Blue Point Toasted Lager | Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Toasted LagerBlue Point Toasted Lager

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Our flagship and most popular brew, Toasted Lager is the best American Amber Lager you’ll ever taste.

To back up that claim, we use six different grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish that’s meant to be enjoyed year-round. Pairs perfectly with fresh seafood...or any food for that matter.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-18-2001

Reviews: 478 | Ratings: 1,648
4.92/5  rDev +39.8%

I tried this beer a while back but had forgotten to review it. So today while in my favorite beertique I bought 2 6 packs of the Toasted Lager and two of the Octoberfest. These beers are the only Blue Point brews I have ever tried. But after thoroughly enjoying the Toasted Lager I have suggested it to many friends and will continue to do so

4.85/5  rDev +37.8%

Has an amber color and tastes of caramel. Smooth easy drinking and especially good on a spring day.

Had this beer on tap this weekend at Belmont Park in the Paddock Tent. As close to tasting as Sam Adams Boston Lager. Could not distinguish the difference between the two beers. An excellent micro-brew from Long Island New York. Would recommend it most highly.

4.84/5  rDev +37.5%

If you like Yuengling you will love this beer. And you'll never touch that beer again. Where Yuengling lacks Toasted makes up the toasted hops make for a great finish and little to no after taste. This beer is the Ideal pizza beer. this beer is my go to beer. I hope every one everyone enjoys this beer as much as I do.

4.77/5  rDev +35.5%

This is the most beery tasting beer ever. Starts a tinge sweet, finishes a bit like a good IPA. No candyass light beer here, tasty, heavy, fills your belly, even tastes good on a burp.

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle is decent. Draught is exceptional, comparatively. Draught comes through as a very sweet, toasted, nut; at least the last time I had it at The Gin Mill in Charlotte, over a year ago. Was excited to try the bottle since, and it was a let down.

4.65/5  rDev +32.1%

On tap at a friend's house this afternoon - Wow, did not see this one coming.

Good amber color, visible carbonation, healthy 2F head, with only some faint lacing.

Overall smell was rich and bready maltiness, with some light bitter hop quality.

Wow, this is good - Don't believe I've had a better amber lager. Mouthful of fresh 7-grain bread, caramel sweetness, and a decently hoppy bite to balance this right down the middle.

Buttery smooth, with just enough carbonated bite to keep it refreshing and encouraging of more, more, more.

With that flavor and mouthfeel, this rates huge in my book of drinkability. This is far from my favorite style, but this one now sits at the top.

4.52/5  rDev +28.4%

I got this beer in DC when searching for beers for some non-beer-drinking friends. Listening to one's tastes (Heineken and Yuengling) I knew I was shooting for a lager and knew the Full Sail Session was what I wanted, but of the 200+ beers available, that wasn't. I took a chance with the Toasted Lager.

Although I only drank a small amount, I was very surprised by the more neutral smell compared to many. S= It has a round, unoffensive, oaty or grainy subltly sweet nose. Appearance probably not something that matters for this beer. M= The mouthfeel is damn near refreshing, a very difficult attainment indeed. It falls in the short list of beers I would drink when thirsty if nothing but beer is available. The carb/beer ratio seems perfect, better than session. T= The taste is fantastic. I found it less sweet and breadier than the Session which had a little bit too much spicy sweetness, and slightly sweeter than yuengling without the more raunchy notes. My friend described it as a perfect heineken without the "gnarly" and "funky" flavors. D= Drinkability is outlandish and I would say I rank it at the top of beer to drink for extensive time without trying to get wrecked.

I hadn't seen the beer before but I do know the store, so presumably it was fairly fresh.

I'd like to point out there's no highly rated lager, period, which is strange because frankly some people prefer lager. Although I'm an ale man myself, I really do find this a fantastic beer and by far the most enjoyable lager I've had, and am looking forward to drinking it again.

4.52/5  rDev +28.4%

Although I know that my judgement of this beer is slightly biast, because I live nearby the brewery, I still think that this is one of the better beers that I have tasted. Although, I must agree that I have had it in the bottle , purchased at a local store, and it was not as good as the fresh distinct taste on tap at the brewery. The toasted flavor is distinct and original, at least to me and I can drink it all night and not get tired of it.

