Reality Czeck | Moonlight Brewing Company

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

4.3

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 288

Served in a Moonlight glass at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa on 02/06/09. Beautiful opaque golden with a perfect white foamy head. Simply gorgeous in the glass. Wonderful aroma of a romp through some wheatfields, with a subtle but nice fragrance. Crisp toasty breadiness noted on the first sip...like a Triscut cracker. Spot-on crispy hop bitterness in the flavor, with a touch of bitterness in the mouthfeel. Picked up more of the perfume up front in the body. Wonderful melange of crisp cracker breadiness and subtle crisp hopiness. Very honored to have tried this beer...perhaps the best American-made pilsner out there.

Presentation: Sampled on Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, on two separate occasions. The small tap handle simply had the words Reality Czeck on it. Served in a clean sleeve-like drinking vessel with a printed Moonlight symbol on it.

Appearance: The staff at Flavor Bistro knows their shit, and are all obviously well trained for every Pint I had of the Reality Czeck was the perfect pour from the Tap. A hazed yellow body, much more reminiscent of a Belgium Wit than a clean filtered golden Czech Pils; but Brian Hunt would be the first to tell you that he never conforms to styles to minute details. What is in the glass looks absolutely perfect though, a firm whisked egg-white head strays up and out of the top of the glass, last time I saw a head like this I heard the words “Eeets footin Strongarm Man” ring around from the pourer when I questioned it. The longevity of the head is supreme, it does collapse as you work your way through, but only to reveal and equally sexy clumpy covering that laces nicely with dominating and confident rings. Outstanding looks.

Nose: Crisp clean aromas, superlative punctuating fresh lightly hoppy nose with a restrained malt base that allows everything to balance. The Pint reeked of “freshness”; however you want to define that. Background had a lovely cereal husky nature, but this was a perfectly good thing, for me.

Taste: This is where it gets interesting, it had everything and nothing, so hard to describe but I recall, lemon, limes, grass, hop flowers, husky malt grains, firm toasts, citric sharpness with some metallic traits, but just as they should be with a talcum softness in the finish. Everything it needs to be, nothing more, and nothing less. Faultless.

Mouthfeel: Perfection, a firm and never waning medium body has a crisp resilient carbonation that effortlessly scours the plate and allows every last grain (literally) to cross the palate. Soft and purely ground down to a talcum powder texture, the sharpness of the hops and citric nature expand the horizons of the Mouthfeel, far from one-dimensional.

Drinkability: *DEADLY*

Overall: Seems wrong to give a perfect 5.0, but this really *IS* that good. To try to improve it would be like killing the Goose that lays the Golden Egg. On-draft, fresh from the Tap at Flavor Bistro in Santa Rosa, this was Simply Stunning, Exquisite, Dangerously Drinkable and Effortlessly Addictive. Believe the Hype and laugh at Prima Pils. Some slight deviations and variations from the better home-spun Czech Pils style that those anal nit-pickers revel in, I ignore them all, for the simple reason that my first taste of this literally reminded and mentally transported me back to my first trip to (the then) Czechoslovakia. It had me eulogizing about those first half-litres of Pilsner Urquell, StaroBrno, Gambrinus and Budvar that I tried way back in 1991. In that respect, this is where the Reality Czeck wins hands down. Forget my original reason to visit Russian River, sampling the Reality Czech at Flavor Bistro was worth the 900 mile round trip from Long Beach to Santa Rosa just for this alone.

Believe the hype.

Fresh keg, tapped at Zeitgeist in the mission. Bright gold. Goldy gold, the most gold that fucking gold can get in a beer. Perfectly sized and contained head of thick egg cream white foam. Aromas are al that a pils should be, and nothing that a pils shouldn't be. Floral German/US hop varities lend this brew a great aroma of lemon, lime, bread dough, flowers, oranges, and more. The taste is a combination of the aromas but intensified, unified, and perfected. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light with an intense small bubbled carbonation that never let's up lending this brew a perfect drinkability. Insanely drinkable. Refreshing and subtle, yet horribly complex and thought provoking. This is beer.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Reviewed from notes taken on 3/4/06 @ Flavor.

Pours a clear golden color with a fluffy white head. Thick lacing on the glass.

