Hoptical Illusion | Blue Point Brewing Company

Liked:
3.7/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,058 |  Reviews: 669

I seek this out for the shelves of my beer pantry. This is a consistently great IPA. To just pop the cap off the bottle and take in the aroma makes me want to purr like a cat. I went out and bought a Blue Point pint glass specifically to enjoy this in. I like it's color and weight and consistent taste and aftertaste. I particularly enjoy this paired with dark chocolate or salty snacks. Of all of the Blue point product line this is an absolute winner for me. One of my top IPA choices.

4.99/5  rDev +34.9%

4.97/5  rDev +34.3%

Hoptical Illusion is an IPA that finally does not leave you wondering why someone would have drunken a beer with this much hop bitterness in it! This beer pours with a golden color and leaves a white head that stays at about 1/4" from start to stop. The nose has a strong hop aroma as an IPA should and is indicative more spicy varieties of hops. The taste is something to savor. The beginning of your first sip strikes the nose with a burst of spicy hops and hits the front of the tongue with its IPA bitterness. As you pull the glass away from your lips, the aroma slowly dissipates leaving a distinct hop taste that reveals a subtle malty flavor. This beer has an excellent mouthfeel that is not thick or thin, but just right. Very drinkable, very hoppy, very good.

4.91/5  rDev +32.7%

I just poured this out of a cask and it looks like crap. It looks flat...BUT IT'S NOT! It's cold out of the cask and it's delish. maybe I am bias cause I am a Long Island guy but this could be one of the greatest moments of my life. I am going to be at the Blue Point cask festival this month, can't tell you how hoppy I am.

4.89/5  rDev +32.2%

Pours a golden yellow color with a thick white head. Appears a little lighter in color than most IPAs. Good nose full of hops, grapefruit, and pine. Taste is very smooth and hits you with creamy grapefruit and hop bitterness up front. A mildy lingering finish of hoppy pine and citrus. This is a really drinkable IPA, just the right amount of hops in here to have a bunch of pints but with still a lot of flavor. I love this.

4.89/5  rDev +32.2%

Think I found my favorite beer from a local brewer. Poured into my glass with a nice head. Aroma was great. Big heavy nice citrus fruit. Even spicy like peppers. Wow. Taste was knockout slamming your palate with real flavor. Lots of good spice and bitterness here. Before I knew it the whole bottle was gone. Wow what a good beer. I am going back for more. This is my favorite beer so far from this local brewer.

BLUE POINT HOPTICAL MAKIN ME HAPPY

4.87/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting. Delivers hops as promised balanced nicely with high alcohol content. Really enjoyed drinking this one at the pier 97 blues festival (high alcohol content really got me grooving too).

4.86/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great cask ale. Hoppy and smooth.

4.8/5  rDev +29.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a chilled mug

Appearance--Golden copper with a slight foamy white head.

Smell--Citrus present in smell, but not overly present. Hops give it nice balance.

Taste--Brilliant balancing of bitterness and fruitiness make this brew very enjoyable. Hops also a strong characteristic (hence the name of the beer). Good medium finish.

Mouthfeel--Very good, crisp aftertaste. Hints of fruit and hops present.

Drinkability--Definitely worth having over and over again.

Overall, a very enjoyable and easy-to-drink beer, especially for an IPA. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in trying an IPA.

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%

I've been drinking this for a couple months now. It's definitely my staple beer. I drink this more than anything. Now it's time to review it.

Pours a light amber / orange color, a bit hazy with a decent white head. Lacing sticks around for the life of the 12 oz.

Smells of big time hops with a bit of malt to back it up. Citrusy, piney, grapfruit....you know, big hops and all that comes with it.

The taste is awesome. Pretty much what I've been asking for in a hopheads brew. The hops are dominent with their piney floral citrusy flavours but you get some malt in the finish and some slight bitterness to balance everything out nicely. Very, very satisfying.

Trust me, it's drinkable. I drink them often, almost every day.

What can I say? I'ts my favorite beer right now. I love it!! Find it. Drink it. Enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%