4.47/5  rDev +27%

had at a Hooters in Norfolk, VA
Review is from notes

A- Head is thick at first but disappears quickly. Golden dark wheat color with good lacing down the glass as you drink.

S- Wheat and sweet citrus aroma. Just a touch of toasted hops in there too.

T- Creamy wheat and light citrus. Hops leave a tiny bit of bitterness on the end but not overpowering.

M- Creamy medium body and smooth finish.

O- This one goes down really quick and easy. I thought it was an excellant beer.

4.45/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted on-tap 02/17/07 at Park Slope Ale House in Brooklyn, NY.

Dark gold with a nice off-white head. Distinct biscuity, bready, nutty aroma and flavor. A very nice use of malts to give it a unique character. Medium-light bodied and refreshing with a dry grainy finish. Very sessionable.

One of the best American Lagers I've had in a long time... seek this one out.

Per BP website: 6 diff malts: English Pale, Crystal, Munich, Carapils, Wheat and Belgian Caravienna. The "toasted" part refers to our direct-fire brew kettle’s hot flames that impart a toasted flavor.
1.054 OG
28 IBUs
5.3 % ABV

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this on tap at Fenway. Nice and light with nice toasty flavor. First beer from Blue Point I have had. Would get it again. Nothing special about the smell.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall glass mug. The liquid is a dark amber with very good carbonation. The Head it a tall 3 fingers, white with a rocky surface and it leaves just a small bit of lace.

The smell is faint, but suggests a sweet dark bread.

The taste is quite alive and extremely good. Wow, Red lager works for me but I sure with more Oktober Feast brews tasted this good. Slightly sweet, bready, and very nicely toasted.

The mouth feel is right on. This beer just fits right. Great carbonation medium body, very good indeed.

The drinkability is excellent, I will be buying more of this great beer.
prosit und Zun Wohl. MK

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

A: nice golden amber color wiht a frothy toasty finish

S: A great burst of Hops with a true bread like toasty smell

T: Rich and full flavored...as if i were toasting some campfires right over the open flames
M: Tasty, fullness with a smoooth aftertaste
D: This is a great beer, will buy again. A superb beer with a truly original taste and feel

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at Thirsty's in York, PA.

A: The lager is a calm, clear brilliant amber red color. The only carbonation activity is from the notch in the bottom of the Chimay glass. The head is thin but leaves a thick ring of lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is toasted grain, thick and breadlike with a strong biscuity body.

T: Ah! A delicious, malty lager. I find them so few and far between (especially in my cellar). It really is a shame because a good lager is very hard to beat. Here the flavor is very strong on the malts. They are biscuity, like chewing on a fresh baguette, with some nutty undertones that accentuate the tight dry flavor. The malts are highlighted by a bit of hoppy bitteress but those malts are the scene stealer here.

M: Chewy with a pleasing bread-like finish, these malts are not afraid to be bold.

D: At 5.3%, this is a beer that I could easily pound in the middle of the summer or on the coldest darkest winter night.

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

Ok, so I'm lucky enough to have a job that takes me near blue point to the brickhouse brewery in Patchogue LI. I look forward to it every month.

While i'm there, I usually pick up two growlers, one is always this brew. It's been my hands down favorite beer, and is probably the only constant in my beer fridge.

A- Dark golden color. Looks like a beer should look. From the growler, it pours with nearly 0 head into a traditional pint glass. This is not what I get from a 12oz bottle, but that's ok, I don't need a visible head to enjoy it.

S- bready, malty, toasty smells. Kind of nutty.

T- Tastes like it smells, and has a wonderful toasted aftertaste. This beer seems to get better when it warms slightly. More of the toasted flavors are revealed when I let it stand for 5 mins before drinking.

M- Not too thin, not too thick. Nice balanced carbonation. Might have more carbonation in the bottle, but I don't think so this time. Weird since theirs no head.

