Blue Point Winter Ale | Blue Point Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Blue Point Winter AleBlue Point Winter Ale

1.75/5  rDev -50%

1.92/5  rDev -45.1%

Freshly stocked six-pack, right off the shelf. BB:4/07

Nestea in color
A thick scratchy head, but nothing last forever.

A sharp, acidic malt rushes my senses.
I almost feel like I just ran through the fragrance department at Macy's, but nowhere as unique. The inside of my nose actually feels more like I just sprayed & subsequently walked into a mist of Lysol. A bubbly, alcoholic burn runs through my sinuses.
Where is it coming from? This is medicinal. I'm awake.

Creamy, with a bit more carbonation then I was expecting. Edgy going down. The alcohol climbs back up your nose.
A bit of a hop tone underneath that saves it from an Aunt Jemima finish.

This isn't a winter ale, & that that didn't help my initial opinion.
I struggled through this bottle when I really shouldn't have. It struck my notes in a way that I didn't enjoy. I would be able to drink a fairly decent amount of this had the its scent not made me queasy.

I'll see what happens when the last bottles go down around Christmas.

2.16/5  rDev -38.3%

On tap in Windsor, CT.

Really light and weak for a winter. Surprising lack of spice and, despite its nice amber-brown color and 1/2 finger head, the beer is more dry and hoppy than I expected. Grainy and parsing.

Its something different, but I won't go for this one again. The taste is unbalanced and the body too thin. Lacks the wintry flavors and substantive malts and complexity of a winter brew.

Aptly categorized as an amber/red ale. It claims, however, to be a winter ale and I have rated it accordingly.

2.23/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

2.32/5  rDev -33.7%

From the cask at KClinger’s. The tender delivered a deep, dark red beer with an ice-creamy, frothy head. On the tongue, this has that silky cask feel. On reflection, this was oddly bitter, almost like an unripe pear. It had a bit of a caramel nectar as a base, but the woody bitterness doesn’t match well. Disappointing. (#2652, 1/14/07)

2.43/5  rDev -30.6%

You cant get much more boring then the Blue Point Winter. It pours and smells descent enough, but I guess even the nose is a little boring. Its a malt bomb, all you taste is malt, and its so boring I had trouble choking down just a single pint. On that note, Besides the Blueberry and Toasted Lager, I feel that Bluepoints quality has really let me down, and being a long islander it is kind of sad. Im to the point where I wont even recommend this brewery or its beers if im out and someone hasnt tried it. Anyone else feel the same? Anyway the bluepoint winter is one of the most boring, uninspired, borderline undrinkable beers of the year.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled this beer from a 12oz bottle from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa... As far as a Winter Ale is concerned, the weak 4.5% ABV hardly does justice for warming up during a cold winter night... the beer pours an off-color amber color with minimal lacing and no head... smell is full of grain, corn, and slight hops... taste is oily and not too appealing... rather bitter and somewhat medicinal that was uninviting and totally unappealing... not impressed at all, and a poor sample from a company that did good things with their Blueberry Ale and Toasted Lager... This is one that should be avoided...

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [4.00] Pours a nice mahogany color. Fors a small 1/2 finger of off white head. the head is creamy with dense bubbles. The head is gone pretty quickly. The bottle lists the ABV (7%) and there is a date code. I think it indicates this beer is 6 months old.

S: [2.00] Almost no nose. I am whiffing and whiffing. There is just nothing.

T: [2.75] I am getting a lot of alcohol coming through. That is weird for a 7% beer. It also has a bit of weird hop presence.

M: [2.75] The feel is okay - but there is a long lingering dry/bitter finish from the alcohol and the hops. It is not a pleasant finish.

O: [2.75] This is either a really old bottle and this doesn't age well - or - this is not a good beer. I am not enjoying this one. There is no nose at all. The taste is alcohol and weird bitter. I almost feel like I am drinking a bad scotch. It is just off for me.

2.66/5  rDev -24%

I was hoping for more from this one... things didn't turn out as I'd hope.
Started out well enough (purchased at B & B Beverage Distributors in Queens) with a pretty pour; a deep red/crimson color.
Things go downhill from there. Not very much of anything in the nose; a bit of sweetness, a splash of smokeyness.
The taste is that of improperly brewed coffee. Overly bitter and watered down, this becomes more pronounced in the mouthfeel/finish of the sip.
Some of these things might be forgiven if there was more alcohol in this or something (which I'd assume from something with 'winter ale' on the label) ... I suppose I don't really care for amber ales and marketing this as a winter ale, in my opinion, is a mistake.
On the bright side, I revisited Southern Tier's Old Man Winter ale after trying the Blue Point winter and the Southern Tier was much, much better by comparison.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- dark amber in color.. thick khaki, cratered head that sticks to the glass..really nice appearance

S- quite malty, spice

T- taste is malty, mid palate I get that bright burst of sweetness like a burnt powdered sugar with nutmeg, cinnamon, candied ginger, also a somewhat unpleasant solvent, nail polish, plastic type taste tht hides in the back
this would b a great winter brew if it wasn't for the solventy taste..2.5/5