Blue Point Old Howling Bastard | Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States
bluepointbrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

Our special barley wine is made with English 2-row barley and Vienna malt. Its robust, malty, caramel flavor is balanced by lots and lots of hops, giving it a great depth of character.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, I like barley wines. I've had a few different brands and I overall like the style. Old Howling Bastard ("OHB") is an excellent representative of the style. I agree with other posters here that there are better barley wines out there but this is a great brand to use as the "standard" representative of the style. There will likely be better brands and there will likely be worst brands depending on your taste but the OHB is a great, balanced, everyday barley wine suitable for most palettes. An extremely enjoyable beer!

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- 3 finger luscious head that peaks out above the wine glass I poured it into. that's right, the bottle suggests a wine glass. a light brown with copper tones that is somewhere between opaque and clear.

S- sweet caramel malts dominate the nose at first. it actually smells like a caramel chew candy. alcohol is the other smell I gather.

F- sweet and sour caramel malts with alcohol. brown sugar and raisins/dates comes out on the back end. I also gather some sort of citrus hop as well.

M- booze booze and booze. Warm and strong alcohol feeling as it goes down the throat. In the mouth it feels slightly overcarbonated but the flavors compensate well for that.

O- A good barleywine. it has been awhile since I have had a barleywine and this one I would have again. The caramel really sells me on this beer.

4.26/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Drinking a 2008 bottle at cellar temp. The bottle is wax sealed capped 750 ml.

I pour the beer into a stemless wine glass and get a rich chestnut colored beer with some ruby highlights and minimal beige head. There is a large sediment bar at the bottom of the bottle so I decant towards the end and leave the sediment behind.
The aroma is dark fruits and malt with toffee and brown sugar, I also get just a little booziness. No hiding that this is a big beer so far.

The first sip reveals a sticky thick body with minimal spacious carbonation. Coats my palate with each swallow and is a fairly heavy beer on the feel.
Flavor is what I got on the nose, with malt up front caramel, brown sugar, plums, raisins, general sweetness. This rolls to a slightly dry and bitter finish, which I attribute to the alcohol more than hops as I havent found them anywhere throughout this sampling.
This is a big robust beer yet somehow I finish my glass fairly quickly and am surprised when the bottle is gone.
I would buy this again and wonder how different it was fresh?

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For starters, Barley wines have never been a big hit with me. I've tried a number of them and also felt that the malt just hit you in the face too much.
So, this one started off on the right foot. The pour was clean, dark brown, not black but you could see the fullness of this beer. The aroma no question was of malt and I also picked up a bit of chocolate and something spicy, but could not figure that out.
The initial taste was bold and full. But it was very balanced, there was just enough malt, just enough body and the abv helped balance everything.
The finish was smooth and very satisfying

So now, after about a dozen or so barley wines, I have find another one that I have liked. Thats two for me!

Blue Point Old Howling Bastard from Blue Point Brewing Company