Toxic Sludge Black IPA | Blue Point Brewing Company

Blue Point Brewing Company
New York, United States
bluepointbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

While birds of a feather stick together, their wings should not. We blew our cap seeing images of oilslick seabirds and thinking about what may happen to more of our fine, feathered-friends as they migrate south this fall, so we hatched this flighty idea for a specialty brew called 'Toxic Sludge'.
All of the proceeds will benefit Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research's "Spreading Our Wings" campaign and their efforts to build a Wildlife Response Annex. To learn more, please visit: www.tristatebird.org
In times of crisis (like this) we figure you can either hibernate or participate.
Try this tasty, dry-hopped Black IPA, it's as smooth as water off a duck's back. So everytime you drink one, please let out a loud squawk in honor of our beautiful, beaked brethen.
We hope you can dig deep in your hearts (and pockets) to help support the effort.
Be Well,
Mark & Pete

Added by mcallister on 08-04-2010

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

4.64/5  rDev +23.7%

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

A – A great looking brew. Gemstone mahogany with ruby highlights. Thick, creamy, bone-white head lasts a lifetime leaving sheets of lace throughout the drink.

S – Roasty malt with a delicious, smooth, earthy hop character.

T – Char up front rolls seamlessly into a bold woody hop flavor. Strong roast flavors carry through a semi-bitter finish. Not overly complex, but what’s there is delicious and well executed.

M – Full body has a great smoothness.

O – Best example of the style I’ve had to date.

4.59/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a ruby-brown color into a pint glass with a three-quarter inch head. I smell hops! Wonderfully balanced hop to malt character. Roasted malt flavor, bitterness of some hops, tons of carbonation. Feels very crisp on the tongue and goes down easy like a coke on a hot summer day. This is a delicious beer.

4.53/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall I think of this as the best black IPA I have ever had. Granted, I haven't had a ton, but I love this one. It has a sharp, pungent aroma that is unique amongst black IPA's... it is very reminiscent of a porter/stout actually.

What I really want to add to these reviews is this... a couple of days ago a opened a bottle that I have had sitting on a shelf for over a year which I purchased directly from the brewery (I live in the area). All I can say is WOW! I always enjoyed this beer but never realized how much it actually improved with age. It was creamier and brought out all of the best flavors in the beer. Really quite fantastic. If you have the means, pick up some 22 oz bottles, have patience, and let them sit for a minimum of a year. You won't be disappointed.

4.44/5  rDev +18.4%

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

4.35/5  rDev +16%

Light brown head almost beige in color. While held up to the light a dark cherry like color with lots of noticeable carbonation. As the head settles down, it leaves a nice creamy film. I didn't think it was going to leave any lacing but it turns out it left some very foamy lacing on the glass.

As far as the aroma goes -- caramel, chocolate and a slight smokiness. I also get a scent of some dark fruits.

The taste is absolutely delicious! Chocolate and caramel with roasted malt seem to take center stage but in the middle dark fruits come in like cherries and some grape flavors. At the very end -- the true bitter IPA flavors come in alongside with citrus and pine; there is also just a hint of alcohol noticeable.

The body is creamy with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Incredibly smooth, slides right down, it feels really nice.

Wow! One of the best tasting "black IPA's" I have ever tried and this beer genre is one of my favorites. Almost, perfect except for some minor flaws. This is a must pick-me-up if you see this. On top of this being incredibly tasty, you will be helping out a great cause.

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Had this at a cask event in NYC was surprised to be able to find a bottle in CT!

A) - Nice almost jet black color...medium head.

S) - This smells more than like a stout so what's next.

T) - Smokey, malty just with a slight hops bite. Is this really an IPA

M) - Medium Carbonation

D) - Very easy

Very happy with this beer. Could drink it all night. I do have to say seems more like an extra hoppy stout to me but enjoyable none the less!

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours an almost jet black with a hint of brown around the edges. The head starts out at about 3/4" and whittled down to a light skin on the beer. The smell is amazing! There are so many different aromas that definitely work together. There is the initial hop aroma of citrus and pine but mixes very well with the slight coffee and chocolate from the dark malts. These two aromas work very well together. The taste starts out with the strong hop bite of an IPA but it mellows out in to a great mix of citrus and chocolate. There is a slight hint of coffee bitterness mixed with the sharp hop bitterness. Two different styles mixing perfectly. The mouthfeel is the perfect yin and yang as well. There is an easy drinking IPA melded perfectly a smooth, velvety oatmeal stout. I love this style and this is a great representation.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Enjoyed this beer on tap at the Golden Rail Ale House in Newburgh, NY. This beer pours black with medium body consistency. An off-white to tan head which is roughly one finger with nice lacing all the way through. Definite floral and piney aroma up front with a hint of chocolate. Citric and Piney hop notes with a nice roasty, coffee malt balance. @ 7% this beer is nicely balanced and is an enjoyable Black IPA. I would definitely recommend this beer because its very drinkable and also helps a good cause.

Toxic Sludge Black IPA from Blue Point Brewing Company