Reality Czeck | Moonlight Brewing Company

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2005

4.3

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Toronado. Yellow coloured body with a white head. Grainy. Very nice session ale. Medium mouthfeel.Lightly sweet. To me, a good lager. Not much hops detected by my palate, and its early in the day. I am open minded, but I was expecting more.Appropriate carbonation.

4.17/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the 2014 Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest held at the Paso Robles Event Center in Paso Robles, CA.

Pours a clear yellow-orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and grass aromas. Taste is much the same with grain, grass, and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is tasty, refreshing, and easy to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Sean and the Chicago crew for saving me some from last night's tasting. Growler opened up with a nice hiss...a great sign that its still fresh! Light bright golden color with nice carbonation and minimal lacing. Floral, grainy and hay like aromas...so much better than any of the Czech pilseners I've had. Taste is very flavorful for the style getting some floral and slight citrus notes in the finish. Very drinkable, light and refreshing. They are getting everything out this style that definitely lives up to its top rating. What a great beer to be able to drink on a hot summer day. Would love try this again fresh off the tap. Definitely a recommend!!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Magnolia Pub & Brewery, San Francisco, CA

A: The beer is relatively clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center, a collar around the edge, and some lacing down the sides.
S: Light to moderate aromas of biscuit malts are present in the nose along with hints of grassy hops.
T: The taste follows the smell, having flavors of biscuity and bready malts along with a heavy dose of noble hops—grassy hops seem to stand out in particular and linger into the finish, contributing a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This pilsner has a nice balance of biscuit malts and grassy hops but also offers some other complexities in the smell and taste.

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

On tap at Flavor Bistro, review from written notes.
Served in a 12 oz. wilibecher glass.

Bright gold with sharp clarity and visible ascending trails of champagne bubbles. Thin layer of compact foam on top looks like a round buttermilk biscuit. Lasting head retention, sea spray foam, and concentric rings of lace on the way down.

Grassy noble hops, dry and herbal. Clean, dry crackery pilsner malt, hint of sliced apples.

Similar flavors, very crisp, dry and refreshing with a lingering bitterness from the ample noble hops. Light bready flavors of crisp crackers and sliced apple again. So crisp and clean, with enough hops to keep interest, superbly balanced with equal malt and yeast character. Extremely versatile, a timeless classic to pair with just about anything.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a clear golden color and a modest head that disipates quickly but still sheets the glass with lace

Smell: Fresh noble hop aroma - it almost smells like a noble hop harvest

Taste: Starts out with a grainy flavor that builds with extreme noble hop bitterness by mid-palate; after the swallow, the bitter flavors linger but are joined by a lively floral aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Generally pilsners can be drunk in quantity, but this one is so aggressively bitter that, by the end of the pint, I felt I had to give my tastebuds a rest; the floral tones at the end of each sip were quite memorable and certainly set this beer apart

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Amnesia in San Francisco.

A perfectly clear straw-colored pils without much head to speak (this was mostly due to the way the bartender poured it though, because the carbonation was just fine). Pretty subtle aroma; pale malts, grainy and grassy, lots of fresh floral hops. The taste closely mirrors the smell - bready pale malts and a surprisingly strong hop kick at the end that lingers on the palate for quite a while. Very clean and simple, light in body and crisply carbonated, exactly as a pilsner should be. It reminded me quite a bit of Victory's Prima Pils, but with a cleaner taste and better balance between malt and hops.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

White head. Lace. Golden yellow. Crisp and clean. Earthy and bready. Light floral hops with a slight herbal grassy taste. Light bodied. Light bitterness. Overall, well done and glad I finally had a chance to try this one. Very easy to drink.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Enjoyed on tap at The Monk's Kettle, San Francisco on July 17, 2010.

Although I found Moonlight Brewing's Reality Czech to be a touch malty, it otherwise hit the nail right on the head. It displayed a great golden color; a perfect white froth head with good retention; a swirling aroma of spicy/floral and slightly grassy hops over gently sweetish and straw-like malt; and a solid, balancing bitterness.

Nicely done!

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

On tap at Toronado San Francisco in August 2009.

A: Pours a golden color with a white head.

S: A decent amount of German noble hops, but nothing overpowering, and there isn't really too much else going on.

T: A good amount of grain matched against the noble hops, but nothing terribly special. Maybe it's the hype, but this one really didn't live up to my expectations. Nothing really set it apart from other pilsners that I've had.

M: Light with moderate carbonation.

D: Pretty drinkable, but not more so than most for the style. I didn't detect nearly as much of a hop presence as others have discussed, so I'll make sure to revisit it again in the future.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Lovely dark golden color in the tall pint nonic. Perfect head and foam down the glass. Pleasing nose of grain and fresh straw.

Warm tones with a biscuity malt flavor. Resiny and clean sharp flavors, but the mellow malt gives it a pleasurable mouthfeel. Long hoppy aftertaste with just the right Pilsener bitterness.