Huge aroma of crisp pils malts and spicy Saaz. I mean, this smells perfect.

Tastes just like it smells, perfect! Super crisp and malty with that delicious Pils malt flavor. There are loads of spicy Saaz that compliment the malts perfectly. It is perfectly balanced and tastes super fresh.

Solid body, slick texture, perfectly carbonated.

This is a beer among beers. I have had some delicious pilsners, but this is special. I am sorry that I wasn't able to bring any back home with me.

[EDIT] I have since learned that no Saaz is used in this beer, rather an unlikely combination of American hops. It's still the best beer I have had to date, and I wish it were more accessible.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is an amazing beer.

All aspects of this beer are good, but the mouthfeel is especially terrific - a warm round melting of lingering hops and light malt.

Extremely drinkable - goes down easy and the complex character of the beer is still very present even after a few drinks.

The flavor and smell are very complex, it is dangerous to try and catagorize this beer.

My only qualm is the lack of head on this beer. I suspect it was the bartender with an improper pour, since I could easily see and taste the heavy carbonation.

All I can say is this is a must try it if you have a chance.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

After having more glasses of this beer than I can count, including two last night, I feel it's time to chime in...

I should start this review by first stating that I generally do not like pilsners. I dig the big beers and like my hops nice and fruity. Before drinking this beer, I had pretty much written off the style as a whole.

Poured at Toronado into a standard pint glass. Golden with a fluffy head, the head dies down. Crystal clarity on this one. Unfiltered eh? Who knew.

The nose is ultra clean floral/grassy spicy hops with a bready malt underneath.

On to the taste. Goes down so smooth and clean with a pronounced hop bite and spicyness with a biscuity malt flavor finishing it off. The hop finish lingers in the best of ways. I finally understand what people are talking about when they say pilsners have a hop bite.

This is arguably, ounce for ounce, the most drinkable beer ever made. The subtley and nuance is staggering. It can be enjoyed by the slow sip or heavy gulp. Refreshing yet refined. Clean yet bold. This beer definitely walks the fine line to achieve the best of all worlds.

I have been a fan of Moonlight since I randomly ordered a Death and Taxes during my first trip to Toronado about two years ago. When I order a moonlight, I expect a beer that is completely unorthodox with no definable style. The devil may care vibe of Moonlight always made it an interesting choice, and never a disappointment. But, unlike I am used to, Reality Czeck is a completely different. This is not a "take" on the pilsner style, it is not an americanized variation or a stylistic homage. It is a straight up Czeck pilsner, just the pinnacle of craft (that I have had so far). There is a refinement to a style I had passed on that makes this beer so damn enjoyable. Extremely versatile, damn delicious, world class.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Everytime I make it to San Francisco, I stop in at Toronado. Everytime I'm at Toronado, I'm sure to grab of pint of Reality Czeck. It brings me joy just knowing that my trip to SF will be blessed with this fine beer and I take comfort in knowing that Toronado always has it on draught.

It pours a strong yellow with a bit of head. The smell is phenomenal - it grabs you with simple flavors of bread and slight citrus. You even get a bit of the malts in the nose. The taste covers it all - simple in it's flavors - crisp and delicious.

Not only the best pilsener, I've ever had - but possibly the best session beer. And I could drink this everyday.

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

2 pints on-tap at the Beachwood BBQ, in Seal Beach, CA,

A: Pale, straw, yellow colour, with a medium white head with good retention, above average looking for a pils.

S: Intoxicating Saaz/Noble hop aroma, mixed with baked sourdough bread.

T: Oustanding, first you are hit with delicious bready malt, which is then backed with perfect, floral, Saaz hops bitterness, by far the best pilsner that I've ever had. A true tour de force.

M: Incredibly dry, floral, smooth, and soft - perfect for a pilsner of this type.

D: Incredibly drinkable and smooth, a great pilsner, I could drink this all day, the epitome of a session beer. This is my first beer from Moonlight, and if they are all as good as the pilsner, I'm in for a treat when I can find them. A great beer all-around. The best pilsner in the world.

