Hoptical Illusion | Blue Point Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 2,059 |  Reviews: 669
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a nonic pint glass. The appearance was a soft bronzed burnt brown color with a slim transparency about it. Carbonation rises at a nice pace. A one finger white foamy head dissipated within less than a minute. Lacing clung nicely in a mild filmy foamy manner. The smell had some earthy and grassy hops rolling over a light herbal quality and having a nice caramel backbone to it. The taste copied the smell and added a light tobacco in the aftertaste and finish. On the palate, this one sat fairly dry with an okay sessionability about it. Carbonation felt right as an IPA. Bitterness seemed decent. Overall, I don’t mind it for me, but there’s a part of me that wants to say this is closer to an English IPA because of the way the hops come across and the smell and flavor. I could see myself having this again.

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I guess I've been spoiled by all the new hoppy beers. When Hop Gun is not available, I will reach for Hoptical Illusion, just recently though. It's an OK beer, might even say it's good for about 2 pints. It's good beer, give it a try.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.57/5  rDev -57.6%

I don't know if I got a bad six pack. But this is terrible. I am unable to finish a single bottle. Harsh acidic taste and feel. Disgusting drain pour.

3.67/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

1.4/5  rDev -62.2%

As horid as Three Daughters Bimini Twist. This is not an IPA. The sickening sweet back channel malt taste is just wrong. Ewwww. No! Just...NO! Malty pine cones anyone?

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden colored with thin off white head.

Smell: Light hops and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of light bitter pine notes and a hint of citrus.

Overall: Nothing special in my opinion. Glad I tried it anyway.

2.19/5  rDev -40.8%

This has to be one of the worst IPAs I have ever consumed. Far to malty to even taste like an IPA. No good bitters. Heavy aftertaste. Would not recommend.

3.51/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from the bottle, it pours a mostly clear dark amber and caramel color onto the glass. A moderate head recedes and leaves a creamy looking ring that retains well and leaves lacing. It's look is its best attribute.
In the nose there is light citrus and mango. There is initially a raw grain aroma that becomes sweeter and more honey and caramel like as the drink warms.
In the mouth it is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Also, the mouthfeel was wet and oily. The husky grain flavor tends to dominate at first, along with an earthy, dry tea and tobacco leaf, resiny and bitter hops bite that does not have the zest or brightness of other IPAs. I actually viewed this as a detraction in that the flavors and mouthfeel felt a little rough and acerbic. However, as it warmed the malt profile mellowed things out and made the flavor sweeter and caramel like, and the mouthfeel a bit more creamy and silky. This did improve drinkability overall.
Although it ended up being a decent IPA, it's flaws do not allow it to measure up to the greats. In all fairness, I will disclose that I drank this after a Pliny the Elder. Perhaps a bit harsh for me to judge it alongside such an iconic beer. Perhaps I'll give this one another shot under different circumstances.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.14/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Earthy and hoppy, leaves some to be desired. Beginning seems nice but then it trails off

Taste Rating in Words: It's a TV show you start to really like but midway through something happens and you just wish they would go back to the beginning.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a pale amber with an average head. The aroma starts with caramel malts, as well as resin, grass, dried mango, candied peach, cotton candy, vague floral notes, and bar soap. The flavor is lead by caramel and burnt sugar malts, with hints of peach and cannabis, some grapefruit pith, and a floral finish, with moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a solid amount of foamy carbonation. Overall this is an okay beer, but nothing really pops or draws me in.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.26/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I recently moved to Mexico. One of the most frustrating things about being here is the availability of good beers - especially IPA's. When I found beerhouse.com.mx, I was ecstatic because I could get IPA's shipped directly to my house. This is one of the IPA's I bought. Unfortunately, it is not good. It is bitter - in a bad way - lacks depth, and is just very unpleasant. I wanted to like this so much. I wanted to have a go-to IPA that I could have while living South of the border. I ended up finding one, but it definitely isn't Hoptical Illusion.

4.01/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a very good brew and a worthwhile example of its type. It doesn't have any truly off putting characteristics but it also isn't the kind of ale that causes any kind of inspiration. It is worth buying a six pack if only to add to your experience library but it isn't one I would keep buying because it isn't one of my favorites.

3.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Decent IPA, nothing to complain about. It had a good smell to it. The taste was good, not to piney, and not to citrusy. More on the hoppy side than not. Had a nice finish with no bad after taste. It was an average IPA. Not bad, but not a WOW factor.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

03/28/2015

Bottle Complements of Mike Fanning . I-95 draft 2015.

Good beer.Taste is Hops, mild citrus, grassy.

Tasty IPA; not much to go by as I drank from the bottle, but my notes say I liked this even though I drafted a crappy team (maybe that's a compliment to the beer.)

3.72/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point Brewing Company