfeel: Sweet unholy Jesus, I see why this beer has no hop aroma. They decided to dump all of the hops in at the start of the boil. Caramel and a massive bittering hop attack make up the entirety of this beer's flavor profile. If there's anything else to note here, I can't find it. Maybe because the bittering hops have decimated my palate. Yeah, this pretty much sucks.

2.3/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This IPA pours a murky copper color with a small white head.
The aroma is surprisingly malty; caramel malt and a bit of pepper are the dominant smells.
The flavor is also quite malty for an IPA. Notes of Caramel malt and honey are at the beging and it becomes mildly bitter with hops at the finish.
The mouth feel is light and it is a bit under carbonated.
This is not exactly what I am looking for in an American IPA; just too sweet for me.

2.39/5  rDev -30.5%

This stuff looks good. It poured to a nice orange and gold color with a hint of red. The modest head is doing a good job of lasting, and a nice amount of lace tops it off.

Something about this thing's flavor just doesn't sit well with me, however. The mouthfeel is good and full but the flavor it came with is not appealing to me. The drinkability was impacted by an off flavor, not an overwhelming amount of alcohol.

I actually had a little bit of a rough time finishing this one off.

2.4/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours an Orange amber color that is rather cloudy. Off white head about 2 fingers was the result of an aggressive pout. The head disappeared quickly. Pine was the predominate smell followed by a malty sweet aroma.. Decent lacing that also disappeared rather quickly. A medium body beer, Pleasantly hoppy until the finish. A very bitter almost sour aftertaste that did not inspire me to take another sip. The finish was very out of sync with the start. Overall the beer just didn't seem right. I'm sorry that I bought a six pack.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

good beer

not impressed with most organic beers that I have had, this is no different, not a big fan.

this beer was from chico, and I have done a lot of drinking in chico, especially from sierra nevada which is based there.

good beer, not a recommended beer though.

2.51/5  rDev -27%

12 ounce bottle part of a six pack purchased from Cooke's in El Segundo, poured into my Firestone pint glass

A-Golden yellow with some orange highlights, 1/2 inch creamy white head, some retention, minimal lacing
S-Too much malt, some citrus hoppiness, mostly oranges, a little bit of pine as well
T-Too sweet right from the beginning, did not have enough hops to balance this out, some pine in the finish, lemon juice later on as it got sweeter and breadier, really would have liked to see this more dry
M-Sweet, chewy, and bitter mouthfeel, medium body, lingering taste, and not carbonated enough
D-Could drink a good amount but alcohol content is not exactly low for an IPA, heavy for an IPA because of the large amount of malt

Always interesting to try an organic beer and quite cool at the same time, but with that said this did not do it for me, not a good California IPA like I am used to having, would not drink again, would not recommend

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Decided to do a re-review of this, since I believe I had a bad bottle for the original (2008).

12 oz bottle pours a hazed copper color with minscule floaties suspended throughout the beer. The head is masive and long-lasting. Nice lace.

Nose is toasty malt with a mild amount of flowery hops. Meh, smells ok...not great but certainly better than the last time around.

Taste is much better as well with a honey-drizzled, floral hop flavor and a mild bite on the end. The malt is not really to my liking, it alternates sweet/toasty and has a maris otter English feel to it. I still dont like it, but the beer is definitely better than the last time around. Remains a near drain-pour for me.

Original review: (A-2 S-2.5 T-1.5 M-1.5 D-1)
Copper opaque color with tons of suspended brown particles. This does not look appetizing. This bottle could be bad.

Smells like a chocolate malt, an IPA should not smell like this.

Tastes like a chocolate milkshake left outside for an evening. More evidence pointing to a ruined bottle.

Ugh, drain pour. Never again.

2.58/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev -25%

Aroma is quite strong and hoppy with a slight citrus undertone. It pours a nice clear orange-gold amber with a fairly thick off-white head. Flavor is strongly hoppy and quite bitter, but nastily rather than pleasantly so. There is also a tinny tone. I hope this bottle came from a bum batch! Texture is a bit thin and watery, and the finish is nastily bitter and metallic.

2.62/5  rDev -23.8%

A- A nice, hazy orange beer with a great glowing quality. The head is a bit thin, but the retention is great- as is the lacing.

S- Toasted rye bread up front... and just the slightest hop presence on the tail end... which smells kind of like raspberries and flowers. Not like any IPA I have encountered before, but it's not horrible, but not good either.

T- Ah, theres the hops- mostly just a bittering aspect. The flavor is toasty and fruity... Hmm... Not really blending all that well together. The more I got into this, the more I noticed a very irritating and not appealing aftertaste.

