Reality Czeck | Moonlight Brewing Company

moonlightbrewing.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

4.3

Served in a Moonlight glass at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa on 02/06/09. Beautiful opaque golden with a perfect white foamy head. Simply gorgeous in the glass. Wonderful aroma of a romp through some wheatfields, with a subtle but nice fragrance. Crisp toasty breadiness noted on the first sip...like a Triscut cracker. Spot-on crispy hop bitterness in the flavor, with a touch of bitterness in the mouthfeel. Picked up more of the perfume up front in the body. Wonderful melange of crisp cracker breadiness and subtle crisp hopiness. Very honored to have tried this beer...perhaps the best American-made pilsner out there.

Presentation: Sampled on Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, on two separate occasions. The small tap handle simply had the words Reality Czeck on it. Served in a clean sleeve-like drinking vessel with a printed Moonlight symbol on it.

Appearance: The staff at Flavor Bistro knows their shit, and are all obviously well trained for every Pint I had of the Reality Czeck was the perfect pour from the Tap. A hazed yellow body, much more reminiscent of a Belgium Wit than a clean filtered golden Czech Pils; but Brian Hunt would be the first to tell you that he never conforms to styles to minute details. What is in the glass looks absolutely perfect though, a firm whisked egg-white head strays up and out of the top of the glass, last time I saw a head like this I heard the words “Eeets footin Strongarm Man” ring around from the pourer when I questioned it. The longevity of the head is supreme, it does collapse as you work your way through, but only to reveal and equally sexy clumpy covering that laces nicely with dominating and confident rings. Outstanding looks.

Nose: Crisp clean aromas, superlative punctuating fresh lightly hoppy nose with a restrained malt base that allows everything to balance. The Pint reeked of “freshness”; however you want to define that. Background had a lovely cereal husky nature, but this was a perfectly good thing, for me.

Taste: This is where it gets interesting, it had everything and nothing, so hard to describe but I recall, lemon, limes, grass, hop flowers, husky malt grains, firm toasts, citric sharpness with some metallic traits, but just as they should be with a talcum softness in the finish. Everything it needs to be, nothing more, and nothing less. Faultless.

Mouthfeel: Perfection, a firm and never waning medium body has a crisp resilient carbonation that effortlessly scours the plate and allows every last grain (literally) to cross the palate. Soft and purely ground down to a talcum powder texture, the sharpness of the hops and citric nature expand the horizons of the Mouthfeel, far from one-dimensional.

Drinkability: *DEADLY*

Overall: Seems wrong to give a perfect 5.0, but this really *IS* that good. To try to improve it would be like killing the Goose that lays the Golden Egg. On-draft, fresh from the Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, this was Simply Stunning, Exquisite, Dangerously Drinkable and Effortlessly Addictive. Believe the Hype and laugh at Prima Pils. Some slight deviations and variations from the better home-spun Czech Pils style that those anal nit-pickers revel in, I ignore them all, for the simple reason that my first taste of this literally reminded and mentally transported me back to my first trip to (the then) Czechoslovakia. It had me eulogizing about those first half-litres of Pilsner Urquell, StaroBrno, Gambrinus and Budvar that I tried way back in 1991. In that respect, this is where the Reality Czeck wins hands down. Forget my original reason to visit Russian River, sampling the Reality Czech at Flavor Bistro was worth the 900 mile round trip from Long Beach to Santa Rosa just for this alone.

Believe the hype.

Fresh keg, tapped at Zeitgeist in the mission. Bright gold. Goldy gold, the most gold that fucking gold can get in a beer. Perfectly sized and contained head of thick egg cream white foam. Aromas are al that a pils should be, and nothing that a pils shouldn't be. Floral German/US hop varities lend this brew a great aroma of lemon, lime, bread dough, flowers, oranges, and more. The taste is a combination of the aromas but intensified, unified, and perfected. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light with an intense small bubbled carbonation that never let's up lending this brew a perfect drinkability. Insanely drinkable. Refreshing and subtle, yet horribly complex and thought provoking. This is beer.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Reviewed from notes taken on 3/4/06 @ Flavor.

Pours a clear golden color with a fluffy white head. Thick lacing on the glass.

Huge aroma of crisp pils malts and spicy Saaz. I mean, this smells perfect.

Tastes just like it smells, perfect! Super crisp and malty with that delicious Pils malt flavor. There are loads of spicy Saaz that compliment the malts perfectly. It is perfectly balanced and tastes super fresh.

Solid body, slick texture, perfectly carbonated.

This is a beer among beers. I have had some delicious pilsners, but this is special. I am sorry that I wasn't able to bring any back home with me.

[EDIT] I have since learned that no Saaz is used in this beer, rather an unlikely combination of American hops. It's still the best beer I have had to date, and I wish it were more accessible.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is an amazing beer.

All aspects of this beer are good, but the mouthfeel is especially terrific - a warm round melting of lingering hops and light malt.

Extremely drinkable - goes down easy and the complex character of the beer is still very present even after a few drinks.

The flavor and smell are very complex, it is dangerous to try and catagorize this beer.

My only qualm is the lack of head on this beer. I suspect it was the bartender with an improper pour, since I could easily see and taste the heavy carbonation.

All I can say is this is a must try it if you have a chance.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

After having more glasses of this beer than I can count, including two last night, I feel it's time to chime in...

