Hoptical Illusion

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Hoptical IllusionHoptical Illusion
Notes:
Reviews: 678 | Ratings: 2,129 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From notes 8/12/12: Pours a bright golden orange producing 2 fingers of off-white, frothy, lasting head that leaves nice blotchy lacing. Aroma is hoppy citrus, earthy grass and thin pine with a sweet caramel, lightly toasted background. Taste is grapefruit, pine, grass, sweet caramel, pepper; a dry finish with astringent and bitter aftertaste. Simple but fairly well balanced. A lot more malt than I'm used to in an IPA.

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Here's another review of a beer I had for the first time in the summer of 2014. Picked up a bunch of stuff while in the Midwest.

Pours golden, slight cloudiness, 1/3" white head. Aroma was non proprietary hops. The C variety and Simcoe maybe. Bitter, grapefruit, a lil bit of tree and not much else going for it.

Conflicting information about the abv. Some say 7, 6.8 and 2.3. Weird. Seemed like 6.8 to me. Was relatively easy enough to drink, pale toasted malt, 65 ibu levels of bitterness. You've had hundreds of ipas like this. No off flavors at least. Light aspirin and soapiness to it. Chewy caramel under tone. Carbonation in the average range. The beer lacks much depth, its just a one trick bitter pony for the most part. Lots of beers like this, moreso from a previous era, but you know how it goes, high bitterness, pine and grapefruit all the way, a little bit of caramel in the malt aspect. The alcohol isn't all that hidden, every bit of it is there, just barely avoids being labeled "hot".

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours slightly cloudy gold, with a moderate head that disapates quickly. Malty carmel smell. Hoppy but not overly so. Relatively thin body, very drinkable.

2.77/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle. Poured a clear, golden amber color with a good-sized head of off-white foam. It smelled of pine, pine, pine and caramel. Too much pine and not good pine. Like eating a handful of pine needles.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a 6-pack of bottles on sale for $5 at my local Lucky’s Market. It was a decent IPA, especially for the price. Fairly average, nothing that made it special. But I’d buy it again when it’s on sale.

3.72/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A clear amber ale, (Seems slightly hazy at first but the haziness clears. Perhaps it's an illusion of the carbonation, living up to its name) with about one finger of creamy foamy head; Doesn't dissipate too fast and shows lacing on the glass when tilted. Not much bouquet. Tangy and sparkly on the tongue. Not as hoppy as one might expect from the name.

EDIT: The second time I drank this beer, the flavor seemed a little sour. Not nearly as good an impression as the first time I tried it. I reduced my ratings on taste and overall.

Another EDIT: On third tase (of a six) I thought, "This is a tasty beer." The label says East Coast IPA, but I wouldn't guess that it is an IPA from tasting it. I increased my taste and overall ratings. Could these bottles of beer be this variable? Was my last one a skunky one? Now I don't know what to think.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It poured a hazy amber color with a nice head that fades but leaves a good lacing to glass. The smell is a mild citrus hint. The taste is also a mild citrus flavor with a bit of bitterness to it, although we'll balanced. Body is medium, overall a nice and easy drinking beer.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours only slightly hazy light copper-gold with medium head that left a little lace. Nose wasn't particularly big for what it was labeled as. Light citrus along with slightly herbal earthiness. Taste is about the same. Good balance between malt and hops. Overall, just under middle-of-the-road and unmemorable.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decanted into a conical pint glass; bottled on 19 July 2017
A: Pours a clear amber to light copper color with a one inch cream, white head and serious lacing.
S: Light citrus, with a little mowed grass and toast.
T: Lemon and peach up front with strong hoppy bitterness. Fairly crisp.
M: Light to medium bodied with solid effervescence.
O: When this brew first came out, I enjoyed it intensely and couldn't get enough. I hadn't had it in a while and purchased it recently for the purpose of rating it to find that it is either 1) not as I remembered it (think citrus hop explosion) or 2) not made as I remembered it. I will not speculate; I recognize that Blue Point is no longer an independent producer. I can say that it is a solid East Coast (American) IPA. Well made, but with a lot of competition, much of it on a par or better.

3.56/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Discovered this at Yankee Stadium, where it and Goose Island are the only IPAs currently available (other than Blue Point's session IPA, that is). Nice, citrusy, resiny taste and a chewy feel. I wouldnt go out of my way to get it, but it was a nice find at the ballpark.

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion a good beer has a nice blend of hops and malts...not too bitter... nor too sweet. This one falls into that category for me. This has the best of both worlds..a great blend.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a chilled pint glass
Look- Cloudy gold with a cream head
Smell- heavy citrus and grassy hops, sweet floral hints
Taste- citrus and floral hints up front followed by a crisp hop flavor
Feel- light to medium bodied
Overall- not a bad beer but certainly not a go to. The only reason I even tried it is that they were on bogo.