M- Kind of a smooth liquid, but very dry and bitter on the tail end.

D- Well, this was just not all that good. Not appealing to me, but at least their pale ale is solid.

2.68/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by largadeer.

A - Pours a clear copper color with a medium white head.

S - Aroma is nail polish, caramel, and some resiny, overboiled hops. Besides the nail polish, it's not too bad.

T - Below average for an IPA, with burnt wood, caramel, resiny hops. A little weird but not too bad. Others were more disgusted by it than I was.

M - Palate a bit watery with medium carbonation.

D - Not so good.

2.69/5  rDev -21.8%

This beer was sitting alone on the shelf, and fit perfectly into the mix-six pack I was filling. I didn't want to break up a full sixer, so I grabbed this one.

The one feature of this beer that really stood out was its smell. It really smelled like a german pilsner, complete with the green glass and sunlight exposure. Normally I kind of like this smell, but its quite off-putting in an IPA. The malt was good but too subtle for the odd hop flavor and aroma.

I'll be sure to try another style from this Chico brewery.

2.71/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a rich honey orange with a decent head.
Smell is hops and honey with some malt in the back. No complexity here.
Taste is hops all over with some wheat/grass presence and a little malt still hiding in the back. No complexity here, either.
Mouthfeel: decent effervescence, medium body. Not smooth. Drinks like a higher alcohol, grown-up brother of their Organic Ale. Unfortunately, not the most favorable comparison.
Drinkability is is ok. This brew is nothing special, just a mid-pack beer. You won't want to pour it out, but after one, I doubt you'll seek it out.

2.72/5  rDev -20.9%

Label states 6.7%

Brother, this is a foamer. Unbelievable – an easy pour produces ALL tan head in a 5” pilsner glass. Have to smell the bottle for a hoppy woody aroma.

Try to take a little pull off the bottle and it fizzes like a sparkler in the ol’ mouth. Hoppy champagne, this stuff.

Glad I only bought one bottle to sample – would have died picking up a sixer of this non-drinkable brew.

This organic stuff is all hype – and probably leaves a carbon footprint bigger than a non-organic.

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Somewhat cloudy orange amber, finger of off-white head that goes down to a thin froth. Smells like a barnyard in which beer is being brewed, which is exactly what is depicted on the label. Sweet malty baby animal smell, but not totally unpleasant.

Consistent with the smell, but disappointing. Maybe this is an off bottle. The hops are really low for an IPA, and the barnyard does not have a lot to compete with it. Some medicinal, bandage notes. Some hops, but not what it should have. If 'organic' always meant 'weird baby animal bacteria' like this, I would avoid that moniker with gusto. I think this bottle is infected with a special funk, I just hope it's not usually like this.

I didn't finish this 12 oz. bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

2.76/5  rDev -19.8%

normally wouldnt review this, but promised i would.

pours a decent looking golden color with about a finger of head. carbonation seems a bit on the artificial side, as the bubbles are rather large. Head fades quickly, almost before i can get my nose down to smell it.
Not too much on the nose, First thing I get is pale malt... a tiny bit of hop, but i have to really dig for it... and thats about it.
Taste is actually a bit of the same. I was told this was fresh as well, but there is no date anywhere on the bottle. clean malt character, with a bit of bitterness, but just seems like a generic bitterness. no citrus, pine, grass... just a hint of bitterness on the finish. Seems like there is a hole in the middle, a bit of sweetness from the malt, then a hole, then the bitter finish. One thing that is quite amazing is that this is very dry... my mouth has become rather parched. Even my teeth feel dry. So strange.
overall this is just an average IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -19.2%

I was at first intrigued by the "organic" nature of this particular IPA, but after I poured it...the intrigue faded.
Poured an average orange/honey color with a decent head...so far, so good.
Can't get any aromas off the top other than malt and some honey (doesn't bode well for a hop-fan).
Tastes smooth...overly malty in my opinion, and very little hop bite or bitterness.
Goes down okay...I finished the bottle, which is a good sign, but I won't have another any time soon.

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours an orange amber with very minimal head and very little carbonation. this next to non existent head gives way to very small film. this smells very sweet with a floral fruity bit to it. mild hops in the nose. whoa! this is not very well balanced! this definitely has to much malt for an IPA. the "caramel" that they speak of on the bottle definitely doesn't help much either. I'm quite disappointed cause I've got a big bottle of a beer I don't really like sitting here now that I feel obligated to finish.

Butte Creek Organic India Pale Ale from Butte Creek Brewing Company