Hoptical Illusion | Blue Point Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by Hibernator on 10-03-2004

Ratings: 2,045 |  Reviews: 668

1.4/5  rDev -62.7%

As horid as Three Daughters Bimini Twist. This is not an IPA. The sickening sweet back channel malt taste is just wrong. Ewwww. No! Just...NO! Malty pine cones anyone?

1.57/5  rDev -58.1%

I don't know if I got a bad six pack. But this is terrible. I am unable to finish a single bottle. Harsh acidic taste and feel. Disgusting drain pour.

1.62/5  rDev -56.8%

No hop no head no color... No bueno. If they had spent half the time they did on the label brewing... maybe this would taste better than over priced Coor's Light. I am disappointed because their toasted lager is one of my favorites. Maybe I was just expecting too much or this is an entry level IPA if there is such a thing.

1.63/5  rDev -56.5%

Another extra courtesy of cosmicevan. Cheers!

Appearance -- Pours a pale iodine-tinted orange, high clarity, with half a finger of fizzy white head. Meh.

Smell -- Dab of honey malt sweetness, dry bread, floral hops, and a faint mineral character.

Taste -- Bready malt, hint of amber roastiness, mild honey sweetness, and floral hops. Bitterness on the palate is lacking, though the finish brings about an unpleasant bitterness akin to swallowing a gnat.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with harsh fizzy carbonation and a dry, slighty astringent finish. I really don't like.

Overall -- Miss. Had I not known this was an IPA, I would have guessed perhaps a ho-hum Altbier. Really uneventful, plus the amount of forced carbonation makes this feel like BMC. Pass.

1.66/5  rDev -55.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Why do I think a slightly hoppy Bud Light. Better than Coors but not by much. Very disappointed. I really would have been better off with a Bud Light or Coors and saved about five bucks! I would not recommend this beer at all. It's the first High Point I've tried and probably the last.

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.79/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

A: white foamy head, clear yellow orange body, very light

S: very light hint of citrus, not much else

T: Not tasty at all, seems somewhat of a small jump up from beers like Budweiser. Does not have complexity, nor balance, and has somewhat of an astringent taste. Doesn't leave a flavorful aftertaste.

M: Very light, watery.

O: Not a good beer, hard to get down. I definitely wish I chose differently.

Serving type: Bottle to IPA glass

To be fair I am not a big fan of IPA's

2.08/5  rDev -44.5%

Bottle into glass

A - Pours medium-large head, recedes to a small head with minimal lacing

S - Not a strong smell, malt, bread, perhaps a little citrus/ flower as well

T - At first is light and rather tasteless for an IPA, finishes with bitterness and alcohol flavor

M - high carbonation, very light body for an IPA

O - Just not enough flavor to go along with the alcohol bite and bitterness for an IPA. I think that cutting down on the alcohol bite would make this a good beer.

2.1/5  rDev -44%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.19/5  rDev -41.6%

This has to be one of the worst IPAs I have ever consumed. Far to malty to even taste like an IPA. No good bitters. Heavy aftertaste. Would not recommend.

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I recently moved to Mexico. One of the most frustrating things about being here is the availability of good beers - especially IPA's. When I found beerhouse.com.mx, I was ecstatic because I could get IPA's shipped directly to my house. This is one of the IPA's I bought. Unfortunately, it is not good. It is bitter - in a bad way - lacks depth, and is just very unpleasant. I wanted to like this so much. I wanted to have a go-to IPA that I could have while living South of the border. I ended up finding one, but it definitely isn't Hoptical Illusion.

Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point Brewing Company