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%

This is certainly not a bad beer. But it's certainly not a great one either. It calls itself an "east coast IPA" but it seems to me to be a "midwestern" IPA. In other words it is neither a west or east coast IPA. I'd grab it over a bud light but that's about as high praise as I can give it.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a nonic pint glass. The appearance was a soft bronzed burnt brown color with a slim transparency about it. Carbonation rises at a nice pace. A one finger white foamy head dissipated within less than a minute. Lacing clung nicely in a mild filmy foamy manner. The smell had some earthy and grassy hops rolling over a light herbal quality and having a nice caramel backbone to it. The taste copied the smell and added a light tobacco in the aftertaste and finish. On the palate, this one sat fairly dry with an okay sessionability about it. Carbonation felt right as an IPA. Bitterness seemed decent. Overall, I don’t mind it for me, but there’s a part of me that wants to say this is closer to an English IPA because of the way the hops come across and the smell and flavor. I could see myself having this again.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I guess I've been spoiled by all the new hoppy beers. When Hop Gun is not available, I will reach for Hoptical Illusion, just recently though. It's an OK beer, might even say it's good for about 2 pints. It's good beer, give it a try.

1.57/5  rDev -57.8%

I don't know if I got a bad six pack. But this is terrible. I am unable to finish a single bottle. Harsh acidic taste and feel. Disgusting drain pour.

1.4/5  rDev -62.4%

As horid as Three Daughters Bimini Twist. This is not an IPA. The sickening sweet back channel malt taste is just wrong. Ewwww. No! Just...NO! Malty pine cones anyone?

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden colored with thin off white head.

Smell: Light hops and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of light bitter pine notes and a hint of citrus.

Overall: Nothing special in my opinion. Glad I tried it anyway.

2.19/5  rDev -41.1%

This has to be one of the worst IPAs I have ever consumed. Far to malty to even taste like an IPA. No good bitters. Heavy aftertaste. Would not recommend.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from the bottle, it pours a mostly clear dark amber and caramel color onto the glass. A moderate head recedes and leaves a creamy looking ring that retains well and leaves lacing. It's look is its best attribute.
In the nose there is light citrus and mango. There is initially a raw grain aroma that becomes sweeter and more honey and caramel like as the drink warms.
In the mouth it is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Also, the mouthfeel was wet and oily. The husky grain flavor tends to dominate at first, along with an earthy, dry tea and tobacco leaf, resiny and bitter hops bite that does not have the zest or brightness of other IPAs. I actually viewed this as a detraction in that the flavors and mouthfeel felt a little rough and acerbic. However, as it warmed the malt profile mellowed things out and made the flavor sweeter and caramel like, and the mouthfeel a bit more creamy and silky. This did improve drinkability overall.
Although it ended up being a decent IPA, it's flaws do not allow it to measure up to the greats. In all fairness, I will disclose that I drank this after a Pliny the Elder. Perhaps a bit harsh for me to judge it alongside such an iconic beer. Perhaps I'll give this one another shot under different circumstances.

3.14/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Earthy and hoppy, leaves some to be desired. Beginning seems nice but then it trails off

Taste Rating in Words: It's a TV show you start to really like but midway through something happens and you just wish they would go back to the beginning.

3.46/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a pale amber with an average head. The aroma starts with caramel malts, as well as resin, grass, dried mango, candied peach, cotton candy, vague floral notes, and bar soap. The flavor is lead by caramel and burnt sugar malts, with hints of peach and cannabis, some grapefruit pith, and a floral finish, with moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a solid amount of foamy carbonation. Overall this is an okay beer, but nothing really pops or draws me in.

2.26/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I recently moved to Mexico. One of the most frustrating things about being here is the availability of good beers - especially IPA's. When I found beerhouse.com.mx, I was ecstatic because I could get IPA's shipped directly to my house. This is one of the IPA's I bought. Unfortunately, it is not good. It is bitter - in a bad way - lacks depth, and is just very unpleasant. I wanted to like this so much. I wanted to have a go-to IPA that I could have while living South of the border. I ended up finding one, but it definitely isn't Hoptical Illusion.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

This is a very good brew and a worthwhile example of its type. It doesn't have any truly off putting characteristics but it also isn't the kind of ale that causes any kind of inspiration. It is worth buying a six pack if only to add to your experience library but it isn't one I would keep buying because it isn't one of my favorites.

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA, nothing to complain about. It had a good smell to it. The taste was good, not to piney, and not to citrusy. More on the hoppy side than not. Had a nice finish with no bad after taste. It was an average IPA. Not bad, but not a WOW factor.

Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point Brewing Company