D- I could (and probably will) kill this entire growler in one sitting. I crave the taste this beer has, so the only thing slowing me down when drinking it, is savoring the taste. I can't beleive this beer is not rated higher.

Summary: this is a great example of a beer that deviates from the norm, but not so far as to alienate people that like the normal (IE: boring macro) stuff. Has no "macro" style taste, but IMO can be enjoyed by people that have only experience macro's thus far.

As I said before, this is one of my all time fav's, and I can't recommend it enough!

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Amber color with one finger of white head that quickly collapses but laces well on the way down.

S - Earthy, spicy hops, as well as toast, biscuit, praline, and oddly, chocolate.

T - Biscuity malts, with hints of toast, nut, and toffee. Subtle bitterness balances the malt, but doesn't steal the show. It's really weird, but I'm still getting a taste of chocolate. The moderate-length finish is balanced between herbal hops and bready malt.

M - Low carbonation, peppery and yet smooth.

D - A very enjoyable beer from start to finish. Who says lagers are boring?

4.27/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep amber, clear with a very wide white foam head, excellent retention. Aroma is of malts, caramel and some hops in the back. Taste is crisp, refreshing slightly seet. Low body with medium carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Wow, I loved this lager. It poured a dark blonde basically a light brown with a foamy tan head. The aroma is initially sour musty with a sweet fruity background followed by a oaky vanilla flavor. The taste is fantastic, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, sugar cookies are all upfront with a pungent spicy lemon citrus background for balance. This is a playful lager that tantalizes the palate with sweet and funky notes.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Gorgeous, clear amber in the glass with a nice foamy head and bubbles climbing up the sides. Malt (a toasted-like scent, really) in the nose with the same in the initial taste. Nicely balanced fruity/bitter hops and a touch of sweetness that brings the whole beer together. The "toasty" flavor is apparent and, actually, quite unique and flavorful. All in all, a very good beer and one that could be enjoyed over and over again. Very smooth and drinkable. Serve this to your macro-loving friends when you're introducing them to micros. They'll be hooked.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Blue Point Brewing Company is a great brewery, almost all their beers are top notch. The Toasted Lager is my favorite. Nice lager taste and color. Very refreshing, any time of year. A great hop'py bite, right there for you to taste, but not overpowering at all. A great beer to have when you plan to have 12 or so, not filling at all. Love it.

4.24/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My first toasted lager and I was quite pleased with the overall experience.

As crisp as a lager but with the bold taste of an ale, this toasted lager was a good and refreshing surprise on a hot FL day. Out of the bottle it pours a dark amber color with nice head and great lacing. The smell was something more than a lager, but something less than an ale - and I really liked it. It was well carbonated but the feel was still crisp and light. The taste was distinctly "lager-ish" but had an added flavor due to the roasted malts? Anyway, I liked it and am very glad I picked up a sixer earlier this week.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A smooth beer that balances flavor, malt, hops and grains. Creating a full bodied beer that amazingly feels light.

Taste Rating in Words: Imagine a man relaxing on the log roll, he doesn't have to try and the log is spinning like a tire on the highway, take all this and roll it into a beer.

4.21/5  rDev +19.6%

A- Light amber with a beautiful thick tannish head and equisite laceing.

S- Quite floral with some bready undertones.

T- Quite a satifying brew. More bread and toast with a nice malty taste but not overdone.

M- Crisp but at the same time it feels light and soft in the mouth.

D- A solid brew for its style. Good session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

I sometimes wish my local watering hole served burgers, because a burger and a plate of fries would be perfect with Blue Point Toasted Lager.

Pours a great color into a pint glass, smooth and creamy on the tongue, with a nice toasted flavor. Definitely a beer I could drink more than one of, and generally one I would choose over other lagers on tap.

4.18/5  rDev +18.8%

A: Pours a copper color with frothy white head that sticks around a while.

S: Slight aroma of toasted grain with a definite fruity note thrown in.

T: Delicious toasted grain/bready flavor up front with a kiss of floral hops in the end.

O: This is one fine Vienna Lager, probably the best American version I have had.

Blue Point Toasted Lager from Blue Point Brewing Company