4.91/5  rDev +14.2%

On-tap

A: Served a dark yellow that wasn’t quite gold with a dense eggshell white head that faded to lace.
S: Crackery malt with some light notes of spicy hops and bread. Not explosive but it smells great.
T: Oh man, this blew me away. I’ve never had a pilsner taste this good (but to be fair I haven’t had a ton of them). It’s creamy, crakery, bready, pale and has a light earthy hop flavor. There is just so much flavor to this and I wasn’t expecting that.
M: Thicker than I thought it would be with a super creamy and soft mouthfeel. There is no bitterness.
O: I went back to this beer again and again throughout the night and would drink this every day if I could. Impressively well done.

EDIT: Had to get a keg of this for my wedding. Everyone loved it and so did I. One of the best pilsners on the market.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on tap this weekend at both the Toronado and Flavor Bistro. Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. The taste is mildly sweet while having an awesome snappy hoppiness to it. It finishes clean without a huge amount of lingering bitterness or sweetness. I remember Prima Pils being somewhat like this but the crispness and refreshing feeling of this brew easily make it the best I've ever tried from the Pilsner category.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

How unfair (or fortunate?) that I should try two outstanding Pilsners in one week - (The other being Victory Prima) I'm going to start having much higher expectations for these Czech Lagers...

The beer poured a nice deep gold with a fluffy, sticky white head. The head died down pretty quickly but left lots of lacing on the glass.

The smell was incredibly inviting - quite a bit hoppier than you'd expect, almost into Pils/IPA territory. Lots of notes of new-mown graaz with a few hints of pine and citrus. As the Redhead observed: "I know what the beer is going to taste like just from the smell" (and right she is)

What struck me as interesting about the taste is that it's quite 'solid', not watered down or thin tasting like many pilsner lagers. Plenty of hops but far from bitter. Mostly Noble but I could swear there are echoes of Cascade or Centennial in there. The malt is a bit more subdued but certainly there enough to provide balance. There are some slightly sweet notes and a wee bit of fruit - I could swear I tasted tangerine in the background.

Mouthfeel is just what it's supposed to be - solid, plenty of effervescence to clean the palate. No oily residue left on the tongue and no overly dry aftertaste. Really the perfect finish on each sip...

As for drinkability - there's no real question. This pilsner may be difficult to find but it's worth the trip. Lunch at Flavor is quite affordable and I've already made a date to go back there in a week (for more Pils)

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

22 oz bottle. Hand bottled via counter pressure filler. The beer is a brilliant straw yellow color with absolutely no haze at all. A massive carbonation is seen maintaining a finger of head over top of the brew. Very good looking beer. The nose brings a mild honey-kissed pilsener malt sweetness, a mild grainyness, and a solid herbal and spicy noble hop that really entices me to drink this one. As I sip it, I find this one brings an excellent herbal noble hop that moves to a moderate to strong bitterness. Behind this is a mild grainy character and a very subtle sweetness. The bitter lingers really nicely into the finish, drawing me back for more and more of this one. The balance here is fantastic. Definitely one of the best pilsener beers ever to grace my glass. After letting my palate sit for a minute after a drink, there is a sweetness that sticks to my tongue and works really well against the bitterness that clings. Mouthfeel is moderate with a very solid carbonation that breaks it up and keeps it feeling really light and smooth. Drinkability is top notch on this one. This is a beer I would love to see on tap so I could belly up and drink it till the keg was done. It is big in flavor, balance, and clarity. I really enjoy this beer. I believe the hype, and will be looking for this one when I hit California early next year. This is a great Czech pilsener.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach (yes, this beer actually made it down here!).

Let's start off by saying that this beer is really as good as everyone says. By far the best Czech Pils I have ever had.

Color of course is quite light, with a decent head. Aroma is extremely fresh - nice fresh, floral hops with a wonderful grassiness.

Taste is amazing. Ridiculously fresh, extremely floral hops with a nice grassiness. I'm just blown away by how fresh the floral tastes are...this is how I wish all pilseners tasted! Ultimately, this beer keeps everything very fresh and earthy, with a slight bit of citric character at the end.

The carbonation on this is perfect, and is way too easy to drink. This is one beer that has gone above and beyond to earn a 5 on drinkability...and, especially for the style, has earned 5s in a couple other categories too!