I should start this review by first stating that I generally do not like pilsners. I dig the big beers and like my hops nice and fruity. Before drinking this beer, I had pretty much written off the style as a whole.

Poured at Toronado into a standard pint glass. Golden with a fluffy head, the head dies down. Crystal clarity on this one. Unfiltered eh? Who knew.

The nose is ultra clean floral/grassy spicy hops with a bready malt underneath.

On to the taste. Goes down so smooth and clean with a pronounced hop bite and spicyness with a biscuity malt flavor finishing it off. The hop finish lingers in the best of ways. I finally understand what people are talking about when they say pilsners have a hop bite.

This is arguably, ounce for ounce, the most drinkable beer ever made. The subtley and nuance is staggering. It can be enjoyed by the slow sip or heavy gulp. Refreshing yet refined. Clean yet bold. This beer definitely walks the fine line to achieve the best of all worlds.

I have been a fan of Moonlight since I randomly ordered a Death and Taxes during my first trip to Toronado about two years ago. When I order a moonlight, I expect a beer that is completely unorthodox with no definable style. The devil may care vibe of Moonlight always made it an interesting choice, and never a disappointment. But, unlike I am used to, Reality Czeck is a completely different. This is not a "take" on the pilsner style, it is not an americanized variation or a stylistic homage. It is a straight up Czeck pilsner, just the pinnacle of craft (that I have had so far). There is a refinement to a style I had passed on that makes this beer so damn enjoyable. Extremely versatile, damn delicious, world class.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Everytime I make it to San Francisco, I stop in at Toronado. Everytime I'm at Toronado, I'm sure to grab of pint of Reality Czeck. It brings me joy just knowing that my trip to SF will be blessed with this fine beer and I take comfort in knowing that Toronado always has it on draught.

It pours a strong yellow with a bit of head. The smell is phenomenal - it grabs you with simple flavors of bread and slight citrus. You even get a bit of the malts in the nose. The taste covers it all - simple in it's flavors - crisp and delicious.

Not only the best pilsener, I've ever had - but possibly the best session beer. And I could drink this everyday.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

2 pints on-tap at the Beachwood BBQ, in Seal Beach, CA,

A: Pale, straw, yellow colour, with a medium white head with good retention, above average looking for a pils.

S: Intoxicating Saaz/Noble hop aroma, mixed with baked sourdough bread.

T: Oustanding, first you are hit with delicious bready malt, which is then backed with perfect, floral, Saaz hops bitterness, by far the best pilsner that I've ever had. A true tour de force.

M: Incredibly dry, floral, smooth, and soft - perfect for a pilsner of this type.

D: Incredibly drinkable and smooth, a great pilsner, I could drink this all day, the epitome of a session beer. This is my first beer from Moonlight, and if they are all as good as the pilsner, I'm in for a treat when I can find them. A great beer all-around. The best pilsner in the world.

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%

On-tap

A: Served a dark yellow that wasn’t quite gold with a dense eggshell white head that faded to lace.
S: Crackery malt with some light notes of spicy hops and bread. Not explosive but it smells great.
T: Oh man, this blew me away. I’ve never had a pilsner taste this good (but to be fair I haven’t had a ton of them). It’s creamy, crakery, bready, pale and has a light earthy hop flavor. There is just so much flavor to this and I wasn’t expecting that.
M: Thicker than I thought it would be with a super creamy and soft mouthfeel. There is no bitterness.
O: I went back to this beer again and again throughout the night and would drink this every day if I could. Impressively well done.

EDIT: Had to get a keg of this for my wedding. Everyone loved it and so did I. One of the best pilsners on the market.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on tap this weekend at both the Toronado and Flavor Bistro. Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. The taste is mildly sweet while having an awesome snappy hoppiness to it. It finishes clean without a huge amount of lingering bitterness or sweetness. I remember Prima Pils being somewhat like this but the crispness and refreshing feeling of this brew easily make it the best I've ever tried from the Pilsner category.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

How unfair (or fortunate?) that I should try two outstanding Pilsners in one week - (The other being Victory Prima) I'm going to start having much higher expectations for these Czech Lagers...

The beer poured a nice deep gold with a fluffy, sticky white head. The head died down pretty quickly but left lots of lacing on the glass.

The smell was incredibly inviting - quite a bit hoppier than you'd expect, almost into Pils/IPA territory. Lots of notes of new-mown graaz with a few hints of pine and citrus. As the Redhead observed: "I know what the beer is going to taste like just from the smell" (and right she is)

What struck me as interesting about the taste is that it's quite 'solid', not watered down or thin tasting like many pilsner lagers. Plenty of hops but far from bitter. Mostly Noble but I could swear there are echoes of Cascade or Centennial in there. The malt is a bit more subdued but certainly there enough to provide balance. There are some slightly sweet notes and a wee bit of fruit - I could swear I tasted tangerine in the background.

Mouthfeel is just what it's supposed to be - solid, plenty of effervescence to clean the palate. No oily residue left on the tongue and no overly dry aftertaste. Really the perfect finish on each sip...

As for drinkability - there's no real question. This pilsner may be difficult to find but it's worth the trip. Lunch at Flavor is quite affordable and I've already made a date to go back there in a week (for more Pils)

Reality Czeck from Moonlight Brewing Company