This is kind of the ideal lager sort of beer. Reminds me of the way Mexican beers used to taste in the 1960s, at least in my mind. On tap at the Trappist in Oakland and a great quaff for lunch.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

22oz counter pressure filled bottle from a keg. Poured into my Schlafly kolsch glass. It poured a hazy, light golden color with a full, foamy, bright white head to it. Nice head retention as I drank it as well.

The aroma has a bright citrusy zest to it. I get some lemony flavors mixing with some grassy, herbal hop flavors. I get a slight tart citrus flavor to it as well. Some biscuty, grainy malts come through to give it a sweet, bready flavor. Very flavorful aroma for the style and alcohol content.

The taste starts out with more of the zesty, lemony citrus flavor. Midway more of the bready, grainy flavor starts to come out. In the finish I get more of an herbal, grassy, slightly tart citrus flavors coming out of the hoppiness along with a nice balancing bitterness.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being above average. Overall it was a very good beer of the style. I found it very flavorful and balanced. It wasn't a beer that blew me away with flavors, but it was probably the best version of the style I've had. Very solid beer overall, easy drinking as well as flavorful. Rating with style in mind definitely gives this one a little boost in my scores since as I said, it's probably the best of the style I can remember having.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

"Bottled on October 3, 2006. Pay to the order of: Reality Czech Style Pilsner, 22 fluid ounces of malt, hops, water, yeast, love and dedication. Signed: Saint Humulus."

--Reality Czech label

What better way to start off "George's Unauthorized Home Bottling Project II" than with what is sure to be a pils for the ages. Glowing lemony gold with paler, moonlight edges. The head is polished ivory in color and is a collection of fine, glassy bubbles that makes the beer look regal and refined. Sheets upon sheets of delicate, lace-like lace are beginning to stick to all available surfaces.

The nose isn't quite as hoppy or an explosive as anticipated. It's still a humdinger though. I wish I knew which variety (or varieties) of hops the brewer uses because the aroma isn't especially grassy or floral or spicy or any of the other characteristics that I usually attribute to the Czech nobles. Muskily fruity is the closest that I can come to an adequate description.

There's no shortage of flavor, that's for damn sure. As expected after the sniff test, Reality Czech is a balanced beer. While the hophead in me wanted something more hoptastic, the lover and appreciator of world-class beer is more than satisfied with this incredibly delicious, fantastically drinkable pilsener.

Moderately sweet pale malt carasses and coddles the palate while the alpha acids attempt to slap it around a little bit. That perfectly meshed relationship between malt and hops is what makes this beer what it is. Still though, I'm trying to resist the impulse to call for more of the little green cones. As I enter the bottom half of the bomber, one thing has become crystal clear. If I lived in Sonoma County, Reality Czech just might be my session beer of choice.

I give George all the credit in the world for what he's been able to accomplish with his Home Bottling Projects. This is the first beer, however, that I think may have taken a small hit in terms of mouthfeel. It's still good (lightly creamy, softly carbonated), it just isn't as amazingly transcendent as I imagine it is fresh from the tap.

Reality Czech is my first Moonlight brew and I have to say that I'm impressed, especially with its balance and its drinkability. Not that I needed any more impetus, but savoring the final few ounces of this incredible beer leads me to cast my mind back to that too-long-delayed trip to Santa Rosa. In addition to wallowing in great food and great beer, I'd love to be able to thank RedwoodGeorge in person.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This is one I never thought i would be typing up a review for to say the least! Much, much thanks for this growler. I was blown away to even see it. Served cold and poured into a few pint glasses, this one was consumed on 07/02/2009.

Rich looking pilsner pour. Nice golden hay color with a big head of white on top, nearly three inches at first before settling down to a nice rounded half inch layer that hung there for the rest of the session. Nice carbonation throughout as well really helping to replenish the head on this one. Rich malty aroma, lots of grain with a nice touch of light citrus poking its head up. As it warms I start to pick up grassy notes as well as a touch of banana. This rolls over very smoothly as I take my first sip. Again, blown away by the smoothness of this one. It is exactly how a pilsner should taste but with a nice touch of orange peel added to the finish. Very earthy and bready with lots fo grain notes littered throuhout the taste. Light, easy drinking, and soo sessionable, this one was gone in no time.

Again soo friggin cool that I was able to land this one. I had all but written it off without a trip out west, but never say never. One of the best session beers I have ever had. I would drink this all day if I could.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Toronado SF. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pale straw yellow with a white head. Settles to just a ring and some wisps.

Smell - Earthy and very slightly grassy hops. Mild. Biscuity pale malts. Spicy?

Taste - Mimics the smell. Slightly more emphasis on the hops. Hardly what I'd call hoppy, but it's got a presence. Clean pilsener malts. Just a little toasty. Dry in the finish. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Mouthfeel - The finish seals the deal for this one. Yes, it's light and drinkable,nut so are many average pilseners. This one is dry and slightly spicy. Excellent.

Overall - I'm not a lager fan, but so many pilseners are awful. This is an exception. When it's good, it's very good.

Reality Czeck from Moonlight Brewing Company