Highly, highly recommended. This is probably the first time I have gotten truly excited about a pilsener - let alone rating it in the top beers I have had of all time. So yes, it's that good.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This is one I never thought i would be typing up a review for to say the least! Much, much thanks for this growler. I was blown away to even see it. Served cold and poured into a few pint glasses, this one was consumed on 07/02/2009.

Rich looking pilsner pour. Nice golden hay color with a big head of white on top, nearly three inches at first before settling down to a nice rounded half inch layer that hung there for the rest of the session. Nice carbonation throughout as well really helping to replenish the head on this one. Rich malty aroma, lots of grain with a nice touch of light citrus poking its head up. As it warms I start to pick up grassy notes as well as a touch of banana. This rolls over very smoothly as I take my first sip. Again, blown away by the smoothness of this one. It is exactly how a pilsner should taste but with a nice touch of orange peel added to the finish. Very earthy and bready with lots fo grain notes littered throuhout the taste. Light, easy drinking, and soo sessionable, this one was gone in no time.

Again soo friggin cool that I was able to land this one. I had all but written it off without a trip out west, but never say never. One of the best session beers I have ever had. I would drink this all day if I could.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at Zeitgeist. Highly recommended by Herr Venom... Quaffed 3x outside in their "Biergarten" with axisjones, enjoying a gorgeous Saturday afternoon (28May05).

Poured a smidge cloudy yet still a striking golden color. Slow, sporadic carbonation meandering top-wards. Thin egg-shell white head layering things, though leaving intricate lacing. Lovely aromas of bready malts co-mingling with sharp, spicy hops. Mmmm! Body easily a medium, and fantastically smooth for a Pils. Glides over the tongue. Great taste (less filling!)... Ooops... Yes, great taste. Bready and a tad toasty. A touch dry but with a killer Noble hop spiciness that lasts and lasts while sticking all over the mouth and throat. Sooo quaffable. A top-shelf Pils! Had I closed my eyes I could have thought that I was somewhere in Bavaria or Bohemia.

Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.75
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 5

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

On tap at the Toronado and at Zeitgeist in SF during one of the best beer weeks of my life....

Pour has about 1/4 inch of head that recedes to a ring quite quickly, light lacing, medium carbonation. Deep yellow colouring, clear as crystal. The aroma is where this one sets itself apart though. Think of all the aromas that you associate with a good Czech pils: Grass, Hay, Flowers, Peppery Spice, Earth, Grain, maybe even a little nuttiness, but all amped up, well balanced, but still each one distinct from the other.

When it hits your taste buds an eruption of fresh flavours happens. It's like having a garden in your mouth. Floral as all hell, but offset by the spicy pepper notes that are typical of the noble hops. There's a massive hop bill here. A bit of lemon sourness as well. The grassy character is almost like how a sun-baked hillside smells, earthy and dry. Very grainy and nutty as well. Full flavoured is an understatement.

Mouthfeel is maybe a little heavier than the average pils, but barely, and the carbonation is just about right. Dry as all hell. Drinkability takes a hit only because you want to savour every sip. This one isn't a chugger, but it's so enjoyable you have to have more than one.

As far as Pilsners go, this one goes to 11, I'm extremely pleased to have tried it, and it's an essential brew if you're in the bay area.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A nice, full-bodied taste for a lager. I noticed very slight herb notes. A very appealing golden-brown appearence. Very smooth but thick mouthfeel. It is an extremely drinkable beer. Not an overpowering nose, but overall one of the best beers I've had. I will definitely look forward to trying this beer in the future.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

On tap at Toronado.
Golden yellow straw color, very slight haze but almost clear with a 1/8 inch of head with good retention. There is a lot of lacing lining the inside of the glass.
Lemony citric character with a lightly toasted sweet grain presence that leads to a wonderful floral and earth hop aroma in the end. An incredibly crisp and fresh smelling beer. The toasted graininess is wonderfully balanced with the light citrus aroma and the pronounced snappy hops.
Light but flavorful cereal like grain with a slight caramelized character is followed up with the perfect amount of citric hoppiness that provides a light lemon flavor and a finish of faint hop spice. Incredibly smooth, crisp, well balanced, and refreshing. Theres not a whole lot more that I could ask for from a pils.
Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.
An exceptional beer. Incredibly balanced, tasty, and flavorful. Ridiculously drinkable.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with RedwoodGeorge. Thanks for the opportunity... Hand-bottled via counter-pressure system 10/3/06.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" bright white head over the clear light golden brew. Head lasts very well, with ample artful delicate lacing. Aroma is pale grain sweetness upfront, giving way to Saaz crispness. Flavor is also light malts and crisp hoppiness, but I'm kind of at a loss to put into words how well everything melds together. Nary even an aftertaste, which often dooms some in the style. Mouthfeel is soft over the tongue, extra smooth, and drinkability is superb as well. If this is better on tap, I can't wait to make sure.

4.73/5  rDev +10%

On tap at the Red Room in Santa Cruz.

A; Poured into a big ol' nonic, this beer appears beautifully with a pale golden color and an inch of white fluffy head.

S: Nose includes very crisp, light hoppiness and some faint sugary sweetness from the malt.

T: This is the best pilsener I've ever had, good lord. Delicious sweet grainy malt is countered by light, fresh, floral hops to create a quite perfect synergy.

M: Smooth, light, nice carbonation level, exceptional for the style.

D: At 4.8% this is easily one of my favorite session beers, very refreshing and tasty and uncloying and just absolutely great.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Pint at Toronado for three dollars and some change during happy hour a week ago, reviewed from notes, finally get to try this Top 100 beer, color is a golden yellow with some cloudy orange thrown into the mix, aroma is of toasted pilsner malts, floral hoppiness, bread, butter, grapefruit, lemons, flowers, grass, and mild spice, flavor starts off bready and quite chewy for its style, middle is toasted with buttery bread, finish is a mix of floral and citrus hops, wow I kept asking myself if this was really a pilsner and in fact it is a very good one, like the grassy accents once it warms, great finish that is crisp until the end, mouthfeel is chewy, dry, citrusy, and slightly sweet, medium bodied but still on the thinner side, crisp level of carbonation, taste lingers a very long time for its style, so much flavor packed into a beer that is less than five percent, drinks very easily, super light and refreshing, could have drank numerous pints, I want more as I am writing this review, too bad this stuff is not bottled like the picture deceives us of, world class beer coming from a great Northern California brewery, will be drinking this ever time I see it now, quite the session beer to say the least, this is worth the hype and is phenomenal for its style, never thought a pilsner could have such great fruit character, highly recommended

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the Toronado

Pours a straw golden clear color with a very nice white head. Very nice lacing too.

Aroma is that authentic pils aroma. Very lagerish. Little malty in the nose.

Taste is probably the best pils I have yet to have. Nice and light malty flavor with a good lager touch. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel is high carb and nice crisp dry feel.

Overall I wish I could get this more often. It's nice to just have a nice crisp pils every once in a while. And this is the best.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, and I must send a shout out to the Hopcam, otherwise I may have missed this opportunity. On to the beer:

Beautiful. This beer is deep golden straw in color, topped by an airy, puffy head that stays airy and puffy on top all the way until the last drop. Lots of healthy lacing sticks to the glass. It smells like a pilsner. Hay, grassy, herbal. The taste follows the smell. Lots of grass, hay, pale malt, and citric hop flavor, but blended together in harmony to create a beer that lifts off your tongue without effort. I wouldn't call this beer "light", I would call it lean.

I find it hard to believe that this beer is less than 5% ABV, but is full of all the pilsner qualities, and more, then molded together in a way like no other. No matter how you slice it, it's an outstanding pilsner. Only Brazil's very own Bamberg Tcheca comes close among pilsners in my book.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Kick ass pils. Signature Moonlight massive flavors combine in a 5 second trip of bitter grain and a crunching gush of potent toasty grain flavor. Smooth body, sharply bitter pils bite. Sour mash in the mouth. Lightly salty. Corn nuts.

Sampled at the Boonville Beerfest.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to SubpoenaDeuces for this one!

Appearance: Translucent golden body with a decent head and retention.

Smell: The traditional pilsner scent here amid spicy, dank notes.

Taste: Potent hops that don't overpower with a faint bitterness that doesn't break through the mellow sweetness of this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation within a refreshing body.

Overall: Pilsener at perfection.

Reality Czeck from Moonlight Brewing Company